Catholicism's Opposition to the Bible

Cruciform

Then is every group that calls itself Christian truly the Church founded by Christ?
For example, pj, which of the following self-professing Christian groups in in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.:

• Southern Baptist
  • Lutheran
  • Methodist
  • Assemblies of God
  • Non-Denominational
  • Independent Fundamentalist
  • Presbyterian
  • Catholic
  • (Something else)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

glassjester

For example, pj, which of the following self-professing Christian groups in in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself in 33 A.D.:

• Southern Baptist
  • Lutheran
  • Methodist
  • Assemblies of God
  • Non-Denominational
  • Independent Fundamentalist
  • Presbyterian
  • Catholic
  • (Something else)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

The silence speaks volumes.

Cruciform

Nah...We of the Protestant Reformation are comfortable with quietly knowing of God's governance of His one, holy, catholic and apostolic church, of whose members are in His love and covenant friendship.
QUESTION: To the best of your knowledge, is the particular ecclesiology you've described above---one which you have been taught by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect---the same ecclesiology believed and taught by the early believers during the first centuries of Christian history?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

rexlunae

@ Cruciform:

Please re-word the question in a respectful manner, or forget it.

Translation: "I can't respond to the substance of what you said, so I'll just complain about the style." Do you think the initial tone of the thread was respectful to Catholics?

Eagles Wings

Translation: "I can't respond to the substance of what you said, so I'll just complain about the style." Do you think the initial tone of the thread was respectful to Catholics?
I wasn't planning on attacking the RCC, so a question posed to me without the usual rhetoric is where I'd like to start.

If I don't know the answer to a question, I'll say.

rexlunae

I wasn't planning on attacking the RCC, so a question posed to me without the usual rhetoric is where I'd like to start.

If I don't know the answer to a question, I'll say.

Nothing Cruciform said was even uncivil, so I'm forced to interpret your complaint as a dodge. As far as the "usual rhetoric" goes, you haven't responded to it, and he brings up a good point. Without Catholicism, you wouldn't have a Bible to treat as the sole source of authority, and Protestants have pretty clearly demonstrated that without a central teaching authority, you can interpret that foundation in a pretty wide variety of ways, many of which originate centuries removed from the original documents. Seems like a problem to me.

Eagles Wings

Nothing Cruciform said was even uncivil, so I'm forced to interpret your complaint as a dodge. As far as the "usual rhetoric" goes, you haven't responded to it, and he brings up a good point. Without Catholicism, you wouldn't have a Bible to treat as the sole source of authority, and Protestants have pretty clearly demonstrated that without a central teaching authority, you can interpret that foundation in a pretty wide variety of ways, many of which originate centuries removed from the original documents. Seems like a problem to me.
Interpret as you wish. Take care.

BTW - I don't care for threads that bash another's theology.

Last edited:

Eagles Wings

Please indicate exactly where my post is supposedly "disrespectful." Otherwise, I will have to consider this response on your part merely a clumsy attempt to avoid my question.
Is this how you talk to your kids?

For example:

"E.W., your friends are idiots, now prove to me why you want to play with them. Oh, you don't want to tell me why you like them because I've already judged them to be idiots? Then you are an idiot, too."