Theology Club: can ya help a brother out

glorydaz

You and I obviously differ on this.

There is nothing mystical about the Spirit's leading one to an understanding on one thing or another - other than the mysticism many conclude is behind those findings of theirs that the Spirit has led them to; simply through time in His completed Word.

Nothing mystical about the leading of the Spirit?

Then I feel sorry for you, Danoh. Something as simple as the Peace of God is nothing short of mystical...miraculous....beyond the natural.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.​

Danoh

Nothing mystical about the leading of the Spirit?

Then I feel sorry for you, Danoh. Something as simple as the Peace of God is nothing short of mystical...miraculous....beyond the natural.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.​

No need to feel sorry for me; my faith is founded on an objective understanding of the things that differ.

This is the source of the kind of peace that is then able to surpass all understanding that the Apostle Paul is referring to in that passage.

Understanding...applied.

As in the verse you left out...

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

That results in the "it is well with my soul" kind of rest in the fact that God is at work in the inward man by His Spirit through His rightly divided Word believed in, no matter what comes one's way.

Just any old prayer?

Nope.

1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11,12

glorydaz

No need to feel sorry for me; my faith is founded on an objective understanding of the things that differ.

This is the source of the kind of peace that is then able to surpass all understanding that the Apostle Paul is referring to in that passage.

Understanding...applied.

As in the verse you left out...

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

That results in the "it is well with my soul" kind of rest in the fact that God is at work in the inward man by His Spirit through His rightly divided Word believed in, no matter what comes one's way.

Just any old prayer?

Nope.

1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Yet you negate the "pray with the spirit" part....too mystical for you?

No, Danoh, you're just so intent on sounding right that you ignore the fact that the Spirit does, indeed, open our understanding. Like others, I have read verses for years when suddenly a deeper and greater meaning is opened to my understanding. I wouldn't trade all the head knowledge in the world or all the hours about "how to study" for even one moment of truth as revealed by the Spirit. For that still small voice....

You may have the great wind, and the earthquake, and the fire....but the Lord is not there.

1 Kings 19:11-13
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?​

Danoh

Yet you negate the "pray with the spirit" part....too mystical for you?

No, Danoh, you're just so intent on sounding right that you ignore the fact that the Spirit does, indeed, open our understanding. Like others, I have read verses for years when suddenly a deeper and greater meaning is opened to my understanding. I wouldn't trade all the head knowledge in the world or all the hours about "how to study" for even one moment of truth as revealed by the Spirit. For that still small voice....

You may have the great wind, and the earthquake, and the fire....but the Lord is not there.

1 Kings 19:11-13
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?​

That's just you in your ignorance of your obvious mysticism.

To pray with the spirit merely refers to using one's mind objectively; to pray with one's understanding.

As usual, you miss the obvious - how that the Scripture often defines what it is actually referring to by repeating it in different words - often in a same passage.

He was referring to "the mind of the spirit."

Which is where one minds a thing from. As in "I've a mind to" this and that...

Do a word and thematic study on it - in the Scripture (words and similar words, phrases, and themes).

While, I am at it; thanks for your challenge.

For though it is obvious that you continue to conclude this is about pride for me; I find that having to reflect on these things once more, in response to your view, a worthwhile endeavor.

Puts me back in the Word, studying these things out anew, and rejoicing in them all over again and in what new found further understandings and rejoicing that often results in.

Thus, my often citing of Prov. 27:17.

Try heeding Rom. 12:1-3, instead of merely paying it lip service. Yours is a personal issue with me.

That is your loss, not mine; for I continue not only free of that kind of thing but able to learn from you, as a result, where you have something time in the Scripture then shows me was sound.

glorydaz

That's just you in your ignorance of your obvious mysticism.

To pray with the spirit merely refers to using one's mind objectively; to pray with one's understanding.

As usual, you miss the obvious - how that the Scripture often defines what it is actually referring to by repeating it in different words - often in a same passage.

He was referring to "the mind of the spirit."

Which is where one minds a thing from. As in "I've a mind to" this and that...

Do a word and thematic study on it - in the Scripture (words and similar words, phrases, and themes).

While, I am at it; thanks for your challenge.

For though it is obvious that you continue to conclude this is about pride for me; I find that having to reflect on these things once more, in response to your view, a worthwhile endeavor.

Puts me back in the Word, studying these things out anew, and rejoicing in them all over again and in what new found further understandings and rejoicing that often results in.

Thus, my often citing of Prov. 27:17.

Try heeding Rom. 12:1-3, instead of merely paying it lip service. Yours is a personal issue with me.

That is your loss, not mine; for I continue not only free of that kind of thing but able to learn from you, as a result, where you have something time in the Scripture then shows me was sound.

Your mental gymnastics are getting closer to mind boggling with each passing day, Danoh, my lad. You put me in mind of a new believer and his desire to teach. Such exuberance.

Save your "explanations" for those who have a desire to learn about God from Bible College. I remain unimpressed.