Christmas Quote Game

Lon

Really simple:

See how many quotes you can ascertain from what literature, television, or big screen (or anything else for that matter).

Rules:
1) Guess of course and keep tally of your own score.
2) Add questions of your own with favorite quotes from movies, music, television, literature, and etc. (I like to guess too but already know all of mine. I enjoy learning new ones I didn't know as well)
3) Have fun
4) Post your scores and/or talk about which ones you've liked, maybe new ones you like.

The first ones are both from TV-Movies, and books.

1) I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.

2) Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.

3) “Christmas doesn't come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more....”
Other familiar quotes
4) Zuzu's petals, ah, Zuzu's petals. There they are! What do you know about that? Merry Christmas!"

5) Randy lay there like a slug, it was his only defense.

6)Scott Calvin: Where is he?
Laura: Well, he could be listening to records jumping up and down on his bed wearing a red hat and galloshes.
Scott Calvin: I don't care what Neil's doing. Where's Charlie?

7) “Christmas can be celebrated in the school room with pine trees, tinsel and reindeers, but there must be no mention of the man whose birthday is being celebrated. One wonders how a teacher would answer if a student asked why it was called Christmas.”

8) Eddie: You surprised to see us, Clark?
Clark: Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

9) Kris Kringle: Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind... and that's what's been changing. That's why I'm glad I'm here, maybe I can do something about it.

10)Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?
Answers:
Spoiler

1) A Christmas Carol -Charles Dickens
2) Laura Ingalls Wilder
3)Grinch Who Stole Christmas -Dr. Suess
4)It's a Wonderful Life - Frank Capra
5)A Christmas Story
6)The Santa Claus[e]
7)President Ronald Reagan
8) Christmas Vacation
9)Miracle on 34th Street
10)A Charlie Brown Christmas

Last edited:

Lon

10 more

11) It's Turbo Time!

12) The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.

13) You ought to be horsewhipped. First you, then you, and then you again.

14) Yes, buy! In the Spirit of Christmas. The hard part’s going to be stealing the money to pay for it."

15) Rats. Nobody sent me a Christmas card today. I almost wish there weren’t a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?

16) Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree!

17) This is extremely important. Will you please tell Santa that instead of presents this year, I just want my family back. No toys. Nothing but Peter, Kate, Buzz, Megan, Linnie, and Jeff. And my aunt and my cousins. And if he has time, my Uncle Frank. Okay?

18) Blast this Christmas music. It’s joyful and triumphant.

19)Herman: Boy, that Dick sure knows how to drink, huh?
Frank Cross: Why do you keep calling me "Dick"?
Herman: I'm sorry, Mr. Burton, I guess we don't know you well enough yet to call you Dick.

20) Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see.

Answers:
Spoiler

11) Jingle All The Way

12) Elf

13) White Christmas

14) We're No Angels

15) A Charlie Brown Christmas

16) Ernest Saves Christmas

17) Home Alone

18) Movie version of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

19) Scrooged

20) Polar Express

Lon

Which president said it:

21) Christmas means so much because of one special child" and that many "of us believe in the divinity of the child born in Bethlehem, that he was and is the promised Prince of Peace.

22) Christmas is not a time nor season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world.

23) In this blessed season, let not blind passion darken our counsels. We shall not solve a moral question by dodging it. We can scarcely hope to have a full Christmas if we turn a deaf ear to the suffering of even the least of Christ’s little ones.

24) Amid all the hubbub and hustle this time of year always brings, we should not forget the simple beauty of that first Christmas long ago.
In the center of all lay the infant, born in the shadows and straw of a stable in Bethlehem, yet truly the fulfillment of ancient prophecies and the hope of every age to come.

25) At Christmas, we celebrate the promise of salvation that God gave to mankind almost 2,000 years ago. The birth of Christ changed the course of history, and His life changed the soul of man. Christ taught that giving is the greatest of all aspirations and that the redemptive power of love and sacrifice is stronger than any force of arms.

26) How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep holidays than commandments.

27) [Christmas time is the season of] The greatest mirth and jollity.

28) A good conscience is a continual Christmas.

29) ...who are risking their very lives to preserve for us and for all mankind the fruits of His teachings and the foundations of civilization itself. The Christmas spirit lives tonight in the bitter cold of the front lines...the roar of our bombers... will not drown out the messages of Christmas which come to the hearts of our fighting men

30) As we gather here before our Nation’s Christmas tree, symbolic of the communion of Americans at Christmastime, we remind ourselves of the eternal truths by which we live. . . . In our 200 years, we Americans have always honored the spiritual testament of 2,000 years ago. We embrace the spirit of the Prince of Peace so that we might find peace in our own hearts and in our own land, and hopefully in the world as well.

Answers:
Spoiler

21) Ronald Reagan
22) Calvin Coolidge
23) Harry Truman
24) Ronald Reagan
25) George Bush (Sr)
26) Benjamin Franklin
27) Thomas Jeffersn
28) Benjamin Franklin
29) Franklin D. Roosevelt
30) Gerald Ford

Lon

These are obscure so kudos if you know even one of them!

31) Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it's Christmas.

32) Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves.

33) The two most joyous times of the year are Christmas morning and the end of school.

34) Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.

35) Christmas is the day that holds all time together

36) The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
gave the lustre of midday to objects below

37) The Herdmans were the worst kids in the whole history of the world!

38) I hate toys! And toys hate me! Either they are going or I am going and I definitely am not going!

39) Hermey doesn't like to make toys!

40) And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Answers:
Spoiler

31) Dale Evans, wife of Roy Rogers

32) Eric Sevareid, CBS News Anchor of the 70's - 90's

33) Alice Cooper

34) Washington Irving, author and diplomat

35) Alexander Smith, Scottish Poet of the 1800's

36) Clement Clarke Moore, The Night Before Christmas

37) Barbara Robinson, Author of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

38) Santa Claus is Coming to Town

39) Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer

40) Linus (from Luke), A Charlie Brown Christmas

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting idea. I'll play when I'm less tired. Three hours of sleep last night and a frazzling day dealing with very unhappy garden snakes today.

Lon

perhaps he's wrapping christmas presents and using them for bows

that would make them unhappy
Out of curiosity, did you try the game? How well did you do? Any bring good memories or make good new ones (albeit minimal, but it was cool doing some of the research - especially the presidents).

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Out of curiosity, did you try the game? How well did you do? Any bring good memories or make good new ones (albeit minimal, but it was cool doing some of the research - especially the presidents).

pretty bad - i unplugged ten years ago, so my memories of christmas staples are fading

oh, i missed this one - one of my favorite bits:

Herman: I'm sorry, Mr. Burton, I guess we don't know you well enough yet to call you Dick.

Lon

pretty bad - i unplugged ten years ago, so my memories of christmas staples are fading

oh, i missed this one - one of my favorite bits:

Yes, absolutely. I would have used it, but how in the world could I have made a quote of that!

"Hello RABBIT! You better watch out, you better not cry..."

Lon

"You'll shoot your eye out."

"This is the North pole." "No its not." "Yes it is." "No its not." "Yes it is." "No its not. Where's the snow?"

"I really am mean and despicable at heart."

"That's all them movie people want: Poison!"

"Nobody wants a Charlie in the box."
Spoiler
A Christmas Story, Elf, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Ernest Saves Christmas, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer

Lon

"Smiling is my favorite"

"Ahh, smell those Christmas trees. You can keep your 'Channel' Number 5, just give me a whiff of the old lonesome pine. That symbol of brotherly love, that centerpiece that all mankind gathers around to share the cranberry sauce shaped like a can."

Ernest P. Worell: [quietly] "Santa Claus."
Mary Morrissey: What did you say?
Ernest P. Worell: His name is Santa Claus!
[children giggle]
Ernest P. Worell: That's it. Yuck it up. He happens to be a close, personal friend of mine. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah. Fifth graders think they know everything.

"Call it... Uh, a fifth sense. Call it a flash of intermission, but I just got this feeling deep down in the heart of my bottom."

Spoiler
1st: Elf
The rest: Ernest Saves Christmas

Last edited:

Lon

At this special time of year, we all renew our sense of wonder in recalling the story of the first Christmas in Bethlehem, nearly 2,000 year ago.
----
Christmas means so much because of one special child...Christmas also reminds us that all children are special, that they are gifts from God, gifts beyond price that mean more than any presents money can buy. In their love and laughter, in our hopes for their future lies the true meaning of Christmas.

Spoiler
Ronald Reagan 1981 Christmas address

Lon

“Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don’t quite know how to put our love into words.”

“Christmas is not just a time for festivity and merry making. It is more than that. It is a time for the contemplation of eternal things. The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving.”

Spoiler

~ Harlan Miller, British author and artist
~ J. C. Penney