• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

A stupidity of Darwinism: "There was never a time when there were only two humans!"

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
:rotfl:

Yout standard distraction... just discuss some factd... we won't beat you up too bad.

Nope, 7 has shown no basic background. he needs some remedial education before any rational discussion. As you well know, when the underlying issue is that your side (group?) accepts the Biblical account of special creation in a week within the last 10,000 years (a bit of a stretch from the good Bishop Ussher but if you think you need a few more 1000 years, so what), it is a bit of a waste of bandwidth to discuss the real world.

You guys are pretty funny when you get angry though. You get to call people names, show your "Christian charity".

Right Divider

Body part
Nope, 7 has shown no basic background. he needs some remedial education before any rational discussion. As you well know, when the underlying issue is that your side (group?) accepts the Biblical account of special creation in a week within the last 10,000 years (a bit of a stretch from the good Bishop Ussher but if you think you need a few more 1000 years, so what), it is a bit of a waste of bandwidth to discuss the real world.
Your arrogant pouting about the education of others is so cute.

You guys are pretty funny when you get angry though. You get to call people names, show your "Christian charity".
Feel free to discuss actual facts.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Your arrogant pouting about the education of others is so cute.

Feel free to discuss actual facts.

Not arrogant nor pouting. Just silly to discuss some science with someone who clearly does not understand the theory. FAct is the universe is not just 10,000 years old.

Oh, and did you find a photo of Stripe? Good work

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chair made some good points.
And I made some good points in response.

Your arbitrary line to delineate what is human hides two things:
1. You're assuming the truth of common descent.
2. The best way to comprehend Darwinism is to regard all divisions as ultimately arbitrary. There is no absolute divider between a person and an ape, a dinosaur and a bird, a cow and a whale, or even you and a walnut. It's all just "time," which you can't comprehend.

Last edited:

Stuu

Thanks for your reply.
1. We're assuming the truth of common descent.
No need to assume. In laypersons' terms it is proved beyond any doubt. We can discuss the evidence again if you wish.

2. The best way to comprehend Darwinism is to regard all divisions as ultimately arbitrary. There is no absolute divider between a person and an ape,
There is no division there at all. We are a species of African great ape.

a dinosaur and a bird,
Birds are direct descendants of theropod dinosaurs. You may just as well say that birds are dinosaurs.

a cow and a whale,
Cows and whales last shared a common ancestor about 80 million years ago. Between 75 million and 85 million years ago is the time of divergence of lines leading to many modern mammal species.

or even you and a walnut. It's all just "time,"
I disagree it's all just time. It is accumulated selected changes over time. Mammals and walnuts last shared a common ancestor about 1,200,000,000 years ago. Good luck imagining a million lots of 1000 years. Back at that stage the ancestor looks like neither a plant nor an animal. It is a single-celled alga.

which you can't comprehend.
Spans of time for which I have no direct personal comparison. That doesn't mean it isn't the reality of natural history on earth.

Stuart

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is proved beyond any doubt.

Nope. Evolution is just a theory (not layman's terms).

We can discuss the evidence again if you wish.

Again? How about for a first time? :thumb:

What is the best piece of physical evidence in support of the theory of evolution?

Stuu

Nope. Evolution is just a theory (not layman's terms).
You can take any personal interpretation you wish as a layperson. The word theory has a specific meaning to a non-layperson in science.

What is the best piece of physical evidence in support of the theory of evolution?
Your claim was that we assume common ancestry. My objection was that common ancestry is, in laypersons' terms, proved beyond doubt. So, are you interested in evidence for common ancestry?

Stuart

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The word theory has a specific meaning to a non-layperson in science.

That's right.

And if you had any respect for the scientific method, you would never declare Darwinism to be a fact and you would have no problem with anyone calling it a theory.

Are you interested in evidence for common ancestry?
The sooner you stop talking, the sooner you can present it. :thumb:

Lon

Thanks for your reply.

No need to assume. In laypersons' terms it is proved beyond any doubt. We can discuss the evidence again if you wish.
Interruption: No it is NOT proved let alone beyond any doubt. While God is a 'common' denominator, it doesn't mean all things 'evolved' from the same 'onion.' It'd be like saying a house evolved from a foundation. :nono: I'm only 70% in common with an onion. A brick house only has a little in common with its brick foundation.

There is no division there at all. We are a species of African great ape.
Even Darwin doesn't believe this. It believes we 'may' have an earlier common ancestor 'with' apes, not 'from' apes. Ever see the experiment where the story changes from person to person? You are doing it.

Birds are direct descendants of theropod dinosaurs. You may just as well say that birds are dinosaurs.
My brother, a biologist, says 'no.' Assumptions, best-guesses are not facts. He said that it did not have adequate characteristics thus was likely a species all its own that died out.

Cows and whales last shared a common ancestor about 80 million years ago. Between 75 million and 85 million years ago is the time of divergence of lines leading to many modern mammal species.
Its a 'theory.' A 'speculation.' How wild the guess depends on which scientists agree and which do not. Read with me: "Looking at a whale’s body and biology, there are plenty of clues that their ancestors..." U.S.Whales.org A guess or extrapolation is science, but it SHOULD NOT be overstated as if 'fact.' The problem with a lot of scientists and science readers is that they don't pay attention to what is substantiated vs. what is a 'best guess.' Many scientists pseudo-scientists would argue it is not, when in fact, it is not a fact that everybody or anybody can verify with a couple of classes. That college class simply does not exist. Fact.

I disagree it's all just time. It is accumulated selected changes over time.
It's been two seconds: show me the results of a split from a duckbill platypus. :nono: Not even 100 years will do it. We literally have no transitional species. There is no 'aquatic' panda-like creature FROM a panda. No Galapagos iguana has grown flippers. Those involved in science MUST look at all data, not just base ideas on whims and call it 'science education.' Such is irresponsible.

Mammals and walnuts last shared a common ancestor about 1,200,000,000 years ago. Good luck imagining a million lots of 1000 years. Back at that stage the ancestor looks like neither a plant nor an animal. It is a single-celled alga.
A brick wall and a cement foundation are 'related' not derivative of one another. It is 'making it up' to try and put pieces in a puzzle that are missing and there is a LOT missing. Creationism is science' best friend at the moment. It challenges truth from theory and helps science to be better and weed out all the pesky conjecture. In short, all of this discussion on TOL is very good both for science and theology, however exasperated any particular gets.

Spans of time for which I have no direct personal comparison. That doesn't mean it isn't the reality of natural history on earth.

Stuart
It is my estimation that there are plenty of missing pieces in both science speculation and the Biblical account that we can all be a bit more humble and present evidence rather than bold assertions. I was presented with a LOT of bold assertions in science and Bible classes. A good mind will necessarily question bold assertions, regardless of where they come from.

Stuu

The sooner you stop talking, the sooner you can present it.
I acknowledge your enthusiasm.

The first important piece of evidence for common descent is the fact that all living species use the same system to store and transmit their genetic code, and the molecular machinery of any one species can read the DNA of any other species.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
I acknowledge your enthusiasm.

The first important piece of evidence for common descent is the fact that all living species use the same system to store and transmit their genetic code, and the molecular machinery of any one species can read the DNA of any other species.

Stuart

Sorry... but that same evidence points to a common DESIGNER and not common descent.

And... since you've rejected your Creator... you have no other option than to assume your bogus common descent fairy tale.

Stuu

Your interruption is most welcome.
No it is NOT proved let alone beyond any doubt. While God is a 'common' denominator, it doesn't mean all things 'evolved' from the same 'onion.' It'd be like saying a house evolved from a foundation. I'm only 70% in common with an onion. A brick house only has a little in common with its brick foundation.
You are welcome to your opinion obviously, but a philosophical argument is not going to cut it in biology.

Even Darwin doesn't believe this. It believes we 'may' have an earlier common ancestor 'with' apes, not 'from' apes.
Here are the scientific classifications for chimpanzees (first) and humans (second). Carl Linneaus (who was, if it makes any difference to you, a creationist) classified us this way:

Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Mammalia
Order:primates
Suborder:Haplorhini
Infraorder:Simiiformes
Family:Hominidae
Subfamily:Homininae
Tribe:Hominini
Genus:pan
Species:p. troglodytes

Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Mammalia
Order:primates
Suborder:Haplorhini
Infraorder:Simiiformes
Family:Hominidae
Subfamily:Homininae
Tribe:Hominini
Genus:Homo
Species:H. sapiens

The African great apes, chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas and humans make up the subfamily Homininae.

Ever see the experiment where the story changes from person to person?
Yes, that makes a great analogy for natural selection. Descent with natural modification.

My brother, a biologist, says 'no.' Assumptions, best-guesses are not facts. He said that it did not have adequate characteristics thus was likely a species all its own that died out.
He is also welcome to hold his own opinion. I'm not sure what criterion are included under either 'assumptions' or 'adequate characteristics' that would make enough of a distinction. You might need to ask him to be more specific.

Its a 'theory.' A 'speculation.' How wild the guess depends on which scientists agree and which do not. Read with me: "Looking at a whale’s body and biology, there are plenty of clues that their ancestors..." U.S.Whales.org A guess or extrapolation is science, but it SHOULD NOT be overstated as if 'fact.' The problem with a lot of scientists and science readers is that they don't pay attention to what is substantiated vs. what is a 'best guess.' Many scientists pseudo-scientists would argue it is not, when in fact, it is not a fact that everybody or anybody can verify with a couple of classes. That college class simply does not exist. Fact.
I refer you to Stripe, who would require you not to share opinions but provide evidence against the specific biological claim you are making. The word 'clues' is used in popular science writing as a substitute for 'painstaking work by scientists to collect evidence'. In regards to mammalian evolution, it depends what standards you wish your opinion to uphold, but any reasonable interpretation says it's more than substantiated. There is substance in the evidence for it, unlike the content of laypeople's opinion.

It's been two seconds: show me the results of a split from a duckbill platypus. Not even 100 years will do it.
What are you asking me to show you?

We literally have no transitional species.
The most famous example of transitional species comes from horse evolution, which is unusually well represented in the fossil record. The problem with the term 'transitional species' is that every species is transitional, either to modified descendants, or on the way to extinction, which is the overwhelmingly more likely outcome.

There is no 'aquatic' panda-like creature FROM a panda. No Galapagos iguana has grown flippers. Those involved in science MUST look at all data, not just base ideas on whims and call it 'science education.' Such is irresponsible.
Perhaps you could explain how your speculation above relates to adaptation to be suited for survival and reproduction in a given environment. For example, why would you ask about a modern species giving rise to another non-existent modern species? What selection pressure are you suggesting should have acted but hasn't that would produce aquatic versions of these animals?

A brick wall and a cement foundation are 'related' not derivative of one another.
Can you justify that as an analogy for a biological process?

It is 'making it up' to try and put pieces in a puzzle that are missing and there is a LOT missing.
Once again, you may form opinions as you wish.

Creationism is science' best friend at the moment. It challenges truth from theory and helps science to be better and weed out all the pesky conjecture. In short, all of this discussion on TOL is very good both for science and theology, however exasperated any particular gets.
As an example of creationism being helpful, could you give us a recent example of a creationist source being cited by a paper in Nature or another professional journal of biology?

It is my estimation that there are plenty of missing pieces in both science speculation and the Biblical account that we can all be a bit more humble and present evidence rather than bold assertions. I was presented with a LOT of bold assertions in science and Bible classes. A good mind will necessarily question bold assertions, regardless of where they come from.
You are absolutely right to challenge bold assertions. Have you, yourself, ever challenged the bold assertion made in Genesis 2:7? If so, what was the outcome?

Stuart

Stuu

Welcome to the conversation on common descent.
Sorry... but that same evidence points to a common DESIGNER and not common descent.
I don't see why you would exclude common descent. Either are possible explanations. What evidence leads you to rule out common ancestry as an explanation for an identical genetic mechanism in all species?

And... since you've rejected your Creator... you have no other option than to assume your bogus common descent fairy tale.
I'd make a cheap retort in return, but the asymmetrical rules of the forum preclude it.

Stuart

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
According to the date stamp on your post, you posted this on 23 October, 10:59 PM:

Would you like me to replace your fallacious strawman argument with an explanation for how populations evolve?

Stuart

Obviously, as you and I both understand, I've not said anything fallacious. And if you really thought I had done so, you'd have simply tried to lay out, by direct quotation of my words, exactly what it is I have said that you are specifically calling "your fallacious strawman argument", and you'd have tried to explain why you thought it fallacious. I'm writing this post on 25 October, about 40 hours since you wrote your post, and, so far, you've not done this. You've not tried to specify exactly what is you pretend to be complaining about. Why? Because, again, you do not really believe I said anything fallacious. Obviously, as you and I both understand, you've got absolutely nothing to throw at me. You, once again, show yourself to be a clown by pretending to ask me to request you to explain something, when you and I know perfectly well that--contrary to your ridiculous pretense--you have no explanation to offer, whatsoever, for anything.

Now, is this, or is it not something you would claim: that, so long as there have been humans on earth, there has been a number of humans no smaller than about 10,000?

Remember, this is what your fellow Darwin cheerleader, Alate_One, has claimed:

the current scientific consensus is humans never got below a population of about 10,000 individuals.

And, of course, you're on record as having claimed the very stupidity which I have pilloried in the title of this thread (A stupidity of Darwinism: "There was never a time when there were only two humans!"):

There never was a time when there was only 1 human, or only 2.

In one of my previous posts in this thread, I gave a timeline diagram of what it would look like for there always have been--since there have been any humans on earth, at all--a number of humans no less than n.

If you want to say, like Alate_One, that the number of humans, n, is "about 10,000", then what you are therein handing us (whether you like it or not) is that, at every point in time along the red division of this timeline, there is no less than about 10,000 humans on earth. And, unless you're stoned out of your mind on drugs (and I do not assume that you are not), you can see the necessary abruptness of the transition from 0 humans to some number of humans no less than "about 10,000". That abruptness is well illustrated by the timeline's sudden transition from yellow to red.

If you want to further make a clown of yourself by lying--by pretending that you think this timeline does not accurately depict a scenario wherein there has never been less than n humans on earth since there were any at all--then, by all means, feel free to design and present a timeline diagram of your own, to show us just how you imagine it "really" is to be depicted. If my memory serves, I believe I've already presented this challenge, in this thread, at least once, and yet, after however many weeks (I forget), so far not even one of your fellow Darwin cheerleaders has tried to meet it.

As for your saying, "an explanation for how populations evolve", you can go ahead an can it with that shtick. For, you've demonstrated time and again that you use slogans like "populations evolve" wholly meaninglessly (just as you use its individual component words, "populations" and "evolve" wholly meaninglessly), and that you have nothing to explain, and that, even if you had something to explain, you're manifestly incompetent to explain anything. I certainly don't call you Darwin cheerleaders "Darwin cheerleaders" for no reason.

Would you like me to....?

Stop being a clown. If you really feel you have something to explain, and if you really feel you are competent to explain something, then don't sit there like a poser and say, "Would you like me to explain ____?" By doing that, you're only more loudly advertising that you're an attention-begging poser who knows full well that you can't explain a bloomin' thing. Instead, try to show some dignity, some self-respect, and just be out with whatever "explanation" you pretend to have.

Right Divider

Body part
Welcome to the conversation on common descent.

I don't see why you would exclude common descent.
I exclude based on what God (the Designer) said that He did.

Either are possible explanations. What evidence leads you to rule out common ancestry as an explanation for an identical genetic mechanism in all species?
I exclude based on what God (the Designer) said that He did.

There is no evidence that all life descended from a single common ancestor.

There is evidence, from the Creator, that all life is descended from the originally created kinds.

7djengo7

its clear your knowledge and understanding of evolution is less than basic. Got any junior colleges near you? Start there. Work your way up

Please tell me what course of "education" got you "up" where you are today, Professor--and through what "educational" institutions your mind has been processed and degenerated into the sad shape you're in today. That way, I'll know just how to avoid wasting the time and money you obviously wasted. Your "educational" experience has left you, among other things, wholly incompetent to impart "basic" "knowledge and understanding of evolution" to mere nobodies from nowhere like me, who ask you simple, elementary questions that invariably trip you up and embarrass you. Your telling me "Go ask someone who is not me to teach you!" is nothing other than you advertising, loudly and clearly, "I know nothing, so I can teach you nothing!" which, in turn, is you advertising that your "education" by Darwinist cheerleaders has been worse than useless to you. You're a textbook example of someone who obviously got nothing from the textbooks on which you wasted lots of (likely not even your own) money. Now, that's only partly an indictment against you, for being the sucker you are for the time you willingly wasted; some share of the blame goes to the textbooks, themselves, for having nothing to give you but more mental degradation.

Stuu

Now, is this, or is it not something you would claim: that, so long as there have been humans on earth, there has been a number of humans no smaller than about 10,000?
Yes. It's possible it dipped below 10,000 following a bottleneck event about 75,000 years ago, but in principle it would be doubtful that humans would have made it if the total number ever dropped much lower than 10,000.
fetch

...feel free to design and present a timeline diagram of your own, to show us just how you imagine it "really" is to be depicted.
Sure. (Here's some crude ASCII art):

<---(A)--no humans on earth ------(C)--accumulation of human traits in protohuman population of several thousands------(B)-- no fewer than 10,000 humans on earth--->

Stuart

Stuu

I exclude based on what God (the Designer) said that He did... I exclude based on what God (the Designer) said that He did.
And what has this god 'said' about what was done, specifically regarding DNA?

There is no evidence that all life descended from a single common ancestor.
I'll repeat the first example of evidence for common descent for you from my post #71:
"The first important piece of evidence for common descent is the fact that all living species use the same system to store and transmit their genetic code, and the molecular machinery of any one species can read the DNA of any other species."

There is evidence, from the Creator, that all life is descended from the originally created kinds.
This evidence requires evidence of the creator whose anecdote you are retelling.

Stuart

7djengo7

Nope, 7 has shown no basic background.

I'm right here. Teach me, Professor Poser.

he needs some remedial education before any rational discussion.

So, please provide "some remedial education", Professor Poser. I'm right here. Why can't you teach what you claim to know? Because you're a poser, Professor Poser.

What you call "education" is obviously something that is inimical to a pupil's (such as me) asking questions of his preceptors (Darwin cheerleaders like yourself), since you cowardly posers invariably stonewall against and flee from the questions I've asked you, and resort to whatever ploy you can pull out of your pathetically meager arsenal of trite, formulaic reaction measures for trying to divert attention away from the questions I've asked you. Obviously, in real life (as opposed to the irrational conception in your debased mind as a Darwin cheerleader) nothing worthy of the name "education" could ever dispense with questioning by inquisitive, curious minds--and lots of it. And you're obviously far from being an inquisitive, curious mind.

Your ploy, here, is the same shtick that every other Darwin cheerleader, without exception, perpetually tries (in uniform futility) to use against those of us who embarrass you by asking simple, fundamental questions you can't answer: "You just don't understand science. Go get yourself educated by someone who is not me."