Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

quip

BANNED
Banned
....offending isn't the point to begin with, it's simply a means to an end. The billboard itself serves the end. The timing trades on the sensitivity of the season to garner free publicity.

No reasonable defender of the billboard is claiming otherwise. It's simply you're hyper-sensitivity to the billboard has everyone curiously fascinated.

I'm assuming the best here in that your objections are merely a matter of taste and formalities, that is, you're not proposing some level of injunction on that which you personally find less than palatable?

genuineoriginal

I'm assuming the best here in that your objections are merely a matter of taste and formalities, that is, you're not proposing a censorship on that which you personally find less than palatable?

I see no problem with censuring Atheists, but don't confuse that with censoring them.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I see no problem with censuring Atheists....

I've no doubt in your capacity to self-serve....though a more personally challenging inquiry persist in your ability to gracefully accept an equally though opposite, censuring scenario.

.........Well?

genuineoriginal

I've no doubt in your capacity to self-serve....though a more personally challenging inquiry persist in your ability to gracefully accept an equally though opposite, censuring scenario.

.........Well?
Censuring Atheists:

Psalm 14:1
1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.​

Concerning Christians:

2 Timothy 4:8
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.​

quip

BANNED
Banned
Censuring Atheists:

Psalm 14:1
1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.​

Concerning Christians:

2 Timothy 4:8
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.​

This saved me some time. :cigar:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
This makes an idiotic metaphysical presumption: :mock: post-mortem atheists. (Atheism dies with the atheist...resod)

:think:

God will, in censoring atheists, turn them into regrettful former atheists?

doesn't flow as smoothly :idunno:

quip

BANNED
Banned
:think:

God will, in censoring atheists, turn them into regrettful former atheists?

doesn't flow as smoothly :idunno:

Begging the question doesn't suit your style....then again, spread those godly-inspired wings resod! :Elaine:

rexlunae

That was my point, but the Atheists and other non-Christians on this thread are claiming that they are not clever enough to see it.

That hasn't been the issue. As several atheists have pointed out, there is an especially good reason for atheists to show mutual solidarity during the Christmas season precisely because of what the mainstream culture is doing. You have to go pretty far out of your way to take offense at the innocuous language of the billboard.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No reasonable defender of the billboard is claiming otherwise.
Some have claimed just that, but if you mean that you don't find that reasonable neither do I.

It's simply you're hyper-sensitivity to the billboard has everyone curiously fascinated.
Where I'm fascinated by why someone would feel obliged to call an observation that something is in poor taste hyper-sensitivity.

I'm assuming the best here in that your objections are merely a matter of taste and formalities,
Which would be about right, though at war with your above. I also don't get put out if I have to walk into a Walmart and see women shuffling about in slippers and with hair curlers as though they'd only just wandered out of their bathrooms, but...

that is, you're not proposing some level of injunction on that which you personally find less than palatable?
No, I've always been a proponent of free speech. Can't stand people who only want to save the cute animals. :)

genuineoriginal

That hasn't been the issue. As several atheists have pointed out, there is an especially good reason for atheists to show mutual solidarity during the Christmas season precisely because of what the mainstream culture is doing. You have to go pretty far out of your way to take offense at the innocuous language of the billboard.

Did anyone say that the language on the billboard was not clever enough to appear innocuous?

Did anyone actually state that it was the language on the billboard that was found to be in poor taste as opposed to the timing of the billboard?

quip

BANNED
Banned
No, I've always been a proponent of free speech. Can't stand people who only want to save the cute animals. :)

Fair enough and good to hear!

Just go easy on that future waiter who may have the artless temerity to suggest a domestic white wine as a complement to your poultry choice! :carryon:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Fair enough and good to hear!

Just go easy on that future waiter who may have the artless temerity to suggest a domestic white wine as a complement to your poultry choice! :carryon:
Philistine...a 2011 Mâcon-La Roche Vineuse (Merlin) is a good, light choice for roasted, though some swear by pairing wine more with the surrounding vegetables.

Mostly Californians though. :noid:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The message wasn't 'contrary to faith',
Declared and answered, but one last time (God alone knows why) of course it is. Contextually, fundamentally opposed to every expression of faith in God.

the message was directed at people who lack faith.
And timed to use a period of particular significance to generate publicity which would maximize that effort.

There is a difference. Though I think this speaks to the very point. The mere existence of atheists, or of atheism is seen as an attack on faith.
Rather atheism is itself a contrary and competing context for existence and to the Christian it's a threat to the atheist.

I think think this thread shows nothing if not that. No one is entitled to special treatment simply for being a majority.
I agree it's wrong to give the majority a "special treatment" because the exploitation will work you a good. :)

The end, per your previous argument was more publicity.
The end/point of the timing, not of the billboard itself.

So either you are or are not arguing offense generates more publicity, you cannot have it both ways.
Wouldn't dream of it.

Said every unreasonable person ever.
But an unreasonable person never has an actual argument and only an unreasonable person suggests someone with an argument doesn't have one merely because they differ.

:e4e:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Town, if you have a problem (obviously, two months after the fact) with atheists showing solidarity, my suggestion is to suck it up and get on with your life. That, or find a battle worth fighting.

When it comes to poor taste at Christmastime, the choices are virtually endless. (Seriously: Where to begin?) But given the buffet of carnal, obsessive, grotesque, garish, and freakish "holiday" consumer pop culture barbarism, you decided to find a bone to pick with folks who had the temerity to violate your own personal sense of entitlement. And make no mistake, that's what this boils down to.

What you've locked your jaws on is a billboard--again: a BILLBOARD--encouraging America's most irrelevant and misunderstood minority to just hang in there around a time of year when many people regardless of faith (or not) feel alone and bereft of much hope.

If that's enough to annoy your high-nosed sense of taste, I suggest you get over yourself.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town, if you have a problem (obviously, two months after the fact) with atheists showing solidarity,
I don't. Never did. Never said I did. Never will say it.

Hopefully that''ll do on the particular. I've tried the less obvious to no real effect...or affect even.

my suggestion is to suck it up and get on with your life. That, or find a battle worth fighting.
I never thought of this as a contest of any particular sort. More a Q&A gone awry. :)

When it comes to poor taste at Christmastime, the choices are virtually endless.
Without question. Blinding nearly.

But given the buffet of carnal, obsessive, grotesque, garish, and freakish "holiday" consumer pop culture barbarism, you decided to find a bone to pick with folks who had the temerity to violate your own personal sense of entitlement.
No, I actually entered on another point entirely (and that's a pointlessly grating way of distinguishing between your taste and someone else's, which is partly why this sort of thing keeps going). This one:

Many companies that rent space, especially desirable ones, have large chunks of time rented out, much like some apartments, well in advance. It's no more or less likely that the next paid patron was due for their use and the complaints had nothing to do with anything, not that Llamar wouldn't let them think otherwise given the nature of the advertising area.​

Discussing whether free speech was being monkeyed with. Fly assumed it was and I offered another perspective. It wasn't until Fly, three posts later, said he didn't see why anyone would be upset that I even ventured an opinion on motivation.

And make no mistake, that's what this boils down to.

What you've locked your jaws on is a billboard--again: a BILLBOARD--encouraging America's most irrelevant and misunderstood minority to just hang in there around a time of year when many people regardless of faith (or not) feel alone and bereft of much hope.
What I've resisted is the attempt by several likely well meaning people to paint my point as something other than what it is or to cast it in a light that isn't mine. If the response had been, "Oh, well it doesn't bother me" there's no discourse. But that same fellow says, "Oh, then you mean X or are afraid of Y" then they're going to get an answer.

If that's enough to annoy your high-nosed sense of taste,
See, again, that's the very sort of nonsense that invites "battle". :) High nose, I chose, none of that remotely reflecting anything but your agreement with the handful of people who tried harder lines along the same suppositions.

Or, everyone is the hero of their narrative. Painting a cape on yourself isn't going to help.

I suggest you get over yourself.
Supra, or, after you, to be polite. :e4e: