And Now For A Nice Thread About All Things Pleasant...

eider

And then there was 2020...

Anyway, I'm listening to the parrots outside right now, they're incredibly noisy. A flock of them are snacking up in the neighbor's date palms. These are Red-masked Parakeets, and not native to the region, they're feral flocks descended from escaped or released caged birds, and they've thrived in San Diego, among other places in California. Beautiful birds, though!

Red-masked_Parakeet_from_The_Crossley_ID_Guide_Eastern_Birds.jpg

From Audubon:

This colorful, long-tailed parrot is native to northwestern South America, where it lives mainly in dry forests of western Ecuador and southwestern Peru. Escaped cagebirds have established feral populations around San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, California, and locally in Florida. Often they are found in mixed flocks with the similar Mitred Parakeet. In the United States these parakeets are seen mostly around exotic plantings in city parks and suburbs, not in wild habitats.
Brilliant!
We have a very large flock of feral Indian Ring-Neck Parakeets living around here. I do love to see and hear them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Brilliant!
We have a very large flock of feral Indian Ring-Neck Parakeets living around here. I do love to see and hear them.

They're so interesting to watch, aren't they? I like how they move along the branch using their beaks, so different from how the songbirds move.

eider

They're so interesting to watch, aren't they? I like how they move along the branch using their beaks, so different from how the songbirds move.
Ha ha! Characters all....
Sadly our Royal Society for Protection of Birds insists that Ring-necks reduce the chances of our song birds and so supports their reduction or removal, but Ring-necks are too smart for any gunners. They stay very close to residential communities and so shotgun noise, poisons, traps and other devices just cannot be considered.

We might as well declare them all to be asylum seekers and leave them alone! 😁 The nearest large community of Ring-necks is in Thanet, Kent, UK.

The purists don't like the American Ruddy-duck either because it reduces the chances of the European White-headed ducks. Again, I think that Ruddies are absolutely delightful little birds...... I think I prefer them :D