Canada bans 1500 kinds of military style weapons.

Arthur Brain

You ask if you can guess my thoughts, then try and tell me what I think. Wrong.!

The very first kind of government that I would strive against would be a government run by minds like yours.
True.

Heck, WWIII would happen in five minutes...

:freak:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

If Russia took Ukraine?

Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary?

By manipulating elections to put lackeys in power?

Would YOUR country launch nukes against Russia?

Would your country launch nukes against a Chinese takeover of Taiwan?

Aimiel

Stop you there......... so was and did Hitler.. A government that might introduce common sense controls for gun ownership would fit with neither situation.

No..... it won't.
The common sense of gun controls (loke 3nd party risks insurance?) is no reason for extremists to turn terrorist, shooting their own country wo/men.

There is no such thing as gun 'control' except by the one holding it. You don't seem to understand what, "Shall not be infringed," actually means. You can't legislate morality. Neither can you legislate common sense. You can do away with the death penalty, but all that will do is cause criminals to have no fear. Now that most states have done that: the people are afraid, instead of criminals. There are reasons for all of the ten commandments and when the penalties for breaking one of them gets removed, society as a whole must suffer the consequences.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
There is no such thing as gun 'control' except by the one holding it. You don't seem to understand what, "Shall not be infringed," actually means. You can't legislate morality. Neither can you legislate common sense. You can do away with the death penalty, but all that will do is cause criminals to have no fear. Now that most states have done that: the people are afraid, instead of criminals. There are reasons for all of the ten commandments and when the penalties for breaking one of them gets removed, society as a whole must suffer the consequences.

One must remember when dealing with a deranged person like eider, that they live in a fantasy world, of pink unicorns and rainbows, where up is down and down is up and "security" comes with forcing vulnerability on people

eider

Of course there is gun control

Do you agree with criminal record checks for gun owners?

Yes/No please give an answer.

Thankyou. :)

eider

:D

It was interesting to do as when you study something you learn so much more about the subject, even one you might already be passionate about. The downside can be getting over analytical on occasion and not just enjoying a good film...but overall, it was a positive and a qualification to have to boot. I do take note of actors and directors but to see what else they've been involved in film wise.

I'm afraid however that your guess is wrong. This lockdown has been far from a cruise to be honest, being able to watch films notwithstanding.

She sounds great. :)

:cheers:

That would be my problem........ being analytical ...... becoming unable to just settle in to enjoy a film story or message with a settled mind.
I do so enjoy many of the films that we watch. One film that I cannot get out of my system and have watched several times now, is 'Gravity'.
We're getting very very clever........

Sad to read that lockdown has been less than 'merry' for you. Where we live there is a wide grassy margin before a wide and unending sea wall with service road, and then the beach which becomes a half mile wide foreshore at low tide. All that to disappear in to, plus I enjoy cycling for exercise. And I do all the shopping. My wife has stayed home and she loves tidying and cleaning and other housework. Yes...... so far we've cruised the lockdown.

eider

:chuckle:
And I haven't practised with my bow, atl atl or sling in years! :D
Last time I used my sling I wanted to see if I could still sling a 38mm stone 300 yards. Trick is to moor a small buoy 300 yards out from the beach by pacing out at low tide, and then making the attempt from the beach on a calm day when the tide has returned...... the fall of stone to flat water can easily be seen.
Oh dear.......... I ripped so many muscles and sinews. I'm going to have to play pensioner in any wars....... or maybe Dad's Army would put up with me. :)

Aimiel

Of course there is gun control

Do you agree with criminal record checks for gun owners?

Yes/No please give an answer.

Thankyou. :)

Because someone has committed a crime doesn't mean that they will again, just as someone with a clean record can go postal and kill dozens. The Sum of All Fears, with Harrison Ford showed what terrorists could do with a nuke. Their criminal record didn't stop the CBP officers from letting them into the country (yeah, it's fiction, but it happened on 9/11, too).

I do agree with criminal background checks, but they are often bypassed or they don't work. Too many municipalities don't do proper reporting of crimes or somehow records get lost. I know several people with felonies who were able to legally purchase guns. Too many guns are being sold to criminals without any background check by their legal owners and there are even more which own stolen guns or guns purchased from a shady dealer (pawn shop). Then there's the people who use fake ID's to purchase or have someone else buy them the gun (gifts, favors, etc.). I still feel sorry for all the people in Venezuela, who turned in their guns and then found themselves victims of armed police thieves.

Aimiel

One must remember when dealing with a deranged person like eider, that they live in a fantasy world, of pink unicorns and rainbows, where up is down and down is up and "security" comes with forcing vulnerability on people

Yup, we live in that world...

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I've thought that way too many people call evil: good and good: evil; ever since I was a teenager (I'm 64).

Aimiel

Not unless they wanted to commit M.A.D. There again, we have had some nutballs on here who support the nuking of Mecca...

With the defenses in place today, I doubt any ICBM's aimed stateside would break out of the atmosphere. :chuckle:

eider

Almiel: There is no such thing as gun 'control'

Eider: Do you agree with criminal record checks for gun owners?

Because someone has committed a crime doesn't mean that they will again,......................................
So that's a 'No', then.....

I do agree with criminal background checks,
So that's a 'Yes' then......

OK..... so we do have one control already.
Now...... do you agree that gun owners should all carry third party public liability insurance?

eider

Not unless they wanted to commit M.A.D. There again, we have had some nutballs on here who support the nuking of Mecca...

What?
Still?
A few years ago there was a TOL thread about 'glassing' Mecca but I assumed that common sense might have flowed......

People who scream about 'Wanna gun fer defence' and also scream for mass destruction of others..... ummm..... psychos......

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
A little history on the National Rifle Association, quite eye-opening:

The NRA formed its Legislative Affairs Division to update members with facts and analysis of upcoming bills...Karl Frederick, NRA president in 1934, during congressional NFA hearings testified "I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses."[36] Four years later, the NRA backed the Federal Firearms Act of 1938.[37]

The NRA supported the NFA along with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), which together created a system to federally license gun dealers and established restrictions on particular categories and classes of firearms.[38]

-- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...sociation#1934

eider

A little history on the National Rifle Association, quite eye-opening:

The NRA formed its Legislative Affairs Division to update members with facts and analysis of upcoming bills...Karl Frederick, NRA president in 1934, during congressional NFA hearings testified "I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses."[36] Four years later, the NRA backed the Federal Firearms Act of 1938.[37]

The NRA supported the NFA along with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), which together created a system to federally license gun dealers and established restrictions on particular categories and classes of firearms.[38]

-- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...sociation#1934

That's interesting. Thanks for that info.......
And so Legislative Acts can be passed to better control gun ownership and use in the USA....
Well...... fair enough.

Arthur Brain

What?
Still?
A few years ago there was a TOL thread about 'glassing' Mecca but I assumed that common sense might have flowed......

People who scream about 'Wanna gun fer defence' and also scream for mass destruction of others..... ummm..... psychos......

Well, there probably are still some nutters who support that but in fairness, common sense prevailed overall in that thread as most people in it pointed out the obvious. That there would be no sane reason for it.