About Converting To Roman Catholicism

WeberHome

-
I was baptized an infant into the Roman Catholic system and continued on to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

Roman Catholicism is a difficult religion. In order for its followers to obtain a passing grade they have to consistently comply with everything in the Catechism and the Code of Canon Law, plus all of Rome's traditions, and every Bull, every Holy Day of Obligation, every Encyclical plus all of the Sermon On The Mount and everything taught in the epistles of Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John; along with every ruling of Rome's Church Councils including Nicaea 1 & 2, Constantinople 1 & 2 & 3, Ephesus, Chalcedon, Lateran 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5, Lyons 1 & 2, Vienne, Constance, Florence, Trent, and Vaticans 1 & 2.

On top of all that; should a Catholic leave this life in a state of mortal sin, they go straight to Hell with no stopover in a purgatory. All their years as a Catholic, no matter how many nor how faithful, will count for naught.

I lost hope in Roman Catholicism back in 1968. I really can't imagine how anyone could ever be a good enough Catholic to make it into heaven; it's just too hard.

/

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
... should a Catholic leave this life in a state of mortal sin, they go straight to Hell with no stopover in a purgatory. All their years as a Catholic, no matter how many nor how faithful, will count for naught.

I lost hope in Roman Catholicism back in 1968. I really can't imagine how anyone could ever be a good enough Catholic to make it into heaven; it's just too hard.

Use this size font. :mmph:

Catholics are the result of Romanticized German monks.

WeberHome

Re: About Converting To Roman Catholicism

-
According to the information below, taken from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (a.k.a. CCC) it's readily seen that it isn't necessary to completely turn against either God or the Church in order to leave this life in a state of mortal sin.

CCC 1856
When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery.

CCC 1857
For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

CCC 1858
Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."

CCC 1859
Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice.

CCC 1861
Mortal sin . . . results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom and the eternal death of hell.

In other words: mortal sins fall in the category of willful behavior; i.e. acts committed wherein the offender knows in advance that certain things are wrong.

A really good example of willful sin is Adam's. He tasted the forbidden fruit in the knowledge of both the ban the consequences; which correlates to a catechized Catholic knowing both the ban and the consequences for breaking any one of the Ten Commandments.

Mortal sins hang over Catholicism's head like a sword of Damocles; suspended by a slender thread easily severed by a moment of defiance; hence:

Council of Trent Session 6, Chapter 16, Canon 16
If anyone says that he will for certain, with an absolute and infallible certainty, have that great gift of perseverance even to the end, unless he shall have learned this by a special revelation, let him be anathema.

/

Last edited:

jsanford108

-
According to the information below, taken from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (a.k.a. CCC) it's readily seen that it isn't necessary to completely turn against either God or the Church in order to leave this life in a state of mortal sin.

CCC 1856
When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery.

CCC 1857
For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

CCC 1858
Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."

CCC 1859
Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice.

CCC 1861
Mortal sin . . . results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom and the eternal death of hell.

In other words: mortal sins fall in the category of willful behavior; i.e. acts committed wherein the offender knows in advance that certain things are wrong.

A really good example of willful sin is Adam's. He tasted the forbidden fruit in the knowledge of both the ban the consequences; which correlates to a catechized Catholic knowing both the ban and the consequences for breaking any one of the Ten Commandments.

Mortal sins hang over Catholicism's head like a sword of Damocles
Are you sure you were even Catholic?

Your analysis of mortal sin is way off base. Mortal would be a willful, unrepentant sin falling under the umbrella of the "Seven Deadly Sins." Naturally, these would be breaking the Ten Commandments.

The key for something to be mortal sin/grave sin is that it requires knowledge of the act being wrong, intent to commit said act, and a willful, unloving treatment towards God (or his commandments) or fellow man. If any one of these is absent, the sin is not mortal.

jsanford108

I would like to invite you to my thread, "An Open Invitation to Civil Discussion." There, we can openly discuss doctrines of Catholicism that you disagree with, or find hard to believe.

I would suggest reading the OP, as I outline standards and principles for progressive discussion.

WeberHome

-
Q: At Matt 16:18, Jesus said: "Upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it." What did he mean by that?

A: Basically that should one of Christ's true believing followers slip through a crack and end up in the wrong place, they will be able to stroll right on out of there like a tourist in Paris; possibly guided on their journey by a celestial being, maybe similar to Peter's experience when he escaped jail in Acts 12:3-11.

I should point out that if the Roman Catholic Church were the "my church" that Christ spoke of in Matt 16:18, then no true Catholic-- not one --would end up in hell; but I'm pretty sure that Rome expects to lose a number of its followers to an uncertain fate; which reminds me of a line from the movie AVATAR spoken by Colonel Miles Quaritch, played by Stephen Lang, that goes like this:

It is my job to keep you alive.
I will not succeed . . not with all of you.

/

God's Truth

Q: At Matt 16:18, Jesus said: "Upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it." What did he mean by that?

A: Basically that should one of Christ's true believing followers slip through a crack and end up in the wrong place, they will be able to stroll right on out of there like a tourist in Paris; possibly guided on their journey by a celestial being, maybe similar to Peter's experience when he escaped jail in Acts 12:3-11.

I should point out that if the Roman Catholic Church were the "my church" that Christ spoke of in Matt 16:18, then no true Catholic-- not one --would end up in hell; but I'm pretty sure that Rome expects to lose a number of its followers to an uncertain fate; which reminds me of a line from the movie AVATAR spoken by Colonel Miles Quaritch, played by Stephen Lang, that goes like this:

It is my job to keep you alive.
I will not succeed . . not with all of you.

Jesus is building the Church on the truth from God which Peter spoke.

Jesus is the Truth and the Church.

Jesus is the one who went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep Jesus there.

God's Truth

the OP made no mention of his beliefs, his only concern seemed to be the beliefs of Catholics that he has no interest in joining. if he has no interest in their faith then why is he so concerned with their beliefs.

Because he wants to talk about it.

Now stop bashing people who want to speak their thoughts and beliefs about any denomination that want.

He was in the Catholic church and he can talk about it all he wants.

I will talk about that false church all I want too. Maybe I can help save people.

Last edited:

WatchmanOnTheWall

-
/

The scriptures give us the answers:

Isaiah 28:16
So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic.

Ephesians 2
19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:16
Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst?

WeberHome

-
1Pet 3:15 . . Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope.

The Greek word for "hope" in Peter's command is elpis (el pece') which means to anticipate (usually with pleasure) and to expect with confidence. Note the elements of anticipation, and expectation, and confidence.

In other words: Peter's hope is a know-so hope rather than a cross your fingers hope.

So, unless someone is 110% confident-- beyond even the slightest glimmer of sensible doubt --that they are going to heaven, then of course it is impossible for them to comply with Peter's instructions seeing as they would not yet have the kind of hope about which he wrote.

Rom 12:12 . . Rejoicing in hope.

When people are praying for the best, while in the back of their mind dreading the worst, they have absolutely no cause for rejoicing; no; but they do have plenty of cause to fear the unknown.

/

jaybird

Because he wants to talk about it.

Now stop bashing people who want to speak their thoughts and beliefs about any denomination that want.

He was in the Catholic church and he can talk about it all he wants.

I will talk about that false church all I want too. Maybe I can help save people.

and i shall chose to talk about those that speak hatred in the name of Jesus.