Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Knight,
When using Lynx, the most popular text-based web browser, I'm not able to make posts. The reason is because of the ability to attach images. Right now, all there is for attaching images is a text box to enter the file name. Graphical browsers will assume you don't want to attach a file if the text box is empty, but apparently text browsers won't. It gives me an error saying it can't upload the file. I can make posts on other webforums that allow for file attachments, so I know it's just a matter of fixing it to work for all browsers. You're not a browserist are you?
:chuckle:
I'm thinking maybe by adding an "Attach file?" kind of checkmark next to it, so that by leaving it unchecked, it won't try to upload images.

I know this is probably asking a lot, so I won't feel too outrageously outraged if nothing changes.

:geek:

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Lucky

Knight,
When using Lynx, the most popular text-based web browser, I'm not able to make posts. The reason is because of the ability to attach images. Right now, all there is for attaching images is a text box to enter the file name. Graphical browsers will assume you don't want to attach a file if the text box is empty, but apparently text browsers won't. It gives me an error saying it can't upload the file. I can make posts on other webforums that allow for file attachments, so I know it's just a matter of fixing it to work for all browsers. You're not a browserist are you?
:chuckle:
I'm thinking maybe by adding an "Attach file?" kind of checkmark next to it, so that by leaving it unchecked, it won't try to upload images.

I know this is probably asking a lot, so I won't feel too outrageously outraged if nothing changes.

:geek:
Sorry for your trouble Lucky but your gonna have to use a more "standard" browser. :)

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Re: TEST123

Re: TEST123

(I'm testing out a different text-based browser.)
Hey! It works! Cool. :cool:

This one is called elinks. It even displays pages better.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well then, you should thank Knight for not accommodating that lesser browser you were using. :) Tough love strikes again! ;)

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LightSon

How is a "text-based browser" different than from, say, Internet Explorer?
No eye-candy whatsoever.

Last edited:

LightSon

No eye-candy whatsoever.

Okay. Thanks. This is just like the old "green screen" terminals hung off the mainframe computers of yesteryear.

I fail to see the advantage, unless it is your specific goal to preclude seeing "eye candy". Is that your goal, to avoid looking at feminine distractions in the ads?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LightSon

Okay. Thanks. This is just like the old "green screen" terminals hung off the mainframe computers of yesteryear.
Pretty much. I can change the colors around, but I prefer the light-green text on black background.
I fail to see the advantage, unless it is your specific goal to preclude seeing "eye candy". Is that your goal, to avoid looking at feminine distractions in the ads?
:chuckle: Not really.

I don't use that browser that much. (Gotta have these smilies! :D) It's just kinda interesting to use sometimes. Text browsers are good for servers without a graphical environment and over SSH, Telnet, or similiar text-only sessions. Plus, if you are running a super old computer, they don't hog memory and sys resources like a graphical browser would.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
tol_in_textbased.jpg

No eye-candy whatsoever.
I love it.

Of course, my only interest in text based browsing would be to pipe the character stream to a screen-scraper program on the server and automate some tasks.

And to stay on topic - what does Knight think of the concept of betrothal? How do you define that term?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Yorzhik
And to stay on topic - what does Knight think of the concept of betrothal? How do you define that term?
I know, I know, I know.... you have daughters and I have sons.... your trying to tell me something aren't you? :chuckle: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.