toldailytopic: Killed drunk driving. How do you feel about people who kill themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 22nd, 2011 11:01 AM

toldailytopic: Killed dunk driving. How do you feel about people who kill themselves (and others) while drunk driving?

I feel sad, both despite of and because the person made a bad decision.
I feel lucky that it hasn't happened to me and it is a reminder that it isn't worth it, having done so myself before.

But, as others have mentioned, we don't know for sure if he was even drunk. I wouldn't be surprised if he was but I don't think it is necessary to assume at this point. Give it some time before we criticize him.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Roger Ebert has recently taken a lot of heat for posting the following tweet after Jackass star Ryan Dunn killed himself and a friend while drunk driving... "Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive."

Personally, I don't think that's an out-of-line comment. Drunk driving should be stigmatized as stupid and dangerous behavior.

What do you think?
Ryan Dunn embraced the title "jackass" and he embarrassed that risky lifestyle. I have no problem with what Roger Ebert said.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For goodness sake, you have no idea what he was taught.

Then you don't know what the TV Jackass is, or why I say they have bad parents. One of the parents is a regular on the show.

I know people who were taught that drinking was forbidden by the Bible

It isn't forbidden by God. He says not to be a drunk, it will ruin your life.

Guess what? They still drove drunk.

You are a lousy student, if you are as you claim. They are going to do it anyways, right?

Proverbs 22:6

6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

One day your kid/s will be grown and they just might do things you taught them not to do.

She messes up now. We all do. Not doing as told as child and a drunken driver are not the same.

And since we are on the subject, I am opposed to all drunk driving laws. And sobriety checkpoints are a constitutional violation in America.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Killed dunk driving.
How do you feel about people who kill themselves
(and others) while drunk driving?

Their thought must be ... It will never happen to me; and yet I think they know better. It is a bad choice that leaves nothing but death and destruction.

Or kill others and the drunk driver lives...
Those drive drunk and have a crash that leaves them alive and others dead, should do jail time and permanently lose their driving privilege everywhere.

Those who drive drunk and have a crash that leaves them alive but kills a child or children, should do longer jail time, lose their driving privilege permanently everywhere, and have to wear a tee shirt in public that states...​

I was driving drunk
I caused a car crash
That killed a child

~:~

Then I remembered this scene from Dragnet
The Drunk on Dragnet

I have a zero tolerance about driving and drinking, I know you cannot legislate behavior, but that is my opinion, and that cannot be legislated either.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By the title I thought you meant driving under water. Yeah, that's a bad idea too unless you are driving a submarine.

elohiym

toldailytopic: Killed drunk driving. How do you feel about people who kill themselves (and others) while drunk driving?

Generally, not knowing the person, I feel an intellectual sorrow for the dead and those they leave behind. Based on the circumstances, I might feel outrage relative to the degree of irresponsibility demonstrated. However, like the society I live in, I am tolerant of mild intoxication while driving below a legal limit. When I drive, I assume that the majority of other drivers are mildly to severely intoxicated on some substance, whether it be a single beer after work, pain medication, or meth.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I'm sad to see Ryan Dunn gone, I'm a fan of the Jackass series.

Just the same, I've lost a few friends to drunk drivers, or drunk driving themselves. I miss them terribly.

Devils advocate

I personally think getting drunk and driving is one of the stupidest things one can do.Now unlike Nick I have a heart, and do feel sorry for the family of the person who dies. I also feel sorry for the person who died. They may have done something stupid but I in no way feel that they deserve an early death.

They are dangerous ,and I don't think drunk driving should be legal. But I will say again,THEY DON'T DESERVE DEATH!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ryan was smart enough to post pictures of himself (on Twitter) getting drunk, only a short time before the crash.
:kookoo: The show he starred in had a rather rude but apt name. He would fit the definition of the term--filming himself drunk. :dunce: What next?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How many times do you suppose each of these Jackasses have been warned, "You're going to get yourself killed," and scoffed? There's even a warning on their show about how others shouldn't behave like them. But what, the warning doesn't apply to them because they're "professionals"? All that means is that they get paid. And no matter how skilled a driver is, going 140 mph on a public road is extremely dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible even without factoring in that he was drunk. The amazing thing is that something like this didn't happen sooner.

Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
She cries out in the chief concourses,
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:
“How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.
Because I have called and you refused,
I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
Because you disdained all my counsel,
And would have none of my rebuke,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your terror comes,
Proverbs 1:20-26​

Ryan Dunn's death is an object lesson and I hope it will serve as a wakeup call to his fellow Jackasses. His calamity is yet another rebuke. Will they still have none of it?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm with Newman. Drinking and driving is stupid, but it should only be against the law to kill people .. getting plastered and driving at excessive speeds, crashing and killing someone is murder in my book.

keypurr

I personally think getting drunk and driving is one of the stupidest things one can do.Now unlike Nick I have a heart, and do feel sorry for the family of the person who dies. I also feel sorry for the person who died. They may have done something stupid but I in no way feel that they deserve an early death.

They are dangerous ,and I don't think drunk driving should be legal. But I will say again,THEY DON'T DESERVE DEATH!

NEITHER DO THE FOLKS THEY KILL!!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Help me understand what you think the law and punishment should be.

I think it shouldn't be illegal at all. Negligent homicide is already a crime, that according to the Bible should be punished by death. So you think if somebody commits murder they shouldn't die?

Status
Not open for further replies.