ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Clete you said specifically in your #662 post that they are days spent in the womb. Now you are changing it to try to hide your ignorance and scramble for damage control with your "need time for longer response comment."

You are a liar!

Yep, I saw that gross error and that disingenuious, procrastinating apologetic dodge.

Whether Clete, the humanist and false teacher, will admit he does not know spiritually of what he speaks, and will put up a forced explanation of his unfounded theories, will be interesting to wait for.

He probably thinks most will forget this conversation, and he can re-enter as some kind of knowledgeable guru at some later date . . .

But you and I will remember this conversation, won't we Baloney?

We will wait to hold Clete's feet to the hermeneutical fire, won't we Baloney?

Nang

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete you said specifically in your #662 post that they are days spent in the womb. Now you are changing it to try to hide your ignorance and scramble for damage control with your "need time for longer response comment."

You are a liar!
You're such a moron.

I know what I said and I meant it. It isn't my fault you draw faulty conclusions from what I clearly identified as an abbreviated response. Your stupidity doesn't make me a liar. The days I was referring too are mentioned in verse 16 and they are talking about the days spent in the womb, the process of embryonic development. Psalms 139 is one of dozens of examples where the Bible was millennia ahead of modern science.

I was going to go through the whole chapter but someone besides this nut case is going to have to convince me its worth the effort.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Shimei . . .

Your neg reps are meaningless to me, until you give reason beyond "wrong" and :kookoo:

baloney

BANNED
Banned
The psalm from the beginning is about God's all knowingness. All of a sudden we come to the verses that clearly refute OV. What does Clete do? He says; "This has nothing to do with the rest of the psalm, it's to do with human embryology. And that's not the book of Life that's refered to. It's ummm... a book on pre natal care!"

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
There are many books, but these persons were not written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Which people, the perpetrators or the kids? What is the significance of them not being writen in the Lambs book of life?

However, God saying their deeds "never entered His mind," means that God did not will, nor cause, nor command these to commit such abomination. God had full knowledge of their deeds, but He in His holiness remains "afar" from such sinners, who serve sin, death, and the devil instead of righteous God.

Ok, you said God did not cause this abomination. GREAT! I agree!!!

I have to go on and ask...

Did He plan it? Did He foreordain it? If so, how did He not "cause" it?

Spiritual principle: "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am tempted by God,' for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone." James 1:13

I could not agree more, which is why I can't buy the idea that God foreordains everything.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Which people, the perpetrators or the kids? What is the significance of them not being writen in the Lambs book of life?

Well, there are the records of Christian conversations, kept by God. See Malachi 3:16.

And then, there are all the books filled with the works of unbelievers (the "dead") recorded as evidence against them to be presented in God's court of Law, on Judgement Day. See Rev. 20:12.

Any not written in the Lamb's Book of Life ("registered in heaven") will suffer eternal judgment in the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:15)

Ok, you said God did not cause this abomination. GREAT! I agree!!!

I have to go on and ask...

Did He plan it? Did He foreordain it? If so, how did He not "cause" it?

God, in His foreknowledge of what Adam would do (as well as knowing exactly what Adam's sinful descendents would do), ordained the fate of Adam and all sinners . . .but God did not cause their actions of infidelity and rebellion.

Such actions of unbelief and disobedience to God, is clearly laid to the account of Adam, as federal head and representative of the human race, in Romans 5:12.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Well, there are the records of Christian conversations, kept by God. See Malachi 3:16.

And then, there are all the books filled with the works of unbelievers (the "dead") recorded as evidence against them to be presented in God's court of Law, on Judgement Day. See Rev. 20:12.

Any not written in the Lamb's Book of Life ("registered in heaven") will suffer eternal judgment in the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:15)

Again, and maybe more clearly, for the purposes of this thread what significance do the books have? You suggested one of the groups was not named in the Lambs Book of Life as if that had significance in this conversation. Does it effect God's foreknowledge somehow?

God, in His foreknowledge of what Adam would do (as well as knowing exactly what Adam's sinful descendents would do), ordained the fate of Adam and all sinners . . .but God did not cause their actions of infidelity and rebellion.

Such actions of unbelief and disobedience to God, is clearly laid to the account of Adam, as federal head and representative of the human race, in Romans 5:12.

So, to "ordain" something has nothing to do with causing it?

Evoken

The OV acknowledges that God certainly could have created only what He knew from start to finish but did not,

Since there was nothing that God did not know before creation (as there was nothing else that was knowable besides himself), then God creating something other than what knew is not possible. Unless you want to say that God does not fully knows and understands himself. Even if you admit that, you would still have the same problem.

while, the SV says that God could not create and give life apart from meticulous controls and exhaustive foreknowledge.

First, something that needs clarification less there is any confusion. I used CT and not SV for a reason. Which is that SV = Calvinism, at least as I have seen it used here, but I am not a Calvinist (see my reply to AMR in this same thread). I used CT because in the context of this discussion I am a Classical Theist. While I agree with most of AMR's beliefs about God, I disagree with several aspects of Calvinism.

That being said, your claim that in CT (I am using CT in place of SV to respond to your claim) God could not create life apart from meticulous controls is incorrect. The reason for this is twofold, first, it seeks to impose necessity on all of the things willed by God, as if he were forced to will everything that he wills either by exterior compulsion or inner necessity. But this is not true, God was free to either create or not the present world. His act of creating did not emerge from some need in him, as an urgency from within to create is incompatible with his absolute being and his own independence and self-sufficiency. Rather, the act of creation emerges from the love of God's own absolute goodness by which he reflects his own perfections in other beings by finite created images. This is the reason why it is said that creatures reflect the glory of God depending on how much they share in his own perfections.

Likewise, God was not forced to create this particular world, rather, he was free to create any possible world. Neither did God own it to himself to create the best possible world, because his own perfections and happiness cannot be increased even by the best possible world, since he is absolutely perfect in every sense, the world he decided to create would has no impact upon his perfections, it does not adds anything to them. God's freedom to create any possible world and not one specific world also emerges from his own omnipotence.

As you can see, the act of creation in the light of CT was totally free and completely altruistic, just as God's love is. God could have created a world that possessed the highest degree of perfection if he so wished, but he didn't and instead created a world were different degrees of perfections can exist. A world of infinite possibilities and potentialities, with an infinite number of contingencies and not one with "meticulous controls" or fixed and rigid rules.

A good thing to keep in mind, which I mentioned in my previous post (the one you replied to), is the distinction that under CT, God's knowledge is the cause of all things. This is in contrast with OT, which has things occurring apart of God's knowledge and has him learning things he didn't know.

Now which really limits God? Could God not create a seed with the potential for producing an infinite number of blossoms and just enjoy watching them grow? Could he not create an environment which could produce an infinite number of snowflakes, not two of which are exactly the same, and simply be content to enjoy the ones that did in fact appear?

The above being said, the answer is yes, God could and did (judging by the world we live in) create such a world. That God already knows that will happen does not means that he does not "enjoys" what happens. In fact, since the creation is a reflection of God's love of his own perfections, then God freely "enjoys" that which exists and reflects his perfections because he loves himself of necessity.

God created an environment that sustains life. That environment will sustain life (at least for a time) whether individuals acknowledge God’s sovereignty or not.

Fair enough, but the real issue is, what sustains the environment? A scientific case could be made that the universe is not self-sustaining and that it needs God to keep it in existence. According to quantum mechanics space-time is discontinuous, things are popping in and out of existence at the planck level. There appears to be no motion, rather, a constant recreation of things that give the appearance of motion. The electron is here, then it is there, and there was nothing in between. This fact is compatible with a God that is the first mover and is absolutely responsible for giving being to all that exists. This rules out the deist god model, which has god setting the universe in motion and letting it run.

And to mankind He gave the freedom and ability to live and think and do in concert with His intentions or not. All that exists owes its existence to God who created and acknowledgment of that truth is the ticket to more life; denial is self destruction and final death.

I don't think we disagree here. Maybe we do, it would depend on what you mean by freedom. But as is, I do not disagree with what you say here.

God grants us the freedom and ability and the help of His Spirit to choose. Until that choice is made, our decision cannot be known or it is not our decision.

What you say in the second sentence is where we disagree. It does not necessarily follows that because God knows everything we will do, that our actions are not free.

First, from our perspective we feel no constrain on our decisions other than the ones the environment and other people put on them. We cannot see all of our future either, so we feel no restrictions on our choices based on an absolute knowledge of the future. So, as far as our perspective is concerned, divine foreknowledge imposes as much necessity upon our actions as our remembrance of the pass imposes on the things that have occurred (to paraphrase St. Augustine). Also, the nature of the divine foreknowledge (i.e. eternal, timeless) in contrast to the time bound nature of our actions is relevant as how God knows and sees the future is not by succession (as we do), but in a manner that is in accord with his own nature. He sees the past, present and future in an eternal now.

Second, divine providence does not imposes necessity on all that is foreseen. God wills some things to happen by necessity and others by contingency, his divine plan includes both contingent and necessary things. Instead of excluding free will, it includes it as part of the divine plan. Divine foreknowledge does not literally means that God set in motion the universe so that it ran a single course without any sort of contingencies along the way, like a VHS tape that runs a single and fixed timeline. Rather, how God foreknows the actions of free moral agents infallibly is by knowing what they will do if put in any given situation or if certain circumstances obtain. Since God is sovereign over his creation, he can provide or not for a given set of circumstances to obtain and infallibly know what would happen wether he provided them or not. He can also premove people or incline them to perform a given action just as he can make a set of events take place that would incline people to do some things, all in accord with his divine plan.

Does God grant others freedom to choose for themselves?

Men are certainly free to choose for themselves. I would argue however, that the ability to sin is not genuine freedom, rather, it is a defect in freedom (for example, God and the angels have free will yet cannot sin). There is no freedom to sin, as sinning is actually a corruption of freedom.

Evo

Nang

TOL Subscriber
So, to "ordain" something has nothing to do with causing it?

Correct.

God ordained that Adam would sin, without being the cause of Adam's sin.

God ordained that Adam and all sinners would live as "vessels of wrath" and suffer death and eternal judgment, without being the cause of their fate.

This is because man was created in the image of God and given the gift of moral agency to (secondarily) cause and effect.

However, that being said, the same does not apply to how men receive the grace of God.

God's forgiveness is NOT a matter of Godly foreknowledge of the workings of men, but indeed was foreordained, according to Godly election, before those who would be saved were born and ever did good or bad.

The ordination of men to everlasting life, was an act of intervention on the part of God, for if left to His legal decree that death would be the wages of sin and the inescapable sentence issued because of sin, all men would have perished.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Correct.

God ordained that Adam would sin, without being the cause of Adam's sin.

Ordain means to decree, enact, or destine, according to my dictionary sitting here.

If I were to program a robot to kill my neighbor, I think the word program would fit the definition of decree and destine. So if I carried that out, would you say I caused my neighbors death, or would you scold my robot? To make it interesting, say I made my robot act really happy about doing the deed?

God ordained that Adam and all sinners would live as "vessels of wrath" and suffer death and eternal judgment, without being the cause of their fate.

This is because man was created in the image of God and given the gift of moral agency to (secondarily) cause and effect.
Basically I'd ask the same question I did above for this.

However, that being said, the same does not apply to how men receive the grace of God.

God's forgiveness is NOT a matter of Godly foreknowledge of the workings of men, but indeed was foreordained, according to Godly election, before those who would be saved were born and ever did good or bad.

I've yet to see how ANYTHING is a matter of the workings of men on the settled view, and I've never seen anyone seperate foreknowledge from foreordination in a logical way. Maybe you could be the first?

The ordination of men to everlasting life, was an act of intervention on the part of God, for if left to His legal decree that death would be the wages of sin and sentence issued because of sin, all men would have perished.

Was Peter right when he said this?
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.​

If so, and if it is the case that God's ordination is the ultimate mechanism of salvation then why has God obviously not ordained all men to reach repentance?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This will not be the detailed post I had first envisioned but I said I would post something and so I will. I really need to put boloney back on my ignore list. The fact that he's the one that brought this up just makes me loath to discuss it. I very much prefer to keep him as ignorant as possible. But for the sake of others who may be reading this thread without participating....

Psalm 139
For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
3 You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.​

The Psalm starts off with a brilliantly eloquent discussion of how well God knows us. God knows us better than we know ourselves. Indeed, God knows us better than we are able to know ourselves but He does so not because He foreknows everything but because He has access to information about us and why we do the things we do that we ourselves do not have. He designed us (as the Psalm will go on to say) and knows us in intimate ways that we cannot imagine. Notice however that David talks about things we are familiar with. He talks about how God knows what we are going to say before we say it. Anyone with a half way decent marriage understands this concept very well. I finish my wifes sentences for her and she mine all the time! It isn't because I foreknew what she was going to say eons before she said it, it just means that I know my wife and she knows me. The things I say, don't surprise her at all and in the same way only more so the same is true of God, the things we say and think and do, do not come as any surprise to God.

An excellent example of this is demonstrated for us when Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Him three times. It wasn't because Jesus peaked into the future and "saw" Peter denying Him, its merely because Jesus knew Peter very well and thus knew that he was not as strong as he pretended to be. Peter could have repented and if he had Jesus would have been astonished (as He had been before) but not devastated or disqualified as God, nor would Peter have ruined the Bible or screwed up God's whole plan of redemption. God and all of heaven would have rejoiced at Peter's repentance and interestingly the story of it in the Bible would have carried pretty much the same lesson for us that it does today, it just would have been ignored by all the Calvinists of the world, that's all.

5 You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.​
God protects His own.
It is important to keep in mind that this Psalms is written from the perspective of one who is God's child. God's enemies have no such protection for it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.​
Knowledge of what? The know of the fact that God places His protective hand upon His beloved? No, I don't think that is it. It seems to me that David here is amazed that he is one of those beloved! It blows his mind that God would have anything to do with him, never mind protect Him by placing His hand upon Him. David knows that he is unlovable and that he deserves God's wrath and that instead God calls him 'friend' and love him dearly. Such concepts are completely bereft of meaning in a world where ever action, every event is predestined by God and where there is no choice, for love is a choice.

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
And Your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
This section is easy.

If we are His, we cannot escape the immediate presence of God, no matter what. Even if we die physically, God is with us. This is, of course, not so for the unbeliever. For them, physical death (the separation of their spirit from their physical body) makes their spiritual death (their spiritual separation from God) permanent.

13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.​
Here David, millennia before its time, discusses with remarkable clarity how it is that God knows him so well and I believe brings up yet another detail of God's relationship with mankind that just boggles David's mind and which happens to apply to both believer and unbeliever alike.

For this section I want to quote something written by Bob Enyart for Battle Royale X but which was edited out in order to reduce the length of the post. His treatment of it is better than I am capable of and the length of it will probably prevent those who don't deserve to know this stuff from reading it in the first place.

Yes, I believe that in His book all my days were written before there was one of them (Ps. 139:16). But the Settled View has the wrong book! Even though David claims this comforting knowledge of himself, we understand that it is true of everyone, the just and the unjust. This book records the days of the unrepentant too. And God is an Author who has written many books. Christians debate whether or not everyone’s name, the saved and the unsaved, appears in the Book of Life of the Lamb Slain. But regardless, David is not speaking of that book. For the Holy Spirit inspired this, not referring to the book that documents your salvation, and not referring to the book that documents your death, but the book that documents your birth.

In verse 16, David is bragging about God’s extraordinary design of the development of the baby in the womb, but those who desperately look for proof-texts to prop up the Greek concept of a Settled future have wrenched this passage out of context, from the third stanza of Psalm 139 which is about the development of the fetus. The embryo goes through the trimesters of development not haphazardly but by direction from God.

The child forms in the womb by God’s intricate plan of fetal development, which we now know He recorded in the written instructions of our DNA, which contains step-by-step, day-by-day directions of the 280 days of gestation, which are the days that the Spirit inspired David to write about. By the context of Psalm 139, the days that are numbered are not the days of your life, but of your development in the womb.

(By the way, God did not originally design human gestation to be 280 days. After Eve sinned, God announced the curse of pain in childbirth, but this was not because He was a sadist, inflicting pain on future mothers. Rather, God cursed Adam and Eve pronouncing merciful consequences. One of these effects increased gestation to nine months. For, “To the woman He said, ‘I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception; in pain you shall bring forth children,’” (Gen. 3:16). Conception is used here as a figure for gestation, which God lengthened so that newborns would remain longer in the womb, growing stronger to survive being born into the hostile environment of the fallen world. God had already commanded them to multiply (Gen. 1:28), so this was not a reference to having more children, which is a blessing, but to a longer gestation, which leads to lower infant mortality rates and greater pain in delivery! I only mention this to illustrate that when we throw off the Greek-influenced OMNIs and IMs, we begin to realize that the Bible makes extraordinarily good sense, and that God is not arbitrary, sadistic, nor capricious, but more wonderfully obviously good and loving than we had realized!)

Even though Psalm 139:16 refers to the length of human gestation, theologians conditioned by Augustine to look for proof-texts of a settled future, so misconstrue this verse that not one Christian in 100 has been taught that the immediate context of this passage is about the development of the baby.

Psalm 139:13: For You formed my inward parts; you covered me in my mother’s womb.

God designed the process by which the baby is formed, protecting the little one (Latin, fetus) with the cover of his mother’s womb.

Psalm 139:14: I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.

David rightly is in awe of the human body, and how “wonderfully” it is “made” in his “mother’s womb.”

Psalm 139:15: My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

David praised God, for even as he developed in the womb, God could see his frame (Hebrew, skeleton, lit., bones) being knit together, “skillfully wrought,” in “my mother’s womb.” By the way, “the lowest parts of the earth” was a common Hebrew expression for “the womb,” as you can see from the reverse use of the idiom in Job 1:21.

Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.

God saw me, who I really am, my substance, my soul-spirit interfaced to my body, all through the extraordinary DNA code which God wrote (which David had no concept of, but which as the author, God knew all about). So, from the moment of conception, “being yet unformed,” that is, just a single cell, in my mother’s womb (but not before conception!), God saw me, and knit me together, and in His book (of His instructions for my awesome development in the womb), all “the days fashioned for me,” that is, all the days which God decreed for the fashioning of a fetus, they were written and set from the very beginning, before a single day’s growth unfolded, even before the first cell divided into two, all 280 days of gestation, from that moment of fertilization!

Sam twice claimed that verse 16 seems clear that God knows “all of the days of our lives.” Let’s eliminate that possibility. Hebrew parallelism, so common in Scripture and especially in the Psalms, is the technique whereby the author repeats the same idea twice, so that we get a deeper understanding of the meaning. Parallelisms are fascinating, and there are nested parallels, and inverted parallels, but the simplest are typical couplets, as exist around the world as a standard structure of poetry (that’s why we have our English word couplet). Read Psalms through and mark the parallelisms and carefully consider them, and by the time you reach Psalm 150, you will have learned more about God than the average church member learns in a lifetime.

Psalm 139:16 is a simple Hebrew parallelism, a couplet. And Hebrew couplets, as in English, typically form a complete thought. (Rhyme however was possibly not as important in Hebrew couplets as in English, for the lines of a Hebrew couplet would “rhyme” in meaning more importantly than in sound.) We know that most chapter and verse divisions were marked by mere men, and so we can argue that some chapters or verses are poorly divided and lead to misunderstanding. But the chapter divisions in Psalms are divinely inspired. And the strong poetical “meter” and parallelism makes the Author’s verse divisions more plain, as we have here.

The two sentences of Psalm 139:16 form a couplet, speaking of the same topic, with each further explaining the other. Thus, “the days fashioned for me,” were not the days of my childhood, or my marriage, for these were the days when only God could see “my substance, being yet unformed.” For He knows what a human being is like, in the most extraordinary detail, at the moment of conception. Praise Him!

From the comprehensive answer I gave to your SLQ2, our readers can now understand what drives us to opposite interpretations here. The Open View is free to accept David’s immediate context of fetology, because it is consistent with the greater context of God’s attributes of Him being relational, good, and loving, and because we are not desperate to find a passage that proves that the day of your death is already settled.

The Settled View outright ignores the immediate context of Ps. 139:16, because it is beholden to the Greek-influenced, quantitative, lesser attributes of immutability and knowledge. And worse, Sam, Calvinists further embrace pagan Greek error by exaggerating power and control (above relationship, goodness and love), and teach that God had recorded the day of Conner Peterson’s death, and so He ordained Scott to an adulterous affair and thoughts of bloodshed, and finally, to murder Laci, all in obedience to God’s eternal, unchangeable decree. Sam, I know you love God, but you’ve read even murder into this delightful verse.

Through Augustine this Greek influence is ubiquitous. Thus the entire Body of Christ has missed out on this passage as providing biblical teaching on God’s loving care, as shown through all three trimesters of the baby’s development. And even worse, millions of believers are apathetic about the abortion holocaust. (I know, and am glad, that D. James Kennedy is not; but he’s unusual.) And so many Christians I’ve talked to in fifteen years of pro-life work (like my Calvinist aunt) tell me they’re not that concerned about abortion, because after all it’s God’s will. And by the way, to those Arminian Settled Viewers out there, please don’t quote Psalm 139:16 to refute Openness, because you’ll be propping up Calvinism; for if you ignore the Greater Context of the pre-eminence of God’s deeper attributes, and also the immediate context of fetology, then the passage smacks of Calvinistic preordination by God “fashioning” all the days of your entire life including even the day of your death!

And some even use this beautiful verse, about how God carefully designed the precious development of the baby in the womb, all nine months worth, to justify a lack of concern for the killing of the baby. After all, God has decreed the day of each death, and that includes abortions. So that means, “you might not like it, but it’s His plan for those babies to be aborted today.” For He wrote that baby’s days in His book, and they just ran out.

So in one of the greatest ironies of theology, the Settled View has turned this verse of God’s plan for the baby’s birth, into a death certificate, effectively sacrificing that little one to a pagan Greek idol.

Pastor Bob Enyart
Denver Bible Church

Thank you Bob for your insights on this awesome passage of Scripture! :thumb:
All possitive rep for the above excerpt should be given Here

17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.

19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.​
This portion of the passage couldn't be more ironically appropriate for consideration in this thread at this time.

David, after having just exclaimed how precious the thoughts of God are to him and how he wakes up in the morning with God on his mind, launches into biting comments concerning his deep hatred for those who are God's enemies. No doubt if David were to have posted this on TOL, AMR would accuse him of being "an angry and petulant young man".

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.​
AMEN!

Of course the Calvinist believes that any such wicked ways would only be in me if He had put them in me and so such a prayer in the mouth of a Calvinist is irrational and blasphemous nonsense. But if one, as Bob pointed out, reads this passage as it was intended, with God's relationship in view over and above his "sovereignty" (I put that in quotes because the Calvinist version of sovereignty is a sick joke), then the prayer is beautiful and deep with passion and meaning.

In short Psalm 139 is about the Creator God who condescends to passionately and intimately love and protect His most precious creation, which He made in His own image and likeness. It is not about predestination, it is not about foreknowledge, it does not mention the book of life and cannot in any way be rightly used as a proof text for a Calvinistic worldview. On the contrary, it is perhaps one of the most powerful expression of both God's love more His children and our love for Him. The passage is about relationship, as are virtually all of the Psalms, a concept which the Calvinist cannot rationally cope.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Ordain means to decree, enact, or destine, according to my dictionary sitting here.

If I were to program a robot to kill my neighbor, I think the word program would fit the definition of decree and destine. So if I carried that out, would you say I caused my neighbors death, or would you scold my robot? To make it interesting, say I made my robot act really happy about doing the deed?

God did not create Adam a robot. Adam was made in the image of God; including being gifted with moral agency to know to obey God and with responsibility to cause and effect in his earthly domain. Adam was created under the Law of God and responsible to obey God and submit his moral agency (will) to the sovereign will of God.

To make a long answer short, man willed to sin. After the fall, man could no longer will to serve or obey God; he became enslaved to serving the devil. Therefore, God knowing that mankind could never willfully choose to obey, sent His Son, whose moral agency (will) was free and untainted by sin, to do for fallen man, what they could not do for themselves.

I've yet to see how ANYTHING is a matter of the workings of men on the settled view, and I've never seen anyone seperate foreknowledge from foreordination in a logical way. Maybe you could be the first?

First, it is not sound theology to deny the responsibility of man towards God. Just because man is fallen, and his moral agency (will) is only inclined to serve sin, death, and the devil, the Law of God has not changed. God still commands all men to believe in His existence in order to live. So even though man cannot obey God, he is still responsible to obey God, and accountable for all his failings to totally do so. That is the dilemma and tragedy of the fall, and the reason God sent the Savior.

Foreknowledge is God knowing exactly all that would happen within His creation, before He created, and foreordination is His ordering and ensuring the end results. Predestination has to do with the fate and destiny of all men that will fulfill God's purposes and good pleasure.

Was Peter right when he said this?
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.​

Yes, Peter was right, but many read Peter wrong. The context of the teaching was Peter giving assurances to Christians. Some believers were beginning to doubt their salvation at the time, because Christ had not made His second return as they had anticipated. Some had assumed Christ would return before they would physically die, but Peter is assuring them that even if He did not return for a thousand years, none would perish in sins, for the Lord's delay was to work salvation for others. (II Peter 3:15)

If so, and if it is the case that God's ordination is the ultimate mechanism of salvation then why has God obviously not ordained all men to reach repentance?

Well, it is not so that God promises everyone, universally, that they will not perish. The Bible is replete with God's commands and warnings that the wages of sin is death, and that it is appointed that judgment follows death.

Peter also warns in this same context: ". .Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures." II Peter 3:15b&16

The clearest teaching of God's will, reasons, and sovereign power over the destiny of all sinners, is found in Romans 9:18-23, revealed to any and all souls who will be given faith to believe God's word.

All believers should learn from Adam's bad example, and simply trust in God's wisdom and His ability to do right, even when we have trouble understanding why things happened as they did. That is what faith is, and if we are truly His, with His Holy Spirit indwelling, we will exhibit faith and rest in God's goodness as well as His justice; declaring, "Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! For He says to Moses, 'I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.' So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy." Romans 9:14-16

Nang

Last edited:

baloney

BANNED
Banned
This the most convoluted, sappiest excuse for a counterargument.

That by some immature note, David was speaking of embryology. The Book is the Book of life mentioned througout the Bible. The psalm says God has are deeds written in it through foreknowledge like the Hebrews believed.

This intuion crap is just that crap. Jesus knew Peter would deny him specifically 3 times.

Philetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philetus
The OV acknowledges that God certainly could have created only what He knew from start to finish but did not,
Evo, Since there was nothing that God did not know before creation (as there was nothing else that was knowable besides himself), then God creating something other than what knew is not possible. Unless you want to say that God does not fully knows and understands himself. Even if you admit that, you would still have the same problem.
I’m not sure I follow this paragraph. Of course God knows himself. And God know his indentations. But to say that God cannot create an environment that sustains life that can reproduce without His knowing with exact precision in exhaustive detail the life that is actually and eventually produced limits the creative potentiality of God. Multiply and replenish is reduced to copulate and I’ll replenish. The whole concept of co-creators/dominion is lost. There is no problem in seeing God as creating significant others and endowing them with freedom (or all of creation with a degree of freedom) to reproduce and act independent of God’s exhaustive foreknowledge. In that sense alone God has much to learn/discover in the future of His own creation. It may be as simple as the numbers of leaves on a particular tree as it grows and interacts with the environment that God has created for sustaining its life or His possible disappointment that it was prematurely cut down to make way for a new Walmart parking lot. These are things that God simply need-not-know before hand to establish His omnipotence or omniscience.
Quote: Philetus
while, the SV says that God could not create and give life apart from meticulous controls and exhaustive foreknowledge.
Evo, First, something that needs clarification less there is any confusion. I used CT and not SV for a reason. Which is that SV = Calvinism, at least as I have seen it used here, but I am not a Calvinist (see my reply to AMR in this same thread). I used CT because in the context of this discussion I am a Classical Theist. While I agree with most of AMR's beliefs about God, I disagree with several aspects of Calvinism.
That’s helpful.
Evo,
That being said, your claim that in CT (I am using CT in place of SV to respond to your claim) God could not create life apart from meticulous controls is incorrect. The reason for this is twofold, first, it seeks to impose necessity on all of the things willed by God, as if he were forced to will everything that he wills either by exterior compulsion or inner necessity. But this is not true, God was free to either create or not the present world. His act of creating did not emerge from some need in him, as an urgency from within to create is incompatible with his absolute being and his own independence and self-sufficiency. Rather, the act of creation emerges from the love of God's own absolute goodness by which he reflects his own perfections in other beings by finite created images. This is the reason why it is said that creatures reflect the glory of God depending on how much they share in his own perfections.

Likewise, God was not forced to create this particular world, rather, he was free to create any possible world. Neither did God own it to himself to create the best possible world, because his own perfections and happiness cannot be increased even by the best possible world, since he is absolutely perfect in every sense, the world he decided to create would has no impact upon his perfections, it does not adds anything to them. God's freedom to create any possible world and not one specific world also emerges from his own omnipotence.

As you can see, the act of creation in the light of CT was totally free and completely altruistic, just as God's love is. God could have created a world that possessed the highest degree of perfection if he so wished, but he didn't and instead created a world were different degrees of perfections can exist. A world of infinite possibilities and potentialities, with an infinite number of contingencies and not one with "meticulous controls" or fixed and rigid rules.

I’m in agreement so far.

Evo, A good thing to keep in mind, which I mentioned in my previous post (the one you replied to), is the distinction that under CT, God's knowledge is the cause of all things. This is in contrast with OT, which has things occurring apart of God's knowledge and has him learning things he didn't know.
That is the point of contention between the two. OT maintains that God can create a beginning, a process that He knows the general directions of but does not know in particular detail the exact actual results. (God can create a flower that can produce seed that will grow into another flower producing blossoms in number that not even God knows until He actually counts them - which holds true except in the case of Tulips that only and always produce exactly 5 petals.:crackup: Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one.) If this holds true then it is not God’s knowledge that is the cause of all future things and actions in creation, but rather God’s intention and creative activity that is the cause of all things existing, and having given them life and the freedom to intend and act on their own within the limitations and boundaries of the kind of sustaining environment He has created, they become the cause of future realities.
If it is true, that God’s knowledge is the cause of ALL things past, present and future then God is the author/cause of sin and the suffering of ALL. That simply doesn’t stack up with your claim that God is love.
Quote: Philetus,
Now which really limits God? Could God not create a seed with the potential for producing an infinite number of blossoms and just enjoy watching them grow? Could he not create an environment which could produce an infinite number of snowflakes, not two of which are exactly the same, and simply be content to enjoy the ones that did in fact appear?
Evo, The above being said, the answer is yes, God could and did (judging by the world we live in) create such a world. That God already knows that will happen does not means that he does not "enjoys" what happens. In fact, since the creation is a reflection of God's love of his own perfections, then God freely "enjoys" that which exists and reflects his perfections because he loves himself of necessity.
I agree that God ‘enjoys’ creation either way. And God loves His creation of volition.
Quote:philetus
God created an environment that sustains life. That environment will sustain life (at least for a time) whether individuals acknowledge God’s sovereignty or not.
Evo, Fair enough, but the real issue is, what sustains the environment? A scientific case could be made that the universe is not self-sustaining and that it needs God to keep it in existence. According to quantum mechanics space-time is discontinuous, things are popping in and out of existence at the planck level. There appears to be no motion, rather, a constant recreation of things that give the appearance of motion. The electron is here, then it is there, and there was nothing in between. This fact is compatible with a God that is the first mover and is absolutely responsible for giving being to all that exists. This rules out the deist god model, which has god setting the universe in motion and letting it run.
God’s design sustains the environment. God’s continual involvement with His creations is not in making one electron jump from here to there (as if pinpointing the exact position of an arrow in flight has anything to do with living life). That is simply built into the universe that God has made and lies beyond our ability to observe and measure with precision. And what I’m describing is not the deist god. God’s continual involvement is not that of a watch-winder either. God’s continual involvement is in His interaction with persons as Person - even to the extent that God became ‘Person’ in the flesh. How different than suggesting that the watch-maker-winder became a cog or spring in his own watch.
And to mankind He gave the freedom and ability to live and think and do in concert with His intentions or not. All that exists owes its existence to God who created and acknowledgment of that truth is the ticket to more life; denial is self destruction and final death.
Evo,
I don't think we disagree here. Maybe we do, it would depend on what you mean by freedom. But as is, I do not disagree with what you say here.
God grants us the freedom and ability and the help of His Spirit to choose. Until that choice is made, our decision cannot be known or it is not our decision.
Evo, What you say in the second sentence is where we disagree. It does not necessarily follows that because God knows everything we will do, that our actions are not free.
First, from our perspective we feel no constrain on our decisions other than the ones the environment and other people put on them. We cannot see all of our future either, so we feel no restrictions on our choices based on an absolute knowledge of the future. So, as far as our perspective is concerned, divine foreknowledge imposes as much necessity upon our actions as our remembrance of the pass imposes on the things that have occurred (to paraphrase St. Augustine). Also, the nature of the divine foreknowledge (i.e. eternal, timeless) in contrast to the time bound nature of our actions is relevant as how God knows and sees the future is not by succession (as we do), but in a manner that is in accord with his own nature. He sees the past, present and future in an eternal now.

Second, divine providence does not imposes necessity on all that is foreseen. God wills some things to happen by necessity and others by contingency, his divine plan includes both contingent and necessary things. Instead of excluding free will, it includes it as part of the divine plan. Divine foreknowledge does not literally means that God set in motion the universe so that it ran a single course without any sort of contingencies along the way, like a VHS tape that runs a single and fixed timeline. Rather, how God foreknows the actions of free moral agents infallibly is by knowing what they will do if put in any given situation or if certain circumstances obtain. Since God is sovereign over his creation, he can provide or not for a given set of circumstances to obtain and infallibly know what would happen wether he provided them or not. He can also premove people or incline them to perform a given action just as he can make a set of events take place that would incline people to do some things, all in accord with his divine plan.

I can understand your position here. I’m familiar with both arguments. I do disagree. I simply do not see how or why it is necessary or helpful or biblical to preserve God’s foreknowledge in order to preserve His divine attributes.
The issue is really at the point of freedom and interaction/relationship. If God knows before hand … when did I make the decision? The problem for the OV is in having to manufacture a reasonable argument for God being outside of time. It hasn’t been made. And secondly, what contingencies can possibly exist in an eternal now? What freedom? What kind of relationship can be lives in an instant? In an eternal now how does one express love in action as well as in word? How long does it take to die on a cross in an eternal instant? How is patience with sinners that leads to their repentance expressed in an eternal moment?
Quote:
Men are certainly free to choose for themselves. I would argue however, that the ability to sin is not genuine freedom, rather, it is a defect in freedom (for example, God and the angels have free will yet cannot sin). There is no freedom to sin, as sinning is actually a corruption of freedom.
Evo

There is the double talk that always troubles me from your above argument. Freedom isn’t freedom. Choosing whom to serve isn’t freedom? Choosing to live in harmony with the creator and His creation in faith, hope and love instead of warring against either isn’t freedom? I think it is.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This the most convoluted, sappiest excuse for a counterargument.

That by some immature note, David was speaking of embryology. The Book is the Book of life mentioned througout the Bible. The psalm says God has are deeds written in it through foreknowledge like the Hebrews believed.

This intuion crap is just that crap. Jesus knew Peter would deny him specifically 3 times.

Nice refutation. :rolleyes:

baloney

BANNED
Banned
It's all that needed. Do you think somebody reading those passages are going to listen to that convoluted nonsense or read it in terms of what it actually says; that God is all knowing. That the Book refers to the book of life. That the passages for an all knowing God and Book of life are taken right from Daniel.

Your whole pathetic statement reads as a liar trying to weasel his way out of taking responsibility for something.

Evoken

It's all that needed. Do you think somebody reading those passages are going to listen to that convoluted nonsense or read it in terms of what it actually says; that God is all knowing. That the Book refers to the book of life. That the passages for an all knowing God and Book of life are taken right from Daniel.

Your whole pathetic statement reads as a liar trying to weasel his way out of taking responsibility for something.

I am do not agree with Clete or OT, in fact, I am on your side. However, I believe that it is disrespectful to dismiss any substantive post with vitriol as you have just done to Clete's post.

At least have the courtesy to give the effort put into that post a proper treatment.

Evo

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Evo, I respect your opinion. But until Clete starts respecting other people here then why shouldn't just writeoff his remarks?

Look how he started his "substantial post" by hacking me.

I don't know why I have to write a huge substantial post to refute this. It's been absurd from the beginning.

Jewish scholars and scholars of Hebrew history all agree that the hebrews believe that God is omniscient.

Nang and others will aree. Clete is ignorant and talks down to people here without any reprehension.

SaulToPaul 2

Hello...I was pondering the OV, when I ran across the book of Ruth.

Does the story of Ruth gleaning from Boaz' field present any problems for OV?
I know Ruth just "happened" to come upon his field, but in the context of the book of Ruth it seems like perhaps God desired or God knew that she would choose Boaz' field...it was important that she did choose his field. Any thoughts?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.