• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Bacterial resistance to antibiotics- what is the Creationist explanation?

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Dolphins don't have legs.

True. Does that bother you?

Why did your designer give them hip bones?

Seeing as dolphins don't have legs, why do you say dolphins have hip bones? What would you say constitutes something a hip bone? What would you say is the sine qua non of being a hip bone--what would you say is that without which a thing is not a hip bone?

Omniskeptical

BANNED
Banned
As most of us are aware, many bacteria have developed resistance to antibiotics. The usual scientific explanation is an evolutionary one, with selection being the driving force to improved survival (of the bacteria). How do Creationists explain this phenomenon?
Yes, the selection here is caused by humans- but that doesn't make any difference as far as the mechanism is concerned. If you think random mutation and natural selection cannot generate improved traits- how does this happen? How do the bacteria become resistant to antibiotics?

Bacteria cannot adapt to all antibiotics. Tuberculosis, for example, is very susceptible to aspirin.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If it looks like design

Then there was probably a designer.

Occam's razor, and all...

Even YOU admit that there is, at the very least, the "illusion" of design. I'm simply saying that it's not an illusion.

then you have already made a judgement about how good it is as biological engineering.

Non Sequitur. A design can exist regardless of how good it is at any point in time.

It's not the optimum design

No one claimed that the design was optimum at the current time. The claim is that God designed things perfectly, and that He also provided a way to renew the biological systems so that they would run at or near 100% efficiency, but that since that time they have been subjected to thousands of years of decay and degradation.

if even us mere humans can see how it could have been done better.

For example?

In fact corrective surgery is commonplace, right?

Yes, "corrective," which implies there's something wrong with it's current state, but has nothing to do with how it was originally designed. Such problems fit in perfectly with our position, that things were created perfectly, but have been subject to decay and degradation.

I'm sure you understand that Leviticus 11:13-19 is wrong: bats are not birds.

This is a historian's fallacy.

Our eyes are wired with the light-sensitive retina cells facing the back of the eye, with the blood supply running across the front side, where the light is coming through. If you stare at a bright cloud long enough you can even see the individual blood cells moving in little arcs in time with your heart beat. Octopus eyes are wired the 'right way' round. The blood supply comes into the cells at the back. Why didn't your god use octopus eye wiring in mammals?

Easy. Because octopi live in the ocian, where it's generally darker, and are not subject to bright flashes of light on a regular basis, whereas humans are.

If you were to shine a flashlight into an octopus's eyes, it would be blinded for a few hours, but because such a thing will rarely happen, the fast healing is not needed. Do the same to a human, and while it may temporarily blind the person, within a few minutes, their eyes will have healed and they will be able to see again.

Octopi do not need that functionality, thus the different (and not "backwards" that evolutionists (such as yourself) like to claim it is) design between the two types of eyes.

So you see you can't have it both ways.

Sure you can.

Is it a principle that the code was copied for the same purpose in different species, or was it just sometimes?

I don't know. Probably won't until I can ask God after I die or after I'm raptured, whichever comes first.

Would you say this god [is] the highest ideal in anything, the most impressive possible?

The effect cannot be greater than the cause.

Australian Douglas Gasking:

Who?

A non-existent creator is greater than one which exists, so God does not exist.

A non-existent creator doesn't exist, by definition, and therefore cannot be anything at all, let alone greater than something or someone that does exist.

Sounds like Mr. Gasking is (was?) a very confused person.

Off topic question, but what was the flood all about then?

Wiping the slate because man was so wicked.

Did that not fix the problem?

Which problem? Please be more specific.

Yes, it is.

Which makes you somewhat of a hypocrite for condemning the lists that RD posted in the other thread.

And I acknowledge your criticism of the Gish Gallop. But the difference is that I would accept you taking them one at a time. Or even just pick one to criticise.

RE: the other thread, Do you think that we (RD and I and others) wouldn't be the same if you did so with the provided lists?

Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated with the plantaris muscle because it does have an important function in the other apes and in monkeys to aid in the grasping of tree branches.

Could it have any other possible function? or is that the only function that it has?

Since it was a long time ago that our ancestors lived in trees, it has been a long time since we needed to grasp branches in the same way.

There you go question begging again. Please stop assuming that which you are trying to prove, or at least word your statements to that effect.

Natural selection is in the last stages of eliminating this tissue as an unnecessary waste of energy, er...I mean because a human female ate literal or metaphorical taboo fruit a few thousand years ago somehow that means genetic information has been changed in a way that has atrophied the plantaris.

Do you just like making up straw man arguments? Or are you even aware that you're doing it?

But whichever it is, maybe there is a further part to your answer that explains why a perfectly engineering god would give us a muscle that never did anything useful.

How do you know it never did anything useful?

How do you know it does not do anything useful currently?

I think it is important to appreciate the definition of the term vestigial. Vestigial does not necessarily mean the part has no function, it can mean that the part has a changed function.

Thank you for conceding my point, because "changed function" still fits my positioni of "changed or reduced function."

Meantime, since the little bag can get dangerously infected, you would have to question an engineer that put a biological time bomb in your abdomen.

Since my position is that disease and degraded organs are the result of decay from perfection, and not part of the original design, this isn't an issue for me.

In other words, your challenge is merely a straw man against my position, because God did NOT put a biological time bomb into man's abdomen. Therefore your comment does not apply to God.

So it's not all beneficial engineering by a loving god.

Or, perhaps what you are trying to assert is my claim of design is NOT what I claim to be design, but rather is the natural consequence of a perfect system falling into disorder.

Some of it is about altering the common code so it makes medieval-style torture devices. Would that cover the appendix time-bomb as well?
I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

Up to 80% of humans get lower back pain,

Sorry, but there's more to it than just "lots of people get back pain, therefore poor design," and far too many factors that can cause lower back pain, such as poor form when lifting, disease, birth defects, and more, all of which fit my position of "formerly perfect creation falling into disorder."

not to mention the curvature of the spine in scoliosis.

You seem to keep forgetting that "disease" fits my position far better than it does yours.

The 'design' had the wrong-sized nerve holes for the material used for the discs.

Please show us the original spines that you seem to think you have that support your claim.

Because having an iteration of a perfect design that has been subject to thousands of years of degradation supports my position, not yours.

We have synthetic materials that would make much better discs. Were those things beyond this designer?

You realize you just shot yourself in the foot, right?

Read what you said again.

"Synthetic materials"

Think about that for a bit, and then explain why you think that such materials would easily be able to be created in a human (or other creature's) body.

Of course if you look at the real reason, it is that walking upright is relatively recent and natural selection is still working on it.

Question begging.

Back problems hit people more after reproductive age

"after reproductive age"

Maybe it's due to having sex and bearing children....

Just a thought...

so there might not be as much selection pressure to fix it.

Natural selection CANNOT SEE, let alone choose, which genes are selected,

And to top that off, I'll just quote David Gelertner:

[T]o help create a brand new form of organism, a mutation must affect a gene that does its job early and controls the expression of other genes that come into play later on as the organism grows. But mutations to these early-acting "strategic" genes, which create the big body-plan changes required by macro-evolution, seem to be invariably fatal... Evidently there are a total of no examples in the literature of mutations that affect early development and the body plan as a whole and are not fatal.

...if in doubt, blame Eve.

Rather, I'm simply acknowledging that actions have consequences. Adam and Eve's actions had far-reaching consequences.

I would have accepted 'no idea'. Of course, as you know I'll say, it's exactly the kind of thing natural selection would do: without any ability to plan it uses whatever 'design' it stumbles upon that will just do the job of allowing survival as far as successful reproduction, and that's it. I know some of the solutions look genius, but it's not genius it's just an inconceivably vast amount of accumulated trial and error, with mutation and sexual recombination providing the slightly altered options from which to select.

See above quote of Gelertner.

By the way...

* A (Thankfully) Picky Ovum: She's preferentially receptive to gametes that offer good copies of its own corrupted reproductive genes...

Research shows that the egg (ovum) attempts to select a sperm with good copies of its own corrupted genes
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Research shows that if the egg (ovum) has corrupted copies of its reproductive genes, it attempts to select a sperm with good copies of those degraded genes. So the ovum apparently can discern, out of about 20,000 genes scattered among billions of nucleotides, whether or not a sperm possesses a good version of one of its own damaged reproductive genes. (The genome modifies its expression in three dimensions based on the temporal needs of the cell or even of the entire organism. So RSR expects that the X and Y chromosomes will have manipulated their contents to insure that those relevant reproductive genes will not be deeply buried within but will be readily available on their surfaces.) This astounding ability to screen the sperm for good genes is consistent with other examples of extremely robust reproductive quality control design features. So the ovum prefers and admits the sperm with the healthier genes. Wow. Here at RSR we predict that this ability (like countless other biological functions and pieces of biological information) is not being controlled by genetic information within the DNA molecule itself but by some kind of "epigenetic" process. And, as California listener Randy Hayes often says, "How'd that evolve?" For, after all, unlike with genetic mutations, textbook neo-Darwinism doesn't even have a mechanism for explaining modifications to the exceedingly abundant and varied forms of non-genetic biological information.

https://kgov.com/bel/20190906

Route the plumbing through the playground? No problem, it'll get us through somehow. The result? A profession called consulting urologist.

Which doesn't address the point I made: Disease fits my position.

More medieval torture.

???

Eve's fault again. Why are other mammals punished as well?

That's a theology question. Pretty sure you're not interested in that discussion. I'm more than happy to tell you, but only if you say you're interested.

Stuu: That's 10 examples of stupid design that could easily have been fixed.

That's not what you said in each case. You gave several different answers,

To several different types of problems? Why wouldn't I?

from functional tissue to the utility of the design, all the way to intentionally malicious engineering

Please quote me where I said the engineering was malicious. Otherwise retract your false claim.

blamed on a mythical event involving a mythical snake (some of which, by the way, also have hip bones,

Apparently some snakes even had legs.

Let me see if I can find the article...

but at least that one is actually described in Genesis even if it is another example of attempted cruelty.).

Please stop with the broad, mocking statements and clarify what you're attacking.

The Judeo-christian scriptures don't mention genetics

Why should they? The Bible is not a science textbook.

so I don't know how you can claim that degraded genomes and so forth is scriptural.

I didn't say that.

If anything, I have (repeatedly) said that such things SUPPORT scripture.

It is all vague speculation.

What is? Specifically.

I recommend not forgetting to include the accumulating power of natural selection, which is like the difference between saving with simple interest and saving with compounding interest. Compounding interest could make you rich but simple interest never will.

See above Gelertner quote.

If you don't have an explanation for how a human accepting knowledge from a serpent causes genetic degradation and decay then you don't have an explanation at all.

Sounds like you have no idea what the Bible actually says, because that's not what the Bible describes. Go and read Genesis 1-3 again before bringing this up again.

Stuu

Stuu: If it looks like design
Then there was probably a designer.
Well you might know about some folks who have got themselves into trouble for making that claim. The Intelligent Design crowd, for example, decided there was irreducible complexity, and that was a sure-fire way to tell there is a designer. But they turned out to be wrong about the bacterial flagellum, their poster child example, and in the end were turfed out of court on their ears.

Should we believe that, because the puddle is this shape and the hole it fits into is exactly the same shape, therefore they were designed for one another? That is exactly the case with biological evolution: like the puddle, actually we are formed by the effects of our environment. It might look like design, but it's not. I know that doesn't account for the first cell, but it accounts for the illusion of design in species alive today.

To be honest, I don't really know what I mean when I write 'the illusion of design'. I guess it's a vague sense of something having the kind of complexity that could only be planned. But like so many other illusions that fool us, that's only my designer brain reading all sorts into it. But you seem to be claiming that you know what design should look like. You might like to share what you mean by this. Would it be more convincing to see examples that don't look designed but are? There is probably a lot of sculpture in that category!

Occam's razor, and all...
Goddidit, or a designer did it, is not a more efficient explanation. At this stage it's not even an explanation. Creation scientists must still be working on that, right? In any case, the 'design' looks exactly like what you would expect from natural selection. It's a bodge job that works surprisingly well given how thrown-together it is. Kludge is a good word for it. The Occam's razor explanation is natural selection, given the lack of any other explanation.

Stuu: It's not the optimum design
No one claimed that the design was optimum at the current time. The claim is that God designed things perfectly, and that He also provided a way to renew the biological systems so that they would run at or near 100% efficiency, but that since that time they have been subjected to thousands of years of decay and degradation.
The hummingbird's fantastic capacity for precisely-controlled flight doesn't make it look to me like there has been degradation. It looks more like 'keep doing that or die out'. Why are there still hummingbirds if there has been degradation? In other words, what predictions does this degradation principle make, and why does it not appear to apply to complex, finely-honed instinctive adaptations that are do-or-die for so many species?

Stuu: I'm sure you understand that Leviticus 11:13-19 is wrong: bats are not birds.
This is a historian's fallacy.
Not sure what you mean by that. Which historian got what wrong?

Easy [on octopus retinal wiring]. Because octopi live in the ocian, where it's generally darker, and are not subject to bright flashes of light on a regular basis, whereas humans are.

If you were to shine a flashlight into an octopus's eyes, it would be blinded for a few hours, but because such a thing will rarely happen, the fast healing is not needed. Do the same to a human, and while it may temporarily blind the person, within a few minutes, their eyes will have healed and they will be able to see again.

Octopi do not need that functionality, thus the different (and not "backwards" that evolutionists (such as yourself) like to claim it is) design between the two types of eyes.
So why do fish, living in the same environment as octopi, have retinas wired the same way as ours?

I don't know. Probably won't until I can ask God after I die or after I'm raptured, whichever comes first.
Ruptured? Oh, raptured. Maybe only some people will be ruptured.
I acknowledge your honesty about this. I have many don't knows myself. I do wish others here would show the same honesty when they claim there is a good argument in 'common design'. There clearly isn't.

[The flood was all about] wiping the slate because man was so wicked.
Stuu: Did that not fix the problem?
Which problem? Please be more specific.
Given the scale of slaughter involved, what was actually solved by the flood? Was wickedness expunged from the face of the earth?

RE: the other thread, Do you think that we (RD and I and others) wouldn't be the same if you did so with the provided lists?
I don't know. I see you as victims of creationist rhetoric more than perpetrators. I think the nature of the Gish Gallop is a problem for creationists to consider as it is their psychological technique. I don't see much of real scientists using it to convince others, and that is all it is, a rhetorical psychological trick to sway those perhaps unable to see what is being laid on them

Could [the plantaris muscle] have any other possible function? or is that the only function that it has?
None of us can say categorically whether it has no function. But, since we are fans of Occam's razor, the most parsimonious explanation is that what is used in one closely related species for a known function is no longer needed for survival to reproduce. Actually, how else would you explain its apparent uselessness and what seems to be slow disappearance from our anatomy?

There you go question begging again. Please stop assuming that which you are trying to prove, or at least word your statements to that effect.
Are you asking for corroborating evidence that our ancestors were tree-dwelling?

Thank you for conceding my point, because "changed function" still fits my positioni of "changed or reduced function."
So how would a creationist be able to claim that something is an exquisite design, and all that kind of rhetoric one often gets, if some of the designs weren't for the original function? Are you saying that a degraded original designed function becomes a great design for something else? At that point the design concept can't mean anything, can it?

Since my position is that disease and degraded organs are the result of decay from perfection, and not part of the original design, this isn't an issue for me.
Well those who aren't born with an appendix would seem to be the lucky ones then, wouldn't they. Is it an evolutionary process by which some have escaped this example of decay? The model of a god building in a timebomb in most human abdomens is consistent with the model of a god building in flood chambers under the hydroplates. You know, just in case humans need killing.

Unreasonable hypothesis? If so, why?

You seem to keep forgetting that "disease" fits my position far better than it does yours.
Why do we have an immune system, if disease is the result of this decay you claim? Why would we need disease defences at all? Have we evolved that during the decay period?

Please show us the original spines that you seem to think you have that support your claim.
Look at the spine of any vertibrate that doesn't belong to an animal that stands upright for long periods of time, which is pretty much all the others.

"Synthetic materials" Think about that for a bit, and then explain why you think that such materials would easily be able to be created in a human (or other creature's) body.
Well, your challenge wasn't about using existing materials, it was about how we could design better. You seem to now be putting a limitation on how I might suggest that would be achieved. Would you also put a limitation on your god in the same way? Is your god capable of using what we currently call synthetic materials or not? Would you be critical of your god if it used cartilage for the rest of the body, but had enzymes that produced nylon or some similar polyamide for the discs of the lower back? I don't think you would. Why did your god not use nylon, as a possible better material? Is there a limitation on the materials your god can make in a biological context?

Question begging.
Are you asking for corroborating evidence that human ancestors didn't walk upright?

Maybe it's due to having sex and bearing children....Just a thought...
Do you imagine that rates of back problems differ in different groups of people, say celibates or those with no children, or both?

Natural selection CANNOT SEE, let alone choose, which genes are selected
Well there is a way for natural selection to 'see' genes past reproductive age, and that is since grandparents play an important role in raising children, and probably always have done, the genomes of successful offspring will contain the genes that allow grandparents to survive long enough to be helpful. I don't know how that would apply to back problems exactly.

And to top that off, I'll just quote David Gelertner: [T]o help create a brand new form of organism, a mutation must affect a gene that does its job early and controls the expression of other genes that come into play later on as the organism grows. But mutations to these early-acting "strategic" genes, which create the big body-plan changes required by macro-evolution, seem to be invariably fatal... Evidently there are a total of no examples in the literature of mutations that affect early development and the body plan as a whole and are not fatal.
He would be right about body plan changes. All animals who have ancestry in the tetrapods have four limbs. What those limbs have been adapted to do as legs, wings or flippers, or adapted down until they're externally invisible, is the rest of the story. And that would be why divergence into different body plans is very early, back in the Cambrian, and divergence from the first tetrapods (as my example goes) from about 390 million years ago happened in fish. Any 'attempt' by a modern mutation to give us an extra pair of arms would almost certainly not make it past even the first phase of foetal development. There are many things which evolution predicts will not happen, and fundamental body plan changes across the population is one of them. Can I ask what point you were wishing to make about this quote?

Rather, I'm simply acknowledging that actions have consequences. Adam and Eve's actions had far-reaching consequences.
Would an explanation of the biological impossibility of the Adam and Eve model, linked to evidence, be the kind of evidence (unambiguous as it is) which you said would cause you to change your mind? If yes, then I will lay it out for you.

* A (Thankfully) Picky Ovum
: She's preferentially receptive to gametes that offer good copies of its own corrupted reproductive genes... Research shows that if the egg (ovum) has corrupted copies of its reproductive genes, it attempts to select a sperm with good copies of those degraded genes. So the ovum apparently can discern, out of about 20,000 genes scattered among billions of nucleotides, whether or not a sperm possesses a good version of one of its own damaged reproductive genes. (The genome modifies its expression in three dimensions based on the temporal needs of the cell or even of the entire organism. So RSR expects that the X and Y chromosomes will have manipulated their contents to insure that those relevant reproductive genes will not be deeply buried within but will be readily available on their surfaces.) This astounding ability to screen the sperm for good genes is consistent with other examples of extremely robust reproductive quality control design features. So the ovum prefers and admits the sperm with the healthier genes. Wow. Here at RSR we predict that this ability (like countless other biological functions and pieces of biological information) is not being controlled by genetic information within the DNA molecule itself but by some kind of "epigenetic" process. And, as California listener Randy Hayes often says, "How'd that evolve?" For, after all, unlike with genetic mutations, textbook neo-Darwinism doesn't even have a mechanism for explaining modifications to the exceedingly abundant and varied forms of non-genetic biological information.
Well, this is potentially an exciting discovery, I'm sure you agree. So, here's what we do: we wait for a published review, one that contains a metaanalysis of many such studies, weighted according to sample sizes and other quality measures, and see if the results are reproducible and statistically significant on a larger scale. We also expect, at that point, at least some plausible speculation on how this happens epigenetically through the effects of identified locations on the genome, or through histones or methylation, or expression of other coding sections.
So, since the first mouse testicular cancer study was done by the researcher, Joe Nadeau, in 2005, what reviews have been published in sperm selection by eggs since then?

An alternative response would be to join Mr. Enyart in dismissing the usual caution due to claims made in new papers and thrown that caution to the wind, using it as the basis for declaring it a problem for the neo-Darwinian synthesis. At least three problems with that. First, there are many possible epigenetic effects that might be related to this effect, if it is an effect at all, but Mr. Enyart has gone with one that has 'X and Y chromosomes' displaying 'reproductive genes' (whatever he means by that) 'on their surfaces'. The surface of what? What will be displayed? The actual genes themselves? Will it be the Y chromosome displayed on the surface of the egg? Or both the X and Y chromosome?! Hopefully anyone reading here paid enough attention to science in school to know what's wrong with that. If he had read about this work in any detail, he would have noted that the researchers don't have anything like this proposed mechanism in mind.

Second, how has Mr. Enyart established that this is a problem for neo-Darwinian science? Since there is a significant amount of heritable epigenetics that is spelled out on the DNA, then obviously mutation is one mechanism proposed for altering it. There is no explanation for his strawman mechanism, because, well, it's not a possible mechanism.

Thirdly, if this is such a significant effect, what does Mr. Enyart think of the Mendelian basis of genetic counseling? Does he believe that geneticists should just tell prospective parents that their kids will be fine because the egg cell will know which sperms to avoid? This would be nonsense, because we know that very many genetic conditions conform pretty much perfectly to Mendelian inheritance. Perhaps Mr. Enyart means to include only certain genetic conditions. Which ones? He doesn't say.

And he calls this Real Science Radio? Hilarious.

That's a theology question. Pretty sure you're not interested in that discussion. I'm more than happy to tell you, but only if you say you're interested.
I am very interested. Please tell, or redirect me to a more relevant thread if it should be under discussion elsewhere.

Please quote me where I said the engineering was malicious. Otherwise retract your false claim.
Well, you will appreciate that it is not me who is claiming it is engineering we are observing except in the sense of what natural selection does, which on evidence is both amazing and slapdash, and there is no problem of evil for the non-believer: there is no intent in evolution so there is no way for it to be malicious. We can't expect consideration from something that doesn't have foresight.

Here, actually, I am supposing on your behalf and asking why the 'design' appears to be so poor and so brutal in so many respects. Does the design not reflect the attitude of the designer? Can you tell when something is designed by an engineer that cares?

Apparently some snakes even had legs.
Yes indeed. Are they the ones that escaped the crawling punishment? If so, how did they do that, and was it the flood that got them all in the end? Is it a forgiving god that insisted Noah invite snakes onboard the ark?

See above Gelertner quote.
Yes. He is right about what he wrote. I don't think, though, he he was writing on the topic of the accumulating power of natural selection to concentrate up the beneficial mutations and eliminate the deleterious ones.

Stuart

Last edited:

wesraue

Resistance to antibiotics is the adaptation of an organism to the environment/external stimuli. The human body adapts also. God said the human body is wonderfully made. Humans become immune to diseases. It has an amazing immune system created by God.That has absolutely nothing to do with an organism or species changing to a completely different organism or species. MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus. MRSA is Staph Aureus that has adapted to Methicillin. It is still Staph Aureus. If someone have evidence that Staph Aureus has changed into C-diff or has become a multi-cell organism they should publish the findings. They may even win a Nobel prize. The premise that since an organism can adapt somehow proves evolution (that an organism or species transitions to a completely different organism or species) is unscientific and a "giant leap" into absurdity. Even Darwin was honest enough to admit that there has never been found any evidence of a species in transition.

wesraue

Men can create artificial intelligence (AIs) that can adapt. No one above the IQ 40 would assume that the actions of the AIs are by accident/chance. They would rightly believe that it was the result of intelligent design by intelligent computer programmers and engineers. No one believes that you can put a lot of hardware, wiring, processors, and circuitry in a room and over time it will all come together and form a robot with artificial intelligence. If men can create artificial intelligence that can adapt then surely One that is omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence can create biological organisms that can adapt. The fact that the smallest organism to the most complex on this earth have the ability to adapt to the environment and other external factors is actually proof of intelligent design. It is no less ridiculous to believe this is by chance then for someone to believe that a complex computer or robot can be created without intelligent beings.

Lon

How do Creationists explain this phenomenon?
Yes, the selection here is caused by humans- but that doesn't make any difference as far as the mechanism is concerned.
You answered your own question.
See? You admit 1) that this one was 'by intelligent design' regardless of mechanism, and thus 2) admit that all of creation can easily follow the same example.
Point? Creationists pretty much answer the questions the same BUT we don't use the word 'evolution' as if something can change on its own without influence or guidance. Many scientists do not mean that either, but it is VERY important to understand most of the time these debates occur by poor semantics. The science books, education, and community make a LOT of grammatical faux pas but counting out God or anything else as far as design is concerned. Once you said there was a difference between Christianity and Jewish religions but there is not supposed to be. You really cannot be born a Jew, persay. "Not all Israel is Israel."

Stuu

Even Darwin was honest enough to admit that there has never been found any evidence of a species in transition.
Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory. The explanation lies, as I believe, in the extreme imperfection of the geological record. Charles Darwin (1859), The Origin of Species http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F373&pageseq=297http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F373&pageseq=297

All extant species are in transition.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory. The explanation lies, as I believe, in the extreme imperfection of the geological record. Charles Darwin (1859), The Origin of Species http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F373&pageseq=297http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F373&pageseq=297

All extant species are in transition.
Within their kind, sure. That we can see. What we don't see is new kinds.

Reactions: Lon

oatmeal

As most of us are aware, many bacteria have developed resistance to antibiotics. The usual scientific explanation is an evolutionary one, with selection being the driving force to improved survival (of the bacteria). How do Creationists explain this phenomenon?
Yes, the selection here is caused by humans- but that doesn't make any difference as far as the mechanism is concerned. If you think random mutation and natural selection cannot generate improved traits- how does this happen? How do the bacteria become resistant to antibiotics?

Even as truth abiding people can learn to resist evil, even so people accustomed to doing evil can learn to resist good.

Either way, the species has not changed, only the mindset.

The DNA of either has not changed so as to make a different species of either.

Even so, there are dogs of different breeds that a better runners, some are better smellers?, there are scent hounds and sight hounds, some because of excessive inbreeding have genetic defiects that cause ailments such as hip displasia, yet the species has not changed.

Japanese breed goldfish to extremes, yet they remain goldfish.

Seed developers "breed", is that the right word?, of corn, for instance, that are more resistant to certain diseases and environments. Yet the corn remains corn, it does not change into peaches. or kittens

For all we know, scientiifically speaking, the DNA that fortifies the resistance to antibiotics may have always been there, but not called into use until needed.

How did penicillin mold develop into a source of an antibiotic, why did it develop into a source of an antibiotic?

Self preservation? Why not?

Humans apparently have an instinct for self preservation as I would expect all species do, including bacteria.

The same poppy plant that is the source of addictive drug, is likewise the source of a powerful painkiller, morphine.

God is the source of all good, the Devil is the source of all evil

Right Divider

Body part
'Kind' is a term for religious fundamentalists. It has nothing to do with biology.

Stuart

Mock all that you want. It simply shows your childishness and lack of intelligence.

The entire "evolutionary tree" is filled with arbitrary divisions at different "levels" with the ultimate base being the ASSUMPTION that all life descended from a single common ancestor.

Stuu

Mock all that you want. It simply shows your childishness and lack of intelligence.

The entire "evolutionary tree" is filled with arbitrary divisions at different "levels" with the ultimate base being the ASSUMPTION that all life descended from a single common ancestor.
You need to learn the difference between assumption and inference.

You agree that evolution by natural selection happens. Why do you agree that? You have to deduce it from the variety of life on the planet. It can't have all fitted into the ark.

So you conclude evolution happened, but it must have boundaries, which you call 'kinds'. But that is just a religious fundamentalist assumption. You have never justified that limitation, because religious fundamentalism doesn't believe in justification. You would be a classic example of that in your posts here.

Why do you place these limits? Because you believe in an impossible wooden boat floating on a global flood that never happened. Remove that assumption and you end up inferring common ancestry.

I wouldn't bother turning to Mr. Brown for help on this one. He assumes there was a global flood for the purpose of demonstrating there was a global flood. That shouldn't convince anyone.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
You need to learn the difference between assumption and inference.
All life descended from a SINGLE common ancestor is NOT an inference.

You agree that evolution by natural selection happens. Why do you agree that? You have to deduce it from the variety of life on the planet. It can't have all fitted into the ark.
You're wrong. You've cleanly NOT done ANY research on this subject.

So you conclude evolution happened, but it must have boundaries, which you call 'kinds'.
AGAIN, your knowledge of your opponents position is completely missing.

We do NOT claim that evolution has the "limit of the kinds". We claim that all "evolution" STARTED with the created kinds. We do NOT claim that the kinds "cannot change". The kinds most definitely speciate within limits.

All of the diversity of life we see today came from the created kinds and NOT from a SINGLE kind that itself appeared by magic (yes, your world view requires the magic, not mine).

But that is just a religious fundamentalist assumption. You have never justified that limitation, because religious fundamentalism doesn't believe in justification. You would be a classic example of that in your posts here.
Empirical evidence shows the limitation. That you reject empirical evidence is your problem.

Why do you place these limits?
I don't "place these limits". They are empirically obvious to anyone with eyes.

Because you believe in an impossible wooden boat floating on a global flood that never happened. Remove that assumption and you end up inferring common ancestry.
Once again, your knowledge is anti-knowledge.

I wouldn't bother turning to Mr. Brown for help on this one. He assumes there was a global flood for the purpose of demonstrating there was a global flood. That shouldn't convince anyone.

Stuart
:rotfl:

Stuu

All life descended from a SINGLE common ancestor is NOT an inference.
Should I assume you know what an inference is?

You're wrong. You've cleanly NOT done ANY research on this subject.
What subject?

We do NOT claim that evolution has the "limit of the kinds". We claim that all "evolution" STARTED with the created kinds. We do NOT claim that the kinds "cannot change". The kinds most definitely speciate within limits.
It looks to me like I characterised your position perfectly.

All of the diversity of life we see today came from the created kinds and NOT from a SINGLE kind that itself appeared by magic (yes, your world view requires the magic, not mine).
I would have said it appeared by chemistry, which I wouldn't put in the category of magic. On the other hand, perhaps you could consider your unexplained 'created kinds' to be magic...unless you have the mechanism for how that's done?

Empirical evidence shows the limitation. I don't "place these limits". They are empirically obvious to anyone with eyes.
Did your nose get longer when you typed that?

Once again, your knowledge is anti-knowledge.
The boat is impossible. The global flood is religious fundamentalist mythology. Neither are real. You know this, and I imagine you probably know why religious fundamentalists are led to believe nonsense. I have already explained it to you. Let me know if you require further information on this.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
Should I assume you know what an inference is?
Feel free to describe how you "inferred" this.

What subject?
How many animals needed to fit on the ark.

It looks to me like I characterised your position perfectly.
No, you did not. You claimed that we believed that the limits of "evolution" was the kinds. That is WRONG. We believe that the kinds were the STARTING point. That the kinds branch out from there is not a problem for the creation model.

I would have said it appeared by chemistry, which I wouldn't put in the category of magic. On the other hand, perhaps you could consider your unexplained 'created kinds' to be magic...unless you have the mechanism for how that's done?
It has been proven time and again that chemical do NOT come to life by natural processes. So therefore, you do believe in magic.

We, on the other hand, see the obvious creative design in nature and therefore INFER that there was a supreme intelligence involved. That is a FAR more scientific and logical conclusion.

Did your nose get longer when you typed that?
Gee... that one of the most childish things that you've typed in a while. Perhaps you'd like to show how there are no limits.

Make sure that you include dog breading, race horse breading, sugar beets, etc. etc. etc.

The boat is impossible.
Your lack of science knowledge is showing again.

The global flood is religious fundamentalist mythology. Neither are real. You know this, and I imagine you probably know why religious fundamentalists are led to believe nonsense. I have already explained it to you. Let me know if you require further information on this.
More babbling... it's all that you have.

Stuu

How many animals needed to fit on the ark.
It's not really a subject is it. I suppose you could ask how many people could fit on the bridge of the USS Enterprise and that could be a similar kind of 'subject' of investigation.

No, you did not. You claimed that we believed that the limits of "evolution" was the kinds. That is WRONG. We believe that the kinds were the STARTING point. That the kinds branch out from there is not a problem for the creation model.
You believe in evolution 'within kinds' don't you? The evolution does not extend beyond 'kinds' in any way. Therefore the kinds are the limits. You can believe that the kinds are a starting point and still have them as the limits.

It has been proven time and again that chemical do NOT come to life by natural processes.
More alt-facts for religious fundamentalists.

We, on the other hand, see the obvious creative design in nature and therefore INFER that there was a supreme intelligence involved. That is a FAR more scientific and logical conclusion.
Can you tell me what in nature was designed by a supreme intelligence and what wasn't? What are the criteria for it being 'obvious'? Cancers can seem quite cunning in the way they dodge the attention of the immune system. Did the supreme intelligence creatively design cancer?

Your lack of science knowledge is showing again.
Do you know how big the largest wooden boat that could float without breaking up was?

Stuart