X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zakath
    Turbot,

You should have read the entire post to see why I asked the questions...
    I did, and I do.
    BRXI: Should Christians support the Death Penalty?

Comment

That's interesting, my clients never complained about my fees being excessive...
      Sure, Zakath, sure, Too bad you can't "help" people without charging them for your "psychological services."

Comment

• sawrie

Last edited by sawrie; June 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbo
          I did, and I do.
          You see, grasshopper; but you do not understand.

Comment

• Re: sawrie

Originally posted by sawrie
            Can one prove to me that the physical universe exists?
            only if you can prove to me that YOU exist. How do I know you're talking to me? are you a figment of my imagination? Or am I of yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eireann
              "God" doesn't mean the same thing to all people, and the dictionary only provides a general, popular definition. You ask a Hindu, a Jew, a Christian, and a Muslim to define "God" and you'll get four different answers. You ask 10 Christians to define "God" and you'll get 10 different answers. Some believe in a God that is inclusive of Jesus, and some don't. This is even true among Christians -- you have Trinitarians who believe Christ is a part of or a manifestation of the Godhead, and you have non-trinitarians who believe that while Christ is "of God," that Christ is not God himself. So no, a dictionary definition of "God" is hardly going to suffice, unless both parties agree to use such a limited definition.
              What's wrong with using a limited definition if it's sufficient to the argument. Zakath doesn't believe in the most basic definition of "god", Bob does. Why make the debate needlessly complex over the details of specific religions when the issue is very basic? And why did Zakath put the ball in Bob's court when he could have just as easily stated HIS definition of "god" and gotten the ball rolling. He could just say, "this is the most fundamental definition of what I think 'god' is, and I don't believe in it."

My point is, if Bob defines "God" as "a higher power", it might not be enough. Zakath could believe in aliens or something that are, technically, a higher power than humans. They both need to find the lowest common denominator, so to speak, and debate that. Zakath could have started that process, but he decided to let Bob define it.

It might have actually been a smart move, because it puts Bob on the defensive.
              ~spackle~

just filling in the cracks

Comment

• waiting

I am not a regular on here, but I keep checking the site every 5 minutes waiting for Bob Enyart's first post!

Comment

• Re: sawrie

Originally posted by sawrie
                  Can one prove to me that the physical universe exists?... (snipped the remaining existential questioning)
                  Is it utterly impossible for religionists like you to stick to the discussion at hand?

You might have missed it, but the question for the debate is "Does God Exist?" It is not your question about universal existence. That is another debate entirely.

Since there are many, many conflicting claims about what "God" means, we need to define that term early on to avoid misunderstandings...

Its amazing to me that one can say there is no God.
                  Be amazed.

There is no God.

Comment

• Originally posted by spackle
                    It might have actually been a smart move, because it puts Bob on the defensive.
                    Yep.

Comment

• Don't forget our good friends the Mormons: As man is God was, as God is man will be....

Comment

• Originally posted by Freak
                        ...Too bad you can't "help" people without charging them for your "psychological services."
                        Knight gave you your very own forum to play in, Jay. It's too bad you can't stick to the topic at hand when you're out in the rest of the world...

Comment

Knight gave you your very own forum

Comment

• quote:
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by Becky
                            Hi Zak,
                            So, does this mean your wife believes in some form of a god?
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Za-kath's response
                            Nope. Merely an oracle, a mouthpiece for a deity.

Well, she is my little goddess... but that's different...

And she used to treat me like a deity when we were first married, you know, the burnt offerings for dinner and all that...
                            Ha Ha ha ha ha ha…. He he he he he he… ho ho ho ho ho… ha ha ha ha ha ha….

Good one.
                            Last edited by Lion; June 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM.
                            In service of the
                            Lion and the Lamb

Comment

• ZA-kath said:
                              As do many folks here. Where we differ is the object of our faith...

"Everyone's gotta believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink!"
                              Luke 12:19-20 ‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” "But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you...
                              In service of the
                              Lion and the Lamb

Comment

• The "BIG" if...

1Cor 15:32 "...If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!
                                In service of the
                                Lion and the Lamb

Comment

Working...
                                X