toldailytopic: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members. Good decision or bad decision?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
"When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute, when loyalty to an unyielding purpose is dropped by the virtuous, it’s picked up by scoundrels—and you get the indecent spectacle of a cringing, bargaining, traitorous good and a self-righteously uncompromising evil." -- Ayn Rand

Isaiah 5:20-24 (KJV)

Granite

Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as a "gay child." The problem for the Boy Scouts will be older boys, who have made the wrong decision or have been "gotten to" already, will be around younger boys who are only awakening to their sexual urges. That's exactly what we don't need.

Man are you both ignorant and naive...:rotfl:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
They can and they do. I did night shift at a residential treatment center for the worst cases of sexual abuse in the country. All kids were between the ages of four and twelve.

There were nine boys on one floor, and all nine would use every opportunity to crawl into his neighbor's bed and act out sexually. We had motion detectors, but had to watch them like hawks. What are the odds of having all nine little boys being "born gay" as opposed to being molested into acting out "gay" behaviour?
The obvious flaw in your analysis is that the boys were housed apart from girls. Victims of sexual abuse are sexualized too young and will act out with males and females if given the chance. Most of them will have a preference for females. I will agree that a higher percentage will have some interest in other males (even when girls are available) as compared to nonabused agemates.

I wish you had a better understanding of the differences between the effects of sexual trauma and sexual development in general.

glorydaz

The obvious flaw in your analysis is that the boys were housed apart from girls. Victims of sexual abuse are sexualized too young and will act out with males and females if given the chance. Most of them will have a preference for females. I will agree that a higher percentage will have some interest in other males (even when girls are available) as compared to nonabused agemates.

I wish you had a better understanding of the differences between the effects of sexual trauma and sexual development in general.

I understand acting out because of sexual trauma quite well. My point being these boys grow up believing it's appropriate to have sex with the same sex and many think they're gay. I know you like to deny it, but most gays have sexual abuse in their background. They were not born gay by any stretch of the imagination.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem is not that the Boy Scouts have allowed the young boy members to participate regardless of orientation as most of them shouldn't be engaged in any kind of sexual practices whether they are homosexual practices or heterosexual practices. The problem is that this decision fundamentally changes their pledge and their values.

The boy scout pledge to:
"On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

has now been compromised. I can guarantee the the same pressure that forced this decision will be continually levied against the boy scouts to redefine "morally straight" in such a way as to allow, and even promote, same sex relationships.

Then, once that has been done, those exerting pressure will point out that it is inconsistent to allow moral straightness to include same sex relationships and yet disallow scout leaders who are engaged in same sex relationships.

This isn't the last we have heard on the issue because those who desire to make sure that everyone in america celebrates same sex relationships will not stop until every organization celebrates it, every church embraces it, and every person who dares speak to the contrary is criminalized.
:thumb:

The oath will be changed to:
"On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and turn a blind eye to the morally straight."

moparguy

Bad decision.

Yes, let's send a 16 year old with raging hormones who is attracted to the male gender out into the woods to share a tent with a ten and a half year old boy.

Some people simply do not understand the concept of "do not tempt people if at all possible."

When the scouts start generating stories in the papers like the RCC people might begin to consider the stupidity of this move.

The same people who think this is a good idea would NEVER consider allowing their ten and a half year old daughter to go out into the woods and share a tent with a 16 year old boy.

Morons.

Dena

I have to agree with Uberpod here.

Dena

Bad decision.

The same people who think this is a good idea would NEVER consider allowing their ten and a half year old daughter to go out into the woods and share a tent with a 16 year old boy.

Morons.

I wouldn't let my 10 year old go out into the woods with any teenager that wasn't a sibling. Period.

Lon

Man are you both ignorant and naive...:rotfl:
Er, I had no sexual thoughts until I was about 'puberty.' You know, on the brink between child and adolescence? Think a bit before your guffaws outloud....

Christian Liberty

Bad decision. Another reason to seriously distrust any democracy.

No, this has nothing to do with the tyranny of the majority known as "Democracy." In this case its a private company doing what they want and what their customers demand. Nobody has to send their kids to Boy Scouts. Its a private company that you can choose to associate with or not.

I believe homosexual sex is a sin, but I'm not sure I see any particular reason someone who is homosexually inclined should not be permitted to attend Boy Scouts because he has a certain temptation. I do, however, think that regardless of this, Boy Scouts should be allowed to do what they want. And customers can vote with their wallets. Capitalism at work.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, this has nothing to do with the tyranny of the majority known as "Democracy." In this case its a private company doing what they want and what their customers demand. Nobody has to send their kids to Boy Scouts. Its a private company that you can choose to associate with or not.

I believe homosexual sex is a sin, but I'm not sure I see any particular reason someone who is homosexually inclined should not be permitted to attend Boy Scouts because he has a certain temptation. I do, however, think that regardless of this, Boy Scouts should be allowed to do what they want. And customers can vote with their wallets. Capitalism at work.

For those of you that don't speak Libertarian, what Jr. here is saying is that private companies have every right to teach children that sexual perversion is normal.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 24th, 2013 08:52 AM

toldailytopic: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members. Good decision or bad decision?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Bad decision. We've pulled our support.

glorydaz

Granite said:
Man are you both ignorant and naive...

Er, I had no sexual thoughts until I was about 'puberty.' You know, on the brink between child and adolescence? Think a bit before your guffaws outloud....

Thanks, Lon, for pointing out Granite is a blockhead.

If ridicule doesn't work, gays will even resort to claiming they knew they were gay as they exited the womb........(okay, I made that one up.) :chuckle:

But I have heard them say they've "known from earliest childhood." The proofs they offer for this are really quite humorous. Liking to dress up in women's clothes, for instance........now what little boy doesn't like to play dress up? My three year old grandson thinks he has a baby in his belly, too, does that mean he wishes he was a girl? The least we can do is deal with real facts and not pretend things just are the way they are and there is no hope of them being any different.

IMJerusha

It is a crying shame. Literally. If the girls go the same way, our daughters will not be in the orginization.

Don't waste your time putting your girls in Girl Scouts. Some of it is equally as bad. We did AWANA instead, which teaches them to memorize Scripture, live for God, and share His word.

I get so frustrated with all this acceptance garbage in the name of "tolerance".

Agree with this Pat! Nick, where have you been? The GSA has allowed gay leadership for quite a while now.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Thanks, Lon, for pointing out Granite is a blockhead.
Both of you feel like scholars on this website of low information fools. You hike up your own anecdotal evidence like it is gospel and you end up with egg on your faces. Can't you see that?
But I have heard them say they've "known from earliest childhood." The proofs they offer for this are really quite humorous. Liking to dress up in women's clothes, for instance........now what little boy doesn't like to play dress up?
Most boys like to dress up as something masculine and rarely have interest in anything girly. It bores them. There is the reverse trend with gay people.

My three year old grandson thinks he has a baby in his belly, too, does that mean he wishes he was a girl?
He does have some genes in common with you. You both lack insight and intellectual heft, I suspect. That explains it better.

The least we can do is deal with real facts and not pretend things just are the way they are and there is no hope of them being any different.
I was gay from birth. That's an expression, girlfriend, not a literal statement per se. I believe I had all the precursers of my sexual orientation at birth. My first crush on another boy was when I was five. He was in a play at my school. He had the lead role, Oliver. Once he came over to my house and did some improv comedy in my backyard, and he was nice to me. Your mistake is to deny childhood sexuality altogether because it is not the same as adult sexuality. People like you tend to love to apply graphic adult sexual concepts to children to prove how ludicris the notion of childhood sexuality is. You succeed in looking silly and a bit creepy. There are childish precursers to sexuality in infants even. That fact that you fail to notice them is your problem. Why not get educated.

faramir77

Now they can achieve their 'how to properly insert a tampon' badge whiltst simutainously achiveing their 'how to rout-out a deranged degenerate' _badge.

kudos, N.A.B.S.of. New Babylon !

(you;ve just achived the 'Multi-tasking whlst bending-over to the pressure-group, sell-out' Badge.

glorydaz

Both of you feel like scholars on this website of low information fools. You hike up your own anecdotal evidence like it is gospel and you end up with egg on your faces. Can't you see that?

Stop your sniveling, you're only proving my point. It doesn't take a scholar to state the facts as I've witnessed them with my own eyes. You'll only be happy when all of us act like liberals and bury our heads in the sand.

Most boys like to dress up as something masculine and rarely have interest in anything girly. It bores them. There is the reverse trend with gay people.

Bull. What you don't realize is all those things you did as a kid are done by all kids. You're nothing special in any way. Talk about stereo-typing someone......little boys aren't any more bored by playing dress up than little girls are. I've had boys and I've had girls and I've had a friend with eight boys....so don't be preaching to me about kids.

He does have some genes in common with you. You both lack insight and intellectual heft, I suspect. That explains it better.

Here he goes back to ridiculing in an attempt to make me run away in fear from a fag with a big stick. Won't work.

I was gay from birth. That's an expression, girlfriend, not a literal statement per se. I believe I had all the precursers of my sexual orientation at birth. My first crush on another boy was when I was five. He was in a play at my school. He had the lead role, Oliver. Once he came over to my house and did some improv comedy in my backyard, and he was nice to me. Your mistake is to deny childhood sexuality altogether because it is not the same as adult sexuality. People like you tend to love to apply graphic adult sexual concepts to children to prove how ludicris the notion of childhood sexuality is. You succeed in looking silly and a bit creepy. There are childish precursers to sexuality in infants even. That fact that you fail to notice them is your problem. Why not get educated.

Oh, you had all the "precursers".....bull, again. Not a literal expression, but true in infants, right? You can really sling it, can't you? You were no different than other boys, but you are "schooled" now by every psychologist who ever had a passing thought about what causes gayness. I have news for you....getting "educated" has only allowed you to come up with more excuses for remaining in your sin. Excuses I'm not buying because I know where you're coming from.