Theology Club: can ya help a brother out

SaulToPaul 2

You've been pretending to understand thus far; so why stop now :chuckle:

Fact is, Bible Study relies on many principles one needs to be conscious of as much as possible, or one ends up at "well maybe this," or "perhaps this means..." and so on.

As with any Science, guessing at is no place to be studying the Scripture from.

In fact, guessing at should set off an awareness in one - that one is obviously missing a study principle in one's approach.

Likewise with ending up ever having to ask others for an answer to things one should know how to study out after a time "by reason of use."

And though there is no shame in asking; there is in taking personal an answer other than the one expected.

That just keeps one at one's obvious ignorance.

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Rom. 5:8

Prov. 27:17

Can you enumerate the principles you study by?

glorydaz

You've been pretending to understand thus far; so why stop now :chuckle:

Fact is, Bible Study relies on many principles one needs to be conscious of as much as possible, or one ends up at "well maybe this," or "perhaps this means..." and so on.

As with any Science, guessing at is no place to be studying the Scripture from.

In fact, guessing at should set off an awareness in one - that one is obviously missing a study principle in one's approach.

Likewise with ending up ever having to ask others for an answer to things one should know how to study out after a time "by reason of use."

And though there is no shame in asking; there is in taking personal an answer other than the one expected.

That just keeps one at one's obvious ignorance.

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

I prefer the old fashioned method of waiting on the Lord to give me understanding of a particular verse. The Holy Spirit interprets what is written better than any opinion of others. When that happens, the verse comes alive.:surf:

Danoh

I prefer the old fashioned method of waiting on the Lord to give me understanding of a particular verse. The Holy Spirit interprets what is written better than any opinion of others. When that happens, the verse comes alive.:surf:

I used to assert that myself. But...

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

And...

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:

glorydaz

I used to assert that myself. But...

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

And...

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Perhaps you should have stayed with listening to the teaching of the Spirit instead of leaning on your own understanding.

Danoh

Perhaps you should have stayed with listening to the teaching of the Spirit instead of leaning on your own understanding.

I tried...

And the likes of a dodge, and a Lazy would agree with you on that one.

Eventually I found that this is one more issue few apparently consider the "things that differ" about through the Scripture rightly divided.

Case in point, were the Spirit leading, we'd all be on the same page in our understanding.

And none of us would experience those many moments of "Whoops, I guess I was wrong on that interpretation; back to the drawing board, oh well..."

Exactly - back to the drawing board.

Because it is not the Spirit doing the leading in that way. That is the individual him or herself in his or her own notions.

Which he or she then concludes was "the Spirit's leading..."

I've had my share.

I no longer conclude "o the Spirit led me..." though.

Due to the following...the things that differ...

ALWAYS it turns out I'd either been unaware of, or negligent in, the application of one study principle, or another.

What I have found is that Spirit now leads through His complete, filled full, or perfect, Word of Truth, Col. 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:15,16, in contrast to how things were prior to that as to Eph. 4:11,12.

Personally, I'd rather someone point such a thing out to me, as I have no issue with comparing other's findings with my own.

Beats finding out on my own, years later, if at all.

Acts 17:11,12.

Danoh

Like Lonestar said, dano thinks everybody only reads bubble gum wrappers, while he reads Quantum Mechanics

If we're talkin things that differ - those old Bazzooka Joe gum wrappers would stand out - they contained some good wisdom in their mini-comic book illustrations.

So and so obviously simply ran with his notion once more; before first testing it as to where said notion might not be the exception.

Things that differ...

glorydaz

I tried...

And the likes of a dodge, and a Lazy would agree with you on that one.

Eventually I found that this is one more issue few apparently consider the "things that differ" about through the Scripture rightly divided.

Case in point, were the Spirit leading, we'd all be on the same page in our understanding.

And none of us would experience those many moments of "Whoops, I guess I was wrong on that interpretation; back to the drawing board, oh well..."

Exactly - back to the drawing board.

Because it is not the Spirit doing the leading in that way. That is the individual him or herself in his or her own notions.

Which he or she then concludes was "the Spirit's leading..."

I've had my share.

I no longer conclude "o the Spirit led me..." though.

Due to the following...the things that differ...

ALWAYS it turns out I'd either been unaware of, or negligent in, the application of one study principle, or another.

What I have found is that Spirit now leads through His complete, filled full, or perfect, Word of Truth, Col. 1:25; 2 Tim. 3:15,16, in contrast to how things were prior to that as to Eph. 4:11,12.

Personally, I'd rather someone point such a thing out to me, as I have no issue with comparing other's findings with my own.

Beats finding out on my own, years later, if at all.

On the contrary....I find believers who have seen exactly those same things the Spirit has shown me through the Scripture. It's only those things I have understood through my own reasoning that is up for debate. And, the funny part is that when I hear someone share the truth of what the Spirit has shown them, I see it's truth...and that is when I adjust my thinking.

I found this through the years of being in a New Testament assembly...where we had members of the body getting up and sharing what the Lord had opened to their understanding during the week. Those were the truths that were wonders and beautiful to behold. It's when we see the results of all this personal "study" that we run into disagreements....I'm not talking about that kind of knowledge. I'm talking about the real deal...and I've even seen it here on TOL. It's rarer, but it's there.

Danoh

On the contrary....I find believers who have seen exactly those same things the Spirit has shown me through the Scripture. It's only those things I have understood through my own reasoning that is up for debate. And, the funny part is that when I hear someone share the truth of what the Spirit has shown them, I see it's truth...and that is when I adjust my thinking.

I found this through the years of being in a New Testament assembly...where we had members of the body getting up and sharing what the Lord had opened to their understanding during the week. Those were the truths that were wonders and beautiful to behold. It's when we see the results of all this personal "study" that we run into disagreements....I'm not talking about that kind of knowledge. I'm talking about the real deal...and I've even seen it here on TOL. It's rarer, but it's there.

You and I obviously differ on this.

There is nothing mystical about the Spirit's leading one to an understanding on one thing or another - other than the mysticism many conclude is behind those findings of theirs that the Spirit has led them to; simply through time in His completed Word.

If they have gotten whatever understanding they assert out of Scripture soundly, to begin with, that is.

For we are all on an endless learning curve on the Scripture.

Too many confuse their own definition of "right" with what the Scripture may or may have not asserted.

Which they then assert the Spirit led them unto.

This is why people, say, like a dodge and his kind - who also assert a belief in the Spirit's leading - end up at ideas (that you and I both often see are clearly their own ideas), were inspired by, and or led unto, by The Spirit.

At the end of his life; the Apostle Peter notes to his readers that although he and His fellow Apostles had had their physical senses themselves for an evidence of The Glory they had witnessed firsthand; he was leaving his readers with a more sure word, or evidence, whereunto they would do well to heed the instruction of - the Scripture.

Because the private interpretation, or origin of, the Scripture itself; was without question.

For such had been the case as to the Spirit's leading outside of His Word back then; when He was inspiring Scripture's writers to "write it in a book."

They alone had had that access through their senses.

We have His completed Word.

The result being that things went from Eph. 4's perfection or establishment of the Believer through men gifted of God by the Lord through the Spirit, to 2 Tim. 3's establishment or perfection in understanding through God's completed Word.

Unless I read your post wrong; you are confusing someone agreeing with your findings on one thing or another as being some sort of a confirmation the Spirit led you both to that same understanding.

If through His Word; yes. But even this is the issue of through His Word.

The old "okay, boys and girls; let's put on our thinking caps and get to applying what we learned earlier about the who, what, when, where, why, and how of a thing, when reading..."

Outside of that, one is basically walking by one's own senses, or sight; not by faith.

I am challenging that.

As I would expect to be challenged on one assertion or another.

That is not "quenching the Spirit."

That too is nothing more, once more, than what you have read into that phrase.

Just as there is nothing wrong with pointing out to someone the need to consider learning how to properly study a thing out, Is. 8:20, Lk. 24:27.