Ask an Aussie

I thought I'd start a lighthearted thread about my amazing country, Australia.

Do you have a question you've always wanted an answer to about Australia? Here's your chance.....

:)
An American friend of mine was working as a welder in Australia. The money was excellent but the rules for a working visa kept him from staying there. Does Australia have an immigration problem that being the reason for tighter restrictions?

Thunder's Muse

An American friend of mine was working as a welder in Australia. The money was excellent but the rules for a working visa kept him from staying there. Does Australia have an immigration problem that being the reason for tighter restrictions?

We actually have a big problem with boat people arriving from Indonesia etc. There are thousands in detention for arriving illegally and a lot will be sent back home.

Australia is a very multi cultural place but the issue is the unsea worthy boats and the amount of men, women and children who drown en route to Oz.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

We actually have a big problem with boat people arriving from Indonesia etc. There are thousands in detention for arriving illegally and a lot will be sent back home.

Australia is a very multi cultural place but the issue is the unsea worthy boats and the amount of men, women and children who drown en route to Oz.

The USA had a similar problem with "boat people" from Cuba. They have settled in Florida mostly but a lot of people died on the way to freedom. Of course you probably know about the flood of Hispanics from Mexico and other South and Central American countries coming across our borders illegally. That doesn't bother me as long as we can keep those pesky Canadians out! :)

A follow-up question: is there a criteria for letting some stay?

Thunder's Muse

The USA had a similar problem with "boat people" from Cuba. They have settled in Florida mostly but a lot of people died on the way to freedom. Of course you probably know about the flood of Hispanics from Mexico and other South and Central American countries coming across our borders illegally. That doesn't bother me as long as we can keep those pesky Canadians out! :)

A follow-up question: is there a criteria for letting some stay?

I'm not 100% sure but skills/job/qualifications play a part, I'm thinking....

Thunder's Muse

Ask an Aussie

Really? Ok. The dingo wiki page says some people do keep them as pets and that this is controversial. Though the description of thier behavior sounds a bit too iffy fo them to make good pets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo

Strict regulations and licensing to own one. It's rare.

They are a wild dogs. I would never approach one.

Recently, Lindy Chamberlain had her murder conviction over turned and her child's death certificate changed to state that a Dingo was responsible.

The Dingo did indeed eat her baby.

Strict regulations and licensing to own one. It's rare.

They are a wild dogs. I would never approach one.

Recently, Lindy Chamberlain had her murder conviction over turned and her child's death certificate changed to state that a Dingo was responsible.

The Dingo did indeed eat her baby.

Was that the lady portrayed in the movie by Meryl Streep?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I thought I'd start a lighthearted thread about my amazing country, Australia.

Do you have a question you've always wanted an answer to about Australia? Here's your chance.....

:)

I always confused both Australia and Austria. Why are they so similar names? Are they nearby?

Thunder's Muse

What is the state of Christianity in Australia now, and if you know, New Zealand?

Australia isn't considered a 'Christian Country' as such but people are free to practice whatever religion they choose. Christianity is possibly the largest represented religion.

Our current Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, is a Christian man, as was Kevin Rudd. However, religion and politics are 2 very separate things here.

Thunder's Muse

I always confused both Australia and Austria. Why are they so similar names? Are they nearby?

No, Australia is all the way on the other side of the world, hence 'Land Down Under'.

The word 'Australia' is from the Latin 'Australis' meaning 'Southern Land'

The Berean

How are the Aboriginal people treated today? Are they more integrated into Australian society or do they keep to themselves? Are interracial (Aboriginal/white) marriages common or rare?

Thunder's Muse

How are the Aboriginal people treated today?

A lot better than they were when white man first arrived. There is still a lot of pain of the past for Aboriginal people but they are seen as equal citizens, as all Australians are.

Are the more integrated into Australian society or do they keep to themselves?

A bit of both, actually. There are those who choose to live in the cities and then there are those who still live in a traditional way, in the Outback.

Alcoholism is a big problem, however. There are some 'settlements' which look like something from a third world country and the mortality rate is much higher than that of white Australians.

Are interracial (Aboriginal/white) marriages common or rare?

Common. For instance, there are no full-blooded Aboriginals left in Tasmania.

The Berean

It seems the Aboriginal people had similar experiences as the Native Americans. Even today, life on an Native American reservation is rife with poverty and alcoholism. :(