'American Sniper' Overview

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Despite the name and what it was about, I was still a bit struck by how super American the movie was.

It's almost obnoxious, actually- rodeo man from Texas becomes a Navy Seal, with a base desire to protect America from the evil in the Middle East.
And with all the cowbell to go along with it.

The only saving factor of all this is that it is based on an actual man-and the way it ends is in a veneration of actual footage from his funeral. In other words, expect a silent crowd upon exiting the theaters much like if you had went to see the Passion of the Christ when it first came out.

The number one thing, I will say, that is not surprising at all is that it was directed by Clint Eastwood- a well known libertarian. In hindsight, we should have seen this coming lol.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I saw American Sniper last weekend. I was particularly struck by the father's sheep-wolf-sheepdog admonition to the young Chris Kyle:

There are three types of people in this world: sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Now, some people prefer to believe that evil doesn’t exist in the world. Those are the sheep. And then you got predators who use violence to prey on the weak. They’re the wolves. And then there are those who have been blessed with the gift of aggression, and the overpowering need to protect the flock. These men are the rare breed that live to confront the wolf. They are the sheepdogs.

First of all, I looked for attribution, and apparently those words don't appear in Kyle's autobiography, they're from a book called On Combat by Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, who, according to his bio on Amazon "is an internationally recognized scholar, author, soldier, and speaker who is one of the world s foremost experts in the field of human aggression and the roots of violence and violent crime. Colonel Grossman is a West Point psychology professor, Professor of Military Science, and an Army Ranger who has combined his experiences to become the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor, which he has termed killology."

Second, hearing those words was like hearing the black-and-white dogmatism of some TOLers come to life on the big screen.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Despite the name and what it was about, I was still a bit struck by how super American the movie was.

It's almost obnoxious, ...

If I were king, I would ship ungrateful so-called 'Christians'* over to muzzie countries to give them a taste of what they deserve and then maybe they'd realize how "super" America really is.

*I almost forgot: And liberals like annadebenneti and L/libertarians like Christian Liberty.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If I were king, I would ship ungrateful so-called 'Christians'* over to muzzie countries to give them a taste of what they deserve and then maybe they'd realize how "super" America really is.

*I almost forgot: And liberals like annadebenneti and L/libertarians like Christian Liberty.

Which is why your brand of dominionism is so dangerous to democracy.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Well, you are not. Never will be. My country protects us from people such as yourself.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It's almost obnoxious, actually- rodeo man from Texas becomes a Navy Seal, with a base desire to protect America from the evil in the Middle East.
And with all the cowbell to go along with it.

The only saving factor of all this is that it is based on an actual man-and the way it ends is in a veneration of actual footage from his funeral. In other words, expect a silent crowd upon exiting the theaters much like if you had went to see the Passion of the Christ when it first came out.

The number one thing, I will say, that is not surprising at all is that it was directed by Clint Eastwood- a well known libertarian. In hindsight, we should have seen this coming lol.
Oh the horror!!!!!
How dare someone actually prefer one country over another.

And how dare anyone want to be one that actually puts their own life on the line to save others. And then donates all proceeds of his book to help soldiers that also laid their lives on the line.

Horror of horrors!!!
What is the world coming to?
We need to ridicule folks like that.

no-1.gif

john w

Hall of Fame
I saw American Sniper last weekend. I was particularly struck by the father's sheep-wolf-sheepdog admonition to the young Chris Kyle:

There are three types of people in this world: sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Now, some people prefer to believe that evil doesn’t exist in the world. Those are the sheep. And then you got predators who use violence to prey on the weak. They’re the wolves. And then there are those who have been blessed with the gift of aggression, and the overpowering need to protect the flock. These men are the rare breed that live to confront the wolf. They are the sheepdogs.

First of all, I looked for attribution, and apparently those words don't appear in Kyle's autobiography, they're from a book called On Combat by Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman, who, according to his bio on Amazon "is an internationally recognized scholar, author, soldier, and speaker who is one of the world s foremost experts in the field of human aggression and the roots of violence and violent crime. Colonel Grossman is a West Point psychology professor, Professor of Military Science, and an Army Ranger who has combined his experiences to become the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor, which he has termed killology."

Second, hearing those words was like hearing the black-and-white dogmatism of some TOLers come to life on the big screen.

First, I'd like to thank all the wolves/wolf-ette's on TOL, for making this award/job necessary....

I do not like wolves/wolf-ette's....saint John "Sheep Dog" W I am...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which is why your brand of dominionism is so dangerous to democracy.

Well, you are not. Never will be. My country protects us from people such as yourself.

Be very afraid girls, because one day America will wake up and tell you that you can't murder another 58 million unborn babies in the womb and that you can't promote an absolutely filthy behavior that amongst other things molests the minds and bodies of innocent children.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
If I were king...I would send L/libertarians like WizardofOz over to Iran or Syrian where a beautiful burka just his size anxiously awaits him.

:rotfl:

Nothing says Murica like fantasizing about being king :hammer:

Burqa_1428680c.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Be very afraid girls, because one day America will wake up and tell you that you can't murder another 58 million unborn babies in the womb and that you can't promote an absolutely filthy behavior that amongst other things molests the minds and bodies of innocent children.

Sorry to take down that strawman, but I haven't murdered any babies.

You, Mr. Ends Justifies the Means who thinks the head of the Iranian secret police was a great man - you would subvert everything on which this country was established by forcibly evicting people who don't agree with your crazy morality policing, and you attempt to justify your antics somehow, some way, by trying to connect it back to abortion.

Abortion is a terrible thing, and you trivialize it by using it as your get-out-of an-argument-you-can't-win strategy.

WizardofOz

had your dumb juice today I see

had your dumb juice today I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
If I were king...I would send L/libertarians like WizardofOz over to Iran or Syrian where a beautiful burka just his size anxiously awaits him.
:doh:
Yeah, because libertarians and Islamists are so much alike.

If only their religion was Christianity, you'd fit right in.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Be very afraid girls,

Your talking to yourself isn't the least bit frightening.

because one day America will wake up and tell you that you can't murder another 58 million unborn babies in the womb

Whatever will *you* do if you are not able to defend abortion? After all, no one has forgotten that you selectively defend certain abortions.

and that you can't promote an absolutely filthy behavior that amongst other things molests the minds and bodies of innocent children.

Projection at it's finest. Shouldn't you be scouring the net for all that filth you *claim* to despise?

Nothing says "I despise this evil" like seeking it out, saving it and posting it on the worldwide web.

WizardofOz

Sorry to take down that strawman, but I haven't murdered any babies.

You, Mr. Ends Justifies the Means who thinks the head of the Iranian secret police was a great man - you would subvert everything on which this country was established by forcibly evicting people who don't agree with your crazy morality policing, and you attempt to justify your antics somehow, some way, by trying to connect it back to abortion.

Abortion is a terrible thing, and you trivialize it by using it as your get-out-of an-argument-you-can't-win strategy.

The layers of his mental illness and illogic just keep unraveling...

PureX

That quote is a load of crap. Unless he wrote it to exemplify pop-stupidity, which I doubt, then I would say Colonel Grossman is just a shameless panderer.

Sadly, Clint Eastwood seems to be slipping into his dotage. He's becoming the crank he portrayed in Gran Torino.

WizardofOz

Whatever will *you* do if you are not able to defend abortion? After all, no one has forgotten that you selectively defend certain abortions.

Projection at it's finest. Shouldn't you be scouring the net for all that filth you *claim* to despise?

Nothing says "I despise this evil" like seeking it out, saving it and posting it on the worldwide web.

Ouch :first:

resodko

BANNED
Banned

do you disagree with the analogy?