Calvinism: You Must Already be Saved to Get Saved?

Robert Pate

Banned
How would it make Him unjust, for knowing what we will do beforehand?

The problem here is yours, scripture clearly states that is exactly what He does.

You tell us what this means- break it down since you deny its clear language:

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms. 4 For He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in His presence. In love 5 He predestined us for adoption as His sons through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will

So, you think that you are one of the special chosen ones?

Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. This means that salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9. Salvation is a free gift from God, Romans 5:15-18.

God has chosen all of humanity in Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's new Adam and our new humanity. God does not impose salvation on anyone, if he did he would be unjust.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert's Go To Verses: 1 John 2:2; Hebrews 2:9; Romans 5:18-19 Explained...Again

Robert's Go To Verses: 1 John 2:2; Hebrews 2:9; Romans 5:18-19 Explained...Again

Your go-to verses are not serving your argument, Robert, no matter how often you simply assert them without any substantive support.

Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?116186-Calvinism-You-Must-Already-be-Saved-to-Get-Saved&p=4933178&viewfull=1#post4933178

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...Romans-10-13&p=4880617&viewfull=1#post4880617

This means that salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-Faith-Alone&p=4871524&viewfull=1#post4871524

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...Romans-10-13&p=4880617&viewfull=1#post4880617

Salvation is a free gift from God, Romans 5:15-18.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?122172-Calvinism-Satan-s-Attempt-to-Pervert-the-quot-Historical-Gospel-quot-of-Jesus-Christ&p=4881998&viewfull=1#post4881998

The "special chosen ones", Robert, are not not going to believe:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...ur-Salvation&p=4860809&viewfull=1#post4860809

How about you actually directly answer A4T's questions instead of deflecting to other verses?

AMR

beloved57

Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. This means that salvation has been provided for everyone, Hebrews 2:9. Salvation is a free gift from God, Romans 5:15-18.

God has chosen all of humanity in Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's new Adam and our new humanity. God does not impose salvation on anyone, if he did he would be unjust.

Those scriptures can and only apply to the elect !

God's Truth

Jesus saves us all on his own, and he CHOOSES whom he will save.

God's Truth

Here are the scriptures that plainly tell us we have to obey to be saved:

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

John 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

Luke 8:21 But he replied to them, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it."

1 John 3:24 Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them

2 Thessalonians 1:8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

Hebrews 5:9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

John 13:17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

Luke 11:28 Jesus says, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Shasta

Edom as the symbol for the non-elect, that is specifically those who are condemned already because they have not believed on His name caused their own condemnation by their disbelief in the Christ which brought the destruction of their nation and themselves at the final judgment. John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. If they are condemned already when did they receive this condemnation? And surely they received it due to a rejection of His name (the attributes of the Divine Saviour) and not for not hearing about His name.

Colossians 1:23 ...if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. refers to a gospel that has already been preached to every creature under heaven implying both that there was no new creation who has not heard the preaching of the gospel and also that all humans of all time have already heard the preaching. Since we know that the gospel has not been preached in all nations in all time on earth I accept the necessity that this preaching was before we were sown into the earth by our respective fathers, the Son of Man or the devil, Matt 13:36-39, and it was probably at this time some did not believe on, did not put their trust/faith in His name as their saviour and become condemned already when they are sown into the earth as tares, Satan's angels the goats. From the moment of their rejection of HIS Son as their saviour, they became the wicked ones, the illegitimate children He hates.

Yes Church politics did indeed lead the early church to condemn pre-existence in favour of the blasphemy that we are born sinners because GOD created us sinners by having us born into Adam's blood line by which we inherited his sin. GOD is holy and will not create evil by any method at all and if we are evil then we are evil by our own free will decision to rebel against GOD's goodness. And if we are born evil then our free will decision to be evil happened before our birth.

But the so called 'fathers' were also happy to define their GOD as omniscient with the pagan Greek definition that leads directly to the blasphemy that GOD knew before they were created who would end in hell but created them anyway. As two of the building blocks of our understanding of GOD's creation these blasphemies are totally onerous and come to us from the same place.

Grace and peace

Even if God had no foreknowledge He would know by His intelligence that all freewill agents would not choose His way. He had already seen Satan and all his angels rebel against Him before a single human had been born. Creating sentient beings with a freewill automatically makes it possible, perhaps even probable, that a number of them will be lost. I cannot see how God would be less "onerous" (not my term) if He happened to know the names of the reprobate in advance. You are right, though, the ECF believed in foreknowledge but not in predestination. None of them were Open Theists.

As to pre-existence. The ECFs denial of it was not due to politics because it preceded the consolidation of political power over the Church. That doctrine was not part of First Century Judaism or Apostolic teaching so it was not taught and passed along.

Shasta

I'm afraid this was not my experience...I was rejecting HIM when HE came to me and called me in.

My point was that you cannot reject him and be saved at the same time. You can be resistant and still yield. Many people struggle while they are under the conviction of the Holy Spirit but it is only when they surrender their resistance, submit and believe God's word that they are saved. God never tells anyone to remain in their rebellion and wait until He saves them. He says to come out of the sinful life right then and there. That is what I read in the Prophets and in the preaching of the Apostles.

Subjectively speaking strong conviction which you yield to can seem like God did it all but that is simply not the gospel

Robert Pate

Banned

The Bible speaks for its self. You believe that the Bible must be interpreted in the light of Calvinism. I believe that the Bible must be interpreted in the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Calvinism is anti-Gospel, anti-Christ, anti-faith and anti-grace.

To believe that God predestinates people to hell before they are born is unbelievable and unthinkable. I don't know what it is that you have faith in, all I know is that it is not God, nor is it his Son Jesus Christ. I think that you might be better off to believe in no God at all than to blasphemy him and his Son Jesus Christ.

ttruscott

To believe that God predestinates people to hell before they are born is unbelievable and unthinkable.

You mean that IF such a predestination is totally arbitrary, without reason, it is unbelievable and unthinkable, I assume. If HE had a rational reason for a pre-birth predestination then it would be acceptable. IF HE chose to predestine to salvation everyone who accepted HIS deity by faith before the creation of the earth and did not choose to predestine anyone who rejected HIS deity by faith, then once we were born into the earth (Matt 13: 36-39) our previous predestination would come into play, all proper and righteous.

The answer to the very biblical predestination before the creation of the world being righteous is obviously our creation was pre-earth and our being conceived as human is a movement into the world, not a creation.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
yes, all who are saved are chosen, the bible is clear on it.

Offered and provided are not one and the same, do you actually believe all people ever, will receive eternal life?

God has chosen all of humanity in Jesus Christ.
Better inform Him that He lied here:
Matthew 7:23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Matthew 22:14 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

And here:
John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
And here:

John 15:16
"You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

This means that salvation has been provided for everyone
.....Jesus is God's new Adam and our new humanity. God does not impose salvation on anyone, if he did he would be unjust.

And you just contradicted yourself.

Robert Pate

Banned

Offered and provided are not one and the same, do you actually believe all people ever, will receive eternal life?

Matthew 7:23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

And here:
John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
And here:

"You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

If you believe that God chooses "Some Certain Persons" to be saved and damns the rest to hell, then you must also believe that God is unjust.

To believe that God is unjust is the same as believing that God is a sinner that cannot be trusted.

From the beginning of time, salvation has been by grace (God's unmerited favor towards fallen man) through faith. It is not humanly possible to have faith in a God that Damns billions to hell for no reason other than they were born after Adam.

Shasta

You mean that IF such a predestination is totally arbitrary, without reason, it is unbelievable and unthinkable, I assume. If HE had a rational reason for a pre-birth predestination then it would be acceptable. IF HE chose to predestine to salvation everyone who accepted HIS deity by faith before the creation of the earth and did not choose to predestine anyone who rejected HIS deity by faith, then once we were born into the earth (Matt 13: 36-39) our previous predestination would come into play, all proper and righteous.

The answer to the very biblical predestination before the creation of the world being righteous is obviously our creation was pre-earth and our being conceived as human is a movement into the world, not a creation.

You are mixing two incompatible doctrines. When you say "IF HE chose to predestine to salvation everyone who accepted HIS deity by faith before the creation of the earth" and, conversely, "did not choose to predestine anyone who rejected HIS deity by faith" you are speaking of God foreknowing the choices of men and then destining them accordingly. In this, you have predicated predestination upon what God's foreknowledge.

This is not Calvinistic predestination. Calvin would say that God knows whether or not a person will "accept or reject His deity" because He has decreed that they do one or the other. Predestination according to foreknowledge is an Arminian concept. It was also, as far as I can tell, the belief of the Early Church Fathers, those teachers, apologists and leaders that followed the Apostles for the first 300 years of Church history prior their re-organization under the authority of the Emperor.

In the scripture you cited, Matt 13: 36-39, you appear to be making the identity of the "good seed" and the "weeds" into an ontological issue, as if their identity was determined by their design or essence rather than their choices, just as if they were physical wheat or weeds. However, this is misuse of the metaphor.

Fortunately, there is no reason to speculate about what Jesus meant because, in this case, He explains the parable Himself. According to the Master what makes a person good seed (or a "son of the kingdom") or a weed (or, a "son of the wicked one") is the choices they make in life.

41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 13:36-43).

According to what Jesus said it is not whether a person is a Calvinist or arminian or whether they have made a profession of faith in Him at one time in their life that makes them a "weed" What makes someone a weed is that they practice lifestyle of law-breaking Conversely a "son of the kingdom" will be judged by whether or not they have practiced a lifestyle of righteousness (Matthew 13:43).

Nothing here or anywhere else in the Bible attributes a person's destiny to something they did or were while they were in some preexistent state If this is what you were saying then you were even further off the mark than I thought. At one point Origin adopted the idea preexistence but his views on the subject were later condemned as heretical.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Anyone that believes that they must be saved to get saved, has already proved that they are one french fry short of a happy meal. :kookoo:

You don't understand it because you deny the Omniscience of God even though His word says it clearly:

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms. 4 For He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in His presence. In love 5 He predestined us for adoption as His sons through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of His will

if God predestinated anyone to heaven or to hell before the foundation of the world, that would make him unjust.

How would it make Him unjust, for knowing what we will do beforehand?

The problem here is yours, scripture clearly states that is exactly what He does.

You tell us what this means- break it down since you deny its clear language:

And here:
And here:

If you believe that God chooses "Some Certain Persons" to be saved and damns the rest to hell, then you must also believe that God is unjust.

You keep saying that, yet you wont answer my questions to show me an error you think i have- i dont believe God unjust at all and i asked you how you arrived at that in an earlier post that you keep ignoring.

Do you believe all men forever are saved?

If not, then you believe also that some people will be saved, and the rest end up in hell.

Please go back and read my posts to you, and actually address them. That is what a conversation is.

If you want to teach me something, go back and break down the verse i gave you and tell me what it means, since you dont think it means what it says.

Robert Pate

Banned
You keep saying that, yet you wont answer my questions to show me an error you think i have- i dont believe God unjust at all and i asked you how you arrived at that in an earlier post that you keep ignoring.

Do you believe all men forever are saved?

If not, then you believe also that some people will be saved, and the rest end up in hell.

Please go back and read my posts to you, and actually address them. That is what a conversation is.

If you want to teach me something, go back and break down the verse i gave you and tell me what it means, since you dont think it means what it says.

It is not my place to teach you the truth, that is the work of the Holy Spirit.

God choose prophets, patriarch's, the nation of Israel, apostles, for the sole purpose of making known to the world the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the heart and the center of the Bible.

Those that were saved in the New Testament were saved by hearing and believing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Acts 2:41. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Which is the Gospel Romans 10:17.

God does not predestinate people to salvation before the foundation of the world, because God is no respecter of persons, Acts 10:34. God does NOTHING outside of his Son when it comes to the salvation of fallen man.

You cannot and will not receive the Holy Spirit without hearing and believing the Gospel, Galatians 3:2.

If you believe that God predestinates people to hell before they are born, then you must also believe that God is unjust. If you believe that God is unjust then you are lost.

If you want the truth keep seeking and the Lord will reveal it unto you.

ttruscott

You are mixing two incompatible doctrines. When you say "IF HE chose to predestine to salvation everyone who accepted HIS deity by faith before the creation of the earth" and, conversely, "did not choose to predestine anyone who rejected HIS deity by faith" you are speaking of God foreknowing the choices of men and then destining them accordingly. In this, you have predicated predestination upon what God's foreknowledge.

This is not Calvinistic predestination.
It certainly isn't since it does away with two of the Calvinist and other orthodox blasphemies that GOD knew before we were created who would end in hell but created them anyway and that we are born sinners because we inherited Adam's sin, the worst blasphemy of all.

GOD doesn't create evil any more that salt or brackish water can flow from the spring of pure life giving water, no matter what Calvinists claim.

And I am not "speaking of God foreknowing the choices of men and then destining them accordingly" I am speaking about people actually choosing pre-earth to accept HIS deity and HIS promise of election to salvation OR choosing to reject HIM as their GOD and becoming HIS eternal enemies, as it is written, "Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? IE the disciples knew a man could sin before his birth and carry the judgement on that sin from his birth into his life.

Calvin would say that God knows whether or not a person will "accept or reject His deity" because He has decreed that they do one or the other.
And I cannot countenance this blasphemy...GOD doesn't decree the evil of anyone or HE is the one guilty for that evil, not them and HE would put HIMself in hell if HE was just.

Predestination according to foreknowledge is an Arminian concept.
The Arminians believe the same blasphemies Calvin did, they offer nothing new except their take on it adds the inevitability of a universal salvation, which makes Christ seem the fool for all His warnings of a dreadful afterlife.

In the scripture you cited, Matt 13: 36-39, you appear to be making the identity of the "good seed" and the "weeds" into an ontological issue, as if their identity was determined by their design or essence rather than their choices, just as if they were physical wheat or weeds. However, this is misuse of the metaphor.
You think? Then you think wrong - they were separated into the two groups, the people of the kingdom and the people of the evil one, before the earth was created by their free will acceptance or rejection of YHWH's claims to be our creator GOD made in Sheol at that time. Then we all saw the creation of the physical universe and every knee did bow and every voice did sing HIS praise, Job 38:7. This is supported in Rom 1:20 which says EVERY person saw the proof of HIS divinity and power by what was made so they are without excuse and no study of nature on earth has ever by itself convicted anyone of the deity of YHWH in all history. If a study of nature or the stars is all this refers to then everyone has an excuse - it just doesn't prove out in our reality. In fact the biggest religion in the East took their study of our reality to mean that they are all gods and parts of god. Only someone who has been taught to think this proof was in a study of nature and not our witness to the creation of all nature thinks it is plausible and only then if they don't really think about it.

Fortunately, there is no reason to speculate about what Jesus meant because, in this case, He explains the parable Himself. According to the Master what makes a person good seed (or a "son of the kingdom") or a weed (or, a "son of the wicked one") is the choices they make in life.
He explains the parable, leaving out all metaphor or symbolism, as telling us that these people have been separated from each other by their choices BEFORE THESE PEOPLE ARE SOWN INTO THE WORLD! Both the Son of Man and the devil sow these people into the world so sow cannot refer to our creation implying therefore that we lived elsewhere in a place of storage and were moved to be scattered / sown into this world by our respective fathers. These makes your assertion they become good or bad seed in life to be wrong because they are sown as good or bad at their birth. It is also suggestive of the place of the dead, ie of spirits not in bodies, Sheol, was the waiting room for life on earth as human. To reject this one must pretend that He has not hardly begun to explain the parable at all. The parable is explained and should be accepted on face value with no word being a symbol of anything else, imCo.

Nothing here or anywhere else in the Bible attributes a person's destiny to something they did or were while they were in some preexistent state If this is what you were saying then you were even further off the mark than I thought.
Nothing??? John 9:1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was BORN blind?” Sigh... they accepted sin before birth. Jacob and Esau were trying to murder each other, trying to crush each other to pieces in the womb over the rights of the first born...pretty obvious sin and knowledge they shouldn't have had if your "created on earth " bias is correct, eh?

Remember, I am the guy who contends that we can only be guilty of a sin we chose to do by our own free will knowing it was against GOD's declared wishes. GOD, making me do a sin I did not choose by my libertarian free will, would be the guilty one.

At one point Origin adopted the idea preexistence but his views on the subject were later condemned as heretical.
Calvinism is a heresy to both Arminian sects and to the RCC. Big hairy deal. It is almost a badge of honour to be on someone's heresy list. Since nothing about our pre-conception existence destroys or denies our salvation in Christ by faith alone it should be considered a heterodox theology, not a heresy.

And anyway, Origen's Christology was indeed a heretical blasphemy but must I reject all his theology because HIS Christology was bad? Must I reject Christ on the cross because all heretical Christian sects have Him there?

Last edited: