ARCHIVE: Burden of Proof

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Apologist said:
The Theists have satisfied the burden of proofs over 4 thousand years over (Starting with Aristotle.) It is the Atheists who have the burden of proof when attacking that which has been used to support the original premise, theism.

I am pretty sure they have attacked every argument ever put forward. Whether you agree with them is besides the point. The point being when starting a debate, where does the burden reside. In almost all cases outside of discussing God it is with the existence claim. Some theists feel otherwise when God is brought into the equation...

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
Why would the burden be more on the theist than the atheist?

After all the atheist asserts that matter and energy created themselves from nothing, which is something that clearly flies in the face of science.

The atheist asserts no such thing. Some individuals might and then it is contingent upon them to argue their case...

Apologist

BANNED
Banned
Spenser 2 said:
I am pretty sure they have attacked every argument ever put forward. Whether you agree with them is besides the point. The point being when starting a debate, where does the burden reside. In almost all cases outside of discussing God it is with the existence claim. Some theists feel otherwise when God is brought into the equation...

Well, in any argument of the sort, what it generally comes down to is First Cause as opposed to Infinate Regression.

Is infinate regression impossible? I would presume.

Do atheists? Apparently not.

But if you use occam's razor, First Cause requires less assumption than infinate regression; therefore the burden of proof lies upon Atheists (Infinate regression).

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Why would the burden be more on the theist than the atheist?

After all the atheist asserts that matter and energy created themselves from nothing, which is something that clearly flies in the face of science.
Atheism posits no such thing.

Caledvwlch

Frank Ernest said:
Once you see it, belief is no longer at issue.

Belief in basic principles, yes. Entrenched unbelief would exclude any argument to the contrary, no matter how compelling.
Entrenched unbelief? I like that.

fool

Hall of Fame
Apologist said:
Well, in any argument of the sort, what it generally comes down to is First Cause as opposed to Infinate Regression.

Is infinate regression impossible? I would presume.

Do atheists? Apparently not.

But if you use occam's razor, First Cause requires less assumption than infinate regression; therefore the burden of proof lies upon Atheists (Infinate regression).
An Atheist bears no burden to even answer the question.
An Atheist can simply say they don't know (which in addition to being an unassailable position may also be the truth)

SUTG

Spenser 2 said:
The atheist asserts no such thing. Some individuals might and then it is contingent upon them to argue their case...

Exactly.

Oh, and Apologist; Aristotle wasn't 4000 years ago.

Caledvwlch

Apologist said:
The Theists have satisfied the burden of proofs over 4 thousand years over (Starting with Aristotle.) It is the Atheists who have the burden of proof when attacking that which has been used to support the original premise, theism.
4 thousand years starting with Aristotle? Um... Are you from the future, or something? I may not remember my Greek philosopher birthdays just perfectly, but I don't think he's quite that old.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
That is why I said "to provide compelling reasons or arguments for" instead of proof. Look at the other example I gave where Allsmiles claimed that it was not the case that Spenser was wearing a black shirt right now. Would you believe Allsmiles' claim?
No, I wouldn't. And now would allsmiles go about proving that?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Did the universe always exist?

Did the universe create itself?

Was there a supernatural cause?

These are the only options I know of. Any others?

Apologist

BANNED
Banned
fool said:
An Atheist bears no burden to even answer the question.
An Atheist can simply say they don't know (which in addition to being an unassailable position may also be the truth)

Which would force the Atheist to Agnosticism. :thumb:

Apologist

BANNED
Banned
Caledvwlch said:
4 thousand years starting with Aristotle? Um... Are you from the future, or something? I may not remember my Greek philosopher birthdays just perfectly, but I don't think he's quite that old.

A) I could be wrong
B) You get my point.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
Sure, I wonder about it all the time.
OK, so forget about you for a second. What do you think is the standard or accepted theory of the creation of matter and energy from the atheist or the non-supernatural materialistic mind-set?