ECT Can a man's righteousness commend the mercy of God?

Cross Reference

If God is a Just God, why should it not commend His mercy . . . even His Grace. Please note that I am not saying works can save a man. However, cannot man's righteousness be such that he can find favor with God?

Who in the OT examples this?

Last edited:

Truster

If God is a Just God, why should it not commend His mercy . . . even His Grace. Please note that I am not saying works can save a man. However, cannot man's righteous be such that he can find favor with God?

What disgusting thoughts you have.....try keeping them to yourself.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
If God is a Just God, why should it not commend His mercy . . . even His Grace. Please note that I am not saying works can save a man. However, cannot man's righteousness be such that he can find favor with God?

Yes, it is shown in the OT - look it up yourself

nikolai_42

What is man's righteousness?

EDIT : I ask because your statement necessarily implies that a man can be justified before God by such a righteousness.

Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Acts 13:38-39

For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Romans 2:12-13

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 3:19-23

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Galatians 2:16

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Galatians 3:10-12

Cross Reference

What is man's righteousness?

EDIT : I ask because your statement necessarily implies that a man can be justified by such a righteousness.

Is a righteous man necessarily without faith? How could he be righteous if he only believed in himself? Could he not be righteous if he believed in his neighbor to the degree of caring beyond himself? How about his animals he shepherded? I would venture to guess that this would bring such a one the grace of God.

nikolai_42

Is a righteous man necessarily without faith? How could he be righteous if he only believed in himself? Could he not be righteous if he believed in his neighbor to the degree of caring beyond himself? How about his animals he shepherded? I would venture to guess that this would bring such a one the grace of God.

Humanism - no matter how selfless - is not the righteousness required.

Cross Reference

Quite the contrary (see my updated edit)

And I would offer you that the righteous are justified by faith. In the OT that is the way it was, could only be before peace was made in their behalf by the blood of Jesus Christ made peace with God on their behalf. Seems you would have them all damned to hell because they weren't born at the right time. Ever consider the native indians of S.A? What did Jesus say when giving the great commission? Did He say go get people saved or did He say "go and make disciples", baptize them. In other words, 'tell about Me'.

nikolai_42

And I would offer you that the righteous are justified by faith. In the OT that is the way it was, could only be before peace was made in their behalf by the blood of Jesus Christ made peace with God on their behalf. Seems you would have them all damned to hell because they weren't born at the right time.

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion....

Ever consider the native indians of S.A? What did Jesus say when giving the great commission? Did He say go get people saved or did He say "go and make disciples", baptize them. In other words, 'tell about Me'.

If the gospel was preached to Abraham long before Christ, it could easily have been preached in other "folds". I don't draw a hard and fast conclusion here, but if you look at the SA natives (for example), you find one Quetzlcoatl who had some striking resemblances to the Savior - one whom they expected.

Cross Reference

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion....

Per romans 5:1, Jesus made peace with God on their behalf.

If the gospel was preached to Abraham long before Christ, it could easily have been preached in other "folds". I don't draw a hard and fast conclusion here, but if you look at the SA natives (for example), you find one Quetzlcoatl who had some striking resemblances to the Savior - one whom they expected.

What's wrong with the way I have presented it? Doesn't it cover all the bases, unless you are as those who believe man first needs God to give him faith . . .which I am not of that crowd?

Cross Reference

Are we justified before God by the way we treat others?

We are justified by righteousness. Why not test yourself to see how you feel about yours? Be honest with your findings. Can one trust you with themselves or can you to always act in a self serving way?

BWT, Given the great commandment, what's wrong "treating others" you feel doesn't credit your account?