87 dead after crane collapses at Mecca

Nazaroo

11934657_534640943359360_1819948183_n.jpg

87 dead after crane collapses at world’s holiest mosque in Mecca

Published time: 11 Sep, 2015 16:36Edited time: 11 Sep, 2015 19:38
Get short URL

© Ali Al Qarni / Reuters

At least 87 people have died after a crane collapsed on the Grand Mosque of Mecca on Friday, Saudi authorities say.
According to Saudi Interior Ministry, at least 184 more people were injured in the incident.
The tragedy comes ahead of the annual Hajj pilgrimage which is due later this month. Millions of Muslims from around the world will converge on the holy city between September 21-26.
Local media reports suggested that the accident occurred due to heavy rains the Kingdom. The governor of the Makkah region, the capital of which is Mecca, Khalid al-Faisal has ordered the launch of an investigation into the causes of the accident.
Photos taken from the scene and posted on social media show bodies lying in blood on the mosque’s floor surrounded by construction rubble and metal parts of the crane.
جانب من عمليات الإنقاذ في الحرم المكي. pic.twitter.com/b5JWWfjxcS
— الدفاع المدني (@KSA_998) September 11, 2015
The project to expand the mosque was launched in 2011 by late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. Earlier in 2015, King Salman bin Abdulaziz added five construction projects as part of the mosque’s expansion aiming to accommodate more than 1.6 million worshippers.
The projects cover 1.47 million square meters and include the construction of 78 new gates at ground level, according to the official Saudi Press Agency. The project and is being carried out by the Saudi Binladin Group at an estimated cost of US$26.6 billion, according to local press.
The Grand Mosque, or Sacred Mosque, surrounds the Kaaba – the most sacred site in Islam. The cuboid structure made of granite located in the mosque’s center is often called the House of Allah.
The Kaaba is the place of the Hajj – the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, which is one of the five Pillars of Islam. It is mandatory of all Muslims physically and financially capable to carry out the journey at least once in a lifetime. The period of Hajj in Mecca is considered to be one of the largest gatherings of people in the world.

There have previously been fatal events during the Hajj period in Mecca, mostly due to the overflow of pilgrims at Islam’s holiest site. Among the latest was a stampede on the last day of the Hajj in 2006, which killed at least 346 people and injured at least 289 more. Other fatal incidents have been due to a bomb explosion, protests, fires, traffic incidents and diseases, including MERS.

musterion

BushCheneyHaliburtonAcme had that hurricane machine that caused Katrina just to kill black folks, so maybe Obama has some old BushCheneyHaliburtonAcme satellite lightning guns.

Wait, a Muslim wouldn't risk damaging the big black rock.

musterion

As Christians we are to love those that hate us. All humans are born sinners and if it wasn't for the grace of God we could have been in the same situation as they.

True.

And still, almost every single Muslim in Mecca would personally cut your screaming head off, or stand by with approval as someone else did.

Lexington'96

True.

And still, almost every single Muslim in Mecca would personally cut your screaming head off, or stand by with approval as someone else did.

I've heard very conflicting figures concerning the percentage of Muslims who are radical, but I imagine Saudi Arabia would have an even higher than usual percentage of them.

And that is all the more reason to pray for them. If God can save Saul of Tarsus he can save anyone.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've heard very conflicting figures concerning the percentage of Muslims who are .

Actually, it is because you are liberal in your heart and hear what you want to hear. You can't help yourself. They all agree with al-qaeda. They are all not jihadists. They support the jihadists.

Lexington'96

1 Corinthians 16

22 If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come!

Matthew 5:44, Luke 6:27, I could find others but you get the point.

Actually, it is because you are liberal in your heart and hear what you want to hear.

I must be the world's only pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-constitution, pro-limited government, anti-16th Amendment liberal.

You can't help yourself. They all agree with al-qaeda. They are all not jihadists. They support the jihadists.

If they all agree with Al Qaeda then why are there Muslims who are fighting them? I agree that radicalization is a major problem in that religion but they do not all want to kill you.

love-your-enemies.jpg

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
As Christians we are to love those that hate us. All humans are born sinners and if it wasn't for the grace of God we could have been in the same situation as they.

It is the law of life my friend...sow to the wind and reap the whirlwind. Sorry, my heart does not break for the wicked, nor will I weep or lose sleep at their calamity...I call it God's justice.