A Challenge or Stripe - Can you defend one aspect of Creation Science of your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I have never heard anyone say such a thing. I would suggest most people accept Jesus as Lord and Savior do believe in evolution initially.

Certainly not! And, a understanding of science in no way precludes accepting Genesis as historically accurate and the foundation of the Gospel.
Yes, Genesis is the foundation of the Gospel. That does not mean that it is a 100% accurate history.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Rabbit trails.
Aside form the fact that is yet another violation of the terms for this discussion, these are rabit trails of your creation.

I stated that one of the ways we study history is through multiple accounts of the same event.

You stated that there are multiple accounts but that Genesis was far and away the best. Since you said these other events are historical accounts, we need to determine how you arrived at the conclusion that Genesis is the best. We need to know if you actually consider the other creation accounts as actual history or if you see them as legends.

Please explain to us if these other creation accounts are historical or not. Please explain to us how you determined that Genesis is the best account.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Obviously less than 4500 year.
These are the statements that get you into trouble. You made a declarative statement without any offer of support and expect it to be accepted as universal truth. The trouble is, it is anything but obvious. Take Barnenez, France. It was started in 4850BC. In France. That makes it roughly 6960 years old, about a thousand years older than a 6000 year old Earth allows for. If we allow even a little flexibility in the 6000 year creation timeline, at best, it would mean that while Adam and Eve were walking in the Garden of Eden, somebody was in France building this thing.

6days

Cabinet Maker said:
Most of what you wrote is not in scripture. You used logic to fill in the missing information. You arrived at a series of conclusions that may or may not be an accurate representation of history.
I asked you to explain what was incorrect... not to just repeat that i might be wrong. What specifically is not scriptural?
I said...

* Eve is the mother of all

* Adam and Eve had at least seven kids

* Brother sister marriage was forbade in Levitical law

6days

Cabinetmaker said:
These are the statements that get you into trouble. You made a declarative statement without any offer of support and expect it to be accepted as universal truth.
I don't expect everyone to accept God's Word as absolute truth. Sadly, many Christians prefer mans opinions, rather than God's Word.

Cabinetmaker said:
The trouble is, it is anything but obvious. Take Barnenez, France. It was started in 4850BC. In France. That makes it roughly 6960 years old, about a thousand years older than a 6000 year old Earth allows for.
Rather than accept the clear history set out in God's Word, you accept secular reasoning. For example, if you trust the C14 date of 6850 at Barnenez, do you also trust the C14 date of 28,000 years on soft dino tissue? These C14 dates are consistent with expectations when you trust the Biblical flood model and the disruption to C14 / C12 ratios.

Trust the history God has given us Cabinetmaker, and you won't get into trouble.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I don't expect everyone to accept God's Word as absolute truth. Sadly, many Christians prefer mans opinions, rather than God's Word.

Rather than accept the clear history set out in God's Word, you accept secular reasoning. For example, if you trust the C14 date of 6850 at Barnenez, do you also trust the C14 date of 28,000 years on soft dino tissue? These C14 dates are consistent with expectations when you trust the Biblical flood model and the disruption to C14 / C12 ratios.

Trust the history God has given us Cabinetmaker, and you won't get into trouble.
I trust the history God has left for us to find.

One of the troubles with trusting Genesis blindly is that it makes God a liar. It means that He intentionally created a world specifically designed to look much older than it really is. Why would God do that?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I asked you to explain what was incorrect... not to just repeat that i might be wrong. What specifically is not scriptural?
I said...

* Eve is the mother of all

* Adam and Eve had at least seven kids

* Brother sister marriage was forbade in Levitical law

Its not whats right that's problematic, its what may be wrong that is being offered as fact that's problematic.

6days

Cabinetmaker said:
I trust the history God has left for us to find.
You absolutely don't! You reject the written history He provided for us. And you trust secular opinions which reject both God and His Word....and the evidence from His creation.

Cabinetmaker said:
One of the troubles with trusting Genesis blindly is that it makes God a liar. It means that He intentionally created a world specifically designed to look much older than it really is. Why would God do that?

You reject God's Word..... you reject the evidence from His creation....and then you call Him a liar.

Cabinetmaker..... how old was Eve when God introduced her to Adam? Do you think Adam called God a liar saying 'she sure looks more than 2 minutes old'. Or, did Adam gaze at Eve's navel calling God a liar for giving her a belly button? That is exactly what you are doing..... you are looking at things like distant starlight, radiometric dating etc; then calling God a liar. The world around us does not look old.

And... sorry for butting in on your thread. I will now bow out. :)

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You absolutely don't! You reject the written history He provided for us. And you trust secular opinions which reject both God and His Word....and the evidence from His creation.
I said I trust the evidence He left for us to find.

You reject God's Word..... you reject the evidence from His creation....and then you call Him a liar.
You misrepresent what I said and neglect to address the point I raise. Your response is completely non-responsive.

Cabinetmaker..... how old was Eve when God introduced her to Adam? Do you think Adam called God a liar saying 'she sure looks more than 2 minutes old'. Or, did Adam gaze at Eve's navel calling God a liar for giving her a belly button? That is exactly what you are doing..... you are looking at things like distant starlight, radiometric dating etc; then calling God a liar. The world around us does not look old.
I think Adam looked at Eve and gave thanks to God for creating Him a wonderful helper. I do not honestly think that Adam and Eve cared one iota for geology. fossils, or how far away the stars are. They cared for each other and for the garden. We could learn much from their example.

And... sorry for butting in on your thread. I will now bow out. :)
Please, hang around. If Stripe is true to form, he is pretty much done with this thread.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Then nothing in the Bible is true.

Why would you think that? I don't. But then, everything in the Bible is not intended to be taken literally. For instance, do you hate hate your wife, mother, father, brothers and sisters?

[h=1]Luke 14:26-27New International Version (NIV)[/h] 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe is classifying those events as history, not creation science.
Nope.

The question posed to you was: Is Genesis an account of history?

You have to attribute to me ideas I have actually endorsed, not make things up.

Aside form the fact that is yet another violation of the terms for this discussion, these are rabit trails of your creation.
Nope.

This is what happens when people challenge your irrational nonsense; you double down on your errors and pretend the other guy has failed. Meanwhile, the topic gets ignored.

Is the account of Joseph accurate?

I stated that one of the ways we study history is through multiple accounts of the same event.
Nope. You insisted that there needs to be more than one account for something to be studied.

You stated that there are multiple accounts but that Genesis was far and away the best. Since you said these other events are historical accounts, we need to determine how you arrived at the conclusion that Genesis is the best. We need to know if you actually consider the other creation accounts as actual history or if you see them as legends.
Nope.

You're just desperate to avoid a rational conversation.

Please explain to us if these other creation accounts are historical or not. Please explain to us how you determined that Genesis is the best account.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it were to be an accidemic historical discussion then we would need more than one account.

This statement is utterly untrue. It's like you just invent rules so you can demand sources and evidence when the poor saps you engage with call you on it.

You got called on this statement. This statement needed to be retracted, then your entire line of argumentation is rendered irrelevant, because correcting your falsehoods can be dispensed with and perhaps we can get on topic.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Nope.

The question posed to you was: Is Genesis an account of history?

You have to attribute to me ideas I have actually endorsed, not make things up.

Nope.

This is what happens when people challenge your irrational nonsense; you double down on your errors and pretend the other guy has failed. Meanwhile, the topic gets ignored.

Nope. You insisted that there needs to be more than one account for something to be studied.

Nope.

I'm desperate to avoid conversation!? I have asked you defend your statement and all say is nope, nope, nope. How can you say I'm avoiding conversation when you won't answer a simple question?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
This statement is utterly untrue. It's like you just invent rules so you can demand sources and evidence when the poor saps you engage with call you on it.

You got called on this statement. This statement needed to be retracted, then your entire line of argumentation is rendered irrelevant, because correcting your falsehoods can be dispensed with and perhaps we can get on topic.
Why is the statement "utterly untrue"? How do you think history is investigated? By consensus? By decree? Yes, you called my on this and no, I do not need to retract my statement. You called me and I explained my reasoning. You don't seem to agree with me but you will not answer how you think history should be conducted.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Here red is your original statement regarding creation accounts.

Sure. There are plenty of creation accounts. None of them stack up to Genesis though.

Are all of these accounts accurate historical accounts of creation?
If not, how did you determine that Genesis is the best?
If none of these other accounts are historical, then can you honestly say we have multiple histories of creation to compare and examine?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm desperate to avoid conversation!?
Nope.

Once again, you need to respond to what I do say, not something you've invented.

I have asked you defend your statement and all say is nope, nope, nope. How can you say I'm avoiding conversation when you won't answer a simple question?
Easy. I didn't accuse you of avoiding conversation. That would be silly. You've put out enough conversation to sink a ship.

Why is the statement "utterly untrue"?
How about you tell us why we need more than one account to discuss the historical value of a document, or point to an expert who has said this. :up:

It's not up to me to show reasons that something you've invented is not true.

Here red is your original statement regarding creation accounts.
Nope. This was to explain how useless your objection to my "History" post was. What you need to do is retract your nonsense assertion that there needs to be more than one account — there doesn't need to be, and your invention is useless because there is more than one — and then get with the program:

C: Why not evolution?
S: Genesis is history.
C: Genesis is history, but not accurate.
S: Is the Joseph account accurate?

Your move. :up:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Nope.

Once again, you need to respond to what I do say, not something you've invented

Easy. I didn't accuse you of avoiding conversation. That would be silly. You've put out enough conversation to sink a ship..
Then let me remind you of exactly what you did say:
Looks like you DID say I am desperate to avoid rational conversation.
You've asked this question several times so here is a direct answer. You will not like the answer, but here it is.
As a matter of personal faith, yes.
As a matter of documented and verified history, no.

How about you tell us why we need more than one account to discuss the historical value of a document, or point to an expert who has said this. :up:
Answer these questions, that you ignored previously (once again violating the terms you agreed to abide by), and you will have a better understanding of why we try so hard to verify history through archaeology and other methods.
How do you think history is investigated?
By consensus?
By decree?
Is it important to you to verify that the history recorded in books is supported by artifacts?

It's not up to me to show reasons that something you've invented is not true.
Actually, it is. When you make a positive, declaritive statement the burden of proof lies with you to support your claim. Simply saying, "You're wrong!" is nothing more than an emotional and irrational statement.. Saying, "You're wrong because of ..." and then listing your supporting points would form a rational argument.

Nope. This was to explain how useless your objection to my "History" post was. What you need to do is retract your nonsense assertion that there needs to be more than one account — there doesn't need to be, and your invention is useless because there is more than one
As soon as you give me a rational reason for retracting my statement, I will.

— and then get with the program:

Your move. :up:

You have a lot of unsupported assertions and questions that you have not answered up to this point. It is pointless to introduce new points until you have addressed what is already before you.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like you DID say I am desperate to avoid rational conversation.
Yep. :up:

Is the Joseph account accurate?
As a matter of documented and verified history, no.
:AMR:

Do you just use long words for filler without considering meaning? How on Earth is the documentation of Joseph's story not "documented"?

And I'm not asking for it to be "verified," that you think it is inaccurate is enough. We have advanced the conversation. :thumb:

C: No.

Why do you think it is not accurate?

Actually, it is. When you make a positive, declaritive statement the burden of proof lies with you to support your claim.
Great. So provide evidence that your "positive, declarative statement" is justified. :up:

You "positively declared" that "If it were to be an [academic] historical discussion, then we would need more than one account" of creation. It is your job to provide evidence, not latch on to a challenge to your assertion and then demand evidence from your opponent.

C: No.
S: Why do you think it is not accurate?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yep. :up:

Is the Joseph account accurate?

:AMR:
Do try to keep up. I said that it is not a document and verified event in history. There is nothing in Egyptian writings that supports that Joseph was in Egypt. There is speculation that he might have been Imhotep, but that is nothing more than speculation at this time.

So as a matter of HISTORY, I cannot conclude that it is an accurate account.

{quote]Do you just use long words for filler without considering meaning? How on Earth is the documentation of Joseph's story not "documented"?[/quote]You have a single account that is not supported by anything else. The Egyptians did record events from this period yet there is nothing in that historical account that supports the story of Joseph. That is why I say it is unverified. I amend my statement to say that there is only a single document that contains the story of Joseph to which you refer.

And I'm not asking for it to be "verified," that you think it is inaccurate is enough. We have advanced the conversation. :thumb:
You should be because your chosen subject is history. History is a subject that requires verification to be offered ans settled fact. So far, you have not provided any supporting evidence for your assertion that Genesis is an accurate history. That is why Genesis is not taught in schools as a history of the world. If you can provide some evidence that Genesis is indeed an history of the world then I would imagine that schools would have to change their curriculum to adjust for that. Are you up to that task?

Status
Not open for further replies.