ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Z Man said:
Genesis 2:5
For the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the earth...

Genesis 7:4
For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights...

Exodus 9:18
Behold, tomorrow about this time I will cause very heavy hail to rain down, such as has not been in Egypt since its founding until now.

Leviticus 26:4
Then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.

De 11:17
...lest the Lord's anger be aroused against you, and He shut up the heavens so that there be no rain...

1Samuel 12:18
So Samuel called to the Lord, and the Lord sent thunder and rain that day; and all the people greatly feared the Lord and Samuel.

*I like this one: it affirms God causes weather, disease, and calamity, all in one! :D*

2 Chronicles 7:13
When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people...

Job 5:10
He gives rain on the earth, And sends waters on the fields.

Mark 4:37-41
And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?" Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!"

Gosh... do I really have to post anymore? Because I could. So do you still not believe God controls the weather? If so, you do not believe in the Bible.
You have absolutely, without a doubt, proven that God, at times, controls the weather! Good Job!

Z Man

God_Is_Truth said:
I don't think this is right. God reveals himself in nature, through morality, through reason. I agree that what we know about God apart from the Bible is limited, but I do believe we can get a fair picture of God without it. Don't you agree?
No. Like Rom 1:20 states, the only thing we get from nature is that God exists. We cannot, outside of Biblical reference, conjur up any doctrines or theologies about God based simply upon what we feel or observe in nature. If so, anythng could be taken as truth about God. The Bible must be the absolute truth. If not, Joe Shmuck could say he believes God is ______ (fill in the blank) based upon his observations in nature, and whose to say he's wrong?
Well have you read Luke 13?

4"Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem?

5"I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

Isn't Jesus's point here that the people were not crushed as a punishment from God, but that it was something that happened on it's own?
Yes, I've read it. I believe the first part of your statement, but not the second. I don't see Jesus inferring that it was an accident.
Jesus says that the people who died were not any worse than the others and so isn't he saying that the tower falling was not a specific judgment from God?
Yes. But that doesn't mean it was an accident either. Taking Isaiah 45:7 in consideration, and other countless times where God was behind catastrophe, I cannot conclude that the tower falling was a mere 'accident'.
How would you interpret this passage?
Taken from post #2205 of this thread:

I see this statement from Christ as a means to correct His disciples' misunderstanding on why people suffer from tragedy. Their common understanding of such an event as a tower falling on people, or a person being born blind, was that it was a form of punishment from God for their wrong doing. But Christ is trying to illustrate that the men who died tragically in Siloam were no worse than anybody else. Just like in John 9; the disciples, upon seeing a blind man from birth, immediately question Christ as to the cause of his blindness. "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus replied, "It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins. He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him".

Those people who died in Shiloam didn't die because they were horrible sinners; the guy in John 9 wasn't born blind because of his parent's sins; not everyone is given a disease, or a life of suffering, because they sinned or disobeyed God. The rain falls on the just and the unjust (Matt. 5:45). God uses tragedy to display His glory.​
Yes I agree that God has caused many things in history covering a wide range of calamity. But just because he has done many things does not necessarily mean he did them all, correct? Logically, one can be responsible for many things, even many types of things, and not be responsible for causing all of them. Don't you agree?
If we speak of humans, yes. But we are talking about God. If the Bible says God controls the weather, then He controls the weather. There is no proof that anyone or anything else controls the weather. If God causes diseases, even if it is via a secondary cause, such as Satan, then God causes diseases.

I do not beleive things just 'randomly' happen. The Bible says that even God controls which way the lot is cast (Proverbs 16:33) and that the disciples trusted God's decision by casting lots (Acts 1:26)! Nothing is left to chance.
Well then I think we have a problem because the Bible is not the only source of truth we have about God.
If it isn't, anything goes. Anyone could say God is a fruitcake and whose to prove them wrong?

Z Man

deardelmar said:
You have absolutely, without a doubt, proven that God, at times, controls the weather! Good Job!
Oh, so you believe He controls the weather now. Good to see you accept the Bible as the truth.

Now, since you believe God controls the weather SOME of the time, are you willing to provide evidence that may suggest to us who is in charge of it when God is 'out for lunch'?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
You believe God caused a storm, but didn't cause a storm. That's your contridiction.​
Z Man.. that's the 3rd time you have made that ridiculous misstatement.

If all you can do is blatantly misstate my position beyond all reason then I guess that means you really don't have much a substantive argument.

Only the dullest knives in the drawer can't see how dishonest you are being.

Z Man

Knight said:
Z Man.... question....

Do you agree with the following principle regardless of subject?

If God causes a specific event to happen, God therefore must cause all other similar events (without exception) to happen.
I believe more like:

If God causes a specific event to happen CONTINUOUSLY in the Bible, then God therefore must cause all other similar events (without exception) to happen.

If God is the cause of weather in the Bible, He must be the cause of it in our lives, no? If God caused the rain that created a flood in Genesis, then He caused the rain that created a flood in New Orleans too, no? That's my take...

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Z Man said:
Oh, so you believe He controls the weather now. Good to see you accept the Bible as the truth.

Now, since you believe God controls the weather SOME of the time, are you willing to provide evidence that may suggest to us who is in charge of it when God is 'out for lunch'?
God is allowed to put things in motion and allow them to go as they will without asking your permission!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am curious to hear from someone else....

Maybe sentientsynth can help?

sentientsynth do you see any contradiction in my position:

My position is.... God caused THE flood in the book of Genesis (He tells us that He caused the flood and He also tells us why He caused the flood). Yet just because God caused THE flood in Genesis doesn't mean He causes EVERY flood thereafter.

Where is the contradiction in my above statement? (in blue)

Please keep in mind.... I am not asking to necessarily agree with my position I just want to know if you agree with Z Man that the position is contradictory.

Z Man

Knight said:
Z Man.. that's the 3rd time you have made that ridiculous misstatement.

If all you can do is blatantly misstate my position beyond all reason then I guess that means you really don't have much a substantive argument.

Only the dullest knives in the drawer can't see how dishonest you are being.
Please Knight... you are acting like a seventh grade school girl.

We all have our own personality flaws. The mark of a intelligent man is carefully hiding these flaws from the general public.

Maybe you can try a bit harder? Maybe you can up your effort and intellect level just a tad?

What do you say?

;)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
I believe more like:

If God causes a specific event to happen CONTINUOUSLY in the Bible, then God therefore must cause all other similar events (without exception) to happen.
Three questions....

#1. Why? Why do you believe that?

#2. How many times must God cause something to constitute "CONTINUOUSLY"? Two, three, four or more?? How many times must God cause something before it qualifies as "CONTINUOUSLY"?

#3.
If God does something only ONCE (and not "continuously") does that then mean He doesn't cause other similar events thereafter?

Z Man

Knight said:
I am curious to hear from someone else....

Maybe sentientsynth can help?

sentientsynth do you see any contradiction in my position:

My position is.... God caused THE flood in the book of Genesis (He tells us that He caused the flood and He also tells us why He caused the flood). Yet just because God caused THE flood in Genesis doesn't mean He causes EVERY flood thereafter.

Where is the contradiction in my above statement? (in blue)

Please keep in mind.... I am not asking to necessarily agree with my position I just want to know if you agree with Z Man that the position is contradictory.
Grow up.

Your previous position was contridictory Knight. You said God caused the storm that made a worldwide flood, but not a storm that caused a city-wide flood. That's contridictory.

Now you've changed your position. We haven't been debating floods - we've been debating weather in general. So you can't say I'm misrepresenting your position if that position isn't even the one we've been discussing.

Doesn't take a kindergartner to figure that one out...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
Please Knight... you are acting like a seventh grade school girl.

We all have our own personality flaws. The mark of a intelligent man is carefully hiding these flaws from the general public.

Maybe you can try a bit harder? Maybe you can up your effort and intellect level just a tad?

What do you say?

;)
And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. - Luke 6:31

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Z Man said:
Grow up.

Your previous position was contridictory Knight. You said God caused the storm that made a worldwide flood, but not a storm that caused a city-wide flood. That's contridictory.

Now you've changed your position. We haven't been debating floods - we've been debating weather in general. So you can't say I'm misrepresenting your position if that position isn't even the one we've been discussing.

Doesn't take a kindergartner to figure that one out...
When did he change his position?

Z Man

Knight said:
Three questions....

Because you haven't proved otherwise.
#2. How many times must God cause something to constitute "CONTINUOUSLY"? Two, three, four or more?? How many times must God cause something before it qualifies as "CONTINUOUSLY"?

It's not a question of 'how many times' - it's a question of who else would be the cause.
If God does something only ONCE (and not "continuously") does that then mean He doesn't cause other similar events thereafter?
I believe God caused a worldwide flood once, and that He'll never do it again. That doesn't mean, however, that He will not cause minor floods.

Z Man

Knight said:
And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. - Luke 6:31
But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. - Matthew 5:39

Z Man

Deardelmar,

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
Because you haven't proved otherwise.
That appears to be an answer to a question I didn't ask.

I asked...

I didn't ask... have I proved to you that you are wrong?

It's not a question of 'how many times' - it's a question of who else would be the cause.
You used the term "continuously", did you mean to use some other term????

I believe God caused a worldwide flood once, and that He'll never do it again. That doesn't mean, however, that He will not cause minor floods.
Maybe at somepoint you can answer the questions that I ask.

Until then I guess you will go on debating yourself. :chuckle:

Z Man

Knight said:
That appears to be an answer to a question I didn't ask.

I asked...
Because I generally tend to believe what the Bible says. Don't you?
You used the term "continuously", did you mean to use some other term????
No.
Maybe at somepoint you can answer the questions that I ask.

Until then I guess you will go on debating yourself. :chuckle:
:confused:

Your questions are more like dead ends.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Z Man said:
Deardelmar,

Sure thing, Just as soon as you provide evidence that the Bible says, or at least in some form implies, that the weather needs constant control.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
Deardelmar,

He doesn't have to!

It is you who asserts that if God causes ONE, God must cause ALL.

Here is essentially what you are asking Delmar....

Now, since you believe Knight caused a traffic accident last Thursday, are you willing to provide evidence that may suggest to us Knight doesn't cause ALL traffic accidents????

Your argument falls flat. It's silly, bizarre and irrational. (Hilston if your reading this maybe you could help me with some new adjectives). :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
Because I generally tend to believe what the Bible says. Don't you?
Excellent!

Now... please show me in the Bible where God says He causes ALL storms without exception?

That is the type of evidence you will need to make your case.