Atheists and abortion

quip

BANNED
Banned
So, the mother has no right to take the baby's life against his/her will in order to further her own life?

Good argument against abortion.

:chuckle: Nice dodge. (Nice projection of will upon will-less incipient life.)

This is a precursor to abortion though.

So, in otherwords, you cannot show legal precedent where one is legally required to cede their body - in part or in whole - to sustain another's life?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
So, how would you convince your daughter's peers that being raped is something to be ridiculed?
Are you going to dress your daughter in a clown costume and stand her on in front of her school with a sign saying, "Laugh at me because I got raped and refuse to get an abortion"?

Again, where did I say that peer ridicule of rape is okay? For someone that claims to uphold Christian values, you lie pathologically

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
What you said (quoted above) is that killing the baby is justified because the girl will get ridiculed.

Why not actually solve the problem and kill the people that ridicule the rape victim?

If someone teases your kid do you beat up your kid or the people teasing them?

Would you rather be known as a person who was raped or a person who killed their own child?

An embryo prior to 8 weeks isn't a human child. Not yet. I'd MUCH rather give my daughter the decision to terminate than to force her to go through a traumatic pregnancy right after being raped, as if that wasn't traumatizing enough. I don't love the embryo. I love my daughter. And if she was raped, I'm giving her the option of what to do 100% of the time

fool

Hall of Fame
An embryo prior to 8 weeks isn't a human child.
Yes it is, we can see that using science. Not only do we know what it is we know who it is.
It's your grandson.

Yes yet. Complete with family tree.

I'd MUCH rather give my daughter the decision to terminate than to force her to go through a traumatic pregnancy right after being raped, as if that wasn't traumatizing enough.
Killing her own child will not undo the rape.
The rape is forever, the killing will be forever to.

I don't love the embryo.
You should, it's your grandson.

I love my daughter.
You can love them both. It's actually normal to.
And if she was raped, I'm giving her the option of what to do 100% of the time
But what would you advise her to do?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Yes it is, we can see that using science. Not only do we know what it is we know who it is.
It's your grandson.

Yes yet. Complete with family tree.

Killing her own child will not undo the rape.
The rape is forever, the killing will be forever to.

You should, it's your grandson.

You can love them both. It's actually normal to.

But what would you advise her to do?

I'd advise her to consider that she might regret the decision to abort, tell her that she will without a doubt go through a very difficult pregnancy period and that her life would be irreversibly changed with the child at such a young age, and that it could severely damage her ability to get a college education and a good job. I'd tell her to think about that, then decide what she wants to do. She didn't ask for this, and it's not her fault. If she wants a bright future instead of a baby that she never asked for, then I fully support her. If she wants to have the baby, I fully support her. Bottom line: she gets to decide because she is not to blame

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
:mock: kiwimacahau, an Anglican who loves homos and abortion.

:mock: Stripe

A cowardly "Christian" who runs and hides whenever he is shown to be wrong, which is daily, and yet somehow finds the nerve to try and call out others. In addition to this, he is ignorant or in denial of anything and everything inconvenient to his narrow views on all matters.

What an example. Surely Jesus is proud to have you vouching for him

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd advise her to consider that she might regret the decision to abort, tell her that she will without a doubt go through a very difficult pregnancy period and that her life would be irreversibly changed with the child at such a young age, and that it could severely damage her ability to get a college education and a good job. I'd tell her to think about that, then decide what she wants to do.
So your idea of balance is might regret against will go through a hard pregnancy severely damaging her future.

That's not only a distorted presentation, it's wrong. People with kids go to Harvard and even Princeton. People with kids get terrific jobs. Happens all the time. There are even people who, filled in on her back story, would find that sort of courage and tenacity more impressive than the usual applicant. And her pregnancy might be difficult, but every pregnancy is a challenge. Shouldn't be undersold or undervalued. And regret doesn't begin to cover how she might feel about ending that life at some point in her own.

She didn't ask for this, and it's not her fault.
Fair enough. But now she's entrusted with a life and the future that life may lead.

If she wants a bright future instead of a baby
They aren't mutually exclusive. Lots of people with bright futures have children.

that she never asked for, then I fully support her.
Sounds like you're supporting her all the way to the doctor's office.

If she wants to have the baby, I fully support her.
If true it looks as though the only reason it would be true is because she chose it and that if you made the choice the unborn child wouldn't stand much of a chance.

Bottom line: she gets to decide because she is not to blame
Well, no. That's a narcissistic approach. It isn't a good one.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
So your idea of balance is might regret against will go through a hard pregnancy severely damaging her future.

That's not only a distorted presentation, it's wrong. People with kids go to Harvard and even Princeton. People with kids get terrific jobs. Happens all the time. There are even people who, filled in on her back story, would find that sort of courage and tenacity more impressive than the usual applicant. And her pregnancy might be difficult, but every pregnancy is a challenge. Shouldn't be undersold or undervalued. And regret doesn't begin to cover how she might feel about ending that life at some point in her own.

Fair enough. But now she's entrusted with a life and the future that life may lead.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Lots of people with bright futures have children.

Sounds like you're supporting her all the way to the doctor's office.

If true it looks as though the only reason it would be true is because she chose it and that if you made the choice the unborn child wouldn't stand much of a chance.

Well, no. That's a narcissistic approach. It isn't a good one.

Please name three people who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, or Yale who were single mothers raising their first child.

She isn't just raising a kid. Now THAT is misrepresenting. She is a teenage single mother who will obviously get no help from the rapist baby daddy. How would she even afford to go to an Ivy League school while raising a baby by herself?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Please name three people who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, or Yale who were single mothers raising their first child.
Name any who've been denied entrance or an education because they had children. You're the one advancing child birth as the end of that aspiration.

At any rate, I could name at least one from Princeton and others from less lofty institutions (whose graduates actually end up doing comparably and without the debt burden), but you wouldn't know her. I've had friends who met in college and had a child while attending. It's just not a bar, though it increases the difficulty, but so do any number of things from poverty to natural ability.

The point being that it really isn't and doesn't have to be a bar to that bright future you all but told her would be ripped away if she went forward with her pregnancy.

Here's what you can do, call the local admissions at any college you have in mind and ask if they have active programs for women attending with children. It's been trending upward for some time now.

Around five percent of colleges offered actual day care for students about as many years ago, according to U.S. News. That's five percent of colleges across the country. Sounds small until you consider the number of college programs. And it's trending up.

Now if she has anything like help from family and/or religious institutions in that department there is money to assist her in her academic endeavors no matter where she wants to go, from the purely academic to Pell to scholarships specifically aimed at helping single mothers.

She isn't just raising a kid.
Never said she was just raising a kid.

Now THAT is misrepresenting.
It would be, but I didn't do it.

She is a teenage single mother who will obviously get no help from the rapist baby daddy.
Well, no. That's not necessarily true either. Child support obligations and mechanisms would be in play. So it's possible she would.

quip

BANNED
Banned
That's not only a distorted presentation, it's wrong. People with kids go to Harvard and even Princeton. People with kids get terrific jobs. Happens all the time. There are even people who, filled in on her back story, would find that sort of courage and tenacity more impressive than the usual applicant.

Gee TH...this made me blush on your behalf!

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Name any who've been denied entrance or an education because they had children. You're the one advancing child birth as the end of that aspiration.

At any rate, I could name at least one from Princeton and others from less lofty institutions (whose graduates actually end up doing comparably and without the debt burden), but you wouldn't know her. I've had friends who met in college and had a child while attending. It's just not a bar, though it increases the difficulty, but so do any number of things from poverty to natural ability.

The point being that it really isn't and doesn't have to be a bar to that bright future you all but told her would be ripped away if she went forward with her pregnancy.

Here's what you can do, call the local admissions at any college you have in mind and ask if they have active programs for women attending with children. It's been trending upward for some time now.

Around five percent of colleges offered actual day care for students about as many years ago, according to U.S. News. That's five percent of colleges across the country. Sounds small until you consider the number of college programs. And it's trending up.

Now if she has anything like help from family and/or religious institutions in that department there is money to assist her in her academic endeavors no matter where she wants to go, from the purely academic to Pell to scholarships specifically aimed at helping single mothers.

Never said she was just raising a kid.

It would be, but I didn't do it.

Well, no. That's not necessarily true either. Child support obligations and mechanisms would be in play. So it's possible she would.

So basically you made a bold statement and cannot back it up. Well done.

It's possible, but not likely, that she would. Nice defense of your point

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Also, things He said to them.

And if she kills the child she will be to blame for that.

He didn't call them heretics. He called them hypocrites. Study up.

No she isn't to blame. That's like blaming a shooting victim for looking too easy a target

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So basically you made a bold statement and cannot back it up. Well done.
Not remotely the case, but I can see why you'd try to make it about my posting a few names you wouldn't know or have any way to confirm instead of dealing with the actual case, which is easily verifiable.

Google the subject for a moment or call your local admissions and it's not hard to find the answers you don't appear to want to exist. But if you're determined to end a life, which nearly every contextual weighting you made indicates, I can understand your reticence.

As I said five years ago five percent of colleges across the board went as far as providing daycare. And, again, there are scholarships specifically for women with children. There's a great deal of help and a child isn't a bar to any of that bright future you noted. In fact, most parents would probably argue that future would be brighter, depending on what you value.

It's possible, but not likely, that she would. Nice defense of your point
Rather, my slippery friend, it was an answer/rebuttal to your notion that she would "obviously get no help".

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Not remotely the case, but I can see why you'd try to make it about my posting a few names you wouldn't know or have any way to confirm instead of dealing with the actual case, which is easily verifiable.

Google the subject for a moment or call your local admissions and it's not hard to find the answers you don't appear to want to exist. But if you're determined to end a life, which nearly every contextual weighting you made indicates, I can understand your reticence.

As I said five years ago five percent of colleges across the board went as far as providing daycare. And, again, there are scholarships specifically for women with children. There's a great deal of help and a child isn't a bar to any of that bright future you noted. In fact, most parents would probably argue that future would be brighter, depending on what you value.

Rather, my slippery friend, it was an answer/rebuttal to your notion that she would "obviously get no help".

Hold on, what rapist father is supporting his rape baby child? Can you give an example?

When you make a bold blanket statement as you did, you need to back it up. If you cannot, don't expect me to not call you on it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hold on, what rapist father is supporting his rape baby child? Can you give an example?

When you make a bold blanket statement as you did,
Bold? I said: "Well, no. That's not necessarily true either. Child support obligations and mechanisms would be in play. So it's possible she would."

That's not bold, it's just a lawyer recognizing that the law holds a father liable for support if and when he is capable of providing it. So if the rapist (be it of the violent or statutory variety) is out and earning his earnings are subject to seizure for failure to provide, as it was with Nick Olivas of Phoenix, Arz. (Sept. 3, 2014 USA Today).

And the point is easily verifiable. Go look at your state code on child support and who is responsible for it.

you need to back it up. If you cannot, don't expect me to not call you on it
I don't mind an inquiry on any point I make. Always happy to oblige.