Theology Club: A thought...

Danoh

In the next few months, I'll be moving on from posting much on TOL, if not just moving on altogether :)

In this, I thought I'd relate a thought I've long had on my mind, lest I forget to relate it later.

That the only difference I see that matters in how we each understand one thing or another is their potential impact on our understanding of those issues where a proper understanding is critical.

But even that continues to have limited appeal to me. For in the end, it is between the individual, The Book, and His Maker.

For example, personally, whether or not the Romans were in the Body before Paul wrote Romans does not really matter to me, as they have been gone from this earth some two thousand years now, and whatever their case was before or after the fact of Romans, has long ceased from being a concern.

Likewise with whether the 12 were in or out or down and out, or who wrote Hebrews, or what have you...

For me, the issue will continue to be what I might further refine as to my own understanding about how to study a thing out; and this is a life-long ending process.

And in this, one who is willing, is able to learn not only in agreement with those one is in agreement with, but also, from the challenge that opposition to one's own view can challenge one to - to study a thing out afresh.

Including, the challenge of studying out afresh also, how one studies things out to begin with.

I doubt am alone in some of this, but for me, this challenge to study out how I am approaching my study of a thing is a never ending fascination.

I like that; it leaves neither room for the blinding impact of needing to be right; nor for taking offense at slights, whether real, or perceived as such.

It also makes for the path to a quick recovery from those moments where one has temporarily lost sight of the above.

The result; all the room in the world for a continued, growing in understanding, Acts 20:32 :)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope your hiatus proves fruitful. You will be missed.

BTW, just in the interest of reminding others about thread titles...

www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4461319#post4461319

and...

Knight said:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060508021435/http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9

How to title your new forum threads...
A note to all TOLers.

When you create a new thread please choose a title the accurately describes your thread.

At TOL we get far too many threads that are titled something like... "You gotta see this!" or... "check this out". And while that might get some immediate attention it does nothing for that threads search-ability on TOL or elsewhere (TOL threads do very well with the Google search engine)

For instance....

Recently I added a new thread titled: Apple Unveils Software to Run Windows XP

Which is much more specific and searchable than had I titled it: Cool announcement from Apple

Notice how my title was more specific to the actual content of the thread and how it will help the thread be differentiated from other threads that are about apple announcements.

In the end if we all attempt to title our new threads with a more specific content related title our thread will be easier to find on TOL and in the major search engines such as Google.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

AMR

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
In the next few months, I'll be moving on from posting much on TOL, if not just moving on altogether :)

In this, I thought I'd relate a thought I've long had on my mind, lest I forget to relate it later.

That the only difference I see that matters in how we each understand one thing or another is their potential impact on our understanding of those issues where a proper understanding is critical.

But even that continues to have limited appeal to me. For in the end, it is between the individual, The Book, and His Maker.

For example, personally, whether or not the Romans were in the Body before Paul wrote Romans does not really matter to me, as they have been gone from this earth some two thousand years now, and whatever their case was before or after the fact of Romans, has long ceased from being a concern.

Likewise with whether the 12 were in or out or down and out, or who wrote Hebrews, or what have you...

For me, the issue will continue to be what I might further refine as to my own understanding about how to study a thing out; and this is a life-long ending process.

And in this, one who is willing, is able to learn not only in agreement with those one is in agreement with, but also, from the challenge that opposition to one's own view can challenge one to - to study a thing out afresh.

Including, the challenge of studying out afresh also, how one studies things out to begin with.

I doubt am alone in some of this, but for me, this challenge to study out how I am approaching my study of a thing is a never ending fascination.

I like that; it leaves neither room for the blinding impact of needing to be right; nor for taking offense at slights, whether real, or perceived as such.

It also makes for the path to a quick recovery from those moments where one has temporarily lost sight of the above.

The result; all the room in the world for a continued, growing in understanding, Acts 20:32 :)

We will miss you; I will. I complained about your ribbing but your study is always insightful and I'm confident I learned more because of you. Don't be a stranger and post here when you can oh, danoh !!

God Bless you in all your endeavors !!

(see if you can find john w while you're out there)

glorydaz

Ah, this is just what I meant by it didn't matter a hill of beans to me whether the understanding was Acts 9, 15, 28 etc. I just see the discussions we can have on here as a challenge to look deeper into the deep things of God. I read one time that the Hebrew understanding is like looking at a box. The depth, the width, the height of a matter....while the Greek is linear and moves from left to right like a time line. I think there's something to that. Every verse has so much depth...so many things remain unseen....like an iceberg.

I hope you don't plan on leaving soon, brother, because I was really wanting to look further in several things you were presenting. A real discussion, if you will. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
A few months is a long time Danoh Don't Go (that's your new name), you'll stay, you're a TOL Lifer now !!!!!! :singer::up:

Danoh

Thanks to one and all. I'm not gone yet. Just wanted to express the above while it was on my mind once more. You know how that goes. You say a thing, move on, and then think of something you had wanted to say. Thought I;d get it out of the way while it was fresh on my mind once more.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks to one and all. I'm not gone yet. Just wanted to express the above while it was on my mind once more. You know how that goes. You say a thing, move on, and then think of something you had wanted to say. Thought I;d get it out of the way while it was fresh on my mind once more.
I've enjoyed having you around.
I've enjoyed the info you have shared.
And I have enjoyed that you do not insist I share every single detail of your conclusions.

In my estimation, you know how to study, rather than just dictate.

And then you went coo-coo on everyone.

Last edited:

Danoh

I've enjoyed having you around.
I've enjoyed the info you have shared.
And I have enjoyed that you do not insist I share every single detail of your conclusions.

In my estimation, you know how to study, rather than just dictate.

Personally, sis, I am just sharing my understandings and hoping others do likewise, that we might compare notes, and that where it turns out our respective understandings of some things are different, we nevertheless do not differ with one another over them.

In this, I'll ever remain grateful to you in the Lord for both your patience and your willingness "to look into these things" even where we might differ.

I can't get away from the thought that there is more to this then "that's not for us!" And that; dictated to with an accusing finger to any one who holds a different view.

I can't get away from my conviction that the answer to differences between saints is in "what is for us."

If not; what's the point of all our asserting "not for us" to others and that "Christ is all" only to then so easily turn around and go to war with one another, myself included?

Too often, it seems the acronym M.A.D. is actually P.R.I.D.E. under the guise of MAD...

Until some difference in understanding we decide to allow ourselves to turn into a difference with others, betrays what we really hold to - PRIDE.

As if "What Would Jesus Do?" is "not for us" but Jerry Springer is.