Not open for further replies.

The Berean

allsmiles said:
no, i'm serious.

what's a gerund?

Main Entry: ger·und
Pronunciation: 'jer-&nd
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin gerundium, from Latin gerundus, gerundive of gerere to bear, carry on
1 : a verbal noun in Latin that expresses generalized or uncompleted action
2 : any of several linguistic forms analogous to the Latin gerund in languages other than Latin; especially : the English verbal noun in -ing that has the function of a substantive and at the same time shows the verbal features of tense, voice, and capacity to take adverbial qualifiers and to govern objects

Zakath

Resident Atheist
The Berean said:
Main Entry: ger·und
Pronunciation: 'jer-&nd
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin gerundium, from Latin gerundus, gerundive of gerere to bear, carry on
1 : a verbal noun in Latin that expresses generalized or uncompleted action
2 : any of several linguistic forms analogous to the Latin gerund in languages other than Latin; especially : the English verbal noun in -ing that has the function of a substantive and at the same time shows the verbal features of tense, voice, and capacity to take adverbial qualifiers and to govern objects
Examples?

Posting on TOL is a popular pastime for some folks.

Posting is a gerund.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That dictionary definition is pretty loaded with grammar jargon.

In a nutshell, a gerund is a verb ending in -ing that acts as a noun.

They're especially common as names of sports: skiing, fencing, throwing, curling, golfing, bowling, running, hurdling, wrestling...

This evening I'm bowling with my buddy. - "Bowling" acts as a verb.

Bowling is fun. - "Bowling" acts as a noun, as a name of the sport/activity, and is therefore a gerund.

Some other verbs that are often used as gerunds: Painting, drawing, sculting, driving, singing, dancing, loitering, working, exercising, moving, traveling... Any verb that can be used in my example in place of "Bowling" (even if it isn't really fun).

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Turbo said:
That dictionary definition is pretty loaded with grammar jargon.

In a nutshell, a gerund is a verb ending in -ing that acts as a noun.

They're especially common as names of sports: skiing, fencing, throwing, curling, golfing, bowling, running, hurdling, wrestling...

This evening I'm bowling with my buddy. - "Bowling" acts as a verb.

Bowling is fun. - "Bowling" acts as a noun, as a name of the sport/activity, and is therefore a gerund.

Some other verbs that are often used as gerunds: Painting, drawing, sculting, driving, singing, dancing, loitering, working, exercising, moving, traveling... Any verb that can be used in my example in place of "Bowling" (even if it isn't really fun).
Actually "bowling" as a verb is the gerund form of the noun "bowl". ;)

Rydo

Caledvwlch said:
It does make it difficult to follow someone's reasoning when their words don't make sense. But I hear what you're saying. Some atheists are mean. I for one pride myself on being as malodorous as possible, at all times.
You don't shower? ;)

asilentskeptic

Ow... talk about a hijacked thread! Someone start a "Proper English" thread!

Speaking *gerund* properly, and typing *gerund* properly are important in debate... Showering *another* is important to!

fool

Hall of Fame

And now fiddy tweny repped him back down again
You wanna blow some long gone poster back and forth like a leaf in the wind Mr.?
Bring it

Why don't you bring it on me if pushing that button makes you feel that good

Sticks

You used your first post to put a :rotfl: on a thread from 2005?

Ok, to each their own, I guess.

Welcome to TOL. :e4e:

Who cares where I post first and how I do it? Is it a competition or something? I'm here to be entertained by others' discussions and have discussions of my own with people, not keep track of when, what, or where I post.

Thanks for welcoming me.

Status
Not open for further replies.