Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: What were your favorite childhood toys and why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grade school friends and I had great fun with our dads' axes being regular Paul Bunyans out in the school woods building our log cabin until some other kids destroyed it.
    Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Totally depraved doctrine.
    Uncertain salvation.
    Luck of the draw.
    Irresistible damnation.
    Persecution of the saints.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

Comment

Pitching pennies was fun. We would stand about 10 feet from a wall and each toss a penny at the wall. Whoever got his penny closest to the wall won the other's pennies.

Oh and marbles. Never did learn how it was supposed to be played with the circle but we played army with each of us having 6 or so and trying to flick them accross the rug and hit the other guys knocking them out of the game. Last one with marbles left won. We even had a carpet in our 5th grade hallway and played there during lunch.
      Atheism is a advertising nightmare as in what you see is what you get and when you die that's it. - DaveDodo007

Totally depraved doctrine.
      Uncertain salvation.
      Luck of the draw.
      Irresistible damnation.
      Persecution of the saints.

Courtesy of Desert Reign

Comment

Originally posted by SovereigntyIsGods View Post
        Nothing beats Legos. K'nex tried, but didn't come close.
        I kinda liked the Tyco super blocks. They were compatible with Legos, but the flat pieces were in halves instead of thirds.

Comment

My friends and I built a tree house/platform in a neighbor's tree! Yep, had to take it down too, when the neighbor saw it.

Yet, my favorite of all favorites was any kind of horse toy. Played with my plastic ones for hours and for years.

I have one 12 inch toy horse with saddle accessories and rider, but the plastic accessories seem to be deteriorating. They feel very slimy. It is like they are melting. Anyone with any ideas about what is happening to them and how to retard this process?

Comment

The most common plastic with this kind of degradation is PVC. It can lose the plasticisizers, resulting in a tacky surface with increasing brittleness.

Cellulose acetate can do this also, but with a vinegar-like smell.

Apparently, there isn't much you can do; if they are kept in the cold and dark, that slows the process, but it's not a very practical solution.

I've noted with some dismay that a similar sort of breakdown happens with the plastic used for K&E slide rule cursor parts. You'd be surprised what a tiny piece of plastic can sell for, on the right website.
            This message is hidden because ...

Comment

That's too bad. The horse and cowboy look so sharp in all their accessories. They are at least 55 years old.

It seems that is was about that age when I began to deteriorate too. I wonder if a dark cool place would help me?

Comment

The most common plastic with this kind of degradation is PVC. It can lose the plasticisizers, resulting in a tacky surface with increasing brittleness.

I wonder if a dark cool place would help me?
                I don't know, but you've got me wondering if Sot is made of PVC, now.
                This message is hidden because ...

Comment

Originally posted by Psalmist View Post
                  I remember seeing by brother with his bandaged after the eye thing happened. Most of what happened is sketchy, I do remember all the trips to eye doctor. My brother managed well through the years of his blindness.
                  I recently heard of someone killing another child with one shot from a BB gun. It struck the center of his eye and traveled into his brain. Some neighhbors would go at one another with BB guns. They were two rough boys. I would box one of them, but I never go into their BB gun fights. To them it was just good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
                    Loved my roller skates. We skated for blocks around our neighborhood.I loved skating fast.
                    Yep, same here. My childhood dream was to be the "Next Great Star of Roller Derby" when I grew up.

Other than having the typical barbie dolls as a girl, the only toys I really enjoyed was my tetherball and basketball and hoop.

Comment

Working...
                    X