Christian Branches, Denominations, all that good stuff

Wolguar

Every church is seeking truth and thinks they have the truth. Simply state your denomination and branch and act as an example of it. For this page, I guess teach me what your church believes and if you unaffiliated I guess teach me your theology.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Wolguar

I guess I should go first. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I think the most basic way to describe us is the Articles of Faith. I hope this isn't too long.

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

So yeah, that's us. Now I'm curious about you guys. :D

csuguy

No affiliation - but spent the most time with the Church of the Nazarene during high school. I also had many Catholic friends in college and would join them for their college nights and events. My father went through ordination when I was in high school, and I got a Religious Studies degree during my undergrad (along with a BS and subsequently MS in Computer Science).

As for core beliefs: Jesus is the Son of God, sent as the Messiah and died for our sins, established the New Covenant with his blood, and through him we have been given the opportunity for salvation and to join him as co-heirs of the kingdom. It is God's desire that none shall perish, but that all shall be saved and be reconciled back to him.

There will be a judgement based upon our deeds. Those who persevered in doing good will be saved and receive eternal life. Those who persevered in being selfish, greedy, and otherwise sinful will be destroyed. We are called to love, which is the fulfillment of the law. Anyone who loves is known by God (even if they don't realize it).

God judges our deeds us with respect to our knowledge and understanding. Just because one didn't receive the Law from God, or have an opportunity to know Christ does not disqualify them from salvation in the least. Even an explicit rejection of religion will not condemn anyone in of itself. Even without divine commandments, we are all born with a conscience and the ability to discern good from evil.

Belief, as a purely intellectual matter, has no innate value. It only has value in so far as it guides us. Even if true, if it doesn't serve to guide us then it still has no value (faith without deeds is dead). Hence we are not judged by our list of beliefs but by our actions. That said, belief that correctly guides us is very valuable - and so it is important to share and discuss important beliefs that they might serve to guide others as well, and so our own beliefs are refined.

Also - I reject the Trinity doctrine. No doctrine serves as the test for salvation - least of all one without a scriptural or logical basis. But probably a better topic for another thread.

Wolguar

No affiliation - but spent the most time with the Church of the Nazarene during high school. I also had many Catholic friends in college and would join them for their college nights and events. My father went through ordination when I was in high school, and I got a Religious Studies degree during my undergrad (along with a BS and subsequently MS in Computer Science).

As for core beliefs: Jesus is the Son of God, sent as the Messiah and died for our sins, established the New Covenant with his blood, and through him we have been given the opportunity for salvation and to join him as co-heirs of the kingdom. It is God's desire that none shall perish, but that all shall be saved and be reconciled back to him.

There will be a judgement based upon our deeds. Those who persevered in doing good will be saved and receive eternal life. Those who persevered in being selfish, greedy, and otherwise sinful will be destroyed. We are called to love, which is the fulfillment of the law. Anyone who loves is known by God (even if they don't realize it).

God judges our deeds us with respect to our knowledge and understanding. Just because one didn't receive the Law from God, or have an opportunity to know Christ does not disqualify them from salvation in the least. Even an explicit rejection of religion will not condemn anyone in of itself. Even without divine commandments, we are all born with a conscience and the ability to discern good from evil.

Belief, as a purely intellectual matter, has no innate value. It only has value in so far as it guides us. Even if true, if it doesn't serve to guide us then it still has no value (faith without deeds is dead). Hence we are not judged by our list of beliefs but by our actions. That said, belief that correctly guides us is very valuable - and so it is important to share and discuss important beliefs that they might serve to guide others as well, and so our own beliefs are refined.

Also - I reject the Trinity doctrine. No doctrine serves as the test for salvation - least of all one without a scriptural or logical basis. But probably a better topic for another thread.
Thank you for sharing that. I know it can be pretty difficult to put your beliefs out there. I admire you for that. I hope this chat remains a judgement free zone as well. I just love learning about religion and seeing other perspectives.

Aimiel

I believe in Jesus, Who lives in me. He's my Comforter and Helper. He leads, guides and directs me in all things. :thumb:

Wolguar

I believe in Jesus, Who lives in me. He's my Comforter and Helper. He leads, guides and directs me in all things. :thumb:
Thank you for sharing Aimel. I always love feeling that comforting feeling he gives. I'm sorry if I ever detracted that from anyone in this chat. Simple testimonies have always been my favorite.

Aimiel

On a note of religious beliefs: I don't believe that God punishes anyone or rewards anyone because of their church attendance, denomination affiliation, lack of attendance or even personal theology. He looks upon the thoughts and intents of the heart. His favorite whom He pointed out when He was here was the one dude who had NO GUILE. I want to be that guy. I heard the other day: "You'll never meet anyone whom God doesn't love." Amen.

Wolguar

On a note of religious beliefs: I don't believe that God punishes anyone or rewards anyone because of their church attendance, denomination affiliation, lack of attendance or even personal theology. He looks upon the thoughts and intents of the heart. His favorite whom He pointed out when He was here was the one dude who had NO GUILE. I want to be that guy. I heard the other day: "You'll never meet anyone whom God doesn't love." Amen.
I'm glad you shared that. :D

iamaberean

Gather with people of a like mind. It is not bad to be a part of people who love God, but that should be done by fellowship in your homes, not in a church building.

1Co_3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co_3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
2Co_6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Truster

Anyone who is truly converted will not be able to remain in the denominations. The saint will crave pure spiritual milk of the word and pure doctrine. He will not find it preached nor practised by the religous atheists.

Denominational religion is man attempting to make amends and hoping to be rewarded. Salvation is confirmation that the reward has already been paid in full.

Aimiel

Never been to a church I didn't like. I've never attended a service at a cult, but I have always found God's Presence in every single church or cathedral I've ever been in. I will say that River churches are the most friendly towards The Holy Spirit and Messianic Jews REALLY do love Jesus but I have yet to be disappointed altogether. I was even handed a flyer at one church that told me all about what parts of Scripture that they DON'T believe in, but still enjoyed God's Presence there.

k0de

Every church is seeking truth and thinks they have the truth. Simply state your denomination and branch and act as an example of it. For this page, I guess teach me what your church believes and if you unaffiliated I guess teach me your theology.

My believes

1. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

2. "And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe."
(1 Thessalonians 2:13)

3. "and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. " (2 Timothy 3:15).

4. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," (Matthew 28:19)

I believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. And believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God revealing the love of God to the world. And that We the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church.

"Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many."
(1 Corinthians 12:12-14).

That's it for me if it similar to the Great Billy Graham is because it is. May he rest in peace. I'm a graduate of his evangelism school.

https://billygrahamonlinetraining.org

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I am simply a Christian who believes I am to obey God and Jesus. Salvation is in God and Jesus Christ, in whom I have faith. The forgiveness of sins and the free gift of eternal life are granted or given to us in Christ.

Aimiel

Anyone who is truly converted will not be able to remain in the denominations. The saint will crave pure spiritual milk of the word and pure doctrine. He will not find it preached nor practised by the religous atheists.

Denominational religion is man attempting to make amends and hoping to be rewarded. Salvation is confirmation that the reward has already been paid in full.
Attending a church would be a good thing for you, especially if your pastor were to preach on the 'holier-than-thou' attitude that you're plagued with.

Aimiel

I am simply a Christian who believes I am to obey God and Jesus. Salvation is in God and Jesus Christ, in whom I have faith. The forgiveness of sins and the free gift of eternal life are granted or given to us in Christ.
Yeah, but I think that you got about two or maybe three doses of the HUMILITY gene that Truster is missing. :thumb:

Aimiel

Please do not do what you do at my expense.
You have a funny way of looking at things. I was trying to commend you for your humility and hold you up as an example. That's what we're here for: to represent Christ. You do it well.