• Jerry Shugart

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You may want to reserve your voting until the battle has developed.

But feel free to discuss the battle here!

JohnV

A prediction

A prediction

I really do not know much about Dee Dee or Jerry...
Neither do I, but I've been doing a little reading, and I'll give some odds:

5 - 1 that Jerry wins

This is based more on the strengths of the positions, than on the combatant's debating skills. I'm going with Dee Dee's definition of the tribulation from her thread on the subject. IMO, her interpretation of Matthew 24 can be refuted to most people's satisfaction from Matthew 24 itself.

If Jerry has a good working knowledge of the OT messianic prophecies, his odds go up further. It might take some planning and preparation to use this line of argumentation effectively, though, considering the ten-post limit.

For Dee Dee to have a chance, she needs to draw up a full game plan, follow it as closely as possible, and keep the pace slow and tightly focused.

Good luck to both! :)

Jaltus

I know both, and I would say the odds are in Dee Dee's favor. Jerry tends to prooftext without knowing the context of the passage, leaving him open to being easily refuted.

Dee Dee will throw lots of facts and technical arguments at Jerry. Jerry does not handle technical arguments well consistently.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Jaltus
I know both, and I would say the odds are in Dee Dee's favor. Jerry tends to prooftext without knowing the context of the passage, leaving him open to being easily refuted.

Dee Dee will throw lots of facts and technical arguments at Jerry. Jerry does not handle technical arguments well consistently.
But then again you predicted Zakath would do well (if not win) Battle Royale II and we all know what happened there! ;) :D

Ouch!

Jaltus

True, but we all know that was not the same Zak we once knew.

Of course, I am always willing to admit when I am wrong...well, sort of, hehe.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Jaltus
True, but we all know that was not the same Zak we once knew.

Of course, I am always willing to admit when I am wrong...well, sort of, hehe.
He he....

Actually I think it was the same ol' Zak. The problem for Zak was (is) - as my brother always says... "you just can't sell a turd."

JohnV

Re: Jaltus

Re: Jaltus

If he feels a need to respond to every technical point, then yes, that could be a problem. OTOH, if he sticks to the main 'gut' arguments, her technical points could come across as a lack of real substance.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Hey!!! And I was looking to buy a turd. I am going to read the rules thoroughly tonight Knight and will post my acceptance of them once I do.

And Jaltus.... thanx!! I think ;)

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear JohnV:

Hmmmm...... technical arguments show lack of substance??? If you say so.... Maybe if I just go gaa, gaa, and goo, goo I can have real substance (and I am not insinuating that is what Jerry will do - though the futurist position would sound about the same if he did ;) Sorry, couldn't help talking a little trash, humor me.

JohnV

Re: Dee Dee

Re: Dee Dee

Hmmmm...... technical arguments show lack of substance???
They can. Ever here the phrase "just a technicality"? That means the point in question is insubstantive.

Looks like Jerry takes the first point - he was first to agree to the rules!

D

Dee Dee Warren

Dear JohnV:

I actually decided to read them first!!! I have not been much for rules... and perhaps someone could tell me where the rule at TOL is for length of posts... I am trying to find that as I know that I was a flagrant violator before, and just didn't care!!!

Can anyone help me out with that?? Then I will be able to post my agreement and understanding of the rules.

And by the way.... Jaltus didn't say just a technicality... he was referring to real substance. I know, I know put up or shut up.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Phew!!! Okay, I was panicking for a minute when I read the rule for post lengths, but then I noticed that Knight said to refer to his and Zakath's Battle for a good idea of appropriate post lengths, and I can do that ;)

D

Dee Dee Warren

Jaltus, you knew me too well.... am I deluding myself??

D

Dee Dee Warren

How do you all like my new Battle Avatar??? Ggggrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!

Y

Yxboom

I am familiar with both Jerry S. as I have posted along side him for a time in the Dispensational forum and I am familiar with Dee Dee from her consistent posts regarding the preterist view.

Jerry S. has a great chance for he is very eloquent with Scripture and collected in his discussion; however, Jaltus claim is appropriate that many of his proofs can be used to contradict him as he does not tend to cover the context of his proofs while providing them but it will still require a knowledgable opponent to bring this out.

Dee Dee has a great chance cause she is just a ball of spunk and even if she lost you would still be scratching your head afterwards cause she's fast and wouldn't let you admit it. Anyway to simply put it she is a force to be reckoned with agree or disagree with her and I personally fear her.

So I'm expecting a great debate.

D

Dee Dee Warren

LOLOLOL!!! YxBoom, flattery will get you everywhere ;)

And I do agree BTW that Jerry is a worthy opponent. He and I go way back, and that is why I personally invited him to challenge me. But, Jerry also has part of the "credit" for turning me to preterism, so this is an interesting turn of events. It should be very interesting, and I look forward to it.

I realize coming into this that I am the severe underdog, and that is just fine with me. Any points I earn will be hard-earned, and I expect to have to work for them. That is why I have my game face on.... Grrrrhhhhhh!!!!

Boy I hope I get to go first... :D

D

Dee Dee Warren

Whhoooo Hoooo!!! I get to go first!!! But... wait a minute... that means I don't get the last word... grrrhhhhhh!!!! :)

AVmetro

BANNED
Banned
Hot turds!! Hot turds!! Whatever Knight!

Hot turds!! Hot turds!! Whatever Knight!

Get your BOILED HOT TURDS!!! BOILED HOT TURDS FOR SELL!!!

THREE FOR THREE $$$ through PAYPAL!!

"you just can't sell a turd."

Whatever jealous! :mad: Just sit back and watch the mony roll on in!:greedy:....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.