Theology Club: An Acts 28 Irony

Danoh

Acts 28:

21. And they said unto him, We neither received letters out of Judaea concerning thee, neither any of the brethren that came shewed or spake any harm of thee.
22. But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against.

Would that more might strive to keep the above heart attitude ever in mind, upon hearing concerning one thing or another “that every where it is spoken against.”

I'm going to divide my thoughts on this point over several threads, so as to keep them short.

Danoh

What I have noticed over time is that the above is only possible, when the following is consistently applied – what, for the sake of a label for ease of identification; I refer to as…

The Standard Mid-Acts (A9D) Bible Study Principle

Induction (exhaustive, ever continuing information gathering), towards…

Contrastive Analysis as to whom, what, when, where, why, and how, towards forming a…

Working Premise as to what might have been those General Rules of Thumb Scripture depicts its spiritual men had labored under, as they said and or did what they did, where, as to who, what when where, and why. This, towards applying said General Rules of Thumb to…

Deduction as to all that who, what, when, where, why, and how. This, in turn, towards forming a…

Conclusion, which in turn is the basis of one’s…

Assertions…

Danoh

The above is a never ending process. For, as one invests time in the above, its continually resulting accumulation of information, insight, and understanding will often result in much more refined understandings of one thing or another.

And the above is actually the very origin of the reemergence of the A9D (Mid-Acts) Distinction.

As a result, the extent to which each individual who subscribes to A9D will either come up short, or strong, when some distinction they hold to is examined via the above process, will actually determine the extent to which those who subscribe to the A9D (Mid-Acts) Distinction to begin with, will not only be found differ as to each their understanding, but why.

Danoh

And built into the above process is a means for solving for differences in understandings. A process the witness of many passages throughout even just the Acts alone reveals is greatly hindered by a spirit or heart attitude that is basically one of contention against any view but one's own.

heir

TOL Subscriber
There are none who hold an Acts 28 position on this site.

I do believe I've found the Acts 28 irony.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Danoh works hard and studies hard. I'm still not sure what this thread is about but Danoh has spent as much time here telling us about understanding, rightly dividing, searching scriptures, all the different Mid-Acts views and all the nuances, as anything else.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Danoh works hard and studies hard. I'm still not sure what this thread is about but Danoh has spent as much time here telling us about understanding, rightly dividing, searching scriptures, all the different Mid-Acts views and all the nuances, as anything else.
All he's done is told us how we haven't studied and lack understanding, much like Jerry Shugart.

Danoh

All he's done is told us how we haven't studied and lack understanding, much like Jerry Shugart.

Its par for the course when dealing with those who tend to be direct that they tend to be very thin skinned when on its receiving end.

As for Jerry; when he announced serious health issues, I was one of the very few who expressed concern for him.

Why? Because beyond all our "that's not for us!" there is "what is for us" - there is the love of Christ toward one another - especially in time of need - that all the "not for us" in the world means absolutely nothing without.

And that applies whether or not someone holds our exact view in every shade and nuance or not.

What is the point of all supposedly "correct, end all, be all" doctrine if the minute someone differs with us, we make ourselves the issue?

And what is the point if the minute anyone actually does make us the issue, we "go there" too?

What that reveals is a legalism within us that we have yet to take apart, carefully examine the workings of, for future signs of its manifestation in us, and then worked on by us as to its solving for just a bit more each time out.

Do that, and we will each find, that neither Jerry Shugart, may he be well, nor anyone else, was, never is, and never should be...the issue.

I know this, because tomorrow I myself will forget all this, only to have to turn once more to the instruction of Philippians 1:10-11.

glorydaz

As for Jerry; when he announced serious health issues, I was one of the very few who expressed concern for him.

You've mentioned this already, but you really should know that others did the same....just not out in the open. When you do something to be seen, you have your reward. ;)

:carryon:

glorydaz

they tend to be very thin skinned when on its receiving end.

And what is the point if the minute anyone actually does make us the issue, we "go there" too?

I love it when we see the example right there in the lecture. :thumb:

Danoh

You've mentioned this already, but you really should know that others did the same....just not out in the open. When you do something to be seen, you have your reward. ;)

:carryon:

GD, know that I often mention a thing again, where it fits the point I am attempting to bring out.

As for out in the open concern; what others might then perceive our motives were, well, that is not often helped by each persons perception of the motive behind another's action.

As I once told a friend who's "intent" was cut short by the female he said "hello" to 'For all you know, she was not reacting to you... for all you know, she was reacting to something from her past that now impacts her present perception... its why many people are shy, friendly, arrogant, etc - unless solved for where needed, one's past learning will continue to impact their present perceptions...'

Conclude what we each might believe we might need to, GD; that still doesn't necessarily make it the reality.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
GD, know that I often mention a thing again, where it fits the point I am attempting to bring out.

As for out in the open concern; what others might then perceive our motives were, well, that is not often helped by each persons perception of the motive behind another's action.

As I once told a friend who's "intent" was cut short by the female he said "hello" to 'For all you know, she was not reacting to you... for all you know, she was reacting to something from her past that now impacts her present perception... its why many people are shy, friendly, arrogant, etc - unless solved for where needed, one's past learning will continue to impact their present perceptions...'

Conclude what we each might believe we might need to, GD; that still doesn't necessarily make it the reality.

GD has a unique way of knowing everyone's thought processes and intentions. She judges in her own special way, didn't you know ?