ECT Confusion Over Being "Born Again"

Jerry Shugart

begotten - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/begotten
[/indent]

Why do you reject the meaning of the Greek word translated "begotten" which I provided?

The Greek word gennaō is translated "begotten" and here it is used of being born:

"And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born (gennaō)"
(Mt.2:4).​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why do you reject the meaning of the Greek word translated "begotten" which I provided?

Why do you reject the meaning of the Greek gennao which can mean conceive. Jesus was conceived before he was born.

It is written: "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:20-21)

Jerry Shugart

Why do you reject the meaning of the Greek gennao which can mean conceive. Jesus was conceived before he was born.

I never denied that is one of the meanings. Tell me why we should not think that the words of the Lord Jesus when He said "born again" was not the same meaning when Peter used the same words.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It is written: "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:20-21)
The word itself has the basic meaning of "bring forth", so both conceive and born can be expressed with that word.
But it is not only used of a conception or birth of a living being, but can refer to abstract things also.

2 Timothy 2:23 KJV
(23) But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

Same word (gennao) as conceive and born.

In other words, ,,,,,

But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do bring forth stifes.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I never denied that is one of the meanings. Tell me why we should not think that the words of the Lord Jesus when He said "born again" was not the same meaning when Peter used the same words.

You asked, "Is there any reason not to think that in this instance when a person believes the gospel then at that moment they are born again?"

My answer was that a person must be begotten before they are born to which you said they are the same thing. I'm not sure what you meant by that, obviously begotten and born are not the same thing.

Life begins at conception, not birth.

We are begotten as a spirit person at baptism when we become a new being and the old person dies.

We are begotten as a spirit person in order to be born as a spirit person.

This is pretty elementary.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The word itself has the basic meaning of "bring forth", so both conceive and born can be expressed with that word.

And the proper meaning must be determined by the context in which the word is used.

Jerry asserts conception and birth are the same thing. Foolish and unlearned assertions avoid, knowing that they do bring forth strife.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And the proper meaning must be determined by the context in which the word is used.
:up: Yep.

But sometimes the context is not expressly given for what each word MUST mean and is left ambiguous

Jerry asserts conception and birth are the same thing.
He doesn't mean they (conceive and birth) happen at the same time, but they do 'mean' the same thing - bring forth.

Jesus was conceived (brought forth) in the womb of Mary, and was born (brought forth) from the womb of Mary.
Just as an idea can be conceived (in man in thought), and also born (from man in action).

Jerry Shugart

My answer was that a person must be begotten before they are born to which you said they are the same thing. I'm not sure what you meant by that, obviously begotten and born are not the same thing.

On this forum I have maintained that a person is born of the Spirit when they are conceived.

But I still cannot understand why you think that the words "boen again" refer to different things when the Lord used them than they do when Peter used them.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
He doesn't mean they (conceive and birth) happen at the same time, but they do 'mean' the same thing - bring forth.

In post 32 Jerry said, "On this forum I have maintained that a person is born of the Spirit when they are conceived."

That sounds to me like a person is born of the Spirit and conceived at the same time, which is absurd.

Jerry Shugart

That sounds to me like a person is born of the Spirit and conceived at the same time, which is absurd.

As Tambora noted, the Greek word translated "born" can mean "to bring forth." So we can understand when a person is conceived the Spirit comes forth unto that person.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
As Tambora noted, the Greek word translated "born" can mean "to bring forth." So we can understand when a person is conceived the Spirit comes forth unto that person.

Resurrection is also a bringing forth of a person. Baptism pictures our death, burial, and resurrection. We are brought forth as a new person and we bury the former person in a watery grave.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So are you saying that a person is born of the Spirit when he submits to the rite of water baptism?

No, conceived as a spirit person to be born at Christ's coming.

The holy Spirit is associated with baptism. If a person does not have the Spirit of Christ the person does not belong to Christ.

Jerry Shugart

No, conceived as a spirit person to be born at Christ's coming.

The holy Spirit is associated with baptism. If a person does not have the Spirit of Christ the person does not belong to Christ.

Today there is only one baptism (Eph.4:5) and that baptism is performed by the One Spirit (1 Cor.12:13). it is not one with water.

turbosixx

There is disagreement between people on this thread in regard to what happens when someone is "born again." Let us look at this passage from the pen of Peter:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23-25).​

The Greek word translated "being born again" is in the present tense so can we not understand that when a person believes the gospel he is at that time born again?

We can see James speak of the same truth here:

"He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created" (Jas.1:18).

Here the Lord Jesus also speaks about being born again:

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"
(Jn.3:16).​

Is there any reason not to think that in this instance when a person believes the gospel then at that moment they are born again?

Another question that must be considered is whether or not being "born again" is the same thing as being "born of the Spirit" and being "born of God."

Thanks!

I believe what Jesus means by being "born again" is that the Jews trusted in the fact that they were God's people by birth.
Luke 3:8 Therefore bear fruits in keeping with repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham for our father,’ for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham.
Pedigree means nothing in becoming a believer.

Jews being born into God's people doesn't mean they knew God, they had to be taught. That is the reason God says Heb. 8:11“And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen,
And everyone his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
(Christians must know God in order to become a Christian)For all will know Me, From the least to the greatest of them.

Yes, we are born of the Spirit.
Gal. 4:28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.

Jerry Shugart

Pedigree means nothing in becoming a believer...Jews being born into God's people doesn't mean they knew God, they had to be taught...Yes, we are born of the Spirit.
Gal. 4:28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.

Correct! Christians are already born again (born of the Spirit) and that happened when they believed the gospel (1 Pet.1:23-25).