ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

I really hope this was sarcasm.

God does not exhaustively know the future.

There are aspects of the future (some of which are now the past) which God determined in advance to bring about unilaterally, those aspects He foreknows.

Yes, of course it was teasing. I could think of worse things to be accused of though :D.

at any rate, see the above statement...the one just over this one. Right now I'm just trying to take it a step at a time. Right now, just any conscession on actual foreknowledge as actually 'knowing' would be a real movement. We can discuss 'exhaustive' later.

Thanks

In Him

Lonnie

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The issue is does the Bible reveal God as timeless and foreknowing of all future events without having to be the cause of all of them. Along with that I have decided to include does the Bible reveal God to be present in all events as well. So I thought it would be good to start with the Book of Genesis and look at certain texts throught the open view (OV), the closed view (CV), and the closed view/free will (CVF) and compare the them to see which view the text supports. Its seems most of us understand and agree on the differences between the three views.

1. The Creation account shows time in God; He existed before he created the world, He performs a sequence of events, the creation is finished and is in God's past.

2. Every event up to the flood looks clearly OV to me.

3. God is "grieved", "repentant", and "angry", and then wipes out his creation and all mankind except Noah and family. And according to CV this ia all predetermined and according to CVF this is all known before the world was created just not predetermined. I go with not predetermined nor foreknown as the only way to look at these passages without reading anything into them.

Posted by Lonster
You can't take an apple out and say 'this is not a pear.' I mean you can, but it doesn't prove that there are no pears. Here is a verse that you believe teaches limited foreknowledge, but it is suggestive, not theological. It is deductive, not inductive.

These verses are "instructive" not "suggestive" concerning God's nature and character. Scripture forms OV theology, and if these scriptures do not form your theology, what pray tell, does?

Posted by Lonster
I know of no theological position that would suggest God isn't emotionally involved with His people, and grief is what we see here. In fact, even when we see repent, or relent, it is most often translated from this same word for grief. This doesn't deny exhaustive foreknowledge, nor simple foreknowledge. Have you ever watched a movie over again? I have, my wife has. She still cries at exactly the same spots. Interesting. The mere fact that we watch things over again after we've already seen them gives us a basal understanding of how God could be emotionally involved in our plight. So I'm seeing more of a discussion concerning God's relational ability in this text, which is indeed a point of discussion between us, but I'm not catching your drift concerning foreknowledge.

That's funny, I see God's nature and character, and not merely his "relational ability". And as far as the destruction of the world, in the CV and CVF, God watches it over, and over, and over.....in the OV God saw it only once. I hope you will eventually "catch my drift", I'll slow down and go over this again if you need me to.

Posted by Lonster
Going along the same train of thought: Did God literally remember here?

Gen 8:1 And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle which were with him in the ark.

To remember simply means to direct ones thoughts back on something else. Here the Bible reveals to us the way God thinks, if this is not the case then where do we go to find out how he really thinks? Can you tell me?

Posted by Lonster
If not what do we make of it? Do we understand this the same way God tells Abraham "Now I know your heart...?"

Yep, God tested Abraham so he could find something out that he didn't foreknow foresure, if this is not the case then please tell me why he tested him?

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He will bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.

This is a prophecy concerning Christ future, certainly He causes this, but your question is from an OV perspective. Does anything happen without His involvement? Some would say your question was too narrowly confining and that we'd not be able to find anything that "that He, Himself, simply did not cause."

Well, if they concluded that, then, they would not have correctly read what I have said. Which is the way they read their Bible, if you catch my drift.

On to Tower of Babel and Abraham tomorrow.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
That is what I thought you ment. That is a RCC myth.

There is but one God He is His word. He is his Spirit. He is His purpose. He is by His nature God. The Sod of God was born in the flesh like unto a man 2000 years ago. He is the only begotten Son of God in the flesh. He was crucified, He was buried and He was raised from the dead by the power of the Father. He was given a name which is above every name. That ever knee shall bow which is in heaven and on the earth and who is under the earth. He is the word incarnate. He is not God the Father but the Son of His seed. Born without sin. Se could not, would not and did not sin. I am as He is as are all God's children. As He is so am I in this world, TODAY.

The Holy Spirit is that Spirit that is born in a man by the seed of God the Father. It is the seal of righteousness to all who believe. The very new birth, the born again experience that you so vehemently say does not exist. You are a creature of books and a religious system and you know nothing about salvation except what you have read. You have no credibility.

Well, now I am confused. Who else holds to your beliefs? Tell me you are not like elohyim?

Are you a modalist?

Is Jesus Christ Almighty God? Is He a mere created being? He is just a man?

I assume you will say He is God, yet you also talk about the Father, which would lead to trinity (unless you are 'oneness').

:help: :dizzy:

As I have said before, I affirm the new birth, regeneration by the Holy Spirit, being born again/from above/anew. It is a supernatural work of the Spirit.

We won't bring up metaphors until you go back to grade school and learn basic grammar and figures of speech.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That is right. You were created finite. A dead, sinful, fleshly person. If you are still that you are in trouble.

You still have not answered the question. Are you afraid to say that finite beings cannot perform future activity because then you would become OV, or are you afraid to say that finite beings can perform future activity and look stupid for stating something so obviously contradictory. Regardless of the reason your still a wimp.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by DFT_Dave
But we are not eternal, and we are not outside of time, and therefore we cannot perform future activity for God to see. Am I right or wrong here? Did God create me finite or not? Are you already doing something next Saturday, does it already exist?

Until we measure something, we cannot know it's length. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending one's pov), we do not know how long something is until we measure it. We use increments to measure all things. We in a sense, invented measurements. They are superficial for standard merely. Certainly everything thing has a definte measure, but the kicker is, God knows everything. So in the same way he knows the length of a 2X4 before it is measured, He knows the length of our days. This is scriptural, it is foreknowledge.

He determines the number of our days, but not before he created the world. I see two fallacies here but I'm too tired and its too late in NYC for me to show you. A simple dumb response to my question is no different then a dumb complicated one.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dave, this is not even impossible from a human point of view to see. If I was traveling at the speed of light, I could watch all your life decisions and watch you grow old as I remain only a few minutes old.

I'm not saying god travels at the speed of light, but its not hard to understand God having omniscience.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and I were not, you would not see me at all. God as you define him does not travel at all, he is immovable, remember? I am the one moving and I can only move from one moment to the next, your analogy, if we can call it that, sucks. I'm glad you participate, at times I sense, if possible here, your sincerity. I pray you will learn and grow as the outcome.

Philetus

Let me try just gnosis for a moment. It means to know with great emphasis on completely. It has a very encompassing tenure "God knows everything that is knowable." So I do not see this as a problem with the knowing part. OV gets this part right. However, when you put the prefix pro- 'beforehand' it should ring as true. To know very fully beforehand. You are still addressing foreknowledge as if we also have it. We don't. Prognosis for us, isn't a perfect analysis, the patient might live. With God, His prognosis is sure.

Let me go back to your chess game for a moment (no, I don't like it, but it is a frequent analogy that is brought up and I believe this aspect will get by scrutiny).

As God foreknows all, He doesn't have to apply Himself very hard. He could almost go through the motions, letting the opponent make whatever move without forcing because in the end, He accomplishes His purposes. He doesn't have to be as involved because He is working a pattern that is effective against the other strategy every time.

As God doesn't know all, and is really put to the test by new moves He's never seen before, He has to intervene intensily to win. There is an actual challenge that He might lose. What a lack of omniscience brings to the table is not infallibility.
Competence is a rooting word for cheerleading in hope. It doesn't have confidence.

Omnipotence is a structural founding word of infallibility.
So a chessmaster is a chessmaster specifically because He has seen it all (All knowing). While a chessmaster is not omniscient, he is closer to the truth of the matter: God supercedes the chessmaster, knows all contingencies, therefore He is never taken by surprise. "There is nothing new under the sun." Foreknowledge means 'knows.'

BUT you didn't TRY just gnosis ... you keep putting a tag on it ... complete and complete in your view includes 'moves' that haven't been made yet either by God or you.

You still maintain that the future exist for God to see and therefore know ... it doesn't! Competence is not cheerleading in hope nor is it a lack of omniscience. God's omni-competence is what gives us every reason to believe/have confidence (know by faith) that God will not be defeated. God will accomplish His purposes (win the game) whether you move your rook to Q-4 or your pawn to K-5 or your TOL Knight to KBG666, not because he knows which move you will make, but because God is OMNI-competent. God doesn't know your next move until you make it. God 'plays' the perfect game precisely because He can. We can't. What God KNOWS BEFORE is every possible move you MIGHT make and every move He WILL make in response to your actual moves. Until you move it ain't knowledge. Not knowing something that isn't knowable is not limiting God's omniscience in the least. Claiming 'complete' knowledge of the unknowable is an exaggeration even if it is attributed to God.

(I really don't like the chess analogy either, but it gets at it, so if my numbers are a little off its because I much prefer GO to chess.:) )

The question is not: What did God know and when did He know it?
(That question has been woefully imposed upon the Christian faith far too long!)
The question is simply: What is knowable and when is it known?

Lon

The issue is does the Bible reveal God as timeless and foreknowing of all future events without having to be the cause of all of them. Along with that I have decided to include does the Bible reveal God to be present in all events as well. So I thought it would be good to start with the Book of Genesis and look at certain texts throught the open view (OV), the closed view (CV), and the closed view/free will (CVF) and compare the them to see which view the text supports. Its seems most of us understand and agree on the differences between the three views.

1. The Creation account shows time in God; He existed before he created the world, He performs a sequence of events, the creation is finished and is in God's past.

2. Every event up to the flood looks clearly OV to me.

3. God is "grieved", "repentant", and "angry", and then wipes out his creation and all mankind except Noah and family. And according to CV this ia all predetermined and according to CVF this is all known before the world was created just not predetermined. I go with not predetermined nor foreknown as the only way to look at these passages without reading anything into them.

I do this too, but clearly our logic and meaning are opposed.
Posted by Lonster
You can't take an apple out and say 'this is not a pear.' I mean you can, but it doesn't prove that there are no pears. Here is a verse that you believe teaches limited foreknowledge, but it is suggestive, not theological. It is deductive, not inductive.

These verses are "instructive" not "suggestive" concerning God's nature and character. Scripture forms OV theology, and if these scriptures do not form your theology, what pray tell, does?
Sorry, training in exegesis probably here. We take straight doctrine from doctrinal passage. In Historical passages we find treatise in doctrine, but they are written more to teach a truth in historical context. I agree we get doctrine from such, like an example or case study, but we have to be more careful to check and recheck our work.
Posted by Lonster
I know of no theological position that would suggest God isn't emotionally involved with His people, and grief is what we see here. In fact, even when we see repent, or relent, it is most often translated from this same word for grief. This doesn't deny exhaustive foreknowledge, nor simple foreknowledge. Have you ever watched a movie over again? I have, my wife has. She still cries at exactly the same spots. Interesting. The mere fact that we watch things over again after we've already seen them gives us a basal understanding of how God could be emotionally involved in our plight. So I'm seeing more of a discussion concerning God's relational ability in this text, which is indeed a point of discussion between us, but I'm not catching your drift concerning foreknowledge.

That's funny, I see God's nature and character, and not merely his "relational ability". And as far as the destruction of the world, in the CV and CVF, God watches it over, and over, and over.....in the OV God saw it only once. I hope you will eventually "catch my drift", I'll slow down and go over this again if you need me to.
Dave, you are you and not other OVer's here, but please indulge the linguistics. All I have to work with is what I have been given, and I try to state what I have been given without bias, but I'm not OV. The very thing you said 'funny' about is almost verbatim what I've been told in here.
Posted by Lonster
Going along the same train of thought: Did God literally remember here?

Gen 8:1 And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle which were with him in the ark.

To remember simply means to direct ones thoughts back on something else. Here the Bible reveals to us the way God thinks, if this is not the case then where do we go to find out how he really thinks? Can you tell me?
"to have (something) come into the mind again" Otherwise it is just bringing a thought to forefront. There is a difference. Even you agree that God knows all. My point is that we understand this figuratively, God doesn't forget but our sins through Christ, and even that we must examine for understanding.
Posted by Lonster
If not what do we make of it? Do we understand this the same way God tells Abraham "Now I know your heart...?"

Yep, God tested Abraham so he could find something out that he didn't foreknow foresure, if this is not the case then please tell me why he tested him?
So why couldn't this be the same? I'd hope you would appreciate a sense of our position here. We see that tests are for us. They reveal what we are made of, what we know, what we believe and live according to. If God knows our thoughts before we speak it, and He know our hearts (and He does) , this is a mute point.
Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He will bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.

This is a prophecy concerning Christ future, certainly He causes this, but your question is from an OV perspective. Does anything happen without His involvement? Some would say your question was too narrowly confining and that we'd not be able to find anything that "that He, Himself, simply did not cause."

Well, if they concluded that, then, they would not have correctly read what I have said. Which is the way they read their Bible, if you catch my drift.
Yes, I think I do.
On to Tower of Babel and Abraham tomorrow.

Lon

Originally Posted by DFT_Dave
But we are not eternal, and we are not outside of time, and therefore we cannot perform future activity for God to see. Am I right or wrong here? Did God create me finite or not? Are you already doing something next Saturday, does it already exist?

He determines the number of our days, but not before he created the world. I see two fallacies here but I'm too tired and its too late in NYC for me to show you. A simple dumb response to my question is no different then a dumb complicated one.

Then don't address it. Let it go if it is dumb to you. I was trying to tell you our understanding of measurement is within a superficial framework. God measures more exactly than we. But in the same way you might say God has to use a ruler, the argument I'm hearing is that God has to go through our same incremental steps of duration, and I cannot agree. He is both here with us now, and seated in Heaven. He already supercedes our increments. It would take us hundreds of years just to fly out of our galaxy. It takes almost 5 minutes just to get a signal from Mars. God already supercedes our movement in time. We live in an accelerated pace. We don't spend as much time as our forbearers gathering food, preparing it, traveling, etc. We travel faster. We arrive sooner. For us it is unidirectional. When Jesus told the Pharisees "Before Abraham was, I was. He says I AM. What is very important here is that it was bad grammar unless you were claiming God's name, and unless you really didn't exist in the past in a present state somehow. The Arian's miss the first, but the second is important as well.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes, of course it was teasing. I could think of worse things to be accused of though :D.

at any rate, see the above statement...the one just over this one. Right now I'm just trying to take it a step at a time. Right now, just any conscession on actual foreknowledge as actually 'knowing' would be a real movement. We can discuss 'exhaustive' later.

Thanks

In Him

Lonnie

I readily concede that the things which God foreknows, He really does know in advance.

:thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Until we measure something, we cannot know it's length. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending one's pov), we do not know how long something is until we measure it. We use increments to measure all things. We in a sense, invented measurements. They are superficial for standard merely. Certainly everything thing has a definte measure, but the kicker is, God knows everything. So in the same way he knows the length of a 2X4 before it is measured, He knows the length of our days. This is scriptural, it is foreknowledge.

How is this Scriptural?

"How long is a piece of string (or 2x4)?" is a very famous way of answering an unanswerable question and has been for centuries.

What makes you think that God would know the length of some specific piece of string without measuring it? I mean, I know that God would not need to get a ruler out and spend a few moments figuring it out, He could easily "eye ball" it and get it exactly right but even "eye-balling" it is a form of measuring and where does it say that God wouldn't even have to do that? Where does it say that God would even care to know such a trivial piece of minutia unless it for some reason become pertinent to something He was actively engaged in like planning the design of Noah's Ark or something like that?

The idea that God is presently aware of every minute detail of all of existence is simply not Biblical. It is a pagan idea that God knows the number of sheets of toilet paper that Sheryl Crow will use today, or how many photons of light have passed one inch to the left of your head over the last 5 years. God simply does not keep track of the answers to every conceivable trivia question and nothing in the Bible suggests otherwise. God knows what He wants/needs to know of that which is knowable and nothing more.

Why is such an idea so repulsive? Why insist that God must be a know-it-all? What's the big deal?

Resting in Him,
Clete

elected4ever

You still have not answered the question. Are you afraid to say that finite beings cannot perform future activity because then you would become OV, or are you afraid to say that finite beings can perform future activity and look stupid for stating something so obviously contradictory. Regardless of the reason your still a wimp.
There is no need to state the obvious but I refuse to pass judgment on the infinite using the limitation of the finite as an imposed pattern of ability. Why should I make God like us when His plan is to make us like Him?

SaulToPaul 2

According to the Open View, did God know that his Son would be crucified when he sent him into the world, or was that simply God's intention of what he wanted to happen?

1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you...

themuzicman

No.. God knew it would happen through knowing all the possible courses of the future, and what decisions on His part (Father, Son and HS) would bring that about.

Muz

elected4ever

No.. God knew it would happen through knowing all the possible courses of the future, and what decisions on His part (Father, Son and HS) would bring that about.

Muz

:kookoo: That denies the obvious rendering of the text. That is your unjustified attempt to explain away the truth so that your supposed God can fit your mold.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
According to the Open View, did God know that his Son would be crucified when he sent him into the world, or was that simply God's intention of what he wanted to happen?

1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you...

God knew that Jesus would be killed but there was no absolute requirement for Christ to die ON THE CROSS. Have you ever wondered what would have happened had Israel repented and believed that Jesus was who He claimed to be? There are several options. The Romans most likely would have crucified Him for having been set up as the King of the Jews but even if that hadn't happened the Jews themselves could have ceremonially killed Jesus right on the alter during an ultimate observance of their Passover. The Scripture would still have been fulfilled, just in another way.

Resting in Him,
Clete

SaulToPaul 2

God knew that Jesus would be killed but there was no absolute requirement for Christ to die ON THE CROSS. Have you ever wondered what would have happened had Israel repented and believed that Jesus was who He claimed to be? There are several options. The Romans most likely would have crucified Him for having been set up as the King of the Jews but even if that hadn't happened the Jews themselves could have ceremonially killed Jesus right on the alter during an ultimate observance of their Passover. The Scripture would still have been fulfilled, just in another way.

Resting in Him,
Clete

It was prophesied that it would be a joint-effort of the kings of the earth (Rome)
and the rulers (rulers of the Jews)

Psalm 2

1: Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2: The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3: Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
4: He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

How does this fit in to the Open View?

thanks

elected4ever

God knew that Jesus would be killed but there was no absolute requirement for Christ to die ON THE CROSS.

Resting in Him,
Clete
A lie straight from the pits of Hell. Your willingness to entertain such bunk make me wonder about your voracity an your judgment in general.

Lon

How is this Scriptural?

"How long is a piece of string (or 2x4)?" is a very famous way of answering an unanswerable question and has been for centuries.
Very true.
What makes you think that God would know the length of some specific piece of string without measuring it? I mean, I know that God would not need to get a ruler out and spend a few moments figuring it out, He could easily "eye ball" it and get it exactly right but even "eye-balling" it is a form of measuring and where does it say that God wouldn't even have to do that? Where does it say that God would even care to know such a trivial piece of minutia unless it for some reason become pertinent to something He was actively engaged in like planning the design of Noah's Ark or something like that?
My point wasn't that He wouldn't measure (but it is a very good question). It is interesting that He knows the numbers of hair on my head this morning, and your's, and the guy down the block. It is mind boggling. I was more trying to point out that His measure would be different, but this brings an intriguing question to the table to be sure. We both have unique perspectives in viewing the perplexity.
The idea that God is presently aware of every minute detail of all of existence is simply not Biblical. It is a pagan idea that God knows the number of sheets of toilet paper that Sheryl Crow will use today, or how many photons of light have passed one inch to the left of your head over the last 5 years. God simply does not keep track of the answers to every conceivable trivia question and nothing in the Bible suggests otherwise. God knows what He wants/needs to know of that which is knowable and nothing more.
Pagan? as knowing the numbers of hairs on your head?
Why is such an idea so repulsive? Why insist that God must be a know-it-all? What's the big deal?
Firsts off, 'know-it-all' has a totally different connotation than 'knowing all.' Huge difference. 2nd, David tells us God knows all. Many scriptures support this concept. You yourself have said God knows 'ALL' that is knowable. Granted there seems to be an even wider berth today between our perspectives concerning this.
Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.