Catholics Should Believe Their First Pope

Cruciform

Just spell it out in your own words, I'd like to hear how you can buy your way out of a place prepared for the devil and his angels.
You seem to assume that purgatory is the same as hell, which is simply not the case. Note: Only saved people experience purgatory. It is an intermediate state between this life and the fullness of heaven.

Also, one does not "buy his way out" of purgatory, as the sources I provided in my previous post explain. If you had read the cited sources, you wouldn't have needed to ask any of these questions, nor make any of these mistakes.

What did Peter have to say about it, you say you study scripture.
Peter makes a couple of statements about purgatory. Which one did you have in mind?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
Purgatory is probably true. It's sensible, and I've seen no compelling argument against it. It's not really an opponent of Imputed Righteouness either, I don't understand the Protestant's beef with it, especially being that I am a protestant myself.

Just to edify the above.

turbosixx

ALL you have ever posted are the assumptions and opinions of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect's interpretations/applications of Scripture.

I post things proven by scripture, something you CAN NOT do. You can not prove infant baptism from scripture because it's from MAN.

turbosixx

ALL you have ever posted are the assumptions and opinions of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect's interpretations/applications of Scripture.

What's really sad is you stress my "man-made sect" but I worship God not man as you do. Keep lying to yourself and see where it gets you.

pope-worship.jpg

Cruciform

I post things proven by scripture, something you CAN NOT do.
I already have. The fact that you happen to prefer the opinions of your recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect certainly doesn't change that fact.

You can not prove infant baptism from scripture...
See above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

RevTestament

Purgatory is probably true. It's sensible, and I've seen no compelling argument against it. It's not really an opponent of Imputed Righteouness either, I don't understand the Protestant's beef with it, especially being that I am a protestant myself.

Just to edify the above.
"Purgatory" is NOT true because of all the teachings concerning it. "Spirit prison" or "paradise" are the things the scriptures teach about - where Christ went according to 1 Peter 3 & 4. I for one cannot believe that "paradise" is purgatory. Purgatory is taught as a place for the punishment of everyone, however, if one dies in Christ, one is not punished - that was the purpose for His atonement. So the doctrine of purgatory and the teachings of the RCC are counter to the gospel of the atonement.

Cruciform

"Purgatory" is NOT true because of all the teachings concerning it. "Spirit prison" or "paradise" are the things the scriptures teach about - where Christ went according to 1 Peter 3 & 4. I for one cannot believe that "paradise" is purgatory. Purgatory is taught as a place for the punishment of everyone, however, if one dies in Christ, one is not punished - that was the purpose for His atonement. So the doctrine of purgatory and the teachings of the RCC are counter to the gospel of the atonement.
It's clear from this that you lack an accurate understanding of the Catholic doctrine of purgatory. See Post #379 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

RevTestament

It's clear from this that you lack an accurate understanding of the Catholic doctrine of purgatory. See Post #379 above.

No, I think I understand it perfectly.
1 Peter 3:19; 4:6 - Jesus preached to the spirits in the "prison." These are the righteous souls being purified for the beatific vision.
So even the righteous must suffer for their sin according to the doctrine of purgatory. But of course this teaching is wrong, and is the opposite of what the scriptures are saying:
1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

So it was the disobedient souls Jesus went to spirit prison to teach - not the "righteous souls."
The righteous souls go to paradise like the repentant thief on the cross next to Jesus.