ECT Can a True Believer Ever Stop Believing the Gospel?

Jerry Shugart

What a person believes about anything depends on the "evidence" that is set before him about any particular subject. Another thing we must consider is the “reliability” of such evidence.

With these two things in mind let us look at what the Scriptures reveal about Biblical faith:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
(Heb.11:1).​

True believers have the evidence of things not seen and that evidence stands in the power of God:

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Cor.2:4-5).​

We also know that the gospel comes in power and in assurance and in the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance" (1 Thess.1:5).​

This "evidence" is supernatural evidence and the Lord gives us an understanding that we know the Lord:

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life"
(1 Jn.5:20).​

Again, a true believer's faith is built on evidence, supernatural evidence. True faith is reliable because it stands in the power of the Lord and He has given us an understanding that we may know Him. No matter how hard a person might try to will himself to stop believing he will find that it is impossible.

It would be easier for a person to imagine that he doesn't even exist than it would be for him to stop believing the supernatural evidence which comes in the gospel. And that is why we read the following from the pen of the Apostle John:

"The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever" (2 Jn.1-2).​

glorydaz

It would be easier for a person to imagine that he doesn't even exist than it would be for him to stop believing the supernatural evidence which comes in the gospel.

Amen, and the words "fully persuaded" describes it best of all.

Romans 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.​

We can get mad at God, blame God, and even turn our back and ignore Him for a period of time, but He is long suffering and never turns His back on us. We know He's there watching and waiting.

musterion

Can a true believer ever stop believing the Gospel?

Yes, if we define stop believing as angrily or petulantly doubting and giving into the flesh after some disappointment or other. A believer still has the capacity to do pretty much anything. Just look at the saints of Corinth. I doubt everything Paul identified as going on there was an exhaustive list. Yet they were saints...even the guy who...you know.

Would that doubt unjustify and unforgive the believer and sever him/her from Christ?

No. Col 2:13

Will God correct that erring person in His own good time?

Yes. Phil 1:6

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Just curious but do you think that you could ever stop believing?

There have been a number of believers who after reaching old age, lost their mental capacities. A famous Jewish believer who wrote commentaries on the Old Testament named Charles Feinberg late in his life reverted back in his mind to when he was a rabbi. He couldn't remember his wife. Yet it don't matter! Cause once we are in Christ we can never be forsaken.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

DAN P

It did me some eternal security buddy! Hope god's truth isn't reading this..

Hi and I am going home now , so what verse prove eternal security in the DISPENSATION of Grace of God or what Paul calls the MYSTERY ??

dan p

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Amen, and the words "fully persuaded" describes it best of all.
Romans 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.​

We can get mad at God, blame God, and even turn our back and ignore Him for a period of time, but He is long suffering and never turns His back on us. We know He's there watching and waiting.
He cannot deny Himself. 2 Timothy 2:13 KJV -

Danoh

That wasn't what was asked.

People like him are ever in some sort of win-lose contest with others.

Made worse by the fact of both his obviously poor communication, and comprehension skills.

All one can do is go a round of ping pong or two with such, and leave them at where they insist on remaining - til Glory, one day; when the disabilities of such will be no more.

Philippians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 3:18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Ephesians 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Now that is worth the so called attempt to "impress others" with!