Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming libera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming libera

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 6th, 2012 10:40 AM

toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming liberal in their reporting?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Originally posted by Knight View Post
    Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming liberal in their reporting?
    They aren't. It only appears that way to people who spend their time watching, listening to, and believing in media information that is skewed so far to the right that it makes all other medial appear to be skewed to the left.

If you subscribe to right slanted media, you may believe, for example, that all "liberals" hate guns and want to ban them. So when you see ANY report on the main stream media about ANYONE wanting to ban guns, you automatically assume this is a promotion of "liberal" politics.

But in the real world, there are lots of conservatives that support gun control, and most 'liberals" do not in support banning guns. And the same is true for issues such as abortion, taxes, school vouchers, and many others.

But you would never know this if all you pay attention to is the extreme right media, because they paint everything but themselves as the extreme left. But it's not. Mostly, it's just the middle. Most news outlets are trying so hard to be 'middle of the road' that they're banal.

Comment

Reality has a liberal bias (if your perspective is hard enough right).
      “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

- The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

Comment

College.

Comment

toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming liberal in their reporting?

I don't know that they are, but why should that matter to a conservative if most people get their news from the right wing grist mill that is the Fox News Channel?
          You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

Reality has a liberal bias (if your perspective is hard enough right).
            And we have a winner.

Works the other way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post

I don't know that they are, but why should that matter to a conservative if most people get their news from the right wing grist mill that is the Fox News Channel?
              I would submit that we are forced to tune in to Fox News because there is, in fact, a long standing bias against conservative thought in all the other news purveyors.

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
                I would submit that we are forced to tune in to Fox News because there is, in fact, a long standing bias against conservative thought in all the other news purveyors.
                but with the internet you have access to all kinds of reporting, nobody needs to rely on fox news. it blows my mind what that network gets away with. I'm sure there must be newspapers or news networks that aren't solely dedicated to one party surely.

Comment

Originally posted by woopah View Post
                  but with the internet you have access to all kinds of reporting, nobody needs to rely on fox news. it blows my mind what that network gets away with. I'm sure there must be newspapers or news networks that aren't solely dedicated to one party surely.
                  You watch Fox News? Enough to know what they get away with?

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                    I don't know that they are
                    How many times have I warned you about posting on TOL when you are drunk?

No but seriously... you can't be serious? (how's that for a sentence?)

The mainstream media is unapologetically liberal. It's not that as if that's even a big revelation as everyone with half a brain knows it's true. The questions is... why is it so?
                    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
                    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Comment

How about the upcoming cover of Newsweek?

The Wimp Factor: Is he just too insecure to be president?

So who is the author Newsweek chose to give this assignment?

Meet special correspondent Michael Tomasky who's also the editor of Democracy: A Journal of Ideas. Check out its Mission Statement:
                      The mission of Democracy is to build a vibrant and vital progressivism for the twenty-first century that builds on the movement’s proud history, is true to its central values, and is relevant to present times. [...]
                      [W]e seek breakthrough thinking on the concepts and approaches that respond to the central transformations of our time: the breakdown of the ladder of upward mobility; the promise and problems of an information-based, globalized economy; new national security threats which cross old boundaries and defy old assumptions from jihadist terrorism and nuclear proliferation to climate change, pandemics, and poverty; and a society where people work and live in new and different ways. [...]
                      Our ambitions are large – as is the scale of the work before us – but we have no doubt that ideas can change the course of our nation. Now is the time to fashion a new progressivism for the twenty-first century, and we welcome all who are willing to join in this conversation.
                      More can be learned about this "journal of ideas" from an editors' message to readers in 2006:
                      Conservative ideas have dominated our national discourse for most of a generation. No more. The world and this nation are changing too fast to allow for ideologues who will take us backward. But neither do they allow for those timid souls who are satisfied with, or cowed into, protecting an ever-smaller inheritance from being whittled away. Instead, we need to rejuvenate progressivism and send it back on the march with bold ambition to change America and the world for the better.
                      So, an editor of a publication that believes conservatives are "ideologues who will take us backward" was given the job of writing a Newsweek cover story about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

Comment

There are just a bunch of people so far to the right they loose any perspective on what is right wing left wing or centrist.

There are many here.
                        SJKW Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by This Charming Manc View Post
                          There are just a bunch of people so far to the right they loose any perspective on what is right wing left wing or centrist.

There are many here.
                          So do you think the reverse is true? Are there a bunch of people so far to the left they lose any perspective on what is right, left or centrist?

Comment

Yes, but I can only think of one of them who comes here.

Generally here we move from extreme right wing libertarians and social conservatives (but not fascists) through the moderate and centre right to centrists and people on the centre left.

We also have a sprinkling of nut jobs along the way, who I would hate to pin on any political persuasion.

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                            So do you think the reverse is true? Are there a bunch of people so far to the left they lose any perspective on what is right, left or centrist?
                            SJKW Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                              You watch Fox News? Enough to know what they get away with?
                              there's a lot of comedic material in fox news. I cant get the actual network here in Britain but there's quite a few funny clips from the network that get posted on Facebook or get shown to me by people. That's not to say that other news channels aren't as bad if not worse than Fox news but it is obviously not a network that can be trusted.

For example, why do they bother claiming they are 'fair and balanced'? They're basically a republican mouth piece. I know that, you know that, everyone knows that. It amazes me they still claim that with a straight face

Comment

Working...
                              X