ECT Clearing up the confusion of Creation!

iamaberean

The confusion of creation explained.

Gen 1 is about the creation of all things by God. It is explained to be done in six days. This everyone agrees, but the debate comes here on the length of those six days. Some say six 24 hour days. Others believe the days to be thousands of years. This, for the one who believes 24 hour days, creates confusion. That is because animal and the bones of man have been found to be many thousands of years old.

Let us not be confused, the time frame is not really important, in one respect, if we just believe that God created all things. The real confusion comes because most believe that the sixth day refers to the man named Adam, not mankind. How could this line of thinking cause confusion?

1. God doesn’t give a name to mankind, just that they were to go into all the world.

2. Gen 2 is not a repeat of Gen 1, just not in the same order.

Let us try to clear up these two points.

In Gen 1, it speaks of creation but in Gen 2 it speaks of forming. One should not think these two words are interchangeable because God intended for us to be able to understand and avoid confusion.
a. Creation is to make something from nothing.
b. Forming is to make something from something else.

In Gen 1 it points out that ‘God’ created man. In Gen 2 it points out that ‘LORD God’ formed Adam from the earth and put him in a garden east of Eden, not to venture into all the earth as in Gen 1.

a. Since ‘God’ is a plurality it does not have the same meaning as ‘LORD God’. I am not saying there are two different God’s , as we think of God, just that the meanings change.

b. How would a Jewish Rabbi explain the difference? He would tell you that there are many Gods (spirits} but only one ‘LORD God’.

So here is where we are at, God created man on the sixth day and in the seventh day LORD God formed Adam from the earth and Eve from Adam’s rib. May I also point out that on the seventh day LORD God also formed the animals from the field (domestic animals).

In conclusion:

Gen 1 is about the creation of all things.

Gen 2 is about covenant creation. This is the time LORD God made a covenant with Adam and his descendants. Most figure that the time of the covenant until now has been around 7000 years. But from the time God created all things, one can not conclude this without causing:

CONFUSION!

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion

To eliminate much confusion learn how to read the bible with this free book on
Bible Hermeneutics.

https://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/te...neutics/milton_terry_biblicalhermeneutics.pdf

Last edited:

oatmeal

Gen 1 is about the creation of all things by God. It is explained to be done in six days. This everyone agrees, but the debate comes here on the length of those six days. Some say six 24 hour days. Others believe the days to be thousands of years. This, for the one who believes 24 hour days, creates confusion. That is because animal and the bones of man have been found to be many thousands of years old.

Let us not be confused, the time frame is not really important, in one respect, if we just believe that God created all things. The real confusion comes because most believe that the sixth day refers to the man named Adam, not mankind. How could this line of thinking cause confusion?

1. God doesn’t give a name to mankind, just that they were to go into all the world.

In Gen 1, it speaks of creation but in Gen 2 it speaks of forming. One should not think these two words are interchangeable because God intended for us to be able to understand and avoid confusion.

In Gen 1 it points out that ‘God’ created man. In Gen 2 it points out that ‘LORD God’ formed Adam from the earth and put him in a garden east of Eden, not to venture into all the earth as in Gen 1.

a. Since ‘God’ is a plurality it does not have the same meaning as ‘LORD God’. I am not saying there are two different God’s , as we think of God, just that the meanings change.

b. How would a Jewish Rabbi explain the difference? He would tell you that there are many Gods (spirits} but only one ‘LORD God’.

So here is where we are at, God created man on the sixth day and in the seventh day LORD God formed Adam from the earth and Eve from Adam’s rib. May I also point out that on the seventh day LORD God also formed the animals from the field (domestic animals).

In conclusion:

Gen 2 is about covenant creation. This is the time LORD God made a covenant with Adam and his descendants. Most figure that the time of the covenant until now has been around 7000 years. But from the time God created all things, one can not conclude this without causing:

CONFUSION!

Genesis 2:4-7 elaborates on things He did earlier.

OCTOBER23

It proves that during the DAYLIGHT GOD WORKED

and at night from Evening to Morning God did NO WORK.

Therefore, the Day starts at Sunrise.

Interplanner

I don't think the debate is about lengths of days. It is about the opening scene. How long was earth formless, void, dark? What other places in the universe have those features as mentioned even in the Bible, and why? Why did God have to shake out the earth like a tent or blanket before laying the foundations, in Job 38?

The typical format of Moses when writing was:
1, section title or summary
2, pre-existing situation
3, new action
4, possible end summary

This is found throughout the Torah. So v1 is a title or summary; it is not the action yet. Some translations have tried to preserve this by placing some duration of time about the opening scene of earth: 'the earth was already...' or 'Now the earth was (meaning already was...)...'

iamaberean

It says "six days."

What confusion is there? :idunno:

It confused me because I couldn't understand why God would bury bones in the ground of species that are never recorded in the bible but very obliviously were here. I know this sounds 'so spiritual' but when I don't understand something I ask God to show me.

In Gen 1 the only solution is that the days were not 24 hour days, they were thousands of years in man's understanding, but little time to God.

So when mankind makes the assumption that earth is only a few thousand years old, they have to believe that other men are lying simply because they themselves don't understand God's word.

iamaberean

The heathen told him it takes millions of years for the earth to make oil. And his public school brainwashing does not permit critical thinking skills.

Some time we need to look at God's time clock.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

thousand
chilioi
khil'-ee-oy
Plural of uncertain affinity; a thousand: - thousand.

This means an uncertain number and unless it is qualified with a number such as 1, 2, 3 etc it is an unknown.

It is like saying 'God owns the cattle on a thousand hills'. That would be ridiculous for anyone to take it literally.

Psa 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It confused me because I couldn't understand why God would bury bones in the ground of species that are never recorded in the bible.
Begging the question is a logical fallacy.

...very obliviously...
Very. :chuckle:

When I don't understand something I ask God to show me.
Perhaps you should open your eyes first. :up:

In Gen 1 the only solution is that the days were not 24 hour days, they were thousands of years in man's understanding, but little time to God.
Did you read Genesis 7?

So when mankind makes the assumption that earth is only a few thousand years old, they have to believe that other men are lying simply because they themselves don't understand God's word.
Or, "obliviously," you could just be a drug-addled moron. :thumb:

iamaberean

Did you read Genesis 7?

I would like for you to explain the prehistoric bones that have been found.

If you try to discredit the scientists then you are saying, in effect, that God is deceiving them and us. God is not a deceiver, that is the devil's business. We can not deny that bones of dinosaurs do exist. If that doesn't mean they walked the earth, what else could it mean?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If you try to discredit the scientists then you are saying, in effect, that God is deceiving them and us.
Or you could be an ignorant fool.

We can not deny that bones of dinosaurs do exist. If that doesn't mean they walked the earth, what else could it mean?
:dizzy:

Derf

I don't think the debate is about lengths of days. It is about the opening scene. How long was earth formless, void, dark?

I think this is a valid question, but I also think Ex 20:11 limits the number of days to 6 for the earth and the heavens (including the stars). So the best way to get more "time" in the same number of days is to lengthen the days.

But can you lengthen the days and hold to the same definition of "day", which is constrained by the "evening" and "morning". I've heard the arguments that those words can convey the idea that "evening" is less ordered and "morning" is more ordered, but I think you have to stretch the text too much for that.

The best I've come up with is to suggest that if God is stretching the heavens, then there are some parts of the heavens that are experiencing more gravity than others, with more mass involved, so that if the light is coming from an outside source (but before the sun is available in day 4), then the earth must be the source of the material that is being stretched out, and therefore, early on, there is much more material in and around the earth than is away from the earth, so the earth will rotate much slower, and time will be affected such that thousands/millions/billions of "years" pass in the universe areas away from the earth, while very little time passes one the earth (ala Russ Humphreys' partially fleshed out theory, perhaps).

Or (more simply) that the earth rotates so slowly that much time passes during a "day".

The second (simpler) idea would negate the idea of 6 "24-hour" days, but the text doesn't require it, as long as the earth only rotates once, however long the day lasts. There are problems with this idea, in that each section of the earth would face the light source for multiple millions of "years" at a time. Is that a problem? I'm not sure--depends on those initial conditions we can hardly guess at, like how much heat did the earth generate, and how much heat did the light source generate, and when did the days get down to something close to what we recognize as a day now.

I'm using quotation marks for time markers, as all of the bible's time markers are relative to the rotation of the earth and the revolution of the earth around the light source/sun.

For instance, today in normal speech, a day is defined as "24 hours", but an hour is defined as 1/24th of a day. A year is defined as 365 days (maybe 360 early on??), but a day is 1/365th of a year. We could say a day is 86400 seconds long, but despite the official definition of a second as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom", since 1967, if the cesium atom resonance somehow changed, we would still go to bed when it got dark and get up when it got light (approximately).

Last edited:

way 2 go

Some time we need to look at God's time clock.

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

thousand
chilioi
khil'-ee-oy
Plural of uncertain affinity; a thousand: - thousand.

This means an uncertain number and unless it is qualified with a number such as 1, 2, 3 etc it is an unknown.

It is like saying 'God owns the cattle on a thousand hills'. That would be ridiculous for anyone to take it literally.

Psa 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
1 rotation of the earth = 1 day

there was evening and there was morning

Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

iamaberean

Did you read Genesis 7?

I have already asked you this, but you have not replied.

If you try to discredit the scientists then you are saying, in effect, that God is deceiving them and us. God is not a deceiver, that is the devil's business. We can not deny that bones of dinosaurs do exist. If that doesn't mean they walked the earth, what else could it mean?

oatmeal

In conclusion:

CONFUSION!

To eliminate much confusion learn how to read the bible with this free book on
Bible Hermeneutics.

https://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/te...neutics/milton_terry_biblicalhermeneutics.pdf

Gen 1 is about the creation of all things by God. It is explained to be done in six days.

Really?

This everyone agrees,

Not everyone.

True, so what did God say he created on the second day?

the third day?

the fourth day?

the first day?

Nothing. God does not say he created anything on those days.

He created "in beginning" and on the fifth and sixth day, but not on the first through fourth days.

Until we trust that God knows what He is doing in recording what He says He did in Genesis 1..... we will remain confused.

Or rather those who privately interpret scripture to say that there were six days of creation will remain confused.

God did not create anything on the first through the fourth days.

He said, made, divided, etc, but He did not create on those days

Check it out for yourself.

6days

, so what did God say he created on the second day?
the third day?
the fourth day?
the first day?
Nothing. God does not say he created anything on those days..
Amazing the things people will do to scripture to try squeeze in billions of years and compromise the gospel.
Hebrew is no different from other languages in that different words can have the same meaning.
God uses 2 different words in Genesis to describe creation.....
However evolutionists try to make a false distinction between 2 words than often have the same meaning. (Create and made)
The argument from compromisers is that 'Bara' means CREATE from nothing, and 'Asah' means to MAKE or mould from something that already exists.
The word 'asah' is the more commonly used word in Genesis 1 so compromisers believe creation was really a makeover.

We know from other scripture that evolutionists are using an artificial distinction between bara and asah to try get billions of years into God's Word...and death before sin. It is not difficult to notice these words are used interchangeably in scripture.
For ex. Gen.1:21 God created (bara) fish and birds.
V25 God[/b] made (asah) the animals.

Or
V26 God is speaking of making man.
V27 God created man.
Or
Nehemiah speaks of God making the angels.
Psalms speaks of God creating the angels