Assisted-suicide bill approved by California Assembly

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Assisted-suicide bill approved by California Assembly by Sharon Bernstein Reuters] "A hard-fought measure to allow physician-assisted suicide in California passed the state Assembly on Wednesday despite opposition from religious groups and advocates for the disabled, moving to the state Senate where it is widely expected to pass.

The measure, which would allow doctors to prescribe medication to some terminally ill patients to end their lives if taken, passed 43-34 after weeks of hearings and passionate debate.

"Imagine that it's one of your constituents, suffering in agonizing pain - their pain medication no longer works," said Assembly member Luis Alejo, a Democrat from Watsonville who supported the bill. "Then imagine that it's your father or your mother or your grandparents or your daughter."

Under the bill, which was pulled for lack of support in July but reintroduced last month as part of a special legislative session to deal with healthcare issues, two doctors would have to attest that a patient had only six months to live before the medication could be prescribed.

The bill makes it a felony to coerce or trick someone into taking the medication, or to force it on someone. Patients who are not mentally competent would not be allowed to receive a prescription.

Assisted suicide is legal in Oregon, Washington state, Montana and Vermont, although supporters have tried numerous times to legalize it in California without success.

The issue rose to prominence in the most populous U.S. state last year after a terminally ill 29-year-old cancer patient, Brittany Maynard, moved from California to Oregon to take advance of that state's law.

A measure introduced after Maynard's death won the support of the state Senate in June, but died in the assembly Health Committee, amid opposition from the Catholic Church, disability rights advocates and others.

Supporters re-introduced it during a special session on healthcare called by California Governor Jerry Brown, with the assembly's health committee comprised of members generally more sympathetic to the bill.

It now goes back to the Senate, where it is expected to pass..." Full text: Assisted-suicide bill approved by California Assembly Ex 20:13

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think most Christians will agree. making someone dead is sinful.

What seems like a better issue is making one who would live longer, and insisting on it, is that not man-made life? Not sure I am stating this right?

Suppose one who is up in age develops cancer. This person refuses chemo-therapy and radiation, based on knowing the procedure is painful and debilitating, not to mention it most likely will per-long life only a few years. Say this person would rather be relatively healthy and enjoy the life God gave him, or her. It this sinful?

Buzzword

No one should have to endure a slow, painful death.

The undercurrent of all civil law is bodily autonomy, that you cannot force me to do anything within my own body, nor can you restrict anything I do to my own body unless it interferes with someone else's body.

How does this NOT apply to being able to end one's life with dignity and a minimum of pain and suffering, with the aid of a trained medical professional?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
How does this NOT apply to being able to end one's life with dignity and a minimum of pain and suffering, with the aid of a trained medical professional?

The physician would be violating an oath. God gave you life and you have no right to end it.

If you do not care about what God expects of you, why involve someone else? Ending ones life is very easy.

Buzzword

The physician would be violating an oath. God gave you life and you have no right to end it.

If you do not care about what God expects of you, why involve someone else? Ending ones life is very easy.

Last I looked, their oath was to "do no harm".

The physician keeping you alive against your will would be "doing harm."
The physician withdrawing treatment to leave you suffering until death would be "doing harm."

The physician providing the medication to end life painlessly and in full control of one's faculties is not "doing harm".

And if we're going to bring God into it (which is odd because this is about personal dignity and ending unnecessary suffering) where and when did He ever say "I sentence you to slowly waste away in extreme, incurable physical pain until you are nothing but a burden to everyone around you, can't even wipe yourself, and can't even remember the joys of living"?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Is it law to force people to get expensive therapy or treatment in order to just extend a few years with pain?

I told my family I will not accept expensive treatment when I get seriously ill.

bybee

Is it law to force people to get expensive therapy in order to just extend a few years with pain?

I told my family I will not accept expensive treatment when I get seriously ill.

You may discuss with your primary physician filling out a form which covers your wishes regarding what you are willing to have done and what you are unwilling to have done.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You may discuss with your primary physician filling out a form which covers your wishes regarding what you are willing to have done and what you are unwilling to have done.

My point is that it is not suicide not to accept treatment if it is expensive and painful in order to prolong a few years of miserable life.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Last I looked, their oath was to "do no harm".

The physician keeping you alive against your will would be "doing harm."
The physician withdrawing treatment to leave you suffering until death would be "doing harm."

The physician providing the medication to end life painlessly and in full control of one's faculties is not "doing harm".

Maybe what you say makes sense to you, although it is not how 'doing harm' is defined for physicians.

Need clarification? If you have an order DOR, then the physician cannot keep you alive. If you have an order, no CPR' then the emergency team cannot administer, any resuscitation process.

In other words, the 'do no harm' rule is not violated when there is no attempt to facilitate in breathing, or starting the heart beating.

There us also no violation, when one is terminal ill to administer strong narcotics, without concern of addiction, which will stop pain.

There is some debate on the free self administrating if narcotics, when death may occur from medication by the patient.

You are asking, as do they on the left coast to have physician give, or prescribe a lethal Barbital , Barbiturate mixture, which is doing harm.

Since this is often used in Capital sentences, then there may be some change to have it made available by other recourse.

This does violate the law of God, as I understand it. If you do not care and wish to take on matters, I would say why involved physicians?

It does not take any spectacular talent to die:cry:

goodnight :mmph:

meshak

BANNED
Banned
This does violate the law of God, as I understand it. If you do not care and wish to take on matters, I would say why involved physicians?

You are right, all one has to do is to stop the treatment.

No one has to be involved in it.

Tinark

God is in control. Man should not think he knows better than God.

You are free to lie there in agony on your death bed, mind fogged up and pumped full of drugs.

I, on the other hand, want the option to end it. Just knowing the option will be there for me should I desire it (in WA state) helps ease the anxiety a little bit from dying (although I'm young enough that it isn't much of a worry at this point in time). That I won't be forced to suffer unbearable agony. And your religious tyranny to prevent me the option has no place in a secular society. This law isn't for you, it is for others. You need to stop trying to force yourself and your religion into others' lives. It's one of the main reasons your religion is dying so fast, the people have had enough.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You are free to lie there in agony on your death bed, mind fogged up and pumped full of drugs.

I, on the other hand, want the option to end it. Just knowing the option will be there for me should I desire it (in WA state) helps ease the anxiety a little bit from dying (although I'm young enough that it isn't much of a worry at this point in time). That I won't be forced to suffer unbearable agony. And your religious tyranny to prevent me the option has no place in a secular society. This law isn't for you, it is for others. You need to stop trying to force yourself and your religion into others' lives. It's one of the main reasons your religion is dying so fast, the people have had enough.

No need to get a doctor involved in your death wish, you need only locate the heroin dealer on the corner and do what you want to happen yourself instead of trying to cause others to be involved in your choice to sin.

Tinark

No need to get a doctor involved in your death wish, you need only locate the heroin dealer on the corner and do what you want to happen yourself instead of trying to cause others to be involved in your choice to sin.

When I am old and infirm and unable to take care of myself and fogged up on painkillers, how exactly is that going to happen? Stop making lame excuses.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
When I am old and infirm and unable to take care of myself and fogged up on painkillers, how exactly is that going to happen? Stop making lame excuses.

If you have painkillers you can be fogged up on, you can certainly take more of them, instead of involving someone else.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...Just knowing the option will be there for me should I desire it (in WA state) helps ease the anxiety a little bit...You need to stop trying to force yourself and your religion into others' lives."

:noway: Then why are you forcing yourself and your godless views into others' lives? :dizzy: Pr 8:36