A wild gnostic appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepskyy

Hello everyone. Just popping into the intro section before jumping head first into the fray.

A bit about myself...
You may call me Deepskyy, Deep, or Andy. I don't mind.

I have a B.A. from Appalachian State University in Philosophy and Religion and a brand new M.A. in Religious Studies from UNCC.
I also have a PhD in putting things off from Procrastination U and a full Doctorate of Political BS. :p

I like to stir the pot and approach things from a "devils advocate" perspective a lot, but I also will always default to scholarship in all things Religious. My forte areas are Jewish Mysiticism, Gnostic literature, and my major area of Concentration is Modern American Religion. I can translate Biblical Hebrew and know enough German to be dangerous.

I aspire to teach at the collegiate level, eventually at a University with my Doctorate. I am hard to offend, and I approach any question or debate like a teaching oppertunity.

Lets have some fun shall we?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Welcome, Deepskyy!

I'm a 60's/70's ex-hippie/Hindu/Taoist/Buddhist/Theosophist/etc.
I was born from above by the Spirit in 1979, when I came to know Jesus of Nazareth as who he claimed to be and thus my Lord and Savior.

Ps82

Welcome,
Hope we enjoy discussing our different ideas, but I also like it when people find things upon which they agree.

I read my King James translation and often see nuances to the interpretation that others do not.

I am a believer because God convinced me that He is real, alive, and knows what it going on in my life and in my future. Through a personal miracle I now cannot deny that God is real ... and My Lord lives.

I take the scriptures (OT and NT) literally and also see foreshadows or prophecies that lie beneath the literal interpretations which pertain to the Messiah and even sometimes get a glimmer of the prophecies for the future of mankind.

However, not too good with discussing the book of Revelation.

See you around.

zippy2006

Hello everyone. Just popping into the intro section before jumping head first into the fray.

A bit about myself...

I have a B.A. from Appalachian State University in Philosophy and Religion and a brand new M.A. in Religious Studies from UNCC.
I also have a PhD in putting things off from Procrastination U and a full Doctorate of Political BS. :p

I like to stir the pot and approach things from a "devils advocate" perspective a lot, but I also will always default to scholarship in all things Religious. My forte areas are Jewish Mysiticism, Gnostic literature, and my major area of Concentration is Modern American Religion. I can translate Biblical Hebrew and know enough German to be dangerous.

I aspire to teach at the collegiate level, eventually at a University with my Doctorate. I am hard to offend, and I approach any question or debate like a teaching oppertunity.

:wave2:

What are your personal religious views in a nutshell? :D

Dena

Hello Andy. Welcome to TOL. I know zilch about gnostic Christianity. What does it entail? I myself am in the process of converting to Judaism. I am somewhat interested in Jewish Mysticism though my knowledge is extremely limited.

Deepskyy

Yea it would take a big nutshell :D
Well, as my thread title hints to, I envision myself as a modern gnostic in the mold of Origen and Clement. I believe that a personal relationship with G-d is favorable to sitting on a pew and listening to someone who I may or may not agree with (may not in most cases). I especially am resistant to denominations that do not encourage the "flock" to question the pastor on issues of faith. I feel that my own ability and desire to read, research, interpret, translate, and meditate upon scripture brings me closer to G-d and offers me wisdom that I cannot attain by "traditional" means.

I also take my definition of what it is to be Christian from the gospels, and the gospels alone. My ethics I derive from a number of sources. The Hebrew Bible, the Gospels, Apocryphal and Pseudepigraphical texts, and some gnostic literature.

I also have just finished my Thesis, which explores the Church of God (Cleveland TN) from 1971 to 1993.

Deepskyy

Dena, Gnosticism is almost impossible to define in a sentence, or even a paragraph for that matter. What I can say about it is that it puts emphasis on thought, wisdom, and a personal interpretation of theology.

csuguy

Yea it would take a big nutshell :D
Well, as my thread title hints to, I envision myself as a modern gnostic in the mold of Origen and Clement. I believe that a personal relationship with G-d is favorable to sitting on a pew and listening to someone who I may or may not agree with (may not in most cases). I especially am resistant to denominations that do not encourage the "flock" to question the pastor on issues of faith. I feel that my own ability and desire to read, research, interpret, translate, and meditate upon scripture brings me closer to G-d and offers me wisdom that I cannot attain by "traditional" means.

I also take my definition of what it is to be Christian from the gospels, and the gospels alone. My ethics I derive from a number of sources. The Hebrew Bible, the Gospels, Apocryphal and Pseudepigraphical texts, and some gnostic literature.

I also have just finished my Thesis, which explores the Church of God (Cleveland TN) from 1971 to 1993.

It is interesting that you identify yourself as a gnostic when Clement resisted the gnostics, as we title them today. In practice, Clement lost the battle for the title of gnostic.

Do you hold to the Gnostic title as Clement did: viewing it as properly belonging to true, mature, Christians? Or do you accept the, as Clement would say, "So-Called Gnostic's" beliefs?

I ask because you say speak of Clement, but I get the sense that you are more a gnostic in the normal sense of the term.

Pierac

A bit about myself...

Indeed, let's see what that brand new M.A. in Religious Studies from UNCC has given you! ;)

From your studies you should be aware that most Jewish Mysticism, and Gnostic literature come from the Samaritans who converted to Christianity in the first century! Seek out the Dura Europos synagogue. During it's construction and use... no Jew or Christian would be associated with such idolatry painted on the walls. But one such group had no such difficulty. :think:

Rev 2:9 'I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

Now think about those who say they are Jews and are not, and build synagogue's of Satan! You would do well to study Simon Magus.
Act 8:9 Now there was a man named Simon, who formerly was practicing magic in the city and astonishing the people of Samaria, claiming to be someone great;

Act 8:13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.

Act 8:18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

Act 8:24 But Simon answered and said, "Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."

Seek and ye shall find! After all, it was the Gnostic's who gave us the long haired bearded Jesus! :think:

Paul

Deepskyy

It is interesting that you identify yourself as a gnostic when Clement resisted the gnostics, as we title them today. In practice, Clement lost the battle for the title of gnostic.

Do you hold to the Gnostic title as Clement did: viewing it as properly belonging to true, mature, Christians? Or do you accept the, as Clement would say, "So-Called Gnostic's" beliefs?

I ask because you say speak of Clement, but I get the sense that you are more a gnostic in the normal sense of the term.

Clement resisted the false Gnostic heretics, this is true. I would say my own belief system brings me in line with that which Clement and his direct disciples wished to be. A constant quest towards true gnosis, overcoming the breach between knowledge and faith.

Deepskyy

Indeed, let's see what that brand new M.A. in Religious Studies from UNCC has given you! ;)

From your studies you should be aware that most Jewish Mysticism, and Gnostic literature come from the Samaritans who converted to Christianity in the first century! Seek out the Dura Europos synagogue. During it's construction and use... no Jew or Christian would be associated with such idolatry painted on the walls. But one such group had no such difficulty. :think:

That's not exactly correct Paul, Gnostics were everything from Samaritans, Egyptian Christians (Coptic translations tell us that), Jews from Judea, Babylon, and all the way down to Ethiopia.
The Mandeans were centered in Iraq and Iran, and Marcion started his "church" in Rome. Gnosticism is a wide grouping of beliefs. :)
Jewish Mysticism spans centuries from the first centuries BCE through the middle ages where it declined and was eventually overtaken by Kabbalism.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

A bit about myself...

Klaus?! Is that you? I haven't seen you since that day in Königs Wusterhausen...

Pierac

That's not exactly correct Paul, Gnostics were everything from Samaritans, Egyptian Christians (Coptic translations tell us that), Jews from Judea, Babylon, and all the way down to Ethiopia.

The Mandeans were centered in Iraq and Iran, and Marcion started his "church" in Rome. Gnosticism is a wide grouping of beliefs. :)
Jewish Mysticism spans centuries from the first centuries BCE through the middle ages where it declined and was eventually overtaken by Kabbalism.

Of course but... You missed the point! Who united them. :think:

Who built the Dura Europos synagogue? :rolleyes:

Your starting to disappoint me... :cry:

Paul

Deepskyy

Define united. Most of the gnostic "churches" were small groups of scribes who worked together to produce the scriptures that they then taught from. They were spread across the ancient near east, existed for a few hundred years at best and then were eliminated or absorbed by the Catholic church.

Only a small sect of Mandeans still exist to this day in Iraq.

Oh, and the Dura Europos synagog is in Syria, and is dated to about 244 CE. It would seem to be built by diasporatic Jews due to the art and the scrolls found inside, and also a Torah shrine pointed towards Jerusalem.

Status
Not open for further replies.