ECT Confusion Over Being "Born Again"

Jerry Shugart

Paul said there is only one baptism and that would be the one he taught in Romans 6.

Yes, the baptism into Jesus Christ which is spoken of at Galatians 3:27-28 which is a baptism into the Body of Christ, the same baptism mentioned at 1 Corinthians 12:13.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, the baptism into Jesus Christ which is spoken of at Galatians 3:27-28 which is a baptism into the Body of Christ

Paul said, "Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:3-4)

Jerry Shugart

Paul said, "Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:3-4)

As I have already explained, the baptism spoken of there is a baptism into the Body of Christ perrformed by the One Spirit (1 Cor.12:13).

That is the one baptism. Or are you willing to argue that the one baptism for today is the rite of water baptism to the exclusion of the one at 1 Corinthians 12:13?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
As I have already explained, the baptism spoken of there is a baptism into the Body of Christ perrformed by the One Spirit (1 Cor.12:13).

That is the one baptism. Or are you willing to argue that the one baptism for today is the rite of water baptism to the exclusion of the one at 1 Corinthians 12:13?

Paul was not a false teacher, his teachings were based on the OT. Paul only taught one baptism and it was the baptism he experienced.

Paul's letter to the Romans reflected his only teaching on baptism.

I'm done with this subject.

:bang:

turbosixx

When the Corinthians read this, how would they know the "one baptism" that put them into Christ is Spirit and not their water baptism in Jesus' name?

1 Cor. 1:13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not only that but Jerry claims Paul taught one kind of baptism to the Corinthians and a different kind of baptism to the Romans.

And yet Paul said there is one baptism.

Jerry Shugart

When the Corinthians read this, how would they know the "one baptism" that put them into Christ is Spirit and not their water baptism in Jesus' name?

1 Cor. 1:13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Because it is a person who baptizes during the rite of water baptism but it is the One Spirit who baptizes believers into the Body of Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Because it is a person who baptizes during the rite of water baptism but it is the One Spirit who baptizes believers into the Body of Christ.

The Spirit works through people, angels, and animals. To work in the physical dimension the Spirit needs a physical body.

Only persons who have died are inducted into the body of Christ through whom God's kingdom will reign on the earth.

Have you died in a watery grave or did you just appoint yourself into the kingdom?

Jerry Shugart

The Spirit works through people, angels, and animals. To work in the physical dimension the Spirit needs a physical body.

Only persons who have died are inducted into the body of Christ through whom God's kingdom will reign on the earth.

Have you died in a watery grave or did you just appoint yourself into the kingdom?

No one could be baptized with water unless they first believed. And by the time a person believes he is already saved and in the Body of Christ.

God's Truth

There is disagreement between people on this thread in regard to what happens when someone is "born again." Let us look at this passage from the pen of Peter:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23-25).​

The Greek word translated "being born again" is in the present tense so can we not understand that when a person believes the gospel he is at that time born again?

We can see James speak of the same truth here:

"He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created" (Jas.1:18).

Here the Lord Jesus also speaks about being born again:

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"
(Jn.3:16).​

Is there any reason not to think that in this instance when a person believes the gospel then at that moment they are born again?

Another question that must be considered is whether or not being "born again" is the same thing as being "born of the Spirit" and being "born of God."

Thanks!

Being born again is the same as being born of the Spirit and the same as born of God.

No one is saved just because they believed.

There are people who believed most of their life and were not saved.

God's Truth

On this forum I have maintained that a person is born of the Spirit when they are conceived.

A person is not born of the Spirit when they are conceived. We are all given our own spirit when we are conceived. We do not receive the Holy Spirit until we are saved.
But I still cannot understand why you think that the words "boen again" refer to different things when the Lord used them than they do when Peter used them.

Being born again means you were washed clean after repenting and you have a new life---born again and have no sin and have the Holy Spirit living inside of you.

Jerry Shugart

No one is saved just because they believed.

If you are right then Paul was wrong:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16;30-31).​

Despite the fact that you have been shown this truth numerous times you just refuse to believe that faith in the word of God is sufficient in of itself to being life. the lord Jesus said:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

God's Truth

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16;30-31).​

Despite the fact that you have been shown this truth numerous times you just refuse to believe that faith in the word of God is sufficient in of itself to being life. the lord Jesus said:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).​

Paul never taught that no one has to repent of their sins and have faith. It is exactly what he preached to EVERYONE.

Acts 20:21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.

daqq

Paul was not a false teacher, his teachings were based on the OT. Paul only taught one baptism and it was the baptism he experienced.

Paul's letter to the Romans reflected his only teaching on baptism.

I'm done with this subject.

:bang:

Not only that but Jerry claims Paul taught one kind of baptism to the Corinthians and a different kind of baptism to the Romans.

And yet Paul said there is one baptism.

An immersion has seven steps, plunges, or "dips", (just as the teaching is expounded through Elisha concerning Naaman the leper, who is told to go and dip or plunge seven times in the Jordan), and therefore the overall immersion can still be called "one immersion", (having seven steps, dips, or plunges). The immersions from 1Cor 1:14-16 are illustrated for us in the book of Acts, (though most would not understand them to be immersions), for we read first of the immersion of Stephanos under the authority of Saul, (in a hail of fiery stones, Acts 7:58-60), and then we read of the immersion of Crispus the chief ruler of a synagogue, (Acts 18:8), whose name is then changed to "Sosthenes", (saved, safely approved, or confirmed, Acts 18:17, 1Cor 1:1). Crispus-Sosthenes was dragged before the judgment seat and beaten, (Acts 18:17), which was no doubt another fiery immersion. Then we read of the immersion of Gaius beginning in Acts 19:29, in the midst of the uproar at Ephesus concerning their goddess Diana, (Artemis), and Gaius was rushed upon and dragged into the arena-theater at Ephesus by the angry mob. These are immersions and part of the overall "one immersion", that is, the step which typically confirms ones faith such as taught by the meaning of the name "Sosthenes", (saved, approved, confirmed, and his name is changed right there in the context running through Acts 18:8, 17), and that step is typically violent, whether physically speaking, or whether speaking in supernal or spiritual terms, (as in visions and dreams such as Acts 2 at Pentecost and the visions of the prophet Joel, blood, fire, vapors and pillars of smoke). And of course after Saul had immersed Stephanos his name is changed to Stephanas, (1Cor 1:16), and he becomes the first-fruits of Achaia, (1Cor 16:15), and Saulos himself would likewise eventually be immersed; and his name was changed to Paulos, ("the little"). Immersion can be violent but it does not necessarily need to be physical in idiomatic terms and in the supernal way. See? If I know the scripture and I speak the Word in uprightness and truth then I have laid my hands on you, (just a little), but with others whose ears are plugged it can really get violent sometimes. :chuckle:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

According to you Paul was wrong anyway because he most certainly did teach water baptism.

You claim he taught a different type of baptism to another group.

One thing to one group and something totally different to a different group.