Are You Qualified to be the Executioner?

quip

BANNED
Banned
the point glory was making (i believe - correct me if i'm wrong glory) is that when the teachers of the law and the Pharisees said "in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women" they were being dishonest

the Law said more than that - it spoke of the man being brought also, it spoke of witnesses

and it spoke very harshly of false witnesses

Who said they didn't and weren't?
Do you believe that those gratuitous details belie Jesus's point?
Or are you just ducking and dodging..per the usual?

quip

BANNED
Banned
The law said there must be at least two witnesses, and that those two witnesses were the ones to throw the first stones.

Deuteronomy 17:6-7 KJV
(6) At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
(7) The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

Read above.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Are you really not able to make the connection? Quit being so obtuse.

They claimed to be witnesses to a crime.

The law says that the witnesses should be among the first (next to the victims) to cast stones.

They refused to stone her, which discredits them as witnesses.

Which fits what the passage says, that they were trying to trick Jesus.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So? That has nothing to do with the moral gist of his answer.
Which was perfectly in line with the law.

If there are no witnesses, or just one witness, you cannot establish guilt.

There were no witnesses, therefore she could not be found guilty of anything. Therefore she was let go.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Which was perfectly in line with the law.

If there are no witnesses, or just one witness, you cannot establish guilt.

There were no witnesses, therefore she could not be found guilty of anything. Therefore she was let go.

Then Jesus's 8:7 scripture quote has no context.
Is it your contention that Jesus spouts off worthless discussion?

quip

BANNED
Banned
What scripture was Jesus quoting, Quip?

I simply read scripture as is, and take it at face value. I don't try to read things into the text.

:doh: You know, the oft quoted one... the one that's been oft referenced here in this thread.

Yep, scripture may all too easily be spinned in favor of a particular rationalization and/or agenda.

Such be the "face-value" of things here. I'll simply leave it at that.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such a woman..."

What part of this English translation has you confused?

Nothing. I've read the law. They were wrong.

Pretty simple, huh? They said she should have been stoned, the law said otherwise. :up:

If you had followed the conversation, you'd know this.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Nothing. I've read the law. They were wrong.

Pretty simple, huh? They said she should have been stoned, the law said otherwise. :up:

If you had followed the conversation, you'd know this.

I follow it quite well.

Judicious application of the law was Jesus's point, not to blindly render it; administering the law by more than rote understanding and engagement...as many here are more than pleased to disregard.

"[9] And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

Not simple enough for you, huh?
Think of that... it actually requires effort! :idea:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I follow it quite well.
And yet you repeated all the dumb talking points that have been addressed numerous times. :rolleyes:

Judicious application of the law was Jesus's point, not to blindly render it; administering the law by more than rote understanding and engagement...as many here are more than pleased to disregard.

Looks like you're just making things up.

Regardless, the law says what it says. The woman could not have been justly convicted by it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

quip

BANNED
Banned
And yet you repeated all the dumb talking points that have been addressed numerous times. :rolleyes:

Looks like you're just making things up.

Regardless, the law says what it says. The woman could not have been justly convicted by it.

So, "following the law" is actually easier for you than thinking for yourself?

I get it...I really do. You're a spiritual sloth, a true lamb of God, replete with the flock animal's gift for intellectual rigor, discernment and compassion.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, "following the law" is actually easier for you than thinking for yourself?
This is just nonsense platitude.

The law says what it says. My motives are irrelevant.

The woman could not have been justly convicted by it.

I get it...I really do. You're a spiritual sloth, a true lamb of God, replete with the flock animal's gift for intellectual rigor, discernment and compassion.
:yawn:

quip

BANNED
Banned
The law says what it says. My motives are irrelevant.

That's what you can't seem to get through your thick head. No one performs actions/decisions in a vacuum. Your (everyone's) actions impact others, they play a vital role in dictating the direction of our collective consciousness.

Do you want to live in a mindless brute driven "eye-for-an-eye" world or a compassionate one?

I choose the latter...thus I'm committed in seeing the brute evolve.

It's your choice though Stripe. :idunno: