BrokeSaddleBack Church

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Rick Warren disavows support for Prop. 8

California mega-church pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren says he apologized to his homosexual friends for making comments in support of California's Proposition 8, and now claims he "never once even gave an endorsement" of the marriage amendment.

"There were a number of things that were put out. I wrote to all my gay friends -- the leaders that I knew -- and actually apologized to them." - Rick Warren​

Pastor Rick WarrenMonday night on CNN's Larry King Live, Pastor Rick Warren apologized for his support of Prop. 8, California's voter-approved marriage protection amendment, saying he has "never been and never will be" an "anti-gay or anti-gay marriage activist."

"During the whole Proposition 8 thing, I never once went to a meeting, never once issued a statement, never -- never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop. 8 was going," Warren told the CNN audience on Monday. "The week before the -- the vote, somebody in my church said, 'Pastor Rick, what -- what do you think about this?' And I sent a note to my own members that said, I actually believe that marriage is -- really should be defined, that that definition should be -- say between a man and a woman."

Full Story

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Larry King brings out the worst (or at least the truth) in prominent evangelist. First Joel Olsteen and now Rick Warren.

I guess it is good that people will see what they really believe. Unfortunately the problem is that when people see what they believe...they will themselves begin to believe it too.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Liar, liar, pants on FIRE!!! :burnlib:

Shame on you, Rick Warren!

Last edited:

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Check out what I found on SatansRapture.com => RICK WARREN, FALSE PROPHET FROM HELL

Rick Warren is a typical compromising coward who brings shame to the Body of Christ with his purposeless driven agenda and morally bankrupt views. It's a shame that Warren is deceiving so many souls into rejecting sound doctrine and biblical Truth, while sinking deep into a cesspool of immorality, void of conviction and everlasting purpose; but if Christians are biblically illiterate and dumb enough to follow him, they deserve to reap eternal destruction.

"But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore, it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works" - 2 Cor. 11:12-15

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Maybe some of his congregational members had an influence in his about face back peddling.

We, Mrs Psalmist and me, while we were living in Ohio, at the small church we were attending we got into trouble for not participating in the Rick Warren "Purpose Driven Life" weekly Bible study. I told them, first that Warren used to many translations/versions verse to prove his point or to make the verse fit his point; and second, some it sounded too new wavy.

Well you know what that led to.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Check out what I found on SatansRapture.com => RICK WARREN, FALSE PROPHET FROM HELL

Rick Warren is a typical compromising coward who brings shame to the Body of Christ with his purposeless driven agenda and morally bankrupt views. It's a shame that Warren is deceiving so many souls into rejecting sound doctrine and biblical Truth, while sinking deep into a cesspool of immorality, void of conviction and everlasting purpose; but if Christians are biblically illiterate and dumb enough to follow him, they deserve to reap eternal destruction.
Is he a comprising coward or a crafty demon?

Websites like that one make Christians look silly. Not to mention that red text on black is almost impossible to read. :D

Rick Warren is a money grubbing, power hungry coward who doesn't care one bit about preaching the gospel. For Warren it's all about power and money. Let's not elevate him to Satan's "right hand man" just yet.

WandererInFog

Rick Warren is a money grubbing, power hungry coward who doesn't care one bit about preaching the gospel. For Warren it's all about power and money. Let's not elevate him to Satan's "right hand man" just yet.

While it is most certainly about gaining a wider audience, I wouldn't even say it's about money or power. This really just represents the next logical step in the sort of compromises Evangelicalism has been engaged in for quite some time, and it's a sort of compromise that follows quite rationally from the underlying principles of modern Evangelicalism.

Once you accept the idea that all that is required for personal salvation is for someone to walk down an aisle and say some sort of formulaic prayer, then why not compromise a bit here and there on anything that would prevent as many people as possible from doing so? If one really sees their two choices as either compromising on homosexuality and getting more souls into heaven or remaining firm on it and as a result those people ending up spending an eternity in hell, then compromise becomes very easy and very justifiable.

I say that not to defend Warren's teaching on the matter but rather to point out how this sort of compromise is often fueled by the best of intentions rather than the basest. The manner in which Warren has used the money and influence he's received from the popularity of his writings doesn't paint the picture of greedy or self-centered man. He first turned them towards massive efforts towards evangelism (though, again, ones undergirded by a very particular view of what the means and ends of personal salvation are) and then further towards massive amounts of charitable work.

This lack of avarice doesn't make the positions less problematic though, in fact it makes them much more so, because rather than being the aberrant views of a self-serving man, what we're seeing here is a preview of how Evangelicalism as a whole is going to respond to the issue of homosexuality as American culture as a whole becomes increasingly tolerant of it.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
While it is most certainly about gaining a wider audience, I wouldn't even say it's about money or power. This really just represents the next logical step in the sort of compromises Evangelicalism has been engaged in for quite some time, and it's a sort of compromise that follows quite rationally from the underlying principles of modern Evangelicalism.

Once you accept the idea that all that is required for personal salvation is for someone to walk down an aisle and say some sort of formulaic prayer, then why not compromise a bit here and there on anything that would prevent as many people as possible from doing so? If one really sees their two choices as either compromising on homosexuality and getting more souls into heaven or remaining firm on it and as a result those people ending up spending an eternity in hell, then compromise becomes very easy and very justifiable.

I say that not to defend Warren's teaching on the matter but rather to point out how this sort of compromise is often fueled by the best of intentions rather than the basest. The manner in which Warren has used the money and influence he's received from the popularity of his writings doesn't paint the picture of greedy or self-centered man. He first turned them towards massive efforts towards evangelism (though, again, ones undergirded by a very particular view of what the means and ends of personal salvation are) and then further towards massive amounts of charitable work.

This lack of avarice doesn't make the positions less problematic though, in fact it makes them much more so, because rather than being the aberrant views of a self-serving man, what we're seeing here is a preview of how Evangelicalism as a whole is going to respond to the issue of homosexuality as American culture as a whole becomes increasingly tolerant of it.

I think your assessment here is right on the mark. I think you would enjoy a book by Iain H. Murray titled Evangelicalism Divided: A Record of Crucial Change in the Years 1950 to 2000.

http://www.amazon.com/Evangelicalis...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239301152&sr=8-1

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rick Warren's latest book? :think:

Seydlitz77

So he comes out on the side of truth finds, it is unpopular and does a 180? That is really sad; apparently he was a seed in stony ground.

MacDiarmaid

"But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore, it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works" - 2 Cor. 11:12-15

LOL that site is a hoot. I swear man if I keep hearing about 2012 I'm going to kill myself with media coverage of the "Octo-Mom".

Seriously though, was Rick Warren the pastor at Obama's inauguration? I had read about this guy in a Time magazine once, along with other pastors in this country. Seemed kinda faigelah.