Any divorced people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jill324

Hello. I'm new at this and not even sure if this will post. Just wondering if we have any divorcees here and how they feel. I struggle with it. I was married in the Catholic church - guess that doesn't matter. I took a vow. I broke my vow. It makes me sick. I just want to know God still has a place for me in Heaven.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hello. I'm new at this and not even sure if this will post. Just wondering if we have any divorcees here and how they feel. I struggle with it. I was married in the Catholic church - guess that doesn't matter. I took a vow. I broke my vow. It makes me sick. I just want to know God still has a place for me in Heaven.
There was a woman dragged before Christ once who had done something that, after her encounter, probably struck her the same way. What was it Christ said to her?

So there you are. A place in heaven? Surely, and one among the willfully imperfect who walk the earth, grateful that through grace and by Christ's purchase we, none of us, will get what we deserve. Endeavor to please God, but never confuse yourself with Him.

Welcome. :e4e:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
God has a place in heaven for all who believe and confess, even when we screw up big time. Isn't Jesus forgiveness of our sins truly awesome?! But i I may, I would like to suggest careful and prayerful study and consideration of the NT regarding divorce before you consider remarrying (If such is in your future).

Cracked

God has a place in heaven for all who believe and confess, even when we screw up big time. Isn't Jesus forgiveness of our sins truly awesome?! But i I may, I would like to suggest careful and prayerful study and consideration of the NT regarding divorce before you consider remarrying (If such is in your future).

I agree with this.

keypurr

Welcome to TOL.
We all sin so your in good company.
We're all trying to find out what we can do to find God for our lives.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

Paul called himself the chief of all sinners...and yet he was an apostle.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New King James Version)
9 That which has been is what will be,
That which is done is what will be done,
And there is nothing new under the sun.

Think about that one for a moment. There's literally no sin you could commit that hasn't already been committed by countless others before you.

Romans 5:8 (New King James Version)
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

While we were still sinners, it says. So we can know Christ was fully aware of all the sin we're capable of when He died for us. You can't surprise Him with your sin.

John 10:28-29 (New King James Version)
28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

Trust God. He's got this one covered. He's very reliable like that. ;)

John 3:16 (New King James Version)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

"Whoever". No other condition applied there.

The only sin you can't be forgiven of is refusing to be forgiven. That's it.

lucy

I agree with what the others have said so far.. I am also divorced and it makes me feel sick, too. I struggled for a long time before I divorced my ex, because like you, my denomination really frowns upon divorce. But even though I had Biblical grounds for the divorce, (i.e. unfaithfulness), it really crushed me to have to say, "He isn't going to give this up" and leave. I felt like a total failure as a woman. BUT, God is good, and divorce is NOT the unpardonable sin!

I John tells us, if we confess our sins, He (God) is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins.

Sounds to me like you want to turn away from sin and back to God. He will accept you!

Lucy

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I'm still troubled about the divorced preaching at the pulpit. Some say as long as their not remarried, they can preach at the pulpit. I'm lost at a friend doing this: born-again->married->divorced->remarried->affair(discontinued)->teaching Sunday school. I've heard teaching Sunday School are permittable with divorces but not consult deacons and elders.

lucy

I'm still troubled about the divorced preaching at the pulpit. Some say as long as their not remarried, they can preach at the pulpit. I'm lost at a friend doing this: born-again->married->divorced->remarried->affair(discontinued)->teaching Sunday school. I've heard teaching Sunday School are permittable with divorces but not consult deacons and elders.

Sounds like he or she is a rather immature person and lacks commitment. Just those characteristics alone might make someone think twice about allowing him/her to teach others. If you are not walking after the Spirit and you are letting your flesh dominate you, how are you going to teach others what life in Christ is all about?

Last edited:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

I don't expect church leaders to be sinless, else we'd have none. But I expect they'd hold a higher standard. I think 1 Timothy 3 clearly supports that notion. Your friend should have the grace to recognize that he's setting an example as Sunday School teacher and step aside.

Heck, I've flown pretty darned straight since I got saved but with my history, even before that, (and my tattoos) you won't catch me teaching Sunday School. I'd love to and I think I'd be great at it. But ain't gonna happen.

You know what I do instead? I organized a group of recovering homosexuals in my community, under my church's banner no less. I helped repair the church after Katrina, waded in there and put my butchy tomboyishness (and my tools) to good use. I lug the boxes of food out of the truck for the little old ladies we deliver to on weekends. Heck, I serve as a living witness to all kinds of different things. You have no idea how many times I've heard, from over my shoulder somewhere, "Have you met, Mary...? Here she is. Mary, tell us about..."

Okay, that last one's a major pain in the butt. But what are you gonna do?

I, me, myself, would accomplish less as a Sunday School teacher. Why would I ever do that? I leave that to someone who can accomplish something with it.

I think I'd be justified in wondering why exactly your friend is teaching Sunday School. It doesn't seem to be with anyone else's benefit in mind. If that was their concern, they'd be doing something else.

1 Corinthians 12:20-26 (New King James Version)
20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Sounds like he or she is a rather immature person and lacks commitment. Just those characteristics alone might make someone think twice about allowing him/her to teach others. If you are not walking after the Spirit and you are letting your flesh dominate you, how are you going to teach others what life in Christ is all about?
This guy is my brother in law. I think I understood that his first wife didn't like the country and he didn't like the city so they might have spit cause of that. He's a Southern Baptist and I believe SB are loose on their theologies regarding to who can preach or not. He was ordained as a minister and probably filled in an empty absent pastor position for a little while. My sister boasts of his qualifications and he certainly is a nice guy on the surface in my view. I think he teaches a class on Grace and looks like he has mixed ages in his class. He did have an affair and said he had a one night sexual event. He repented, probably, in front of a few deacons, elders and few friends. It was a public tearful repentance of some type.
Since I did go to Charles Stanley church in my younger days and he got divorce. For years, he preached he would never preach as a divorced person but he found his way back to the pulpit. Charle's son disagreed with the whole concept and left the church to start his own church. He was probably ready anyhow. The minister that married me, Nelson Price got divorced and stepped down from the pulpit. I haven't confirmed that but I heard about it. So we got these two men with opposite views on who can teach and who can not. I've left topics at forums regarding theses views and got mixed answers. The answer that I trust is that anyone can teach a Sunday School class but not teach deacons and elders. The troubling thing about my brother in law is that he probably teach a mix of officers in his church. Some suggest that he steps down but I don't think his ego will handle doing down to lower species.
I hope to start a discussion here at TOL about qualifications of teachers, deacons and elders.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
You know what I do instead? I organized a group of recovering homosexuals in my community, under my church's banner no less.
Do you think Homosexuals are wrong about it being OK to live that lifestyle when it comes to living a Christian life?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

Do you think Homosexuals are wrong about it being OK to live that lifestyle when it comes to living a Christian life?
I'd say they're only about as wrong as sticking your head in the oven is a good way to dry your hair.

:think:

Actually they're more wrong than that. Because you probably will dry your hair in the process of burning your face off.

These are recovering homosexuals, you see. It's kinda like a support group but with more bible study. And probably more coffee.

Seriously. I'd bet coffee stocks jumped a few points right after we started this thing. :nono:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Yes, there is. Divorce is not an unforgivable sin. For whatever sin you believe you may have committed, repent, ask forgiveness from God in Jesus' Name and move on.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If you are a practicing catholic and do not trust in his finished work, then there is no place for you. Divorce has nothing to do with it.

bybee

Amen

Amen

I don't expect church leaders to be sinless, else we'd have none. But I expect they'd hold a higher standard. I think 1 Timothy 3 clearly supports that notion. Your friend should have the grace to recognize that he's setting an example as Sunday School teacher and step aside.

Heck, I've flown pretty darned straight since I got saved but with my history, even before that, (and my tattoos) you won't catch me teaching Sunday School. I'd love to and I think I'd be great at it. But ain't gonna happen.

You know what I do instead? I organized a group of recovering homosexuals in my community, under my church's banner no less. I helped repair the church after Katrina, waded in there and put my butchy tomboyishness (and my tools) to good use. I lug the boxes of food out of the truck for the little old ladies we deliver to on weekends. Heck, I serve as a living witness to all kinds of different things. You have no idea how many times I've heard, from over my shoulder somewhere, "Have you met, Mary...? Here she is. Mary, tell us about..."

Okay, that last one's a major pain in the butt. But what are you gonna do?

I, me, myself, would accomplish less as a Sunday School teacher. Why would I ever do that? I leave that to someone who can accomplish something with it.

I think I'd be justified in wondering why exactly your friend is teaching Sunday School. It doesn't seem to be with anyone else's benefit in mind. If that was their concern, they'd be doing something else.

1 Corinthians 12:20-26 (New King James Version)
20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

God bless you Mary! You hit the nail on the head. Being a good neighbor requires doing what you can do with grace and good-will. I have done all kinds of things to lend a hand, not always what I thought I could do best, but, what was needed at the moment. It is no accident I guess that I was born on the same day as Saint Zephronius, patron saint of pots and pans! lol peace, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.