24 Men and Women to Live on Mars

fool

Hall of Fame
This project will go nowhere. We currently do not have the space technology to even get to Mars let alone live there. Also, these people have not thought this through. Lets assume that they actually reach Mars and build a settlement. What they have not considered is how the Martian environment will adversely affect their bodies.

Mars has only has 38% gravity of the Earth. This low gravity will do screwy things to their bodies like reduce bone density and induce muscle atrophy. In essence their bodies will weaken. What will happen to any children born on Mars? How will this low gravity affect a woman's pregnancy?

We could send fat people?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't worry patrick, this "project" is just a publicity stunt. NASA has not and will never give them money. Now if this group said they were going to colonize the Moon at least that is within the realm of possibility.

I would settle for sending 24 liberals to the moon to never return. Can I pick them?

The Berean

Typical Congressional nonsense! :rotfl:

Congress wants to send a person to Mars — but doesn't want to pay the bill

This part confirms what I posted earlier, that a manned Martian mission won't be possible until the mid-to-late 2030's at the absolute earliest. This is a quote from NASA's Inspector General Paul Martin:

Even after the SLS and Orion are fully developed and ready to transport crew NASA will continue to face significant challenges concerning the long-term sustainability of its human exploration program. For example, unless NASA begins a program to develop landers and surface systems its astronauts will be limited to orbital missions of Mars. Given the time and money necessary to develop these systems, it is unlikely that NASA would be able to conduct any manned surface exploration missions until the late 2030s at the earliest.

The Berean

I couldn't find any info on astronaut/cosmonaut/sinonaut weights to find out who is the heaviest person to ever go into space. I did find out that former NASA astronaut Jim Wetherbee (flew 5 Shuttle missions) is 6'4". He must weigh at least 200 lbs just looking at this photo (far right).

125954.jpg

The Berean

The Mars One plan is totally delusional

Despite those beautiful images of swirling red clouds and sprawling landscapes, Mars is an barren desert that is incredibly inhospitable to life.
Indeed, temperatures around minus 67 degrees Fahrenheit, a near total lack of atmosphere to protect from deadly radiation, and regular violent dust storms lead most experts to believe that a human colony on the red planet in the foreseeable future would be very difficult and extremely expensive.

And so when a company like Mars One says we can start a human colony on Mars in 10 years with a $6 billion budget, it is laughable.

"I don't want to get in their (Mars One’s) way, but I'm skeptical that it can be accomplished on the timescale that they say," Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History and host of the new National Geographic show StarTalkTV, told Business Insider.

Mars One doesn’t own any of its own space travel technology and has no existing contracts with companies that do. It plans to send four people at a time to start setting up a colony, and it plans to finance these missions through a reality TV show starring the colonizers, but no broadcast partners have been announced.

“It looks like a scam,” John Logsdon, a space policy expert at George Washington University, told BuzzFeed News.