BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
Stephen,

If God Himself came down from Heaven and told you Universalism was false teaching what would your response be? I know it is hypothetical, but humor me please. I am just curious as to what your answer would be if you found out that all along those whose names are not written in the Book of Life do in fact spend eternity in the Lake of Fire in conscious torment.

Interesting question.

I think I would try to change His mind. I would haggle with Him, like Abraham did over Sodom and Gammorah...I would remind Him of His Covenant with Christ for all mankind, like Moses did His Covenant with Israel rather than kill them and starting all over with Moses. Or like Paul, I would wish that I myself were cut off like Paul did for the Jews sake if it would change things.

But...hey, If that wouldn't work I would ask who He plans to have burn for all eternity...who does He have in mind, after all? Just rapists, murderers, child molesters, decievers...or all unbelievers? Will He burn Ghandhi with them? All people that didn't believe like Kevin does?

My reaction after that point, if He was iinsistant in having so many billions and billions of people burn forever, would be to wonder who He really is. How could a God that loves me and Kevin and everyone that's a Christian on TOL so much... hate so thoroughly those people and not do for them what He has done for us?

At the very least, if I couldn't change His mind that way...I would ask that He destroy them instead rather than let them suffer so much forever...appeal to His mercy enough that they would have a closure with God and would be out of existence.

Another thing...I suppose I would be afraid of Him, but loving Hiim would be faked. I would pretend I loved Him to avoid being treated as they were...and would always wonder what else He was capable of doing that could be just as bad as eternal torment in literal fire.

But the biggest question would be in my mind forever....why wasn't Christ's Covenant with God enough to save them, and why didn't God give them the faith to know Him instead...especially if the consequences were so terrible?. Why didn't He save them...even if He had to use force to do it, if it meant eternal misery in literal flames if He did not?

My reaction...I suppose...would be the same as everyone elses.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
So why do we still have the lake of fire? If Jesus redeemed us from sin why is there a lake of fire? Did Jesus not redeem us from sin? Something is not right here...

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
So why do we still have the lake of fire? If Jesus redeemed us from sin why is there a lake of fire? Did Jesus not redeem us from sin? Something is not right here...

Let's take it further...why would there be eternal torment if these things are indeed true?

Why is there suffering at all?

Fact is, like it or not, suffering teaches us something...the most important thing it teaches is to hate sin as much as God does, and how much we need to remain in Him...or be reconciled to Him to be in Him, and Him in us.

I've asked it before...Jesus now has the keys to hell and death, and I think it is illogical to assume that Jesus intends to continue anything remotely like what Satan began.

Is this too difficult to follow?
I've been arguing all along that punishment just for punishment's sake is not what God is all about...rather He's about saving all men. Hell, I believe, is in line with what God intends in saving all men, not it's undoing forever.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Aimiel

logos_x said:
I've asked it before...Jesus now has the keys to hell and death, and I think it is illogical to assume that Jesus intends to continue anything remotely like what Satan began.
Satan didn't begin hell. God prepared hell to punish the devil and his angels. Man bought into that same eternal punishment when he sinned. :doh:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
Well...if they are leaving an apostate church to begin with, then their not knowing Christ isn't their fault, is it?

We are without excuse, logos. Men's dogma may stand in the way, but it's easy enough to shed oneself of man made doctrines.

For instance:

Balder said:
Nineveh, actually, I never intentionally turned my back on Christ or God; I specifically turned my back on the limited ways I believed men represented them.

PKevman

logos_x said:
I agree

I disagree.

Stay tuned

You did not answer directly one single thing that I posted to you. You then diverted away. I will post it again in its entirety to give you another opportunity to doge it er....respond.

logos_x said:
Clearly, evil does not enter Heaven.

Agreed. So by what means can someone evil enter Heaven since we are all sinners? Only those who have been covered by the blood of the Lamb, those who have exercised saving faith.

Satan and the fallen angels has as much variation in Christian thought as any other topic.

Not amongst Bible-believing Christians. Anyone who truly believes the Word of God understands who Satan is and what he is. He is a fallen angel who rebelled against God and was cast out of Heaven. He is the enemy of Christians and seeks to take as many to the Lake of Fire with him as he possibly can. He is a loser who has been defeated by the Lord Jesus Christ, and is merely awaiting the final execution of his judgment when he is cast into the Lake of Fire where he will remain for all eternity. GOOD Bible scholars are practically unanimous on this. You might find some LIBERALS who don't believe it, but not conservative Bible-believers, among which Universalists are NOT!

If it is impossible for Satan and fallen angels to be restored, then why allow them to continue doing what they do at all?

God's patience is only in allowing as many to come to faith as possible. But His patience grows shorter by the day. As wickedness increases, the final judgment grows closer. Satan's days are numbered and he knows it.

Jews don't view Satan as a fallen angel.

And most Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah either. What is your point? If you want to quote people who reject Jesus Christ as Biblical authorities be my guess. They have missed the very One whom the Scriptures prophesied about. They reject Him. I love Jewish people, and know Messianic Jews who love the Lord Jesus Christ and accept Him as Messiah. But I wouldn't let anyone who rejects my Lord and Savior be MY authority on the Word of God. The Holy Spirit who INSPIRED the Word lives inside me and every other person who knows Christ. Does He live in you Stephen?

The Bible clearly shows that Satan is a fallen angel who fell from Heaven after attempting a rebellion against God.

There might not be a clear answer Kevin.

Oh but there is. It is found in the Bible:

Jude:
5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; 7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Eternal fire is all that awaits those fallen angels.

Evil will not enter Heaven so the only way they could enter Heaven is to cease being evil. Since "satan" means opposer, Satan would have to no longer be Satan in order to enter Heaven. He would have to be restored to an un-fallen state. The same with man.

How would Satan be restored to an un-fallen state? By the Lord Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross? Angels and men are not the same. Christ died for men. Christ is not an angel. For angels to be saved from their sin, Christ would have had to have been an angel. IS CHRIST AN ANGEL? Of course He is not, so He did not die for angels, but for men. The Scripture is as crystal clear on this as it is on everything else that speaks against Universalism.

1 Peter 1:10-12

10 Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, 11 searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaventhings which angels desire to look into.

I don't view that as an impossibility

Then you deny the Word of God! Jesus Christ DID NOT bear the sins of demons. The fallen angels and Satan have NO REDEEMER, Stephen. No way to PAY for their sins! Your clinging to making "reconciliation of all things" mean salvation of all living beings makes you refuse to admit this basic truth, but the Bible is explicitly plain that Christ died for men. You cannot find one single verse that supports the salvation of fallen angels and Satan. Not one. And there are plenty that refute it utterly and completely!

The devil and fallen angels are the reason WHY God created the Lake of Fire. The Bible says this plainly. It also says they will be cast into the Lake of Fire and that they will spend all eternity there.

It is only by denying what the Bible says that anyone could POSSIBLY say that fallen angels and Satan the deceiver go to Heaven.

Satan is not in Hell right now.

I agree that Satan is not in Hell right now. He works right here on the earth and tirelessly goes about the business of deceiving and tempting, which he is good at. Universalism is a prime example of this deception!

UNIVERSALISM SAYS:
If Satan is one of the things in Heaven and Earth that will be found in Christ in the fullness of times, then even Satan will be restored in the end.

THE BIBLE SAYS:

Hebrews 2:14-17 (KJV)

14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

DID NOT take on the nature of angels! What did He take on? The seed of Abraham. Not much clearer than that. He was Made like His brethren. Are angels Jesus' brethren? NO! Or do you believe they are? Please help us to understand clearly whether or not this is what you believe. I would hope you would agree that angels are NOT Christ's brethren.
Wait....verse #17 also says that He made propitiation for the sins of angels....NO.... OF OF OF "THE PEOPLE"!!!!!!!!!! Note it doesn't say of the people and the angels.

Romans 5:9

9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

1 Pet. 2:24 - "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."

Whose sins did Jesus bear? People or angels? Is an angel speaking there? The Word became FLESH. Angels are NOT flesh!

Universalism vs. The Bible. The Bible wins hands down!

Is Christ an angel Stephen? If not, then how does Satan have his sins paid for. Or is it your position that Satan and the fallen angels will not have their sins paid for?

PKevman

logos_x said:

It's unBiblical. That is your major problem. It goes against God's Word. It makes a mockery of the gospel. It makes a mockery of the sacrifice of Christ. It makes a mockery of the grace of God that ONLY comes by faith.

PKevman

I think that Universalists don't actually believe the Bible, they only USE it to try to get people into Universalism. I even remember one Universalist saying that exact thing. I will go back and find the post.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
Let's take it further...why would there be eternal torment if these things are indeed true?

Why is there suffering at all?

Fact is, like it or not, suffering teaches us something...the most important thing it teaches is to hate sin as much as God does, and how much we need to remain in Him...or be reconciled to Him to be in Him, and Him in us.

Is this too difficult to follow?
I've been arguing all along that punishment just for punishment's sake is not what God is all about...rather He's about saving all men. Hell, I believe, is in line with what God intends in saving all men, not it's undoing forever.

Because you are saking the wrong question. Jesus died for our sins. They are behind the Father, never to be remembered. Done. Finished. Period.

So if our sins are forgiven, why is there a judgement at all? What are we judged upon? I heard somebody put it this way. God will ask you, "What did you do with my Son?" One of two answeres, "I loved Him and served Him," or, "I mocked Him and hated Him."

If you loved Him, truely loved Him as evidenced by your works, you are welcomed into God's home.

If you hated Him, regardles of all you very best works, you are sent to live with Satan in the lake of fire till the end of the age-during. What ever duration you assign to the age-during is irrelevant, there is nothing that suggests you will get out for good behaviour (or corrected beliefes). And after that one age-during, what then? Who knows. The Bible is utterly silent about anything that might happen after your age-during of fiery correction.

red77

PastorKevin said:
I think that Universalists don't actually believe the Bible, they only USE it to try to get people into Universalism. I even remember one Universalist saying that exact thing. I will go back and find the post.

Have you got any answers forthcoming yourself pastor regarding these posts? I've asked you a few questions now and no response.....
And the rest just misrepresents universalism, if anyone said they just 'use' the Bible to get into it then I've certainly not seen it and nor would I agree with them

logos_x

PastorKevin said:
It's unBiblical. That is your major problem. It goes against God's Word. It makes a mockery of the gospel. It makes a mockery of the sacrifice of Christ. It makes a mockery of the grace of God that ONLY comes by faith.

Why?

Redfin

PastorKevin said:
You did not answer directly one single thing that I posted to you.

When he does answer you directly, you ignore him! :doh:

For example, Post #1741:

logos_x said:
PastorKevin said:
Stephen,

If God Himself came down from Heaven and told you Universalism was false teaching what would your response be? I know it is hypothetical, but humor me please. I am just curious as to what your answer would be if you found out that all along those whose names are not written in the Book of Life do in fact spend eternity in the Lake of Fire in conscious torment.

Interesting question.

I think I would try to change His mind. I would haggle with Him, like Abraham did over Sodom and Gammorah...I would remind Him of His Covenant with Christ for all mankind, like Moses did His Covenant with Israel rather than kill them and starting all over with Moses. Or like Paul, I would wish that I myself were cut off like Paul did for the Jews sake if it would change things.

But...hey, If that wouldn't work I would ask who He plans to have burn for all eternity...who does He have in mind, after all? Just rapists, murderers, child molesters, decievers...or all unbelievers? Will He burn Ghandhi with them? All people that didn't believe like Kevin does?

My reaction after that point, if He was iinsistant in having so many billions and billions of people burn forever, would be to wonder who He really is. How could a God that loves me and Kevin and everyone that's a Christian on TOL so much... hate so thoroughly those people and not do for them what He has done for us?

At the very least, if I couldn't change His mind that way...I would ask that He destroy them instead rather than let them suffer so much forever...appeal to His mercy enough that they would have a closure with God and would be out of existence.

Another thing...I suppose I would be afraid of Him, but loving Hiim would be faked. I would pretend I loved Him to avoid being treated as they were...and would always wonder what else He was capable of doing that could be just as bad as eternal torment in literal fire.

But the biggest question would be in my mind forever....why wasn't Christ's Covenant with God enough to save them, and why didn't God give them the faith to know Him instead...especially if the consequences were so terrible?. Why didn't He save them...even if He had to use force to do it, if it meant eternal misery in literal flames if He did not?

My reaction...I suppose...would be the same as everyone elses.

I don't see any responsiveness on your part to that "direct" answer!

logos_x

PastorKevin said:

:rolleyes:

You know what Kevin? I think that damnationalists don't actually believe the Bible, they only use it to get people to acquiesce to a sinful state that lasts forever.

Are you a Catholic, an Arminian, or a Calvinist Kevin?....they all believe in eternal torment you know....but there really isn't much agreement between them other than that.

I'm not a Universalist. I'm not a Unitarian. I believe in Judgements...I simply believe they are purposful and not an end in themseves. I believe that Jesus Christ is the savior of the world...I mean REALLY the savior of the whole world, Kevin.

I'm not even trying to get anybody into anything...I'm trying to get people to realize what a terrible misrepresentation the doctrine of eternal torment is.

But...what the hell? If that's the way you feel then what is the use in me saying anything more about it? You think me to be a devil because I believe Jesus Christ will be 100% successful in the end in saving everything God hoped for in all men...well, there is really nothing else I have to say to you.

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
Because you are saking the wrong question. Jesus died for our sins. They are behind the Father, never to be remembered. Done. Finished. Period.

So if our sins are forgiven, why is there a judgement at all? What are we judged upon? I heard somebody put it this way. God will ask you, "What did you do with my Son?" One of two answeres, "I loved Him and served Him," or, "I mocked Him and hated Him."

If you loved Him, truely loved Him as evidenced by your works, you are welcomed into God's home.

If you hated Him, regardles of all you very best works, you are sent to live with Satan in the lake of fire till the end of the age-during. What ever duration you assign to the age-during is irrelevant, there is nothing that suggests you will get out for good behaviour (or corrected beliefes). And after that one age-during, what then? Who knows. The Bible is utterly silent about anything that might happen after your age-during of fiery correction.

You, my freind, have not been paying attention.

Balder

Is everyone here committed to the idea that the Judgment is a literal, singular event that will take place in the future, and that the Lake of Fire is a real place where people will be thrown, in the future, while other people are in heaven?

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Satan didn't begin hell. God prepared hell to punish the devil and his angels. Man bought into that same eternal punishment when he sinned. :doh:

I didn't say Satan began Hell...He began sin.

Interesting that God never said a damn thing about buying into eternal torment BEFORE man sinned. God said we would die...not live forever in firey agony. And then prevented man from living forever by keeping the way to the tree of life.

But...these little details just kind of get swept under the rug, don't they?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
I didn't say Satan began Hell...He began sin.

Interesting that God never said a damn thing about buying into eternal torment BEFORE man sinned. God said we would die...not live forever in firey agony. And then prevented man from living forever by keeping the way to the tree of life.

But...these little details just kind of get swept under the rug, don't they?

Sort of like the little detail of Christ introducing the idea of the Lake of Fire?

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Sort of like the little detail of Christ introducing the idea of the Lake of Fire?

Nin, this whole thread has been about that very thing. How is that sweeping it under the rug?

the issue is whether unbelievers will spend eternity there. Even whether it is a literal fire. Kevin clealy thinks that is what Jesus was saying.

Fortunately...Jesus didn't speak English and use the words Kevin thinks He did. He spoke of aionion chastisement, or the chastisment of the ages. Jesus was also introduced by John the Baptist as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

We are discussing the nature of that judgment, and whether it fits with that introduction of Christ...or not.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
logos_x said:
You, my freind, have not been paying attention.
Paying attention to what. This is the one issue you continue to avoid.

Did Jesus die to forgive our sins? Yes

Was He successful? Yes. Sin, under the law, is compleely forgiven. Never to be remembered.

Since our sins under the old testament are forgiven, never to be counted against us, why is there a lake of fire? Because there is one sin under the new covenant - rejecting Jesus.

logos_x

CabinetMaker said:
Paying attention to what. This is the one issue you continue to avoid.

Did Jesus die to forgive our sins? Yes

Was He successful? Yes. Sin, under the law, is compleely forgiven. Never to be remembered.

Since our sins under the old testament are forgiven, never to be counted against us, why is there a lake of fire? Because there is one sin under the new covenant - rejecting Jesus.

So...does the lake of fire correct that oversight, or make them continue to reject Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.