Are homosexual relationships any different from heterosexual ones?

drbrumley

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--A 15-page majority opinion by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Nov. 18 avoided several issues that conservatives say should be confronted before the nation embraces same-sex "marriage."

They point to research showing that homosexual relationships -- particularly those involving homosexual men -- are short-term and rarely monogamous. Such relationships, they say, lead to unhealthy behavior, which in turn produces a spread in sexually transmitted diseases.

Just this year the Centers for Disease Control announced that HIV and syphilis rates among homosexual men are up -- despite the fact that the "safe sex" message has been promoted in America for nearly two decades.

"People need to see that what we're condoning and what we're legalizing now has problems from the very onset," Mike Haley, a former homosexual who now works for Focus on the Family, told Baptist Press.

Tim Wilkins, another former homosexual who heads Cross Ministry, Inc, agreed.

"Even men and women who are homosexual and have been involved in homosexuality for years have told me frankly that they know of few if any long-term relationships -- male or female," he told BP.

Conservatives say the brevity of homosexual relationships and lack of monogamy with them matters because the institution of marriage is already in trouble. The brevity of those relationships would change society greatly and would add to an already abysmal divorce rate, which in turn would negatively impact the children they raise.

Evangelicals agree with those arguments but say the problem runs much deeper. Homosexual relationships, they say, run counter to God's plan for mankind. Writing in a Crosswalk.com commentary Oct. 29, R. Albert Mohler Jr. of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary said that marriage is the "culminating picture of creation's goodness."

If homosexuality is rebellion against God, evangelicals say, then it will never bring the contentment that the homosexual seeks.

"Because of that void he is trying to fill it the wrong way and the only way he knows to fill it is through sexual encounters," Wilkins said. "But after the sexual encounter is over, the emptiness is even larger.

"The sexual relationships simply exacerbate the very problem that [the] male homosexual is trying to alleviate."

A 1985 book by two homosexual men, David McWhirter and Andrew Mattison, seems to underscore the problem of same-sex relationships. The book, "The Male Couple: How Relationships Develop," followed more than 150 homosexual men and found that 95 percent of them have "an arrangement whereby the partners may have sexual activity with others at some time under certain conditions." Their relationships lasted anywhere from one to 37 years.

With the debate over same-sex "marriage" intensifying, The New York Times ran a story in August showing that homosexuals in Canada are not rushing to tie the knot. The debate "pits those who celebrate a separate and flamboyant way of life as part of a counterculture against those who long for acceptance into the mainstream," the story read.

The story followed two men in their 40s, David Andrew and David Warren, who have lived together for seven years.

Although the men promise to protect one another, the story says "they stop short of monogamy, which is something Mr. Andrew also says he does not believe in."

The level of promiscuity varies, although it seems to be the norm, author Timothy J. Dailey argues in his book "Dark Obsession." He quotes a 1997 study of 2,583 older homosexual men published in the Journal of Sex Research that found the "modal range for number of sexual partners ... was 101-500." Ten to 15 percent said they had had more than 1,000 sexual partners.

"The gay community is going to tell you that the reason that their relationships have problems is because society has not yet condoned them and doesn't give them the privileges that heterosexuals have," Haley said.

"[But] when we look at areas like San Francisco or the Netherlands, which are very gay affirmative areas, those numbers are even higher."

The rate of infidelity among homosexuals counters that of heterosexuals. A survey published in the book "Sex in America" found that 90 percent of wives and 75 percent of husbands claimed never to have committed adultery.

The level of promiscuity has been harmful to both the health and the mortality rate of homosexual men.

A 1997 article published in the International Journal of Epidemiology found that in one Canadian urban area, the expected life span for a homosexual man at age 20 was 8 to 20 years less than that for all men.

And the problem of STDs is not improving. The Centers for Disease Control reported this year that new cases of HIV among homosexual men rose for the third straight year. Homosexual men accounted for 42 percent of new HIV cases in 2000 and 60 percent of all cases among all men -- despite the fact that homosexual men make up no more than 1 to 3 percent of the population. Among all new cases heterosexuals accounted for 33 percent, injection drug users 25 percent.

"Even the most promiscuous heterosexual male will not be [involved in] even close to the amount of promiscuity male homosexuals will be involved in," Wilkins said. "The reason is that the male homosexual has a void in his heart and life. ... Part of that void is the need for a sense of masculinity as to how God has created him.

"Because of that void he is trying to fill it the wrong way and the only way he knows to fill it is through sexual encounters. But after the sexual encounter is over, the emptiness is even larger."

Haley agreed.

"You have individuals attempting to meet an emotional need through a sexual relationship," he said. "And so when they get together and it's so sexually fueled and they're looking to have their needs met through the sexual encounter, you're left empty handed. There's not a cognitive realization of that -- they just think that the relationships break up and go on.

"Those of us that come out of homosexuality -- that's one of the first things we realize. These relationships that I'm having in these anonymous sexual encounters, they're never going to end up meeting the emotional need that I'm looking for."
--30--

For information on freedom from homosexuality, visit LifeWay Christian Resources webpage at: http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/mainpage/0,1701,M%3D50002,00.html

Thanks to BPnews.net

Last edited by a moderator:

lost anomaly

The question of letting homosexuals marry in the United States is not a religious debate or a moral one. The whole thing, I believe, is is it constitutional to bar homosexuals from marrying just because the are homosexual? It is discrimination if you don't let them marry and discrimination is NOT condoned by the US Constitution. Plus, the Bill of Rights states the pursuit or happiness. How will two homosexuals marrying infringe on your happiness?

Sozo

Originally posted by lost anomaly

The question of letting homosexuals marry in the United States is not a religious debate or a moral one. The whole thing, I believe, is is it constitutional to bar homosexuals from marrying just because the are homosexual? It is discrimination if you don't let them marry and discrimination is NOT condoned by the US Constitution. Plus, the Bill of Rights states the pursuit or happiness. How will two homosexuals marrying infringe on your happiness?

Dear lost one,

Shall we also let people marry their dogs?

ShadowMaid

It's their choice. What gives you the right to tell people how to live?

Just because it's their choice, doesn't make it right. We should try to help those people who are lost.

Sozo

Because insurance rates will be reflected by the benefits that perverts enjoy for their spouse. If homo marriages stand, medical insurance will be prohibitive.

Because perverts do not like to keep things to themselves, and have it has their priority to exploit themselves in plain view of children.

lost anomaly

Originally posted by Sozo

Because insurance rates will be reflected by the benefits that perverts enjoy for their spouse. If homo marriages stand, medical insurance will be prohibitive.

Because perverts do not like to keep things to themselves, and have it has their priority to exploit themselves in plain view of children.

Why would medical insurance be prohibited?

And the stereotype that all homosexuals are perverts is just that.....a stereotype. Have you ever REALLY known some one who was homosexual? and if you don't why is that?

Berean Todd

So should we let mass murderers do what they please also, just because it is their "choice" on how to live, and we "don't have any right to tell people how to live" according to you?

Sozo

Why would medical insurance be prohibited?

In other words, too costly for companies to continue to provide it as a benefit to their employees. Who do you think is lobbying Washington against these unions?

And the stereotype that all homosexuals are perverts is just that.....a stereotype.
Only someone who hates God would have that view.
Have you ever REALLY known some one who was homosexual? and if you don't why is that?
I have known, and counseled with several.

If you want to know why they are all perverts Click here and start reading the next several posts.

lost anomaly

Originally posted by Berean Todd

So should we let mass murderers do what they please also, just because it is their "choice" on how to live, and we "don't have any right to tell people how to live" according to you?

Well, as I said the Bill of Rights gives us the right to pursuit happienss, but in that article is says we have the right to pursue happiness AS LONG AS we don't infringe on other peoples happiness. In think murder falls out of the bill and should be punished accordingly.

lost anomaly

In other words, too costly for companies to continue to provide it as a benefit to their employees. Who do you think is lobbying Washington against these unions?

My father is an insurance agent and he's confused on why you say this because there is a way to get around that, if it where to happen. Buisness's buy things in groups but also individually. From the 14 years he's owned his buisness he says that something like that happening is very unlikely.

[/QUOTE] Only someone who hates God would have that view. I have known, and counseled with several.[/QUOTE]

Did I ever say I hated God? Did I ever say I was atheist? No, I don't believe I did. It's funny, a person should really never assume things. I don't ever remember stating my religious beliefs, nor do i recall you asking about them, so how do you know what I believe?

And the answer is no to both those questions. I believe that Jesus is the "new covenant", as a firend of mine puts it. And I believe that jesus even calls himself that. I don't believe that the old testament laws should be followed because then there would be need for animal sacrafices and I wouldn't be allowed to be in the temple of God according to the laws in the old testament. Because Jesus' died for me, I don't need to sacrafice anything because Jesus already sacraficed himself and because of him I can have a direct relationship with God, instead of through a rabbi or priest. I have yet to read a passage of the new testament condemning homosexuality, but if you know one please share. I read the one in levticus, but leviticus 11:10 also says I can't eat shellfish. That poses a problem for many christians I know.

lost anomaly

did I ever say I approved of homosexuality? did i ever say I condoned it and I thought it was ok? If I lead you to believe that them I'm sorry. I believe that a person should be respected and treated as an equal no matter their life style. That's all I am saying. The constitution says it will give everybody equal rights. The opertive word is everybody.

Sozo

did I ever say I approved of homosexuality? did i ever say I condoned it and I thought it was ok? If I lead you to believe that them I'm sorry. I believe that a person should be respected and treated as an equal no matter their life style. That's all I am saying. The constitution says it will give everybody equal rights. The opertive word is everybody.

It doesn't matter what the constitution says. As a Christian we do not get truth from "constitutions", but rather from God. Do you believe that we should "respect" murderers, child molestors, or rapists? Homosexuality is as much of a perversion as child molestation, murder, rape, etc. Homosexuals should be imprisoned and if they refuse to repent, be put to death.

lost anomaly

It doesn't matter what the constitution says. As a Christian we do not get truth from "constitutions", but rather from God.

Like I said, this is a debate for the state. Not christianity. We already have decided on this matter.

I personally don't believe it's right, but I strongly believe that our government is based on equality and justice and if homosexuals aren't treated equally, who is next. I can't remember who said it but my teacher showed us this quote that went something like, " When the Nazi's came for the Jews, I did nothing because it didn't concern me. When they came for the Poles, I did nothing because it didn't concern me. When they came for teh communist, I did nothing because I had nothing to do with it. But when they came for me, there was no one left to help." I remember it was a priest that survived a concentration camp.

So if the state starts discriminating one minority it's just going to continue until the entire system is corrupt. That is my point.

QUOTE]Do you believe that we should "respect" murderers, child molestors, or rapists? .....Homosexuals should be imprisoned and if they refuse to repent, be put to death.[/QUOTE]

Well, do you believe that everyone who refuse to repent should be imprisoned and put to death? does that include atheist, buddahist, creationist,muslim,judeaism (sp?) and any other relgion not of the christian faith?

Sozo

Like I said, this is a debate for the state. Not christianity. We already have decided on this matter.

I personally don't believe it's right, but I strongly believe that our government is based on equality and justice and if homosexuals aren't treated equally, who is next. I can't remember who said it but my teacher showed us this quote that went something like, " When the Nazi's came for the Jews, I did nothing because it didn't concern me. When they came for the Poles, I did nothing because it didn't concern me. When they came for teh communist, I did nothing because I had nothing to do with it. But when they came for me, there was no one left to help." I remember it was a priest that survived a concentration camp.

So if the state starts discriminating one minority it's just going to continue until the entire system is corrupt. That is my point.

Well, do you believe that everyone who refuse to repent should be imprisoned and put to death? does that include atheist, buddahist, creationist,muslim,judeaism (sp?) and any other relgion not of the christian faith?

lost...

First of all, homosexuality is not a religion, nor a race. You are deceived. Homosexuality is a chosen lifestyle of perversion just like child molestation or beastiality.

Secondly, if something is not done to stop evil men like homosexuals, then they will be the ones to do to Christians what the Nazis did to Jews.

You are immature in your thinking, and I assume very young.

lost anomaly

lost...
Homosexuality is a chosen lifestyle of perversion just like child molestation or beastiality.

Secondly, if something is not done to stop evil men like homosexuals, then they will be the ones to do to Christians what the Nazis did to Jews.

You are immature in your thinking, and I assume very young.

Is not your religion something you've chosen and your life style? Do you not try to abide by the laws or your religion that effect the way you live? And did you not choose to devote your life to God?

How do you know that Homosexuals will become the next Nazis? Please explain to me your reasons behind this thinking.

And what is immature about my thinking? Yes, I am only fourteen, which is young, but I would like to know why you feel this way. I am hear to learn and debate. I am sorry if you find me immature, but I am hear to grow as a person. I am also sorry if I seem rude, rash, and ill-educated, but I am just trying to learn.

Sozo

And what is immature about my thinking? Yes, I am only fourteen, which is young, but I would like to know why you feel this way. I am hear to learn and debate. I am sorry if you find me immature, but I am hear to grow as a person. I am also sorry if I seem rude, rash, and ill-educated, but I am just trying to learn.

Sorry, I understand.

Will talk later.