And Now For A Nice Thread About All Things Pleasant...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
slow_down.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This doesn't qualify as 'all things pleasant,' but it was notable, and something I'd been unaware of beforehand, so finding it was a good lesson.

I was in San Clemente in Orange County a while back, and in a small museum I got a chance to see the original plan of the city, ca 1925. Just reading it for the historical interest, my eye caught this line, the last in the second column of facts about San Clemente, which you can (hopefully) see if you click on the image:

"Purchasers limited to Caucasian Race."

View attachment 26542

Sorry about the shadow, I tried several shots, but too much light behind me and didn't know how to deal with that. I have no photographic skill, just a handy phone.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This doesn't qualify as 'all things pleasant,' but it was notable, and something I'd been unaware of beforehand, so finding it was a good lesson.

I was in San Clemente in Orange County a while back, and in a small museum I got a chance to see the original plan of the city, ca 1925. Just reading it for the historical interest, my eye caught this line, the last in the second column of facts about San Clemente, which you can (hopefully) see if you click on the image:

"Purchasers limited to Caucasian Race."

View attachment 26542

Sorry about the shadow, I tried several shots, but too much light behind me and didn't know how to deal with that. I have no photographic skill, just a handy phone.

Caucasian race, eh?

Who won?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Republicans. It's Orange County.

The times, they are a-changin'.

It may be small comfort for Democrats who are devastated that Hillary Clinton lost her bid for the White House, but the former secretary of State managed to do something no Democrat has done since the Great Depression — win Orange County.

Clinton beat Republican Donald Trump by nearly 5 points, or 39,000 votes, in the county that has long served as a national symbol for the GOP, the home to Richard Nixon and the cradle of Ronald Reagan's conservatism.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the last Democratic presidential candidate to take Orange County, in his 1936 contest against challenger Alf Landon.

This time, with 395,801 votes, Clinton took nearly half of the total, while Trump won 356,892 votes, or 45%.

Because of its deep Republican roots, Orange County is the most prominent red county to turn blue. But it was not alone — similar shifts occurred in other large, affluent suburban counties such as those outside Atlanta and Houston.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-oc-clinton-20161109-story.html

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool temperatures. I would like to reflect upon the by gone days of cooler temperatures as today I get to live in the temperature of 108.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trying to see how much image quality I could get out of my Pentax Kp:

29605128978_19b434de2a_b.jpg

Here's an enlargment from that image:
43539205051_79ae8d24d6_o.jpg

It's the dark car between the two trees. And yes, a lot of processing and "cheating" to get that level of detail in the picture. Original is well over a hundred megapixels.

lovemeorhateme

A Deutsche Bahn BR 2442 Talent 2 train at Garmisch-Partenkirchen station in southern Germany. I was fortunate to be able to visit the region back in March. I took this photo on a journey between Munich and Innsbruck, Austria. We had a 10 minute stop here, and so I decided to stretch my legs and take this pic!

View attachment 26605