• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

What is the origin of earth's radioactive elements?

Right Divider

Body part
RD,

I've only skimmed through portions of the thread but I think I get the gist of it. Let me know if I say something that makes you think I've missed something important.

Your argument, I'm sorry to say, is not valid.

First of all, the question you begin the thread with and thus your implied argument could be asked about the existance of any specific mineral you wanted to name. How do you know diamonds existed before the flood? Why the focus on radio active elements?
Because I oppose the evolutionary models of the creation of our solar system and earth. They are pseudo-science and often anti-science.

I never claimed that I know that they did not exist prior to the flood.

Second, the idea that the presense of radio active elements is not an inherent attribute of the earth is just as much an opinion as the reverse. In other words, your claim that they did not exist prior to the flood is suseptible to the same "that's just your opinion" argument as you make toward those who say that they have always been here. The fact is that they are here and that there is no evidence that they haven't always been here.
Any ideas about events in the distance past has a pretty fair degree of opinion built into it. My point is that the actual evidence supports the creation of these elements during the flood far better than from a distance cloud of star dust.

Further, even if the stresses that occured in the Earth during the flood created radio active elements, which I do not dispute by the way, then that would not prove that ALL of the Earth's radio active elements were created during the flood. TNoah's Flood did not extend to the Moon or Mars and they've found radio active elements in both places.
The flood ejected large amounts of earth material into space. The Moon and Mars being our closest neighbors received some of that material. So it's entirely possible that their radioactive elements also came from earth.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Because I oppose the evolutionary models of the creation of our solar system and earth. They are pseudo-science and often anti-science.
Well, I have no disagreement in regards to the nature of the "science" known as evolutionary cosmology. It's just blind guess work from beginning to end but I'm sure that you'll agree that their lack of intellectual integrity doesn't justify poor arguments on the apposing side.

And I think you missed the point of my question. As I said, the gist of your argument would apply to any mineral. It could apply with equal veracity to the existence of plain ordinary dirt. You have equal reason to think that radio active elements didn't exist prior to the flood as you do to think that iron ore didn't exist before the flood. Why think that radio active elements are in a special category?

I never claimed that I know that they did not exist prior to the flood.
Then what's the point? :confused:

Any ideas about events in the distance past has a pretty fair degree of opinion built into it. My point is that the actual evidence supports the creation of these elements during the flood far better than from a distance cloud of star dust.
I don't think it does. Like I said, even if the processes that took place during the flood could be shown to create radio active elements, this would only be evidence that some of the Earth's radio active elements where created in this manner. It would not even speak to the question of where ALL of them came from. Just because some oranges come from Florida doesn't mean every orange comes from Florida nor that oranges didn't exist before Florida orchards existed to grow them.

The flood ejected large amounts of earth material into space. The Moon and Mars being our closest neighbors received some of that material. So it's entirely possible that their radioactive elements also came from earth.
No, it isn't.

I've read Walt Brown's book more than once and so expected you to say this. Again, such processes as described in Brown's theory might account for some small percentage of the radio active elements on the Moon and Mars but not nearly all of them, not even close and what little would be there would be spread over the entire surface quite evenly. There are regions on Mars where the concentrations of radio active elements is so high that some have speculated about some sort of natural nuclear explosion having occurred on Mars at some point in the past. Also, the concentration of radio active isotopes of some of the noble gasses are higher in Mars' atmosphere than they are here. No expulsion of material from Earth could ever cause that.

Further, all such expulsions of material from Earth would have occurred because of the waters rushing from under the Earth's crust at the very beginning of the flood. The stresses that Brown is talking about being able to create radio active elements occurred when the floating plates collided with each other and pushed up the mountains and brought the various land masses to a halt. In other words, the creation of the radio active elements would have taken place in areas removed from the pieces of Earth being flung into space.

Clete

P.S. I'm so fed up with the mindlessness of the people I usual disagree with on this site that I'm actually looking forward to an exchange with someone I respect! I think I'm going to just stop wasting my time with the small minded morons that make up the majority on this website and stick to talking to people like yourself who have a mind and who know how to use it. Even if we don't come to agreement, we'll demonstrate how intelligence works! :up:

Right Divider

Body part
Well, I have no disagreement in regards to the nature of the "science" known as evolutionary cosmology. It's just blind guess work from beginning to end but I'm sure that you'll agree that their lack of intellectual integrity doesn't justify poor arguments on the apposing side.
Or even the opposing side... :french:

And I think you missed the point of my question. As I said, the gist of your argument would apply to any mineral. It could apply with equal veracity to the existence of plain ordinary dirt. You have equal reason to think that radio active elements didn't exist prior to the flood as you do to think that iron ore didn't exist before the flood. Why think that radio active elements are in a special category?
I limited the scope in my opening question. Is there a problem with that?

My thoughts as to why they probably didn't exist before the flood are along the same lines as JR, I don't think that these elements that are so destructive to life would have been part of the "very good" creation. Again, this is my opinion.

Then what's the point? :confused:
The point is that they exist and that there various ideas as to the why's and how's. I believe that there are better and more scientific explanations than distance star dust and nebular accretion.

I don't think it does. Like I said, even if the processes that took place during the flood could be shown to create radio active elements, this would only be evidence that some of the Earth's radio active elements where created in this manner. It would not even speak to the question of where ALL of them came from. Just because some oranges come from Florida doesn't mean every orange comes from Florida nor that oranges didn't exist before Florida orchards existed to grow them.
OK, I never said all. But I see how you could take it that way.

No, it isn't.
Really?... now you are claiming knowledge that you cannot possibly have. You know for a fact that no radioactive elements on the Moon or Mars originated on the earth? How do you know this?

I've read Walt Brown's book more than once and so expected you to say this. Again, such processes as described in Brown's theory might account for some small percentage of the radio active elements on the Moon and Mars but not nearly all of them, not even close and what little would be there would be spread over the entire surface quite evenly.
And how do know that they "would be spread over the entire surface quite evenly"?

Why would they be spread evenly? Many of the ejections are large chunks. Many large enough to form asteroids and trans-Neptunian objects, possibly including Pluto.

There are regions on Mars where the concentrations of radio active elements is so high that some have speculated about some sort of natural nuclear explosion having occurred on Mars at some point in the past.
That seems highly speculative without warrant. Kind of like the whole nebular accretion model. Chunks of earth that contained freshly created radio-isotopes seems far more likely to me. Even the term "natural nuclear explosion" seem to me to be quite a stretch.

The earth facing side of the Moon shows that it was bombarded by these large chunks of earth. While the far side does not. One of the reasons that the moon is always facing the same way towards earth seems to be due to the additional mass that it acquired from the earth's projectiles.

Also, the concentration of radio active isotopes of some of the noble gasses are higher in Mars' atmosphere than they are here. No expulsion of material from Earth could ever cause that.
And you know this how?

Further, all such expulsions of material from Earth would have occurred because of the waters rushing from under the Earth's crust at the very beginning of the flood. The stresses that Brown is talking about being able to create radio active elements occurred when the floating plates collided with each other and pushed up the mountains and brought the various land masses to a halt. In other words, the creation of the radio active elements would have taken place in areas removed from the pieces of Earth being flung into space.
The events occurred over a longer period of time than you seem to think, at least according to Dr. Brown's theory.

Clete

P.S. I'm so fed up with the mindlessness of the people I usual disagree with on this site that I'm actually looking forward to an exchange with someone I respect! I think I'm going to just stop wasting my time with the small minded morons that make up the majority on this website and stick to talking to people like yourself who have a mind and who know how to use it. Even if we don't come to agreement, we'll demonstrate how intelligence works! :up:
Thanks Clete... you have my total respect and I could not possibly agree with you more regarding the many morons that we have here.

I always enjoy your comments, even the ones that I may disagree with.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God created the earth with radioactive elements.

That's possible. However, I think there are the factors of scale and conditions to consider. We have gone through a lot since the first six days. ;)

So, while He created the system of the wind, I don't think the conditions were such that He could be said to have created a world with category 5 hurricanes.

There might have been radioactive material made along with the Earth, but it wouldn't have been on a scale that would have been a terminal problem.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes, there are radioactive elements elsewhere in the universe. Did you not know that?

So are you going to provide the evidence for that claim? or do you expect us to just believe you?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Or even the opposing side... :french:
Oh man! You gotta forgive my typos. I'm always in such a rush when I type these posts! :bang:

I limited the scope in my opening question. Is there a problem with that?
No, there's no problem. I just thought that you had some special reason to single out radio active elements, that's all.

Doesn't the fact that they aren't in a special category sort of take the wind out of the argument? Or am I missing something?

My thoughts as to why they probably didn't exist before the flood are along the same lines as JR, I don't think that these elements that are so destructive to life would have been part of the "very good" creation. Again, this is my opinion.
They aren't very dangerous at all in their natural state. They only get dangerous when we mine them and concentrate them into large quantities of pure elements. Uranium mines produce a lot of Radon gas which is itself a radio active substance and is much more dangerous than the uranium ore itself. If not for Radon, uranium mining would be much, if any, more dangerous than mining salt.

Plus, it turns out that they are very useful. They're used in all sorts of industries not the least of which is the medical industry where they are used to both detect and treat all sort of things like nearly every kind of cancer you've ever heard of. They are found in every smoke detector ever made. They used to produce electricity. Etc, etc, etc. Radio activity is a good thing!

I'm curious, do you think that poisonous plants or venomous animals didn't exist before Adam's fall?

The point is that they exist and that there various ideas as to the why's and how's. I believe that there are better and more scientific explanations than distance star dust and nebular accretion.
How about the explanation that says that God made the world that way? There is strong evidence that the earth was definitely created with radio active elements and that their existence is proof that the Earth had to have been created instantly.

Check out this website....

http://www.halos.com/

:up:

Bringing precision to one another's arguments is precisely what "iron sharpening iron" looks like.

Really?... now you are claiming knowledge that you cannot possibly have. You know for a fact that no radioactive elements on the Moon or Mars originated on the earth? How do you know this?
I never intended to suggest that NO radioactive elements were deposited on these bodies but merely that the processes discussed in Walt Brown's theory could not account for the uneven ground distributions of these elements nor the concentrations of gaseous isotopes that we know exist on Mars. How could ANY xenon 129, or any xenon of any kind for that matter, get to Mars from Earth much less get there in quantities sufficient to create concentrations in Mars' atmosphere greater than exist here?

And how do know that they "would be spread over the entire surface quite evenly"?
Because they are crazy far away. The overwhelming majority of stuff ejected from the Earth would never find anything at all other than empty space and the minuscule fraction that somehow managed to get thrown toward Mars would have had to be thrown in precisely the right direction at just the right moment or else it would have missed the planet altogether. Then, once it got there it would have had to enter through Mars' atmosphere where another uncountable number of variables would have scattered the Earth dust all over the place. There no way that the heavy concentrations of radio active uranium, thorium and potassium that are found in a few concentrated spots in the northern part of Mars could have come from the expulsion of debris caused by the start of Noah's flood. The concentrations are so high that there are serious minded people who actually considered the idea that some natural nuclear explosion occurred on the surface of Mars.

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/pdf/2660.pdf :readthis:

Why would they be spread evenly? Many of the ejections are large chunks. Many large enough to form asteroids and trans-Neptunian objects, possibly including Pluto.
Are you suggesting here that large chunks of radio active elements were not only created but then immediately ejected at the beginning of Noah's flood?

Do you suppose the it was just one or two large radio active chunks or was it many billions of tons? The reason I ask that is because if it was just one or two chunks then hitting Mars with it was the lucky bullseye shot of all time. Just astoundingly unlikely. Like on the order of unlikely that is shared by the theory of evolution. We're talking odds against in numbers we don't have names for.
If, on the other hand you're suggesting that it was a truly large quantity of radio active material that was ejected and that it would have been inevitable that some of it would end up on Mars, then where's the rest of it? Asteroids aren't highly radio active if they are at all and more importantly, no process discussed in Brown's theory would suggest that the vast majority of radio active material that existed on the Earth was ejected into space and so you'd have have many times as much left on Earth as was ejected, which we don't see.

That seems highly speculative without warrant. Kind of like the whole nebular accretion model. Chunks of earth that contained freshly created radio-isotopes seems far more likely to me. Even the term "natural nuclear explosion" seem to me to be quite a stretch.
I agree! I don't mean to suggest that I endorse such a notion. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it has been abandoned as a viable theory. My only point in bringing it up was to point out just how concentrated these areas of radio active elements are. It isn't a small amount by any means as you'd expect if its source was some sort of ejection from Earth. From Earth, Mars is a pretty tiny target to hit to start with and the processes involved in getting any of that debris to Mars would very chaotic and random which would send very nearly all of it into orbits that would eventually end up depositing it back onto the Earth or else sending it into empty space.

The earth facing side of the Moon shows that it was bombarded by these large chunks of earth. While the far side does not. One of the reasons that the moon is always facing the same way towards earth seems to be due to the additional mass that it acquired from the earth's projectiles.
This is not accurate. The far side of the Moon is WAY more cratered than the Earth facing side and the tidal lock between the Earth and Moon has nothing to do with the higher mass on the far side. The tidal lock is due to the Moon's proximity to the Earth, not its distribution of mass. In fact, the heavier mass on the far side is an effect of the tidal lock not a cause of it.

Also, orbital dynamics are quite complex. Anything expelled from the Earth would not simply shoot away from the Earth like a bullet and strike the Moon. The debris would be sent into orbit. Some of those orbits would be eccentric enough to interact with the Moon and even collide with it but the point is that the paths would be orbitally curved and some would impact the Earth facing side and others the far side. Whether either would be more prevalent than the other is hard to say.

And you know this how?
Because gasses diffuse in a vacuum. You cannot expel a blob of gas into space and expect it to still be a blob of gas after it got to a planet that is 140 million miles away (on average).

And leaving the vacuum of space to the side for a moment, the solar wind alone would have dispersed it long before it ever got to Mars and even if by some miracle it got to Mars it would have enter the Martian atmosphere from space which we have no theory that give us any mechanism that could permit that to occur at all. Gasses simply do not migrate from areas of lesser pressure to higher pressure. It's always the other way around.

The events occurred over a longer period of time than you seem to think, at least according to Dr. Brown's theory.
Forty days - maximum.

The rains produced by these jets of water ended in 40 days and so the ejections could not have been occurring for even that long.

Thanks Clete... you have my total respect and I could not possibly agree with you more regarding the many morons that we have here.

This is fun! Reminds of the old days! :BRAVO:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...My thoughts as to why they probably didn't exist before the flood are along the same lines as JR, I don't think that these elements that are so destructive to life would have been part of the "very good" creation. Again, this is my opinion.

...Thanks Clete... you have my total respect and I could not possibly agree with you more regarding the many morons that we have here.

This is interesting. Why the basic respect for Clete, what is he a PhD or something?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
This is interesting. Why the basic respect for Clete, what is he a PhD or something?

Well, if I have the right person, he is generally respectful, been here awhile, is reasonably cogent (although the thought process of anyone who give Walt Brown a shred of value is suspect, in my opinion) and does not call people names. As his response to RD shows, he takes his time to respond point by point if appropriate. I just dont have the patience anymore to do that, especially with those who buy Brown's theory. As far as Brown goes, I still can't get past his 1800 trillion megatons of energy released. Where did that energy go? And how did all those pieces of the earth make it to the moon? They would have to be at escape velocity pretty quickly, a bit different than a rocket today that expends energy all the way to orbit by burning fuel along the way in a very concentrated manner.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Well, if I have the right person, he is generally respectful,
Some would scoff at this but it is true. The thing is that I respect those that deserve respect and I don't tollerate stupidity (i.e. foolishness in general) well. As a result, many here on TOL think I'm mean.

....been here awhile, is reasonably cogent (although the thought process of anyone who give Walt Brown a shred of value is suspect, in my opinion) and does not call people names. As his response to RD shows, he takes his time to respond point by point if appropriate. I just dont have the patience anymore to do that, especially with those who buy Brown's theory. As far as Brown goes, I still can't get past his 1800 trillion megatons of energy released. Where did that energy go? And how did all those pieces of the earth make it to the moon? They would have to be at escape velocity pretty quickly, a bit different than a rocket today that expends energy all the way to orbit by burning fuel along the way in a very concentrated manner.

Walt Brown is a PhD and has done his homework. All the processes he discusses are quite plausible in regards to the energies involved. Having said that, I'm not sure Walt ever suggested 1800 trillion megatons. Were did you get that number? I can't find it. His book is available online at the link below. If you can find the reference I'd be interested to read it.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlin...inningTOC.html

Also, Walt is quite intellectually honest. His book has been revised several times because Walt has discovered reasons to alter several points over time and the latest version is not presented as fact either. If you can substantively refute any specific point of his theory, he would hear it gladly - as would I.

Clete

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Walt Brown is a PhD and has done his homework. All the processes he discusses are quite plausible in regards to the energies involved. Having said that, I'm not sure Walt ever suggested 1800 trillion megatons. Were did you get that number? I can't find it. His book is available online at the link below. If you can find the reference I'd be interested to read it.

Clete

1. that number came from a note to myself based on Brown's book. I'll see if I can find a specific reference.
2. the fact he has a PhD is not really relevant. I have a daughter with a PhD
3. still have an issue with the energy used to launch comets, asteroids etc. Once the material leaves the mid ocean ridge it needs additional input unless it is going at escape velocity to begin with. and, as it rises there is nothing to keep it from spreading thereby losing energy and making it more difficult for any inputs from below to be effective.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
3. still have an issue with the energy used to launch comets, asteroids etc. Once the material leaves the mid ocean ridge it needs additional input unless it is going at escape velocity to begin with.

If the material has already reached well over escape velocity, the atmosphere isn't going to slow it down much, especially since the eruption would have continued for the next 40 days...

http://www.creationscience.com/onlin...calNotes6.html

https://kgov.com/hydroplate-theory-h...lem-walt-brown

and, as it rises there is nothing to keep it from spreading thereby losing energy and making it more difficult for any inputs from below to be effective.

False.

Take a look at this image:

Pretty self-explanatory.

Bryan took this photo to debunk the specific argument that the energy would "spread out."

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
End note 89 page 422, end note 3 page 618 appear to discuss the energy needed. Good luck with the online book, it is not really paginated. It is a nightmare to figure out what page you might be on.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
If the material has already reached well over escape velocity, the atmosphere isn't going to slow it down much.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/TechnicalNotes6.html

https://kgov.com/hydroplate-theory-heat-problem-walt-brown

False.

Take a look at this image:

Pretty self-explanatory.

Bryan took this photo to debunk the specific argument that the energy would "spread out."

And what is the temperature 5 feet above his hands? Bet a bit less than 1800. So what happened to that heat coming out of the nozzle? Where did it go?

Right Divider

Body part

Why? Do you have something against Clete?

Clete is an intelligent, respectful, articulate poster here unlike many of the complete boobs here (not including you there).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And what is the temperature 5 feet above his hands? Bet a bit less than 1800. So what happened to that heat coming out of the nozzle? Where did it go?

The energy from the burner would have dissipated into the room.

However, what you seem to fail to realize is that the jets of water would have blasted THROUGH the atmosphere.

The theory proposes that the original thickness of the crust was at least 60 miles deep.

Most of our atmosphere is within the first 10 miles above the surface of the earth.

The fountains would have extended FAR beyond the atmosphere.

As to where all the energy from the fountains went?

Kinetic energy.

Also, the fountains were cold, not hot.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Yep, just like the Space X Falcon 9 blasted through the atmosphere, thanks to the continued addition of energy.