Bishop charged in fatal DUI hit-and-run

GFR7

She was the first woman Bishop in her diocese of the Episcopal church.

She was arrested for DUI and drug possession a few years ago;

now (2 days after Christmas) driving with a blood alcohol content 3 x the legal limit;
driving while texting, and left the scene of the accident (returning 20 minutes later).

I think it's fair to say this woman has problems. :think:

BALTIMORE - The second-ranking leader of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland will be charged with vehicular manslaughter, drunken driving and other counts stemming from a hit-and-run crash that killed a bicyclist on a sunny Saturday afternoon, Baltimore's top prosecutor said Friday.

An arrest warrant also will be issued for Bishop Suffragan Heather Cook, 58, whose blood-alcohol level tested at .22 after the wreck, nearly triple Maryland's legal limit for driving, Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby said at a news conference.

Cook's attorney, David Irwin, did not immediately return a message seeking comment Friday.

Cook was driving a car that hit Tom Palermo, a 41-year-old father of two, on Dec. 27. Palermo died from head injuries the same day at a hospital, according to Bruce Goldfarb, spokesman for the Maryland medical examiner's office.

The diocese and police confirmed the driver initially left the scene of the crash, then returned. The diocese and a witness reported that Cook left the scene for about 20 minutes before returning.

In a statement, Palermo's sister-in-law thanked Mosby, who took office Monday.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the events leading up to the senseless hit-and-run accident that claimed Tom's life, and support the prosecutor's efforts to hold Bishop Heather Cook accountable for her actions to the fullest extent of the law," said Alisa Rock, Palermo's sister-in-law and the family's spokeswoman.

Moncure Lyon, 65, of Baltimore, said he was just finishing up a bike ride when he came upon Palermo lying in the street in a semi-fetal position, his head on the curb. As other passers-by called 911, Lyon went looking for the car, based on other witnesses' descriptions. He found it about 100 yards away at a light, he said.

"The windshield was completely smashed in, with a hole on the passenger side, and from the damage of the car, there was no doubt in my mind that was the car," he said. "I asked the lady who was driving, `Are you all right?' Then the light turned green, she said `Yes,' and she left."

When he returned to the scene, he saw the woman there as well, talking to a police officer.

The national Episcopal Church initiated opened an investigation late last week against Cook after receiving a complaint. The decision to move forward with an investigation was made by Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori and other national church leaders, according to diocesan spokeswoman Sharon Tillman. The purpose of that investigation, separate from the civilian criminal investigation, is to determine whether Cook violated church law.

This is not the first time Cook has been charged with crimes related to driving.

Court records show a Caroline County sheriff's deputy stopped Cook in 2010 on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The officer wrote in a report that Cook was driving on the shoulder at 29 mph in a 50-mph-zone with a shredded front tire.

The deputy noted a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car and that Cook had vomit down the front of her shirt. The officer wrote that Cook was so intoxicated that she couldn't finish a field sobriety test because she might fall and hurt herself. According to the report, Cook registered .27 percent blood-alcohol content.

The officer also reported finding two small bags of marijuana in the vehicle, along with paraphernalia, and a bottle of wine and a bottle of liquor.

Cook pleaded guilty to drunken driving then, and drug possession charges were dropped. A judge sentenced her to a fine and probation before judgment on the DUI charge, meaning her record could be cleared if she stayed out of trouble.

Tillman said Cook disclosed the earlier charges when she was vetted by a search committee while seeking the office of bishop. She was elected as bishop in September.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bishop-faces-manslaughter-dui-charges-in-fatal-hit-and-run/

GFR7

To tell the truth, I was posting it to see if anyone would have compassion for her, or question the BAC legal limits. She was treated dreadfully on another forum, and I wanted to see what anyone would say or not say, on TOL....... :idunno:

The narrative is important, too.
As a Bishop, she represents Episcopaleans.
She had a serious and untreated addiction.
A father of two is dead.
Reports say she left the scene for 30 minutes.
It matters.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And what's the underlying point? People have problems even if they're priests?

What she has done is worse ... because she is a ... woman.

Regardless, she drove drunk and harmed another human being. Her punishment should be severe.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To tell the truth, I was posting it to see if anyone would have compassion for her, or question the BAC legal limits. She was treated dreadfully on another forum, and I wanted to see what anyone would say or not say, on TOL....... :idunno:
Had a guy who was like a little brother to me killed by a drunk driver. I don't tend to be that compassionate on the subject, but I've also had friends who were addicts, so I've seen that damage and the slavery unleashed by it.

The narrative is important, too.
As a Bishop, she represents Episcopaleans.
No, she serves them. She had a personal failing that was likely kept hidden and for a time under control. Addicts can be amazingly good at manipulation and deceit, both of others and themselves.

She had a serious and untreated addiction.
A father of two is dead.
Reports say she left the scene for 30 minutes.
It matters.
Every death matters and every addiction.

I hope that's not part of his narrative. It would be irrational.

Regardless, she drove drunk and harmed another human being. Her punishment should be severe.
Agreed.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Or maybe women arne't supposed to be a part of the clergy, SO SAYETH SCRIPTURE, and that rebellion has been met with unfortunate circumstances..

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or maybe women arne't supposed to be a part of the clergy, SO SAYETH SCRIPTURE, and that rebellion has been met with unfortunate circumstances..
I stand corrected. I thought your "liberals don't understand the separation of church and state" was the goofiest broadside I was likely to read by you.

And maybe (fill in the blank sex or other scandal) involving a priest or pastor is tied to some other dogmatic failure of their particular denomination...or, maybe people are imperfect and fail. Even church leaders, regardless of the perfection of their exegesis and following.

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
I stand corrected. I thought your "liberals don't understand the separation of church and state" was the goofiest broadside I was likely to read by you.

And maybe (fill in the blank sex or other scandal) involving a priest or pastor is tied to some other dogmatic failure of their particular denomination...or, maybe people are imperfect and fail. Even church leaders, regardless of the perfection of their exegesis and following.

I've never seen SoCaS be used properly by those who oppose Christian ideology in social politics ever.

Also, it is extraordinarily evident that men are supposed to be the apostolic administers, it is put very explicitly by Paul in his explaining of deceit through Eve. It is inevitably unbiblical to condone women preaching, regardless of the bleeding heart who argues.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I didn't see any underlying point outside of making sure it was known the driver was a bishop ... and a woman.

Were either of those points suppose to be seen as excuses? :idunno:

GFR7

It's a news story. Doesn't matter if it was a woman or man, but the Bishop part tends to matter, as she left the scene and the victim died.

GFR7

Town Heretic said:
Had a guy who was like a little brother to me killed by a drunk driver. I don't tend to be that compassionate on the subject, but I've also had friends who were addicts, so I've seen that damage and the slavery unleashed by it.
Yes; I can have compassion for both.

No, she serves them. She had a personal failing that was likely kept hidden and for a time under control. Addicts can be amazingly good at manipulation and deceit, both of others and themselves.
Her own Church released a statement saying she represents all Episcopaleans.

Every death matters and every addiction.

I know. Um, no. That's just Rusha's thing.

Last edited:

GFR7

I don't know that severe punishment is going to help anyone. Better to have her go around the country making speeches about untreated addictions. And to question if bicycles have any business being on the roads with vehicles (I think they belong on bike paths in parks). And how her texting may have been the cause of the accident, and not the wine. Her going to prison is not going to bring the man back.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To tell the truth, I was posting it to see if anyone would have compassion for her, or question the BAC legal limits.

.22 is above medically impared, which is .15. It is not nor ever was .1 or .08. Those are called legal limits for a reason. She should not act with negligence.

GFR7

.22 is above medically impared, which is .15. It is not nor ever was .1 or .08. Those are called legal limits for a reason. She should not act with negligence.
Well, I guess you're right - in this case it was pretty extreme She ignored her addiction problem and is in hot water now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes; I can have compassion for both.
That's a good thing.

Her own Church released a statement saying she represents all Episcopaleans.
Stupid comment for them to make then and I don't agree. I think that's part of our cultural problem, we see public servants as something more than they're meant to be.

GFR7

That's a good thing.

Stupid comment for them to make then and I don't agree. I think that's part of our cultural problem, we see public servants as something more than they're meant to be.
Someone went so far as to say, "When this man's 2 children grow up, the narrative will be, the Episcopal Church killed our father.

I think it's a shame that this woman could not admit her addiction and seek help for it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Someone went so far as to say, "When this man's 2 children grow up, the narrative will be, the Episcopal Church killed our father.
That would be pushing the envelope on a whole new generation of stupid. If a Baptist preacher cheats on his wife it doesn't tar Baptists. But I suppose it comes down to whether you're of the mind that people are responsible for their own actions or not.

I think it's a shame that this woman could not admit her addiction and seek help for it.
A personal tragedy that became a broader one.