toldailytopic: Would you rather fail entirely on principle or succeed in part through

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 12th, 2013 05:00 AM

toldailytopic: Would you rather fail entirely on principle or succeed in part through compromise?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Never compromise when to compromise is to do wrong. :sibbie:

But, other than that, I compromise all the time. :)

Not that it makes me any more successful. :noid:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Compromise is what humans do in order to live together. No one gets everything their own way. Our preferences are always on the table, and we have to compromise those daily.

Principles are things you have decided you can't compromise on. The key is to know the difference.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Sounds like a trick question. On principle I don't think you can fail entirely. Compromise I think you can fail entirely.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I can't wrap my brain around the question. It seems like a principle is the beginning or part of the foundation of a truth. So you can't really fail on principle. If you compromise on the truth then you can fail. Perhaps it is a philosophical question.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Oh the devil is conceited
and he thinks he's very wise
he wants me but he doesn't seem
to recognise my size
he hangs around most every day
to shoot me full of sin
but he might as well be on his way
for I'll never let him win
I'll never let the devil win [clap clap]
I'll never compromise with him [clap clap]
now he may test me with this
he may try me with that
but I'll never let [clap clap] the devil win

Oh I'll never let the devil win [clap clap]

Buzzword

The question seems rigged to demonize the act of compromise, as so many are wont to do these days in politics.

Success only happens through compromise.
You give a little (which to the other side means recieving much), to receive much (which to the other side means giving little).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know what "fail entirely on principal" means. How do we fail on principal?
Refuse to budge and in refusing invite disaster where compromising would get you some but not all of what you're wanting. So you could "stick to your guns" on a no new taxes pledge and lose more than you would by means of compromising on the issue of tax raises in conjunction with reductions in spending, by way of example. Any number of issues where inflexibility might prove to be worse than compromise.

I think some points about moral right are places where compromise isn't possible. A means/ends test of sort.

I'd say Stripe has it centered about right.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This might be a cop-out but I think it depends on the situation. How much of a compromise? What is the principle in question? What are the consequences if I don't compromise?

But Stripe basically has it right, I'd say.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That would depend on what your principle was, and how one is failing on it and what the failure to compromise is also.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Totally depends: situation, question, issue, those you're dealing with, ramifications...

The Berean

Is there any situation in which you'd compromise and root for the Yankees?? :shocked:

That will happen when you root for Brett Favre, kmoney!

brett-favre-young.jpg.bmp

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That will happen when you root for Brett Favre, kmoney!
Thanks for ruining my Fathead surprise...(I drew kmo on this year's Secret Santa list). :mmph:

I was going to add a superimposed photo of a smiling kmo being rushed, but yours was too close. Back to the drawing board then.