Bad weather's coming!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The forecasters are predicting 4 to 6 inches of snow for my area and more for the people that live south of me. The high temperature predicted for today is 18 degrees with a wind chill of -6 degrees. None of my dogs are staying out for long during the day. And, I've already got dinner in the crock pot. I'm making cheesy broccoli and cauliflower soup. I'm also thinking about making a pan of cornbread to go with it.

Since my nephew left for Maryland (for a job interview with the naval warehouse), last week, I have to either relearn to cook for one person without resorting to convenience (microwave) meals or start freezing my leftovers. I think I will freeze my leftovers. Gives me a lot less cooking to do during the month. I need to clean my chest freezer out so that I can buy a meat package from my butcher. But, since it's out on the back porch, that can wait until it warms up a bit. I think my cats are going to be very happy when I do it.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not driving anywhere for at least the next two days, if we get as much snow as they're calling for. I live on a back road that doesn't get salted unless we have more than 8 inches of snow. I was going to go to one of my favorite local restaurants for their lunch buffet until I heard the weather forecast. I'm just going to hunker down and try to stay warm.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Stay safe and warm Nori! We are set to get a couple inches of snow tomorrow but right now we're just dealing with some bad cold. Right now Accuweather says it is -1 with a wind chill of -21. I'm dog-sitting for my parents right now and it isn't fun taking them outside. :eek:

Also, that soup sounds good! :TomO:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The forecasters are predicting 4 to 6 inches of snow for my area and more for the people that live south of me. The high temperature predicted for today is 18 degrees with a wind chill of -6 degrees. None of my dogs are staying out for long during the day. And, I've already got dinner in the crock pot. I'm making cheesy broccoli and cauliflower soup. I'm also thinking about making a pan of cornbread to go with it.

Since my nephew left for Maryland (for a job interview with the naval warehouse), last week, I have to either relearn to cook for one person without resorting to convenience (microwave) meals or start freezing my leftovers. I think I will freeze my leftovers. Gives me a lot less cooking to do during the month. I need to clean my chest freezer out so that I can buy a meat package from my butcher. But, since it's out on the back porch, that can wait until it warms up a bit. I think my cats are going to be very happy when I do it.
You are describing the weather that we have been dealing with for a while. It does get tough. The cheesy broccoli and cauliflower soup sounds mighty good though.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I made up this recipe, Delmar. It's two bags of frozen broccoli, one bag of frozen cauliflower, one box of Velveeta (I use the Kroger brand), and one box of beef broth. I just cut up the cheese and put everything in the crock pot on low until the cheese melts all the way, mix it up, and begin eating whenever I'm hungry (which isn't long after smelling the broccoli and cauliflower cooking all day).

PureX

When I let the dog out at 7am this morning, the thermometer on the back deck read -22F. I don't remember it ever being that cold, here.

rainee

I thought I understood you to say, Nori, that you can use your backporch for a freezer?

And the soup sounds grand, yum!

I can't imagine how you prepare for a stretch of weather like that. Long time ago I lived in southern Oregon but was not there long enough to see any real day stopping winter weather come in.
But you are having to be in survival mode I think and it is startling and/or amazing to listen to y'all and watch the news.

NOT that I have not been freezing off and on this winter!
The cold fronts waft down here and though they are not long lasting or too severe they freeze my bohinkus off, which makes me wonder what it is like for y'all even more..
We are forecasted to get way down on Wednesday night and then start the climb back up...

Y'all stay safe and warm!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The storm rolled through the StL last night and is tapering off. The 5-9 inches is now at a staggering 2 inches and the grass is almost covered. It started with light sleet and is very cold. The streets are slick.

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The storm rolled through the StL last night and is tapering off. The 5-9 inches is now at a staggering 2 inches and the grass is almost covered. It started with light sleet and is very cold. The streets are slick.

I'm hoping it pans out like that here. It started snowing an hour ago and the grass can still be seen.

PureX

We're at 91.3 inches of snow for the 2014-2015 season, so far. And more is expected, of course. We're currently in 5th place in the nation for most snow this season. Last year we were #1.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Before this month, the weather men were comparing our 4 to 8 inches this year to the 12 to 16 inches of snow we got last year. :chuckle: I didn't think winter was over when I heard that. They call these days "roller coaster weather" days, in south eastern Indiana.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It snowed light all morning and is still coming down very light and thin. I would put it at about 3-4" total over the last 14 hours.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
We're at 91.3 inches of snow for the 2014-2015 season, so far. And more is expected, of course. We're currently in 5th place in the nation for most snow this season. Last year we were #1.

I never want to live there. :eek:

Who is ahead of you this year?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I never want to live there. :eek:

Who is ahead of you this year?

How about Cleveland and east on the shores of Lake Erie? It is shallow and warm when it doesn't freeze. That is what Cleveland and Buffalo lake effect snow is. Those cold Canadian winds blow across that warm water and absorb the moisture and dump it.